• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
When he gets out he usually takes off running. In fifteen minutes he will most likely turn back and come home, full of remorse (or at least acting like it), but he does not respond well when I try to call him before he is ready.

I have one of those...

Striker will get out occasionally and run around for about 30 minutes and then come home. He doesn't go far, maybe a lot of 2 in either direction and hangs out in the park next door. I'll call him and he'll look at me and trot off the opposite way. There's just no use going after him because it becomes a game to him and like I said, he'll be back. I don't mind him hanging out, I'd just like him to come when called.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I have one of those...

Striker will get out occasionally and run around for about 30 minutes and then come home. He doesn't go far, maybe a lot of 2 in either direction and hangs out in the park next door. I'll call him and he'll look at me and trot off the opposite way. There's just no use going after him because it becomes a game to him and like I said, he'll be back. I don't mind him hanging out, I'd just like him to come when called.
Obviously, a case of CSDS (Canine Selective Deafness Syndrome), which is caused by dogs having better things to do at the moment. My poodle, Tucker, who's used to running off leash and usually sticks close and definitely comes when called, develops CSDS whenever he gets a whiff of small rodents like voles, chipmonks, or squirrels so I have to physically retrieve him from whatever woodsy area or thicket he's exploring unless I'm willing to wait until he's ready to come back to me.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Ellie is EXTREMELY sociable so when she does get out, we usually get a call within 10 minutes from someone having found her. Typical statements are "we just opened out car door and she hopped right in!" or "I had the front door open and she walked right into the house to say hi to our dogs." We are new to this neighborhood, so the upshot is we have met a lot of neighbors. Apparently this is pretty typical of pit bull and pit mixes (which she is). One profile even said they make terrible watch dogs because "they are so exceedingly friendly, even to strangers." Urp.
Yup! Our pittie mix always wants to say hi to everyone when I take her for a walk. It could be the neighbors out in their yard, someone walking down the road, people riding by on bikes... I definitely have to curb her enthusiasm. She doesn't go anywhere unleashed, even our yard.

otterpop

Cyburbian
We've had T-Joe for about six years. We got him as a kitten for my son. The kitten seemed like a nice fellow but he grew up to be fiesty, irrascible and sometimes just mean. . . He is my frenemy. My nemesis. The Joker to my Batman. . . . He isn't my first choice in a pet. I long for a cat who actually likes me and I can like back. But we are stuck with each other. I am okay with that.
Well, we took T-Joe to the vet to have his teeth cleaned and to have the vet looks at a sore near his eye that wasn't healing. They did a biopsy. T-Joe has cancer. Don't know how invasive it is. At the least he needs X-rays and surgery to remove the cancerous margins of the wound. The vet said it was the kind of cancer that likely is going to come back regardless. We'll see how far this goes.

At some point I know I am going to have to make that quality of life decision for him. Most pet owners have to make those decisions. Often numerous times. I have done it three times already. I hate that.

Domesticated animals (dogs, cats, ferrets, parakeets, cows, horse, pigs, etc.) exist to serve us in some way. If we didn't need them in some way they simply would not exist. There are no Corgis, Persians or Herfords running around in the wild. We made them to provide us some function. We eat them. We test drugs on them for the betterment of our species. We work them (sniffing out drugs, bomb, etc., or herding sheep). In the case of dogs and cats, we keep them for companionship. We do not keep pets for their benefit. We keep them for ours.

With that valuable service of companionship they selflessly provide us comes responsibility on our part to make their short lives as best as possible.

That is the tough part for me. At what point must I decide that T-Joe's quality of life is a greater sum than our family's desire to keep him with us? And what is the dollar amount I am willing to pay to keep him with us? And I am the one who must decide.

There is a little guilt involved as well because as I have mentioned before T-Joe isn't always a joy to live with. In fact, the day we took him to the vet for the teeth cleaning and assesment of his wound, T-Joe bit a vet tech hard enough to break the skin and draw blood. I feel guilty because I don't like him as much as I have other pets I have had, and I know that will color my decisions down the road.

I know I will fret and ponder this dilemma over the coming months or even years, and then finally I will have to make that decision in an examination room of the vet's office to let T-Joe go for his own good and not mine.

Oedipus Rex!

. . . That is the tough part for me. At what point must I decide that T-Joe's quality of life is a greater sum than our family's desire to keep him with us? And what is the dollar amount I am willing to pay to keep him with us? And I am the one who must decide.

There is a little guilt involved as well because as I have mentioned before T-Joe isn't always a joy to live with. In fact, the day we took him to the vet for the teeth cleaning and assesment of his wound, T-Joe bit a vet tech hard enough to break the skin and draw blood. I feel guilty because I don't like him as much as I have other pets I have had, and I know that will color my decisions down the road.

I know I will fret and ponder this dilemma over the coming months or even years, and then finally I will have to make that decision in an examination room of the vet's office to let T-Joe go for his own good and not mine.

Oedipus Rex!
otterpop
I'm so, so sorry to read about this heart-wrenching situation.:( If you can possible get yourself to do so, please post about how things are unfolding....

Also, since your son has loved T-Joe for 6 years, is there a way to get your son involved in the whole decision-making process? (Maybe people in the Raising Children thread can help out with this?)

Veloise

Cyburbian
Introducing a new critter

Thought it might help to make this archival [waves at ZG and RJ]

Kitty #1: lived almost 21 years, with her litter-mates, then various (human) housemates' pets. Very adaptable, no issues.

Kitty #2: started off with a housemate cat friend, became an only. As my worklife involved more travel, I sought to find her a friend. One came along in the form of...

Kitty #3. I selected her because of her deference to #2; she'd roll over and present herself in a posture of subordination ("you may eviscerate me"). She always wanted to get closer to the boss, and finally did about 6 months after they became a duet. I saved photos of them sleeping on the same double bed, with no one getting slashed or beat up.

Kitty #4 presented himself as a bonus to my new townhouse. #2 didn't care that he was climbing on the windowsills and peering in, but #3 found this very entertaining. When the weather got colder, I brought him in (my advertising for his new home didn't work). I swung by a thrift store and found a playpen and a baby gate; put him in it with a litter box and food, with the gate on top as a lid. Came home from work and he'd escaped, was rollicking around with #3. Those two were great good friends. He tried endearing himself to my old princess #2, but she'd have none of it.

#2 crossed the bridge at age 19, and I was very glad to still have two warm bodies around. Then #3 became very ill, at age ten. #4 wanted her to play and have fun, but she couldn't. I had to pull him away from her a few times because his happy presence was not making her feel better.

After I got back from that last vet run with her, I was very glad to have him around...and he was surprised to get cuddled, because I had been taking care of #3.

The two of us moped around for a few days, and then the humane society let me into their foster program. Not even a week later I brought in six-week-old #5. Carefully kept them separated (#4 weighs about 16 lbs) with her in a crate containing all the comforts of home. I'd bring her out and hold her while they sniffed around, then put her back when I needed both hands. She slept in "jail" for a couple of nights. I was feeding her in the bathroom, outside of her crate, and the third morning she came toddling out into the kitchen just like she owned the place. #4 just watched, not pouncing or growling. Within a couple of days she was following him everywhere, cuddling with him to sleep, and eating at the same feeding tray. It's hard to tell who's the alpha now.

I've heard that it helps to select the new pet at a young age and the other gender.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have to take our dog to the Vet on Saturday.

Over the past few years she has developed allergy like symptoms where she will chew at her fur, has dry spots and/or puss filled bumps on her skin, has a lot of nasal drainage, and will on occasion get sick because of the amount of mucus. We have changed out her food several times, tried tons of other medications, even tried dinovite.

They put her on prednisone for a while, but even that seems to no longer be working. Not looking forward to this vet visit.

otterpop

Cyburbian
T-Joe had surgery to remove the cancerous margins. Everything went okay. He didn't bite anyone this time. I had to smile seeing his chart, because written across the folder was "CAUTION!"

Now one eye is swollen shut. He looks like he went a couple rounds with Mike Tyson. He has to wear an e-collar for 10 days, which he hates and has escaped out of twice already. Watching him navigate with the collar on and temporarily one-eyed has been amusing. He runs into a lot of stuff. We are not laughing with him. We are laughing at him.

He has prescriptions for two medicines (that pink liquid we give kids when they are really young and a painkiller) Both given orally, which is a joy considering this is a cat who love to bite people when he is pissed off. So twice a day I have my fingers near very sharp teeth.

The vet says we should keep him out of the sun to avoid a recurrence of the skin cancer. Or I guess I could slather him with sunscreen or get him a big floppy hat.

The One

Cyburbian
Ha

My older daughter was in town this week for a surprise visit from Arizona. While at a fast food place, she noticed some stray cats. She jumped out of the car and chased one down and now she has a new cat to take home:-c:-o:lmao:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard that it helps to select the new pet at a young age and the other gender.
We've been mostly successful with introducing the girl kitten Buttercup to old man Captain. He used to be part of a two cat household but the rescue org he went to when his owner died adopted his housemate separately. He's been an only in my household for 3 years but he's of a pretty good temperament and has done wonderfully well with a toddler who likes to love him to death. The kitten is now 4 months old and a ball of energy, Captain seems less mopey and has gotten some pep back. He will get annoyed if she is being too hyper. The one issue we have with her is trying to stop her from suckling on his stomach 8-!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We adopted another shelter dog on Tuesday.His name is Buddy. However, Buddy and Jack are not getting along very well at this point.

Planit

Cyburbian
We have friends that live a couple doors down. They have been without a dog for a couple years after their old one passed away.

A couple weeks ago they got a dog from the pound. He looks very similar to our dog - could be (probably are) cousins. They have now had 3 play-dates together - well truth be told, they brought Murray over when they came over to the house to sit on the deck and drank beer with us. Our dog is 4 years old and theirs is 6 months old. The energy was fun to watch and they did get along until ours wanted to be left alone, however no growls. So now it looks like the boys will be able to play together with no problems.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Is there a medical reason why the oral medications can not be mixed into some "really delicious" wet cat food twice a day?
One is a painkiller that has to be applied to the gums and the other is an antibiotic that I don't think he would eat if you put it in his food. Right now he is pretty miserable morale-wise. The e-collar gets him down and he can't get comfortable. Made him a bit sulky and sometimes clingy. But this too shall pass.

It is beginning to look like he is going to have a wicked scar on his face, so he can impress the other cats when he finally gets to go out.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Sudden loss vs. gradual

Mine have all been of the "I know this day is coming and I dread it" for weeks or months. (Except for my father's Super Cat, who very suddenly developed cardiac issues and died at the e-vet place about 14 hours after the old man died in a procedure room at a human hospital.)

Either way, it's tough. Thinking about a Cyburbian who hasn't mentioned it on here...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We lost the greatest cat ever. If we could post pics, well...We got Tigger when he was 6 months old and my kid was 7 and he was a big 18 pound baby, and I spent his last two days in the closet he decided to sit in. As the other cat we lost in April 2013, his demise came fast, from a tumor on his liver. Cats are just as loveable as dogs. I now have one cat from 3 18 months ago, and she is freaking out.

What RJ didn't say is, we had to have Tigger put down on Christmas Eve, which for me at least made this the most depressing Christmas ever.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What RJ didn't say is, we had to have Tigger put down on Christmas Eve, which for me at least made this the most depressing Christmas ever.
I'm very sorry for your loss. It's painful losing a member of the family.:(

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss ZG and RJ. My thoughts are with you. I know it's especially difficult experiencing loss around the holidays.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about Tigger's passing. My heart goes out to you.

Planit

Cyburbian
That's a tough one ZG. Sorry to hear about that Tigger. Good long & loved life!!!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thanks, all. It's still painful. Although I had tried to prepare my son, it was absolutely awful telling him. Well, nothing like telling him his grandma had passed, they were very close, but losing another childhood pet was so tough. No plans on another cat anytime because losing two in under two years is just too much.

The last one is 9; when she goes, I'll take them all back to the pond behind the house they lived in with us in central FL, and scatter their ashes. That's all my kid asked.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I lost my Roscoe suddenly. He went out to play and his heart stopped. At just short of 12 years he was still going very strong and I expected him to be around for a long time. Either because of the suddenness or because of the bond we had, it took a long time to get over his loss.

When Sukros passed we knew it was coming. She slowed down a lot in her final years. Just before her 13th birthday she was diagnosed with cancer. Six months later she passed away. Though I missed her, I was prepared for her loss, and it was easier to take.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Waiting at the bridge

As most of my FB friends are pet folks, there's often a description of a furry buddy crossing over. No matter the beliefs, it's comforting to think of fellow critters waiting for the reunion at the rainbow bridge.

otterpop

Cyburbian
We've had T-Joe for about six years. We got him as a kitten for my son. The kitten seemed like a nice fellow but he grew up to be fiesty, irrascible and sometimes just mean. But he loves the boy. Just didn't cotton to me much. When we got him we had another cat, so T-Joe and I kept our distance. The other cat (Sitka) took the Big Sleep some time ago.

Since then T-Joe has mellowed some. He is still irrascible and plenty fiesty. But since I feed him and give him the most attention, he seems to like me in his own way. He is always the first to greet me when I come home.

He is my frenemy. My nemesis. The Joker to my Batman. I am pretty sure he likes messing with me as much as I like messing with him.

Our favorite interaction is the garage door. When I pull out of the garage and lower the garage door remotely, this is when he decides to run under the door and set off the electric eye. The door raises again and I lower it, and he runs through again, causing the door to stop and raise again. I just know he is doing it on purpose. He thinks he is so friggin funny. His personal best is doing it four times in a row. I was really tempted to get out of the car and give him a high-five. It was brilliant.

Of course I mess with him too. Touch his ear while he is sleeping, which annoys him. Or poke him in the stomach which really annoys him.

But when the magpies were dive-bombing him and running him toward a busy street, I stepped in to rescue him. No one messes with T-Joe unless it is me.

He isn't my first choice in a pet. I long for a cat who actually likes me and I can like back. But we are stuck with each other. I am okay with that.
Well, we took T-Joe to the vet to have his teeth cleaned and to have the vet looks at a sore near his eye that wasn't healing. They did a biopsy. T-Joe has cancer. Don't know how invasive it is. At the least he needs X-rays and surgery to remove the cancerous margins of the wound. The vet said it was the kind of cancer that likely is going to come back regardless.

Domesticated animals (dogs, cats, ferrets, parakeets, cows, horse, pigs, etc.) exist to serve us in some way. If we didn't need them in some way they simply would not exist. . . In the case of dogs and cats, we keep them for companionship. We do not keep pets for their benefit. We keep them for ours.

With that valuable service of companionship they selflessly provide us comes responsibility on our part to make their short lives as best as possible.

That is the tough part for me. At what point must I decide that T-Joe's quality of life is a greater sum than our family's desire to keep him with us? And what is the dollar amount I am willing to pay to keep him with us? And I am the one who must decide.

Oedipus Rex!
Well, today is the day. His Supreme Rat Bastard had a bad weekend. That never-healing sore that we were living with became something he could no longer ignore. He scratched and scratched at it. Even when we put on the e-collar. It became too much for him to bear. Too much for the family to bear.

So I will leave work early, pick up my son and his cat, and take T-Joe to the vet to give him release. We'll cremate him and come Spring (once the ground is no longer frozen) we will bury him in the shade of the lilac bush where the other cat rests.

I'll miss that son-of-a-bitch.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well, today is the day. His Supreme Rat Bastard had a bad weekend. That never-healing sore that we were living with became something he could no longer ignore. He scratched and scratched at it. Even when we put on the e-collar. It became too much for him to bear. Too much for the family to bear.

So I will leave work early, pick up my son and his cat, and take T-Joe to the vet to give him release. We'll cremate him and come Spring (once the ground is no longer frozen) we will bury him in the shade of the lilac bush where the other cat rests.

I'll miss that son-of-a-bitch.
Sorry for your loss otterpop.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for your loss Otterpop.

My sweet boy Captain Kitty has gone blind and I am taking it hard because I feel like a bad pet mommy. The vet said he is otherwise healthy apart from weight loss (because he can't see) and there's nothing that likely would have stopped it. He's doing better though and seems to be adapting well enough. His eating is improving, he's set up shop under the side table next to the couch, and seems otherwise content.

otterpop

Cyburbian
The Rat Bastard went out like he lived much of his life - spitting, growling, hissing and DEFIANT - right up to the very end. It was a good and appropriate send-off.

RIP :m:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
The Rat Bastard went out like he lived much of his life - spitting, growling, hissing and DEFIANT - right up to the very end. It was a good and appropriate send-off.

RIP :m:
Aww I'm sorry Otterpop. He leaves you with some great :m: stories to tell.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Captain Kitty had a vet check this weekend because he is still doing poorly. He is eating, drinking, and using the box ok but he hasn't gained any weight and just spends most of his time curled up on his mat under the coffee table. We have a wonderful vet and he was pretty straight with us saying that his time will come soon and that it's likely bowel disease, but it isn't now. RT is devastated and I'm very sad because he's an awesome kitty. He still snuggles and purrs so we're going to love him a little longer before we say goodbye.

wahday

Cyburbian
oh my beagle guy was the same way. Was a nut from 6pm to about 11pm. My other dog I swear is part cat... sleepy and lazy. He is sight hound...very little endurance.
sleeping hound.....
norrie2.jpg
That is an interesting observation. I have recently discovered that our newest canine is half pit bull and half whippet. She is pretty much sprinting or sleeping.

Planit

Cyburbian
Our dog Striker has had a time with ear infections. Its been a reoccurring issue for a couple of years. We'll get it knocked out and a couple months later its back again. This summer has been a constant battle. No matter what the vet has tried to do, the ear infections come back now within days.

Out vet was beyond ideas a couple of weeks ago and took a culture and sent it off to NCSU veterinary school for analysis. It came back with 2 different bacteria basically fighting for supremacy in his ears. They mixed up a special antibiotic cocktail that has to be packed in each ear every Monday for 3 weeks. When I brought Striker home this Monday he was listless and whimpered for most of the night. Finally last night there was no ongoing whimper and he seems to be a little chipper now. We're also feeding him meds shoved into treats - he takes those very well. For 2 more Mondays, I'll be dropping him off at the vet on the way to work and picking him up on the way home.

I REALLY hope this takes care of the issue. It hasn't been fun and he's suffered.

Planit

Cyburbian
Well here it is a year later. Nothing has worked to cure my dog's ear infections, particularly his right ear. His left ear seems to be clear (for now). Through everything we've been through and our vet has tried has amounted to nothing really except an education for me and my vet.

He shakes his head and rubs his ear very often. About a month ago a growth showed up on his neck which ended up being drainage from his ear. We have been to the vet and a specialist several times over the last 2 months. Tomorrow we are taking him to have surgery. The veterinarian surgeon is taking out his right ear canal and middle ear...basically removal of the issue. He was going to do both ears at first leaving Striker deaf, but has now decided the left ear could probably remain in good condition since it has not flared up in the last year.

We're staying home over the weekend to take care of our 9 year old rescue dog and keep an eye on him. He'll have stitches and wear the 'cone of shame' to prevent scratching.

My kennel friend calls it "Lab ears" and the vet says this is very common with cocker spaniels. I really hope this is the end of his problem.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We are seriously looking into pet insurance. Anyone ever do this?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
We are seriously looking into pet insurance. Anyone ever do this?
With the amount of times I've had to take my little dog to the emergency vet after the big dog snapped at her (and other miscellaneous emergencies), it would've been worth it for me to have it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Planit: I hope all goes well with the ear surgery. That sounds like a massive undertaking, just getting rid of the home of all the bacteria. I wonder if there's something in the canal or middle ear that just prevents a total clearing of the infection. Keep us posted on how pup handles the surgery and afterwards.

Planit

Cyburbian
Went during lunch to pick up my dog. He looks so pitiful with the side of his head shaved and the cone of shame.

Everything went well with no major surprises. Ear canal was in tact with no ruptures, so no leakage into other parts. Middle ear was completely packed with puss/infection. He tore out his drain line almost as soon as he woke up. He needs to rest this weekend and give him antibiotics and pain pills. We still await news on the biopsy and a re-check in 10 days. The surgeon talked & acted like it was basically routine & very confident that all should be good now.

So far, so good. Right now he's resting at home.

Planit

Cyburbian
Striker got his stitches and staples out today. Doc said everything looked great & to finish the antibiotics and that should be about it. Great news.

The only concern is that the 'cone of shame' had more or less protected the area. Vet said let it stay off this afternoon and inspect the incision areas daily...plus they trimmed his nails just as a precaution.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Now that the stitches and staples are out, the urge to itch should also go down. My girl had an booboo on her paw that was a PITA to keep her from chewing on - she's a Saluki so long snouted! But once the wound was mostly healed she stopped chewing, and the vet said it just didn't itch anymore.

I'm glad that it seems to have gone well. Poor pup, and poor humans, for having to go through all this!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
When my dog got hit by a car this spring she needed stitches and had to wear a cone of shame. Each cone lasted about two days before she completely and utterly destroyed it. She would purposefully run into the wall to break the cone.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Our girl is a little off her feed, I guess you'd say. For the past couple of days, she just isn't eating as much. She still drinks water and eats treats, but the overall volume of kibble is down a bit.

She usually would eat a smidge less than two scoops of kibble a day, mostly in the evenings. She would snack overnight, so in the morning the bowl would be empty. One scoop in the morning, about half gone by dinner, which is when a second scoop would be added.

Since Sunday she isn't eating as much in the evenings/overnight. I'm not worried yet, as she still eats/drinks and has interest in her walks, etc. I don't know if our funky weather has her upset, or if she's just starting to show some signs of aging. We are watching to see if this is the new norm, or if she reverts back to previous eating habits.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My son's dog is like that. We feed our dogs at the same time, each one eats the full bowl and that's it, twice a day. But once a day or perhaps every other day, it simply isn't interested in food. Either wait a bit and then he'll eat, or it just sits until next mealtime.

He has stomach issues so he has to have the bland, limited ingredient, sensitive stomach stuff, so maybe he's just bored with his food. As with your dog, everything is pretty much normal.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Our dog occasionally is off her feed. We use food and treats all the time as a training tool, so we've adopted the practice of restricting feeding times. The rule is - after she has had several minutes to 'greet' everyone in the morning and calm down, her bowl is then filled and left out for 10 minutes. If during that 10 minutes she elects not to eat the food it goes away and she has to wait until evening for it to be refilled to eat. If she's still not hungry in the evening we know with certainty that she's not feeling well and it's time to see the vet.