• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Dogs live in the present and don't harbor anger.

People could learn a lot about living well from dogs. They enjoy simple pleasures that too many humans ignore: playing with friends, burrowing in fresh snow, swimming on a hot day, running just to feel the wind in their faces, etc. I defy anybody to watch a group of dogs at play and not smile.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Our Lizzy enjoyed her first Christmas this year. Besides her best gift - the love of a family, instead of being chained to a tree outside - she scored a box of jerky treats, a bag of treats, pigs ears, rawhides, a new purple leash to match her purple collar, and a new stuffed toy. Her nose lef her to her treats. We wrapped some in tissue paper for her and Luke to open and devour on Christmas morning (as well as a couple on Christmas eve). The best part of the evening was while we sat in the family room and Lizzy quietly disappeared into the other room. She reappeared a moment later, having pulled a sealed bag of treats from her stocking, which she dropped at our feet. The puzzle was Luke's present. It took him less than five seconds to figure out how to move the disks with his paws so that he could get to the hidden treats.

http://arescuedogstale.wordpress.com/2012/12/25/merry-christmas/dscn9189/#main

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
5.5 years since the kid and I lost our dog; RJ loved her, too. Kid and I are wanting a dog; RJ is a hard sell. All we need to do is find a good doggy-boarding place for when we travel. I miss having a dog, never gone this long.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Christmas was quiet this year for our two furry family members. They are both old, and on restricted diets, so we couldn't get them just any old treats. So one new bag of Newman's Own small treats - cheese flavor - and one large bag of Yummy Chummies - original flavor - and the dogs are happy. They get both mixed in with their usual, so they will last for a little bit.

No squeaky toys this year!! They have enough.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
5.5 years since the kid and I lost our dog; RJ loved her, too. Kid and I are wanting a dog; RJ is a hard sell. All we need to do is find a good doggy-boarding place for when we travel. I miss having a dog, never gone this long.

She is still available....

http://www.raisingaidfordogsatrisk.org/juniper

There is something about this one that tells me she is a true gem. We would take her in ourselves, but we have not had Lizzy for that long, and we already have two dogs.

Salmarissa - Yummy Chummies are great! They are a favorite treat here too.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
My dog LOVES squeaky toys, but she always ends up 'killing' the squeaker.

My former dog, Rusty, who will be gone 1 year tomorrow, and my current dog, Tucker, could NOT possibly be more different when it comes to dog toys. Rusty, a German Shorthaired Pointer, who lived to hunt -- and kill -- furry rodents had a large collection of stuffed squeaky toys that he loved but never, ever destroyed. A few squeakers died and I've sewn up a few torn seams over the years, but I still have his very first and most favorite stuffed "woodchuck". Tucker, a Poodle who is totally clueless about hunting, "kills" the squeaker and destuffs any toy he really likes and ignores the ones he doesn't like. His Christmas "hedgehog" is now totally destuffed, its squeaker in the garbage since Tuesday AM.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My former dog, Rusty, who will be gone 1 year tomorrow, and my current dog, Tucker, could NOT possibly be more different when it comes to dog toys. Rusty, a German Shorthaired Pointer, who lived to hunt -- and kill -- furry rodents had a large collection of stuffed squeaky toys that he loved but never, ever destroyed. A few squeakers died and I've sewn up a few torn seams over the years, but I still have his very first and most favorite stuffed "woodchuck". Tucker, a Poodle who is totally clueless about hunting, "kills" the squeaker and destuffs any toy he really likes and ignores the ones he doesn't like. His Christmas "hedgehog" is now totally destuffed, its squeaker in the garbage since Tuesday AM.

Funny thing about Luke. He will destroy just about any stuffed toy we give him - except one. A couple days after we picked him up as a puppy we took him to the store and let him pick out a toy. His choice was a small pink lamb with curly nylon hair. He will look for it and carry it around, but he has never tried to rip it open. Now that we have Lizzy, who is also a destroyer, we have had to put it out of reach. :(

Linda_D

Cyburbian
On the one year anniversary of the passing of my best bud for 15+ years, here's a pic of Rusty from his halcyon days, and a link to his photos on my FLICKR photostream: Rusty.

4602530960_4577e53a38.jpg

Linda_D

Cyburbian
What a great collection. He certainly had a very good life.

He was a very lucky dog given that he probably started his life in a puppy mill and spent his first 5-6 months undernourished, unexercised, and crated in a crate that was too small for him. He was rescued by the New York GSP Rescue from a suburban NYC pet shop in 1996. I can't imagine what he looked like when they got him because he looked like a 2 x 4 with legs and a tail when I adopted him in July, 1996. He added so much weight and muscle from good food and exercise in those first few months that he went into winter, 1996-1997 with a virtually hairless chest because he finally developed the deep chest that's a GSP hallmark.

Despite that tough start, he was healthy his entire life, although arthritis caught up with him the last couple of years and really hobbled him (of course, he was around 100 in "dog years" by then). Aside from a few torn dewclaws and muscle pulls and some kind of nasty abscess he developed in 2009, Rusty was literally never sick. He even avoided a bout with bordatella that nearly killed some of his pals from Bergman Park back around 2002.

I'm really torn between rescuing another GSP or just rescuing another breed or mix. They are a high maintenance breed that require, minimally, mutliple hours of outdoors time daily. Tucker, a standard Poodle, is much easier as he's not nearly as high energy.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My two Italian Greyhounds are both rescues. While I love the breed, they are not for everyone. I've been suggesting to hubby that next time around, we adopt former racing greyhounds. They are indoor dogs, because the fur is thin and too much sun can literally give them a sunburn, and they are gentle. He thinks it's too much dog, though. So we may be an Iggie family next time round, too.

My two love their Christmas presents! The cheese treaties are a big hit, so I may have to find a regular supplier. The Yummy Chummies are familiar, and yummy, but right now the new cheese treats are the bestest! The dogs sit to get their treaties. The boy dog usually stands to chew his treats, but he likes these so much he will stay seated in an effort to prove that he deserves another. :w:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
My two Italian Greyhounds are both rescues. While I love the breed, they are not for everyone. I've been suggesting to hubby that next time around, we adopt former racing greyhounds. They are indoor dogs, because the fur is thin and too much sun can literally give them a sunburn, and they are gentle. He thinks it's too much dog, though. So we may be an Iggie family next time round, too.

My two love their Christmas presents! The cheese treaties are a big hit, so I may have to find a regular supplier. The Yummy Chummies are familiar, and yummy, but right now the new cheese treats are the bestest! The dogs sit to get their treaties. The boy dog usually stands to chew his treats, but he likes these so much he will stay seated in an effort to prove that he deserves another. :w:

You know, when I was shopping for your Secret Santa gift, I thought about getting you something greyhound-related, but I wasn't sure whether your pooches were Greyhounds or Italian Greyhounds. The Italian Greyhounds are smaller, aren't they?

Linda_D

Cyburbian

Racing greyhounds are notorious couch potatoes, and really make excellent apartment/small house dogs. They are bred to be really short sprinters, so they'll run really fast for a little bit and then be done. The Salukis, Afghans, and other sight hounds are the ones that can run forever ... and GSPs.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
You know, when I was shopping for your Secret Santa gift, I thought about getting you something greyhound-related, but I wasn't sure whether your pooches were Greyhounds or Italian Greyhounds. The Italian Greyhounds are smaller, aren't they?

Yeah, some people call them minature greyhounds, but that is incorrect. My girl dog has AKC papers, but she is too tall, too wide and too long to be a show dog. Boy dog has perfect Iggie measurements, but his broken tail and the way his front legs angle when he sits means he can't be a show dog either. Oh well, they make perfect house pets and companions! :w:

Getting one of the Salukis or long distance runners would be good for hubby, since he runs a lot. However, he doesn't want to take a dog on runs. So we'll stick with the small or large couch potatoes.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Our little 13 y.o. cat has been out of sorts for a week or so. I took her to the vet today. Dehydrated, seems to have developed arthritis in her hips, and has lost an alarming amount of weight (and she was only 7.5 lbs to begin with). They did some blood tests, thinking it may be a thyroid thing, rehydrated her, gave her some pain meds. Keeping my fingers crossed.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Sending good thoughts to your little kitty, ZG. I hope the vets can discover and treat what ever is making her uncomfortable. Dramatic weight loss in an older pet can also be a sign of an issue with the kidneys. :(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sending good thoughts to your little kitty, ZG. I hope the vets can discover and treat what ever is making her uncomfortable. Dramatic weight loss in an older pet can also be a sign of an issue with the kidneys. :(

The dehydration would also make me worry about the kidneys. I've seen it often with our cats over the years.

ZG, I hope your kitty is okay and back up and running in no time.:m:

btrage

Cyburbian
My dog is going to be 10 in a couple of months. I need to start getting used to him being "older". His once limitless energy at all hours of the day is starting to subside, and it's weird.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Our little 13 y.o. cat has been out of sorts for a week or so. I took her to the vet today. Dehydrated, seems to have developed arthritis in her hips, and has lost an alarming amount of weight (and she was only 7.5 lbs to begin with). They did some blood tests, thinking it may be a thyroid thing, rehydrated her, gave her some pain meds. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The cat that was foisted on us when the MIL passed has a thyroid deficiency. It was always a small cat but now it only weighs 4.5 pounds. Only takes it's medicine when it wants to but it seems healthy other than the weight. We've given up on the blood tests because there isn't any way to consistently keep it medicated for meaningful tests. I'd already have another dog if it wasn't for that cat. :-{

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thanks for the good thoughts, y'all.

The vet called late this afternoon: blood tests all normal, no indication of thyroid, kidney, or blood sugar issues. He wants me to pick up some pain and arthritis meds tomorrow, and try those for a few days, and see how she's doing. He thinks the pain and discomfort from the arthritis may be affecting her appetite. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A vet who specializes in cats (and lives one street over) told us that our cat was in horrible shape, was going to die, and should be put down. Almost five years later we did have to put her down. You got good news. I'll hope you get twice as many years.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
A vet who specializes in cats (and lives one street over) told us that our cat was in horrible shape, was going to die, and should be put down. Almost five years later we did have to put her down. You got good news. I'll hope you get twice as many years.

Thanks. I have way less experience with cats than dogs. We always had a dog starting when I was 5 up until our last one had to be put down before the kid and I moved up here. We lost one cat to diabetes at age 13, then another lived to 18 and apparently had a heart attack jumping up on my bed while I was at work. The one who is sick now was abandoned by her first "family" and was severely malnourished, and pregnant, when we got her at 9 months, so her early history can't help.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Thanks. I have way less experience with cats than dogs. We always had a dog starting when I was 5 up until our last one had to be put down before the kid and I moved up here. We lost one cat to diabetes at age 13, then another lived to 18 and apparently had a heart attack jumping up on my bed while I was at work. The one who is sick now was abandoned by her first "family" and was severely malnourished, and pregnant, when we got her at 9 months, so her early history can't help.

Some vets tend to underestimate what people can and will do for their pets. We have a really good vet now who understands us. He has no problem listening to what we have to say and trusting us. We have given the cat and a couple of our dogs IV fluids, force-fed them, cleaned wounds, and more. Not long ago we brought our two sick pups in on his day off. One of the other vets was yelling because they were in such awful shape, and would die if they were not admitted to the hospital. There was also no way she was going to give them the antibiotic we requested. She did not bother to see that the pups had been much worse before we got them. Of course both pups survived. When the cultures came in the vets found that it was very serious, and the correct treatment was... the medicine we requested. (we had requested it because the vets where these dogs had been in shelter had lost a number of dogs with similar symptoms, and the puppies that survived got this drug.)

The pet also has a role in this. I read an interesting story a while back about an old man who brought his old dog to the vet. (The story was written by the vet.) The vet wanted to put him down but the old guy just couldn't bear to do it, and the dog appeared to want to stay with him as long as possible. The dog ended up getting better - for a while. The two passed away on the same day.

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

Glad to hear that everything is working out ZG. We have always had rescue pets and have never regretted it, We had a vet recommend a fountain for our cat a few years ago when he had similar problems to your companion. The fountain worked wonders and he lived to 21 years, We have the same fountain for our "new" cats and because it is actually a dog fountain there is no problem and it is good for the dog also, We change the filters every two weeks, and it not that expensive. Just add water as necessary, Because of job reclocations, we are now on our third vet and without exception they have told us that drinking fountains are good for our pets, Hope everything continues to work for the best. They provide us with unconditional love and are truely wonderful companions.:)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I let my dogs out ten times since 6:30 PM. Ten times. I can't take this anymore.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
These posts just make me miss our vet from back in C FL. Not that the one here is bad, I just don't know him so well after 10 years with the other one. It sometimes seems more important to have a good vet than to have a good people doc. Maybe because a really good vet knows your pets when they can't talk. RJ would say I'm nuts for posting this.

P.s. After several days of joint meds and pain meds, kitty seems to be doing a bit better. We have one more day of meds and then I take her back to the vet to be weighed.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I let my dogs out ten times since 6:30 PM. Ten times. I can't take this anymore.

My elderly girl dog is on Disal as part of the treatment for her major heart murmur. It makes her drink 2-3 bowls of water per dose, and she gets two doses a day. So the trips outside increase exponentially in the 1-3 hours after taking a pill. I feel your pain! At night, she will go pee on a pee pad in the bathroom, rather than wake us up to go outside, but otherwise she prefers grass tickling her butt.

The boy dog will go outside almost every time you open the door. He may not actually do anything other than watch her, but he goes out.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Back to the vet today. Kitty has lost another half pound. She got a shot today that may help with any tummy issues, and the vet ordered a new food for her to try. No fun there, with 3 cats, and trying to separate them at meal time. It may just be that a creaky hip may make it too much trouble to head to the vittles bowl, similar to an elderly person, although I wouldn't think she's especially elderly for a cat, but she was severely undernourished as a kitten and maybe that factors in. Next step may be a series of injections to help with joint issues.

TOFB

Cyburbian
What timing for this thread. We said goodbye to our beloved dog Sophie today. One month short of 17. Very sad day. :(

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What timing for this thread. We said goodbye to our beloved dog Sophie today. One month short of 17. Very sad day. :(

A good, long life for Sophie. I'm sorry to hear about it. :(

Veloise

Cyburbian
Therapy...

Thanks everybody. It is weird 'cleaning up' today.

Having gone through this twice in about 18 months, I found it helpful to assemble all the artifacts. Digital photos in one big folder. My "failed foster" kitten jumped right into playing with her predecessor's favorite toys, which was healing.

(((TOFB)))

Cardinal

Cyburbian
How do you cope with the loss of a very loved pet?

When Roscoe passed we kept some of his favorite toys along with is collar and some hair. I wrote down some of the things he did that made him so special. I have the thought of getting a very special piece of wood to make a box for all these things, plus his ashes. I picture something with a lot of grain, and not planed smooth.

With Sukros, again we saved her collar a couple toys, but she was never all that into toys. I put together a photo album coverning the last eight years when I knew her. We have a lot of her hair because I began saving it when I brushed her. She was so soft. (As we parted from her at the vet's office, the last thing I did was close my eyes and run my fingers through her coat.) If I made a box for her it would have to be something very special. Maybe birdseye maple.

Planit

Cyburbian
While out today, I drove past a house with a pitbull tied up in front of the house. The worst part was the leash was less than 6' long and it was tied to a cinder block. I got back to the office and called the animal shelter. Their reply was 'So'

Disheartening

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm afraid my little cat is "shutting down". She was very lively a couple weeks ago, after being sick for a bit. According to the kid, she was fine the first few days RJ and I were in Chicago, then quit eating her once a day canned food (first time ever for that). She has not eaten that for 5 days now, and I didn't see her eat at all today. The vet can't do anything more. We knew from when we adopted her that she was severely malnourished and might have a compromised lifetime, but I am still very upset and worried.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I'm afraid my little cat is "shutting down". She was very lively a couple weeks ago, after being sick for a bit. According to the kid, she was fine the first few days RJ and I were in Chicago, then quit eating her once a day canned food (first time ever for that). She has not eaten that for 5 days now, and I didn't see her eat at all today. The vet can't do anything more. We knew from when we adopted her that she was severely malnourished and might have a compromised lifetime, but I am still very upset and worried.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you talked to your vet about assisted feedings? Cats can turn themselves anorexic under times of stress but it doesn't have to be the end. My one kitty did this a few years ago and it looked grim for awhile but we managed to pull him through with a special routine of assisted feedings. It involved feeding him small amounts of food via syringe multiple times a day.