• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Veloise

Cyburbian
I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you talked to your vet about assisted feedings? Cats can turn themselves anorexic under times of stress but it doesn't have to be the end. My one kitty did this a few years ago and it looked grim for awhile but we managed to pull him through with a special routine of assisted feedings. It involved feeding him small amounts of food via syringe multiple times a day.
Meat-flavored baby food (e.g. Gerber) can persuade them to eat. Get the straight meat & water mixtures, none of this chicken noodle soup business.

Feeling for ya, ZG. Went through the fragile kitty routine just last fall.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you talked to your vet about assisted feedings? Cats can turn themselves anorexic under times of stress but it doesn't have to be the end. My one kitty did this a few years ago and it looked grim for awhile but we managed to pull him through with a special routine of assisted feedings. It involved feeding him small amounts of food via syringe multiple times a day.
We went through the same thing twice, along with IV fluids. The first time she was lost for three weeks and had lost half her weight. The second time was getting close to the end. Less than a year later she passed.

In the end, it is not what you can do now, but what you did in the past. You gave her love and a wonderful home.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Meat-flavored baby food (e.g. Gerber) can persuade them to eat. Get the straight meat & water mixtures, none of this chicken noodle soup business.

Feeling for ya, ZG. Went through the fragile kitty routine just last fall.
I'll second the meat-flavored baby food suggestion... if that doesn't work, try to keep your cat comfortable.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm sorry to hear that. :( How old is she?
Almost 14.

Thanks for the ideas and kind thoughts, all. I'll try mixing some cat pate with warm water when the kid can help me try to get a little food and fluids into her, and if that doesn't work, we'll pick up the baby food. In the meantime, I've given her a dose of painkiller so she's a little loopy right now.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Does she like tuna fish? Blend some in the blender and see if she'll eat that. One of my previous cats did that after I had been away for almost a week for surgery, and that's how I got her to start eating again, and she lived another 2 years.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Almost 14.

Thanks for the ideas and kind thoughts, all. I'll try mixing some cat pate with warm water when the kid can help me try to get a little food and fluids into her, and if that doesn't work, we'll pick up the baby food. In the meantime, I've given her a dose of painkiller so she's a little loopy right now.
You might also try heating up the food a tiny bit. Warm food emanates more odor. In my experience putting a little bit of food on your finger and allowing kitty to lick it off your finger can sometimes help.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
You might also try heating up the food a tiny bit. Warm food emanates more odor. In my experience putting a little bit of food on your finger and allowing kitty to lick it off your finger can sometimes help.
She seemed awkward trying to drink her water (hip problem) so I filled her bowl on the porch up to the rim, and she drank a lot. Also ate half a dozen cat treats and a few licks at cat pate mixed with water. Asleep now on a towel on a dining room chair.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
No luck with baby food, milk, tuna in a blender with water, or even peanut butter. I thought all cats liked peanut butter. The kid said she ate a few bites of dry food last night, and she's been drinking plenty of water, but I saw her eat 3 tiny cats treats today and never saw her near the litter box. If she's still with us, I'll call the vet first thing in the morning.

RJ doesn't seem to think cats are on the same level as dogs so I should not be upset.

And I am completely stressed out by this.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
No luck with baby food, milk, tuna in a blender with water, or even peanut butter. I thought all cats liked peanut butter. The kid said she ate a few bites of dry food last night, and she's been drinking plenty of water, but I saw her eat 3 tiny cats treats today and never saw her near the litter box. If she's still with us, I'll call the vet first thing in the morning.

RJ doesn't seem to think cats are on the same level as dogs so I should not be upset.

And I am completely stressed out by this.
Your stress is understandable and valid. You love this little being. I'm sorry to hear that none of the food tricks are working. Sending love to you and your kitty.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
dn

Steroid shot, antibiotic, "instant" IV; several scenarios: aging early (from being malnourished before we got her), no kidney or blood sugar problems. Could need a steroid "reboot" every few months (with limited life expectancy). High calcium level, could be indicative of liver damage from not eating, or stomach cancer. My head is swimming. She did eat when we got home. If she had not seen the vet today, she would have been dead very soon.

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

Hope that all continues well. They truelly do become our companions and our life is better because of them.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Steroid shot, antibiotic, "instant" IV; several scenarios: aging early (from being malnourished before we got her), no kidney or blood sugar problems. Could need a steroid "reboot" every few months (with limited life expectancy). High calcium level, could be indicative of liver damage from not eating, or stomach cancer. My head is swimming. She did eat when we got home. If she had not seen the vet today, she would have been dead very soon.
Yesterday was good. Today not so much, she is not eating again. The vet was out this afternoon, expecting a call first thing tomorrow about options.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It didn't turn out well. We had to have her put down today. I am glad that last year we found a compassionate vet/vet staff here. And as the kid said when we got home from the vet, "Well, she wouldn't have lived a happy life for 13 years if you'd shut the door the night she showed up at our house." RIP, little kitty.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It didn't turn out well. We had to have her put down today. I am glad that last year we found a compassionate vet/vet staff here. And as the kid said when we got home from the vet, "Well, she wouldn't have lived a happy life for 13 years if you'd shut the door the night she showed up at our house." RIP, little kitty.
Sorry to hear that ZG but I know from experience that we always hold on a little bit longer than we should.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I love pets--all my life. I really do. They add to our lives. It's the end game that rips my heart out--something I want to avoid.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I'm so sorry. Your son is right, she was very lucky to have you as long as she did. Not matter how long the life it is never long enough. {{zg}}

Veloise

Cyburbian
I love pets--all my life. I really do. They add to our lives. It's the end game that rips my heart out--something I want to avoid.
On lifetime kitty #5 and 4 here. Yes, the end game sucks big time.

I am better for having basked in the furry warmth of #1 (almost 21 years), #2 (19+), and #3 (only ten).

(((ZG)))

Otis

Cyburbian
Sorry for your loss, ZG. She had a good life and you have some good memories.

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

Sorry to hear of your loss. Everyone is right, if it wasnt for you she would not have many years of a "good life" Her life was better because of you.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ya'll are so sweet. My brain hears my (late) Mom saying "You don't know those people!"; but yes, I do. All you pet owners know... today has been the "reminder" day, everywhere your pet is absent, and the other cats are freaking out. But we're doing better.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have just three dogs in the house. Mrs Cardinal took the puppies and one other to Colorado to be adopted. The girl (who I really grew to love) went to a good home. The puppies are still with the missus, and look like they are coming home. She fell in love with the little girl (Squirt) and you can't break up a set. It's alright, I think Cooper is going to grow to be a truly amazing dog. So we are back to having Lizzy and the Black Pack.

:w: :w: :w: :w: :w:

Lizzy: husky-collie mix, 4 1/2
Luke: lab-border collie mix, 3 1/2 (alpha)
Shadow: Lab-collie mix, 1
Cooper: lab-something mix, 8-9 mos.
Squirt: lab-something mix, 8-9 mos.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
ZG, my condolences on the loss of your kitty. She had a wonderful home for 13 years ...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
ZG, my condolences on the loss of your kitty. She had a wonderful home for 13 years ...[/QUOTE|
Thank you. Everyone has been so nice. Pet people on Cyb are great.

Cardinal, RJ doesnt want a dog because of the end game, the hurt when they die or you have to have them put down. Me, I would always love to have a dog. I just don't know how to bring him around, if I can. I can name every dog I've ever had, and how wonderful they all were, and the heartache I went thru when they died, but I still want another dog.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm feeling very alone in my grief. The kid is so stoic, and RJ is not participating. Granted, it was not his cat. I am not liking feeling guilty for crying.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I'm feeling very alone in my grief. The kid is so stoic, and RJ is not participating. Granted, it was not his cat. I am not liking feeling guilty for crying.
I"m sorry you are feeling alone. It is ok to cry. You loved her very much and she was part of your life. Do not measure your grief against others. We all have our own way and that is ok.

Veloise

Cyburbian
:(
Just yesterday my sisters (no communication for a couple of years) were quizzing me; how many cats do you have. I now have Blanche on the brain, thinking about her all day. And cuddling the two who are still here in her honor.

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

I too think that is okay to cry. When we grieve over the loss of a loved one I think that is okay. And our companions be they cats, dogs, or people are our loved ones.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thanks yet again. I can be a basket case. Tomorrow I pick up our kitty's ashes. I have the ashes from a cat we lost 13 yrs ago; her sister (non blood related, but they grew up together) died suddenly 8 yrs ago and I couldn't find the first one's ashes to bury them together. The kid and I have been tossing around ideas. I think we're going to look for a small tree at Lowe's or Home Depot, and bury their ashes under it in the back yard. Even though they didn't know each other, it seems good. It's either that or go to central FL and knock on the door of my old house and ask whoever owns it if I could bury the one next to the dead cat they didn't know was in their back yard, but even I know that seems creepy.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Guinness at 10:30 AM.

3yzLjMT.jpg

The vet came over for a final house call, and he went to sleep for the last time at 1:15 PM. 14 1/2 years old. We were outside; it was a beautiful day, and he spent his last hour lounging on the grass outside, with Bailey and one of my friends to help keep him company.

It reached a point where I was carrying him up and down stairs. He stopped eating on Sunday night, not even ground beef, and was losing a lot of weight. He was having a good day today -- a little bit bouncy, but still stumbling and falling -- and I had second thoughts. Still, I thought it was better to do it following a sunny weekend, where he was happy and free of pain, than when he would be suffering. Best to make his last moments good moments.

His body is being cremated individually, and I'm getting the ashes.

ZG, my thoughts are with you too. :)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Damn. You did good Dan. But Damn anyway. My condolences.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We all have second thoughts when this happens, but we know that what we do is right at the time. You did what was right for Guinness.

Veloise

Cyburbian
...The vet came over for a final house call, and he went to sleep for the last time at 1:15 PM. 14 1/2 years old. We were outside; it was a beautiful day, and he spent his last hour lounging on the grass outside, with Bailey and one of my friends to help keep him company.

It reached a point where I was carrying him up and down stairs. He stopped eating on Sunday night, not even ground beef, and was losing a lot of weight. He was having a good day today -- a little bit bouncy, but still stumbling and falling -- and I had second thoughts. Still, I thought it was better to do it following a sunny weekend, where he was happy and free of pain, than when he would be suffering. Best to make his last moments good moments.

Thanks for sharing so many details. It's helpful for those weighing the last walk to that colorful bridge.

sure wish we had something similar in place for suffering human pets

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Dan,

I don't post that often but I've been a part of this board since the 90's and have followed your pups during that time. My sincere condolences to you on your loss. It's always a hard decision but it sure sounds like the time was right. I truly think it is the most loving thing we can do for our pets. My thoughts are with you and the rest of your "family" as you all grieve.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Guinness at 10:30 AM.

3yzLjMT.jpg

The vet came over for a final house call, and he went to sleep for the last time at 1:15 PM. 14 1/2 years old. We were outside; it was a beautiful day, and he spent his last hour lounging on the grass outside, with Bailey and one of my friends to help keep him company.

It reached a point where I was carrying him up and down stairs. He stopped eating on Sunday night, not even ground beef, and was losing a lot of weight. He was having a good day today -- a little bit bouncy, but still stumbling and falling -- and I had second thoughts. Still, I thought it was better to do it following a sunny weekend, where he was happy and free of pain, than when he would be suffering. Best to make his last moments good moments t

Dan, thanks for the thoughts, and one last thing. My vet said that often, pets "rally" just before they shut down. Our cat sat with me on our bed for 5.5 hrs and then suddenly was starving and licked all the gravy out of 4 cans of cat food (but no solid food) the day she got "the shot". She wanted to go out, ran around the pool twice, came in and sat in her windowsill, like revisiting her places. Two hours later, she was "down" again. Those second thoughts drive you nuts. We want to hope, but we do what we have to do.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
My condolences, Dan.

Having been through this several times now with both kitties and pups, I think you always have second thoughts, especially when your bud isn't in obvious pain but is just suffering from the ravages of old age. It's just hard to let go because we want to keep them with us, even if it's really best for us and not for them.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dan, thanks for the thoughts, and one last thing. My vet said that often, pets "rally" just before they shut down. Our cat sat with me on our bed for 5.5 hrs and then suddenly was starving and licked all the gravy out of 4 cans of cat food (but no solid food) the day she got "the shot". She wanted to go out, ran around the pool twice, came in and sat in her windowsill, like revisiting her places. Two hours later, she was "down" again. Those second thoughts drive you nuts. We want to hope, but we do what we have to do.
Thanks for posting that. I got the feeling that Guinness was doing the same thing on Monday, walking straighter, and even trotting a little bit, even though I still had to help him with stairs. When he got the tranquilizer shot, he got up to walk around, tail wagging and a goofy smile on his face, and 15 seconds later, *plop*. I keep telling myself the day might have been a bump up, but his trajectory was generally downward.

Bailey is lethargic, if not quite catatonic. She'll greet me, but is otherwise joyless. She won't play hide-and-go-seek, and completely ignores other dogs at the dog park. I haven't seen her tail move much the past couple of days.

I'm lethargic myself. I left work early yesterday. ZG, I think I know you you feel; it's tougher than I thought it would be. We're all in this together.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Bailey is lethargic, if not quite catatonic. She'll greet me, but is otherwise joyless. She won't play hide-and-go-seek, and completely ignores other dogs at the dog park. I haven't seen her tail move much the past couple of days.
Our youngest cat used to chase Precious around, getting her to hiss and get the claws out. The last couple days, she's been tormenting the big boy cat. Today, the kid and I were talking, and I mentioned Precious, and Shadow looked up immediately at me like "Well, where is she?". Of course Bailey is sad. She knows you're sad, and she knows who is gone.

I don't understand people who don't think pets have feelings/intelligence. But there are a lot of them.