• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Planning Meme Thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'll start the festivities.

What armchair urbanists think about zoning ...

millennial_zoning.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yuppers! I had a chance to go back to Austin and work on CodeNext. I'd sort of glad I decided to stay where I am.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Those would likely work in many liberal leaning college/university cities too. There are alot of old liberal property owners in these types of places that are vocal NIMBYs.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Found somewhere. Are these signs for real? #austin?

View attachment 6041
The pro-CodeNext "true progressive" people produced those to troll the limousine liberals that are progressive in name only (and secret racists that deep down want to keep Austin's status as one of the most segregated cities). You know, the ones that drive their Subarus and Prius' to protest anything that so much as smells faintly of density. The ones that dress up in showy lycra and $3,000 bikes that won't ride locally... they strap their bikes to the roof and go out into the hills to show up with their Strava postings.

But they've got a rainbow Beto sticker, so that makes it okay.

On the plus side, the "pro-density" coalition swept the open seats in the last election, providing a mandate to revive key aspects of CodeNext. And they're going to do what they should have to start with: tackle it incrementally, and meaningfully engage.

I could talk for days on what happened with CodeNext. It is a great case study in multiple planning and political issues.

Reactions: Dan

DVD

Cyburbian
I could talk for days on what happened with CodeNext. It is a great case study in multiple planning and political issues.
Yes, start a thread and tell us more. I find it fascinating. Not trolling here. As an outsider I look at it as a giant political failure in the world of planning because of the conflicting views of standard Texas conservative vs. Austin liberal. There seems to be enough power on each side that it becomes a stalemate leaving Austin a great city to visit with music and bars and whatever, but a crappy planned city overall.

Again, outsider, what the hell do I know. I've only driven through a few times.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Found on Quickmeme:

I think the Detroit Entrepreneur is relevant to our interests.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The guys an arrogant ass. Comes to town, bad mouths your city, and goes back to building sprawl in Florida and calling it great. Did I mention he's also a pretentious prick.
I have never been a Duany fan. Overtly idealistic and not very applicable outside of metropolitan areas. APA bought his schtick hook, line and sinker.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Remember when gentrification was good, and billboards were bad?

gentrification_was_good_and_billboards_were_bad.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And from some previous threads.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
FM is preternaturally gifted at this planning meme business!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Don't laugh to hard we still have listed as a service uses

Letter service and mimeograph
Telegraph office

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How many still have

Commercial docks, wharves, and piers;
Dredging base;
Railroad lines and sidings to serve wharves and piers;
Ship yards and drydocks.

listed ?

Planit

Cyburbian
Seriously, how old is the code?

View attachment 48202
We have that in our code...along with some other beauties including:
tire recapping
residential maternity homes
newstands
furriers
trading stamp & redemption
blueprint/drafting supplies
marinas (which is my very favorite because we don't have any waterfront)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
do you have required separation distances between drive-in theatres and spittoon manufactories?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We have that in our code...along with some other beauties including:
marinas (which is my very favorite because we don't have any waterfront)
Nice.

A prime example of the old 'cut-n-paste' planning SOP.

Reminds of me the quirk in my State's laws that permit the creation of a 'Port Authority' regardless of whether you're on navigable waterways or not.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Nice.

A prime example of the old 'cut-n-paste' planning SOP.

Reminds of me the quirk in my State's laws that permit the creation of a 'Port Authority' regardless of whether you're on navigable waterways or not.
We have a position on the books called "Wharfmaster"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wish I had "Wharfmaster" as my job title.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I wish I had "Wharfmaster" as my job title.
Under their Powers & Duties
The Wharfmaster shall also have power to cause all boats or rafts to move or lie at the wharves in the manner as may in his opinion best promote the convenience of all boats lying at or near,
or coming to, the wharves, and shall in his discretion cause empty boats and small crafts to be removed to give place to other boats.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I can just see a Betty White in sweatpants pulled up to her armpits showing up to the local fire hall to perform her functions as "Bingo Inspector".