• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
Courts have ordered a new election in the NC 9th District.

If you haven't followed the story, Mark Harris' campaign "helped" people with their absentee ballots and he won by 905 votes. The Evangelic Pastor said he knew nothing about any wrong doing until his son, a practicing NC Attorney, took the stand and revealed he warned his dad several times about ballot tampering going on.

DVD

Cyburbian
A colleague here at work went to the Elizabeth Warren speech over the weekend, but I'm not here to talk about that. I'm posting to tell you what she saw outside.

She said a group of white supremacists got out of a couple cars and started with their rhetoric. Then another car drove up and some people dressed as clowns got out. Every time the supremacists shouted "White Power" the clown group would yell "White Flour" and threw flour up in the air towards them. The supremacists left soon after and the clowns followed. She said it was one of the wildest and funniest things she have seen.

Now part of me thinks it might have been staged & another, but larger part of me thinks this is clever as hell.
The satire, puns, and general clowning of clowns can not be beat. After all, how do you argue with a clown. You just can't win.

Gedunker

Moderating

If you haven't followed the story, Mark Harris' campaign "helped" people with their absentee ballots and he won by 905 votes. The Evangelic Pastor said he knew nothing about any wrong doing until his son, a practicing NC Attorney, took the stand and revealed he warned his dad several times about ballot tampering going on.
If the senior Mr. Harris has even a shred of decency, he will not be a candidate for the special election, since the vote fraud occurred under his candidacy by his surrogate employee.

Something tells me though that he will again fail to set a good example for his grandchildren.:(

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I may be a progressive-ish Democrat who voted for Obama twice (four times, if you count the primaries), but I don't think he deserved a Nobel prize, either. I think Nixon may have been more deserving, by accepting China's overtures of ping-pong diplomacy.
I thought that Obama was nominated prior to becoming president, but I was incorrect. He was nominated 11 days after becoming president. So therefore, his nomination was actually not based on anything he did as president (although the award for it came 10 months into his presidency). I think it was more symbolic than anything. "Obama overcame racism to become the first non-white president of the U.S. so he should be commemorated" kind of thing. Of course, that's not the reason given, but that's always the impression that I got of it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

If the senior Mr. Harris has even a shred of decency, he will not be a candidate for the special election, since the vote fraud occurred under his candidacy by his surrogate employee.

Something tells me though that he will again fail to set a good example for his grandchildren.:(
Personally, I think neither of the candidates should run for that office. But I don't have a vote as I am not in that district.

I thought that Obama was nominated prior to becoming president, but I was incorrect. He was nominated 11 days after becoming president. So therefore, his nomination was actually not based on anything he did as president (although the award for it came 10 months into his presidency). I think it was more symbolic than anything. "Obama overcame racism to become the first non-white president of the U.S. so he should be commemorated" kind of thing. Of course, that's not the reason given, but that's always the impression that I got of it.
I think that there are some categories of the Nobel Prize that still have meaning to them, especially the sciences.

Overall, I wonder if peace prize was created because of a obituary that was written in error titled "The Merchant of Death" or if it was because of a girl.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Harris, an evangelical minister from Charlotte, admitted under oath that he was mistaken in his testimony earlier in the day. Harris blamed the error on a recent sepsis infection that he said caused two strokes and affected his memory.

Harris said the episode made him realize that he was not prepared for the “rigors” of the evidentiary hearing. He called for a new election, then promptly excused himself from the proceeding and walked out.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/candidate-says-new-congressional-election-warranted-in-north-carolina/2019/02/21/acae4482-35e0-11e9-854a-7a14d7fec96a_story.html?utm_term=.70d9898a63e7

And he is qualified/capable to do the work of a Congressman ?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have a question regarding the title of President. A local news organization made several references to "Former President" Obama when he was at the Duke UNC game this week.

I was once informed that that once you are President, your official title is always president, even if you are not currently in office. I didn't agree with many of Obama's political ideas or agendas, but I still think that he is due the respect that he earned.

Unfortunately, the same can be said of Trump...

Hink

OH....IO
I think you would address him as President. But when discussing him, you can say former President. I hear a lot of news organizations discuss talking heads who were in political positions as Ambassador or Secretary when speaking directly to them, but when describing them they say Former Secretary of State, etc.

Hink

OH....IO
What do we all think about the kid that was in the middle of that situation at the March for Life suing the WaPo for $250M?

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/20/696245435/covington-catholic-teen-nick-sandmann-sues-washington-post-for-250-million
It was wrong that everyone went after this kid. In the end, he was just a kid. His speech is just as protected as anyone who disagrees with him.

But in the end, there is not going to be a payment to him or his family. They are now making this about them so they can profit. Which I don't agree with.

Gedunker

Moderating
Personally, I think neither of the candidates should run for that office. But I don't have a vote as I am not in that district.
I have only seen this story from afar, so I don't know the finer details. I'm curious why you think the Democrat should not run again, is he also accused of misdeeds?

DVD

Cyburbian
It was wrong that everyone went after this kid. In the end, he was just a kid. His speech is just as protected as anyone who disagrees with him.

But in the end, there is not going to be a payment to him or his family. They are now making this about them so they can profit. Which I don't agree with.
I have to agree. There was a lot of wrong going on that no one seems to questions much. Like if that was my kid I would have yanked his collar and gotten him out of there. The law suit is just a publicity stunt - that frankly teaches the kid the wrong lessons. The lawsuit has no real basis. He became a public figure through his own actions. Public figures are more subject to cyber attacks. You can't pull the innocent kid card. Plus it's not like the WaPo specifically libeled or defamed him. Granted a lot of media was jumping at incomplete information or slanting the information their way, but the end lesson is not to let your kids become the middle of a political firestorm. Teach them to protest responsibly and understand the consequences of their actions.

Planit

Cyburbian
It seems the White House has not had anything to say about the Coast Guard guy who had a weapons cache & hit list. But damn if tRump has gone after that jesse guy. Seems a bit odd, don't you think?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have a question regarding the title of President. A local news organization made several references to "Former President" Obama when he was at the Duke UNC game this week.

I was once informed that that once you are President, your official title is always president, even if you are not currently in office. I didn't agree with many of Obama's political ideas or agendas, but I still think that he is due the respect that he earned.

Unfortunately, the same can be said of Trump...
I think you would address him as President. But when discussing him, you can say former President. I hear a lot of news organizations discuss talking heads who were in political positions as Ambassador or Secretary when speaking directly to them, but when describing them they say Former Secretary of State, etc.
If I recall my AP Style Guide and military protocol course correctly: Generally, for a person who there is only one of at a time (president, secretary of..., ambassador to..., sergeant major of..., chief justice) the honorific remains with them when you are addressing them. Technically, when describing them you would also use the honorific but may include the "former" to avoid confusion. I would argue that with the president, you don't really ever need to include the "former" when describing one of them individually as there should usually be little confusion as to who the current president is by most of your audience (unless maybe your audience is international).

DVD

Cyburbian
I goes with it depends on the situation. If I'm talking the Obama I would address him as Pres. If I'm talking to someone else about him former can be added, but that's only if I think the person I'm talking to is to stupid to realize he''s not the current pres. Something like Ambassador I would probably always refer to former except in person.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have only seen this story from afar, so I don't know the finer details. I'm curious why you think the Democrat should not run again, is he also accused of misdeeds?
Not that I am aware of, but because the whole situation is messy and there were some founded and unfounded allegations pertaining to both sides, I don't trust either of them much. Without question, Harris was in the wrong and I wonder what the final tally would have because I doubt that his guy was able to sway almost 1000 votes.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
This is funny -

I was eating breakfast with my 10-year-old Granddaughter and I asked her,
What day is tomorrow?"
Without skipping a beat she said, "It's Presidents Day!"
She’s smart, so I asked her "What does Presidents Day mean?"
I was waiting for something about Obama, Bush, or Clinton, etc.
She replied, "Presidents Day is when the President steps out of the White House, and if he sees his shadow, we have another year of Bullshit."
You know, it hurts when hot coffee spurts out your nose.

Reactions: Jen

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, a NC judge has stated that one of the constitutional amendments and a voter ID bill are unconditional because of gerrymandering.

Here is what I don’t get, both of these were voted on by the people of NC and both received a majority vote of the people of NC... where does gerrymandering come into this?

Planit

Cyburbian
Well, a NC judge has stated that one of the constitutional amendments and a voter ID bill are unconditional because of gerrymandering.

Here is what I don’t get, both of these were voted on by the people of NC and both received a majority vote of the people of NC... where does gerrymandering come into this?

Because the gerrymandering swayed the political makeup, ensuring republicans control and therefore NOT a proper representation of the public. This is the mainstay of the gerrymandering lawsuits.

Planit

Cyburbian
Isn't it ironic that pResident tRump - aka Cadet Bone Spurs - is going to Vietnam when he didn't want to go about 50 years ago?

Hink

OH....IO
So Cohen on the hill...it's a circus, but boy it is interesting to watch. I also like hearing all the random accents from representatives around the U.S.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Holy carp. Cohen said 'yes' to the Committee about accepting a future book deal. Nice.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
The R's are trying to discredit everything he's saying because "he's lied before!!". I don't think that's unreasonable in some situations, but not this one. He literally has no reason not to tell the truth. Trump won't pardon him even if he lies through his teeth, so he's obviously being sincere about it.

Amazingly, Trump somehow DID manage to drain the swamp, just not the way he originally planned.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
State Rep. Kelly Townsend says mandatory vaccinations are 'Communist'
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2019/02/28/state-rep-kelly-townsend-says-mandatory-vaccinations-communist/3018342002/

How 'completely avoidable' measles cases continue to climb
https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/sc-hlth-measles-q-and-a-0313-story.html
Q: How widespread is measles?
A: In the U.S., the CDC has confirmed 159 cases so far this year in 10 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So, the only thing that Trump did that I agree with this week was that walk out of the summit. Granted he should not have gone and I think he has less credibility than the dictator, but that is beyond the point.

Did anyone else catch Diane Feinstein loosing it wen talking to a bunch of kids regarding the New Green Deal. This why I support term limits for everyone in DC.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
It almost pains me to say it, but I agree Trump did the right thing walking out of the summit. The big concern was that he was going to feel desperate to come home with something remotely resembling a win and would end up making major diplomatic concessions to NK (e.g. sign a peace treaty and withdraw American forces from Korea in exchange for Kim's vague promise to denuclearize without a rigorous verification process) so as to temporarily change the news cycle from Cohen's testimony.

DVD

Cyburbian
Yes, but she's an idiot that represents a giant retirement population. If you want to avoid immunization you must pick the right religion. There is at least one out there that I know of that is exempt from it.

Did anyone else catch Diane Feinstein loosing it wen talking to a bunch of kids regarding the New Green Deal. This why I support term limits for everyone in DC.
Yep, it was fun watching folks on MSN try to defend her behavior the way the GOP defends tRump. Right or wrong you just don't address and disillusion children the way she did. It's the equivalent of saying because I'm the parent. Super disrespectful to kids. They're smart enough to understand reasons she was just to lazy to give them.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Do you think there will be election reform in terms of the electorial college?

Personally, I would like to see three things happen.
First, elimination of gerrymandering.
Second, the candidate that wins the popular vote for the state gets two senate votes.
Every other electorial college vote goes to the winner if that congressional district.

But it only works if there are no gerrymandered districts.

What are your thoughts?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Regarding Gerrymandering:

Has anyone here actually used their GIS and tried to produce a voting district model that is bipartisanly* fair, demonstrably competitive, and quantitatively compact?

If so, I'd like to bow deeply and sit at your feet, Zen Master Redistrictor.

There are many challenges to drawing district lines: First, you have to rely on an underlying geography like county lines, townships, sections, and sometimes even smaller aliquat parts because your average county election official can't be expected operate with census or zip code geography.

Any other kind of establishe geography might require very precise geocoding of the voter's residence of record. So, think of the existing geography as legos. How do you assemble the districts in a fair way when one standard sized lego has 18,000 voters and another has 23?

Second, you have to define competitive in a way the parties and press will accept. Good luck there.

Next, to give the appearance of bipartisanship you have to have avoided ALL past entanglements with politics. Who among you is pure enough to survive the state version of a Kavanaugh hearing focused on diving deeply into your public and private life? Then, if you are somehow that squeaky clean you'll be dismissed as a political novice, incapable of playing in the big leagues.

My challenge to those who decry their state's gerrymandered condition, is to come back with your own GIS model, push it out to the public, complete with your base data, GIS files, and model assumptions. Then defend it. I think you'll find yourself having one or more Custer Moments.

I've dabbled with redistricting models and it isn't easy to arrive at a universally acceptable solution.

*Bipartisanship is bullship. Its designed to deny other parties fertile soil.

Gedunker

Moderating

Has anyone here actually used their GIS and tried to produce a voting district model that is bipartisanly* fair, demonstrably competitive, and quantitatively compact?

There are many challenges to drawing district lines: First, you have to rely on an underlying geography like county lines, townships, sections, and sometimes even smaller aliquat parts because your average county election official can't be expected operate with census or zip code geography.

Any other kind of establishe geography might require very precise geocoding of the voter's residence of record. So, think of the existing geography as legos. How do you assemble the districts in a fair way when one standard sized lego has 18,000 voters and another has 23?

Second, you have to define competitive in a way the parties and press will accept. Good luck there.

Next, to give the appearance of bipartisanship you have to have avoided ALL past entanglements with politics. Who among you is pure enough to survive the state version of a Kavanaugh hearing focused on diving deeply into your public and private life? Then, if you are somehow that squeaky clean you'll be dismissed as a political novice, incapable of playing in the big leagues.

My challenge to those who decry their state's gerrymandered condition, is to come back with your own GIS model, push it out to the public, complete with your base data, GIS files, and model assumptions. Then defend it. I think you'll find yourself having one or more Custer Moments.

I've dabbled with redistricting models and it isn't easy to arrive at a universally acceptable solution.

Okay, so it’s hard to do. So what? I think it is worth trying because what we have now does not work. When some carpetbagger can use daddy’s money to buy a local business, move here from away to establish residency, and run (and win, twice now) just because of the letter behind his name, something is amiss.

I would also eliminate the United States Senate, or in the alternative, make it representational. There is no longer a valid reason for the small states to have the influence they currently do at the expense of the nation.

I would similarly increase the size of the House of Representatives significantly (to say 1:400,000). I’m at the south end of my gerrymandered district, in a first ring suburb of the largest city in a neighboring state (but not that state’s capital), and my district extends to the southern suburbs of my state capital), two hours’ drive north of me. Folks there have nothing in common with folks here - we don’t read even the same newspapers or watch the same tv stations. Those folks up north were gerrymandered into our district only to make an otherwise competitive district (it had flip-flopped between D and R over four straight electionsbefore the 2010 Gerrymander) a safe seat for the Rs. This isn’t England, there shouldn’t be any safe seats except those that send statesmen to Washington.rr0r-rcf_000opoo

I would also grant the franchise to corporations, with similar restrictions required of citizens. In exchange for the franchise, I would subject them to the same campaign contributions limits citizens are subjected. I think the amount of money that is in politics is obscene, but dark money has completely corrupted our republic.

So there’s my $0.02.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
“Here’s a reverse-emoluments case that the Founding Fathers didn’t plan for…what happens when @realDonaldTrump owes a large debt *to* a foreign government? In Scotland, it’s happening.”
https://www.alternet.org/2019/03/reverse-emoluments-case-scotland-beats-three-time-loser-trump-in-legal-battle-and-now-he-owes-the-government-money/

Scottish government wins Donald Trump wind power legal costs
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-47400641

Planit

Cyburbian
It’s hard to gerrymander to a political party slant too.

Rule one should be district boundaries must be reasonably compact. Not the running worms & amoeba forms we have now.

Hink

OH....IO
Do you think there will be election reform in terms of the electorial college?

Personally, I would like to see three things happen.
First, elimination of gerrymandering.
Second, the candidate that wins the popular vote for the state gets two senate votes.
Every other electorial college vote goes to the winner if that congressional district.

But it only works if there are no gerrymandered districts.

What are your thoughts?
We need proportional representation that gives more power to moderates, conservatives in cities, and liberals in the rural areas. Ranked choice is a good place to start.

I would support this idea: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/opinion/how-to-make-congress-bipartisan.html?_r=0

Step 1 is to elect House members with ranked choice voting in primary and general elections, a system proven in a dozen cities and adopted in Maine for congressional elections. Voters are able to rank candidates in order of choice, and their votes go to second choices if their first choice is in last place and loses.

Step 2 is to establish congressional districts with multiple representatives. Smaller states with fewer than six seats would elect all seats statewide. In bigger states, independent commissions would draw districts designed to elect up to five seats based on traditional criteria like keeping counties intact. Multi-winner districts were used in some House elections as recently as the 1960s and remain common in local and state elections.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I agree the protozoan/worm maps are absurd. Not only do they make little sense from a 'locality' perspective, but they increase the difficulty for candidates and campaigns as well. Egregious examples of this can be found in Maryland where the democrats created what's been called the 'praying mantis district'
1551705641309.png
or this republican designed one in Florida:
1551705812167.png

Both parties have done this kind of thing and the courts have begun to say 'enough'. Here is the court ordered redistricting that took place in North Carolina not long ago:
1551706181387.png
The new map looks a lot more compact for sure. That's gotta make it easier for both parties' candidates to campaign in. The new map corresponds with much more intuitively logical media markets as well.

Gerrymandering has been around for a long long time, but it seems to have gotten way worse since the 1990's. Wisconsin is probably the poster child for the impact that gerrymandering can have on elections. During the 2018 mid term elections, democratic candidates received 53% of the vote but only managed to secure 36% of the seats. That's the power of gerrymandering.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Let a computer do it.

If you want the redistricting to be bipartisan or have parties involved in the process at all, yes, it's going to be difficult. If you take out the partisanship completely and don't worry about the number of voters (the Supreme Court has ruled that districts can and should be drawn based on the total number of residents and not voters or citizens or even residents of voting age), it's quite easy to divide up a geography into polygons (i.e. districts) of relatively equal population. If I am remembering the tool extensions correctly, you can do this with spatial analyst in ArcMap.

The process does get more cumbersome when you begin to add in requirements like majority-minority or keeping entire cities or counties in one district when feasible but that just requires a bit more coding.

Things only get "difficult" when you bring in the political parties who want to have their say in the system.

Reactions: DVD

DVD

Cyburbian
Let a computer do it.

If you want the redistricting to be bipartisan or have parties involved in the process at all, yes, it's going to be difficult. If you take out the partisanship completely and don't worry about the number of voters (the Supreme Court has ruled that districts can and should be drawn based on the total number of residents and not voters or citizens or even residents of voting age), it's quite easy to divide up a geography into polygons (i.e. districts) of relatively equal population. If I am remembering the tool extensions correctly, you can do this with spatial analyst in ArcMap.

The process does get more cumbersome when you begin to add in requirements like majority-minority or keeping entire cities or counties in one district when feasible but that just requires a bit more coding.

Things only get "difficult" when you bring in the political parties who want to have their say in the system.

You mean use something logical like census boundaries as our district boundaries. That's absurd. We would have chaos and ruin in our country. ;)

My favorite gerrymandered district is the Goofy kicking Donald district in the Philly area.
1551711918393.png

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is poor taste to attack Christianity because Trump signed bibles. Absolutely attack Trump and even those who had their bible signed, but to associate Trump who lives in stark contrast with biblical teachings as a representation of the religion is extremely disappointing as I thought people were above that... but I guess not.

Reactions: JNA

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What do you think we can do as a society to change the hearts of those who are on a mission of hate and out to harm those who are different then themselves? The attack in NZ is just one example of an ongoing global issue of intolerance.

Personally, we focus on teaching our kids that people are people regardless of our differences and even if there is an aspect of someone’s life that we don’t agree with, there is still a ton that we can learn from that person and we should welcome them as our friend. Even if they do cheer for OSU.

Planit

Cyburbian
...and once again pResident tRump quickly changes subject from NZ and goes on a rant about getting a Fox network condemned employee back on TV, an illegal witch hunt, and continuing a beef with a dead congressman. SAD!

Planit

Cyburbian
Isn't this ironic?

Federal prosecutors used a new law signed by Trump to go after his former fixer Michael Cohen, court filings reveal.
Investigators in the Southern District of New York obtained a search warrant to access Cohen’s Gmail account in February 2018. Google turned over some documents, but the tech giant “declined to produce data that it stored on computer servers located outside of the United States,” according to an affidavit submitted to the court by an FBI agent working on Cohen’s case.
Weeks later, Trump signed the CLOUD Act into law, which gave US law enforcement more legal pathways to pursue data stories overseas. The provision was tucked into the $1.3 trillion spending bill Trump signed to avoid a federal government shutdown.
With the new law on the books, federal prosecutors went back to court in and asked for another warrant to get the materials that Google refused to turn over.
In an April 2018 affidavit, the FBI agent argued that “providers are required to disclose data even if it is stored abroad” under the new law. The judge approved the new search warrant later that day, giving investigators access to additional information from Google, including Cohen’s emails, attachments, address book and files stored on Google Drive.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Article -
Trump: 'I was never a fan of John McCain and I never will be'

Nice Twitter reply to DtrUMP
Ok you aren't a fan. One more in a long list of things you are not.
Honest - same as trustworthy - Scout Law
Brave - Scout Law
Smart
Tough
Disciplined
Kind - Scout Law
Generous - same as helpful - Scout Law
Patriotic - same as loyal - Scout Law
A fan of John McCain

Had you been a fan, the Senator would have wondered what he had done so wrong that he earned the approval of a man he despised.
Call me old school but you know I am an Eagle Scout, I marked those things found in the Scout Law
Just some values of good character

Last edited: