• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
A referendum to pave the way (figuratively speaking) for MARTA expansion into Gwinnett County (northeastern Atlanta suburb) failed yesterday, roughly by a 54% - 46% margin. Anyone who thinks that the northern Atlanta suburbs have flipped to blue (or are even trending towards blue absent candidates running on an ORANGE MAN BAD platform and/or accepting millions of dollars of out-of-state dark money campaign contributions) is apparently sorely mistaken...

DVD

Cyburbian
A referendum to pave the way (figuratively speaking) for MARTA expansion into Gwinnett County (northeastern Atlanta suburb) failed yesterday, roughly by a 54% - 46% margin. Anyone who thinks that the northern Atlanta suburbs have flipped to blue (or are even trending towards blue absent candidates running on an ORANGE MAN BAD platform and/or accepting millions of dollars of out-of-state dark money campaign contributions) is apparently sorely mistaken...
Phoenix is also having a vote on the future of light rail expansion. I call it the rich people want bigger roads and no buses bill. I wish people would explain that the more poor people that take bus or light rail the fewer cars that are in your way and you can happily drive that jag or bmw.

We're also getting a state ballot just for Phoenix (councilman can't get it through Phoenix). It's the pay off the Phoenix pension debt bill. Oh, and the city can't raise it's budget until the pension is paid off. Kind of like saying you don't get a raise until you pay your debts knowing you don't have the money to pay your debts now. Arizona still carries a lot of red. I think we get it from the retired midwesterners who keep coming here and ruining our state like they did theirs.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
What's with the Beto love? I really don't get it. The dude couldn't win an election in his home state but I'm supposed to think he's the one to unseat the sitting president. What gets people excited about him? What policy positions does he have? It's just weird to me. I've been saying for two years the Dems will totally screw up this next election even though it's there for the taking. But nope, gotta try to be all things to all people and instead alienate a whole lot more. Ugh. Wake me in 2024.

The One

Cyburbian
What's with the Beto love? I really don't get it. The dude couldn't win an election in his home state but I'm supposed to think he's the one to unseat the sitting president. What gets people excited about him? What policy positions does he have? It's just weird to me. I've been saying for two years the Dems will totally screw up this next election even though it's there for the taking. But nope, gotta try to be all things to all people and instead alienate a whole lot more. Ugh. Wake me in 2024.
He did win his Congressional seat. The level of crazy in Texas means he can have a pass for not beating the leader of the American Taliban. There is a LONG way to go.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Well, he's tall, so he's got that going for him which is good...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
This comes from 2 math teachers with a combined total of 70 years experience.

It has an indisputable mathematical logic It also made me Laugh Out Loud This is a strictly mathematical viewpoint ... and it goes like this:
What Makes 100% ?
What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?
Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%.
How about achieving 103%?
What makes up 100% in life?
Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Is represented as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:
H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%
And
K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%
But ,
A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,
B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%
AND
, look how far ass kissing will take you.
A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, than while Hard work
and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there. Its the Bullshit and Ass Kissing that will put you over the top.

Now you know why Politicians are where they are!

I’ve never seen a better explanation than this formula ………….. how true it is.

one way to explain it.

el Guapo

Professor Emeritus of Cyburbian Studies
Crickets.... Just two days after some pretty big political new dropped. What's that all about?

Hink

OH....IO
Crickets.... Just two days after some pretty big political new dropped. What's that all about?
View attachment 24185
I am waiting for the final report to be released to pass judgement, but honestly, I am not sure how this isn't good news for all involved. At least our President cannot easily have been proven to have colluded with Russia. Isn't that a good thing? I mean he isn't in the clear on a number of other issues he still has to deal with, including obstruction of justice, but at least he isn't out there colluding.

I would like to believe this will have our congress bi-partisanly put up more barriers for future elected officials to do stupid things, but it will end up with both parties yelling at each other - either because they didn't find something, or because they even looked.

It is also quiet about the emails that the Trump team has been using. Oddly enough Hannity didn't have that as a topic...

Both sides do stupid things. The Mueller Report will be a good read about how inept and corrupt the Trump team is, but clearly it will not show collusion, which in my mind is a good thing. I am glad we didn't elect someone that is that stupid to collude with the Russians.

Now let's get back to not fixing any of the slew of other problems our country faces...

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
I would very much like to read the report for myself before coming to any thoughtful conclusions about its contents. This post is based on taking the Barr summary information available today at its word.

I agree, Hink. It is a relief that the worst case scenario is not, in fact, the finding. I mean honestly--did any of us most strident opponents of Trump really want to go through what would have happened had Mueller made essentially a treasonous Trump conclusion? Think about what that would've looked like, and what the result would have been. That's what I told my wife when the summary was released--she was perplexed that I was relieved rather than angry. Besides, the investigation and report did make one key conclusion: that Trump has TERRIBLE judgment in who he allowed in his orbit and continues to allow in his orbit. Spectacularly so... like a modern Teapot Dome (I'm looking at you, Ryan Zinke), but more widespread throughout the cabinet and advisors.

And it is good for the Democratic Party, as it will force the Party to focus on policies and actions. They'll have to acknowledge what went terribly wrong in the last election, rather than seeking an external factor. They'll have to focus on Trump's actions as President, rather than technical aspects of how he got there (turtle on a fence post analogy). And they'll focus on how this country managed to elect such a morally & ethically bankrupt person through populist rage--how evangelicals were able to look past virtually everything about him, how factory workers were able to look past Trump's actions throughout his career of kicking around the little guy, how economically distressed individuals were able to accept a familial silver spoon billionaire as their lord and savior, how conservatives were able to embrace an economic free market interventionist. These are hard questions, because there will be some really, really ugly answers to them. These are questions I'm having to ask my parents as well, as even my hardcore evangelical conservative brother refused to vote for him.

And Trump still has a laundry list of other legal issues related to business and charity dealings. Those always had more smoke than the Russian angle did. His kids, in particular, are doing him no favors with their actions, and are showing why government leadership should not be a family business.

My greatest hope is that someone wakes up and decides to reassert separation/balance of powers. The executive branch has been on this dangerous path for a long time, and Trump is demonstrating what happens when someone actually starts really screwing around with things that have resulted from particularly the legislative branch ceding authority. I'm convinced someone could run for President with a limited platform of rebuilding executive guardrails and redistricting reform and probably win with no other policy platforms to speak of.

Hink

OH....IO
My greatest hope is that someone wakes up and decides to reassert separation/balance of powers. The executive branch has been on this dangerous path for a long time, and Trump is demonstrating what happens when someone actually starts really screwing around with things that have resulted from particularly the legislative branch ceding authority. I'm convinced someone could run for President with a limited platform of rebuilding executive guardrails and redistricting reform and probably win with no other policy platforms to speak of.
If someone ran on reducing the power of the President they would win. "I will run for one term. I will pressure both parties to pass laws. I will force legislation on budgets and emergency orders. I will reduce my roll to as little as possible and be the grease that makes the government work, not the wheel that runs over my opponents."

What a dream, huh? Someone running because they care instead of wanting power?

DVD

Cyburbian
I think too many huge political drops have happened. Everyone is just getting conditioned to them. It's like mass shootings. Oh, another one of those. Ok. We all know nothing is going to come out of this until someone actually releases the report and we're all ignoring what already came out of this...how many indictments, arrests, actual guilty pleas?

On the pres front, he might be guilty, he might be innocent, or like any politician there is plausible deniability. I don't care. I just think he's a crap man (I wouldn't trust him with my daughters), and his policies generally suck and have cost me in taxes with little to no return on service that I can see. I'll vote for the candidate that actually is half decent as a person (I can't expect perfect, they are politicians), and the one that actually wants to do something useful like balance the budget. Love the fancy ideas on the democrat side, but without a good budget how are we going to pay for it. Or do we just keep ignoring that?

Planit

Cyburbian
Republicans during Obama years:
we'll do anything to stop him
our first job is to make him a one term president
block everything we can in congress

Republicans yesterday:
The Democrats will try to block everything
They are more concerned with stopping our great president than doing anything
We should have a bipartisan approach

Hink

OH....IO
Republicans during Obama years:
we'll do anything to stop him
our first job is to make him a one term president
block everything we can in congress

Republicans yesterday:
The Democrats will try to block everything
They are more concerned with stopping our great president than doing anything
We should have a bipartisan approach
Stop looking backwards, I am talking about the present. Well at least until another Democrat is President, then it is different.

The hypocrisy on both sides is painful. Trump should just be pleased he wasn't indicted. Instead of gloating about not being indicted, he probably should just move on. Lindsay Graham now wants to look into the Obama White House and if they worked to keep Trump out. Seriously? We just spent 2 years looking at issues about Trump and you were all angry, now you want to look at Obama?

The Democrats should look at the situation as a net positive and move on. The Republicans should be thankful it wasn't worse and move on.

Remember when we were going to pass bi-partisan infrastructure bills? Or work on policy things? Do you remember what policy is? Or passing laws?