• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, I just posted that because A. It's always amused me, and B. He specifically mentioned the Rolling Stones.
lol I love Alice Cooper!

But it's true that people will say "ah shaddup" when a celebrity speaks politically - I mean, we elected a B actor twice to the White House so... I'd rather hear from a learned thespian or a Berklee grad any day

dw914er

Cyburbian
Speaking of the Rolling Stones...

Alice Cooper on rock stars and politics: "I absolutely hate it. It’s the worst idea ever. First of all, why do people think rock stars know more than they do? That is the biggest fallacy in the world – if anything, we’re dumber. We’re not smarter than anybody else. I mean, why do you think we’re rock stars?...Trust me, we don’t read magazines you don’t read. Nobody calls us up and gives us as inside information on politics. We know less than you do. If I watch TV, it’s Family Guy...When my mom and dad talked about who to vote for, I’d go in the other room and put on the Beatles or Rolling Stones – and I’m still like that."
Not that I necessarily disagree with Alice Cooper's statement, but it is worth noting that art, including music, does explore the political realm and makes observations. Not all artists and musicians focus on politics, and so in those cases their opinions may not be as informed and instead has presence simply from their celebrity status, but others do and are actually educated in those topics as well.

DVD

Cyburbian
It depends on the celeb and the cause. Some celebs are very well informed on their charity or topic of their choice just like you would be if you were super involved in a cause. Most of them are just idiots like the rest of us with some opinion to share, but I like what Alice says. Just picture the stoner back in high school giving you sage political advice. We're not worthy!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It depends on the celeb and the cause. Some celebs are very well informed on their charity or topic of their choice just like you would be if you were super involved in a cause. Most of them are just idiots like the rest of us with some opinion to share, but I like what Alice says. Just picture the stoner back in high school giving you sage political advice. We're not worthy!
I read one time this banker type guy was attending some charity fundraiser where Bono was present and he got to talk to him at some length. The banker guy was genuinely surprised at the depth of his knowledge concerning economic issues facing developing nations.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well at least a couple republicans condemned his tweeted remarks.
The response has been scary. Honestly this one shouldn't even be close. It is beyond disheartening to listen to the WH communications people this morning on NPR state that he didn't say anything racist, nor did he mean anything racist, and to deflect about the far left.....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
The response has been scary. Honestly this one shouldn't even be close. It is beyond disheartening to listen to the WH communications people this morning on NPR state that he didn't say anything racist, nor did he mean anything racist, and to deflect about the far left.....
I saw a headline this morning that I couldn't open because I would get too upset that said "Trump's Tweets - that's why we voted for him" to imply his crazy ass followers cheered

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
George Will's startling assessment of Donald Trump

it's George Will saying that
what Trump is doing, has done and will do to -- and with -- the presidency is more destructive
than the actions of a president who was forced to resign in order to keep from being impeached.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have a question for everyone.

As you know, I don’t like Trump, but what would you say are the 5 worst things in terms of policies or decisions that he has put into place since he has been in office? Not things he had said, but things he has done.

If you support him, what are the 5 best things he has done. Once again, not what he has said, but what he has done.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a question for everyone.

As you know, I don’t like Trump, but what would you say are the 5 worst things in terms of policies or decisions that he has put into place since he has been in office? Not things he had said, but things he has done.

If you support him, what are the 5 best things he has done. Once again, not what he has said, but what he has done.
This is what the candidates should be focused upon!!!

Worst things:

1. Selling arms to Saudi Arabia who is a massive frenemy
2. Gutting of data and programming related to scientific study of climate change
3. Gutting of rules related to off shore drilling
4. Judicial appointments - all of them
5. Rules curbing emissions of things long known to be unsafe, like mercury (come on, really)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Worst things (not in order):
1. Declaring an "emergency" (that by his own admission he "didn't have to do") to appropriate money that Congress expressly denied consistent with their Article 1 powers
2. Setting an official 'policy' of resisting all congressional oversight
3. Foreign policy: could delve into myriad specifics but will summarize that his policy of alienating our allies and getting played like a fiddle by enemies and autocrats is causing long term diplomatic damage
4. Withdrawing from Paris Climate Agreement. Future generations may judge this as his single greatest failure
5. Federal deficit has ballooned at a time when the economy would dictate it should be shrunk. Thanks in large part to underfunding that's resulted from ill-conceived tax cuts.

Trump's 5 greatest accomplishments in office:

1. Has yet to commit us to any more foreign conflicts
2. Has not ordered the launch of any nuclear weapons.
3. Made an okay speech at the D-day memorial
4. Failed to deliver on his promise to replace the Affordable Care Act (with something that would no doubt be a travesty)
5. Decision to fold on the standoff over the completely avoidable government shutdown

Last edited:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
That "send her back" chant is the most unsettling thing I've seen/heard domestically in my lifetime. It has a very 1939 feel to it, particularly the Great American Bund Nazi event in New York City, except now the President is the keynote speaker.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In no particular order:
1. Withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord
2. Withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal
3. Shutting down the federal government
4. Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and the deeply conservative cabal now occupying federal courts
5. His undermining consumer protections, environmental protections, national parks, housing and urban development, and et cetera ad nauseum

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There is the crazy thing... as long as the democrats continue with politics as usual party mentality, Trump will win.

Politicians need to stop being politicians and start being statesman again.

I had lunch with my Grandfather the other day who had on a MAGA hat on and 5 people came up to him and shared how much they like Trump. Not one person gave him any grief about it. Most of them commented about how Trump is not following party lines.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
There is the crazy thing... as long as the democrats continue with politics as usual party mentality, Trump will win.

Politicians need to stop being politicians and start being statesman again.

I had lunch with my Grandfather the other day who had on a MAGA hat on and 5 people came up to him and shared how much they like Trump. Not one person gave him any grief about it. Most of them commented about how Trump is not following party lines.
The thing is, skis, that real statesmen are truly rare. I would tend to agree with your statement if you said they need to "start trying to be statesmen above party".

Trump wins 2020 if:
1. The economy doesn't go south, hard; or
2. He doesn't bumble into any extended or punishing combat/war (by punishing I mean high US casualties even if "victorious"); or
3. He (and the Republican party) can avoid further alienating suburban women voters; or
4. Democrats insist on making the election about identity (they can never live down the "deplorables" comment) and not about healthcare and middle income pocketbooks

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
If the Democrats put up anyone but Biden I think they lose. Sanders and Warren are a death sentence, as is Harris likely. Although I think Buttigieg is really reasonable and checks a lot of boxes for someone to get the middle of America, I think there are still lots of Americans who won't vote for a happily married gay man.

I think Harris gets the nom after the D's eat Biden alive for being too "moderate", and she loses to Trump 52-48.

The D's will have to figure out that your revolution only works if you have power. "Moderate" views are what get you power. Trump won because the D's picked a terrible candidate who was fatally flawed. The D's are pushing and pushing to the left. If they pick a candidate who is unpalatable to Ohio and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, they are going to lose again. They should be focusing on the economy and the lack of promises that Trump has completed.

I don't see the fractured D party figuring it out. Trump hasn't grown his base by one person. But he has solidified the base he has. The D's aren't figuring out that the midwest is who they need to win.

It should be interesting what happens at the second D debate and if anyone gets a bump.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Trump won because the D's picked a terrible candidate who was fatally flawed.
They literally have no candidates who would have been better. I don't identify with either party but I'd say I am definitely closer to a "moderate Democrat" than anything else, but my God do they have a bunch of losers in their bullpen.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I don't mind Biden policy-wise, but he certainly has his own baggage. Not like Hillary, but he doesn't come into the race clean, either. (Full disclosure, I know Hillary had a lot of issues, but I actually like her as a politician.)

The problem is that for better or worse, Trump generates a lot of energy around himself. Unfortunately, I don't think the Dems have a candidate that will generate that same level of energy in a positive, supportive direction for themselves. There are candidates I really like, I just don't think they get the momentum behind them that they need. So I think the major challenge will come from whether or not the Democratic candidate, once selected, can generate enough negative energy around Trump to get the votes to defeat him.

I sure hope so, but it's not going to be a fun campaign.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There is zero chance of creepy uncle Joe getting elected. His personality seems to be everything the democrat base is against. Old white guy who can’t keep his hands off of women. Let’s face it, it’s like Trump with better hair.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm having fun watching the local politics. We're trying to ban the light rail expansions in the name of sending all that money to road repair. The part they don't tell you is that most of the money is federal for light rail so we won't get it. Also, it's led by the we hate spending tax money on transit we don't use especially if you're expanding into the poor neighborhood that desperately needs it.

The other bill is the no new city spending unless the pension debt has been paid off. So basically cut city services down to nothing because we all know they'll never pay off the pension debt, especially if they can't raise new money to do it. OF course this one is funded by some Utah person and a California person.

All of this was intentionally scheduled for an expense August election mid election cycle, but we won't complain about all the tax dollars spent on that.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Afghanistan asks for explanation after Trump claims US could wipe it 'off the face of the Earth'

"If we wanted to fight a war in Afghanistan and win it, I could win that war in a week. I just don't want to kill 10 million people,"
Trump said, seated beside Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan at the White House on Monday.
"I have plans on Afghanistan, that if I wanted to win that war, Afghanistan would be wiped off the face of the Earth. It would be gone. It would be over in -- literally, in 10 days, and I don't want to do -- I don't want to go that route."
What Teh @#$%!

Planit

Cyburbian
Like father, like daughter:

Ivanka tweeted congrats to Boris Johnson for becoming the "Prime Minister of the United Kingston"

Kingston, Jamaica?
Kingston-On-Thames?
Kingston Trio?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Based on a combination of several media reports, here is what I understand from the testimony given by Muller today...

Trump may have engaged in illegal activity, but conspiring with the Russians was not one of them.

What are your thoughts on this circus?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
This makes me angry and sick: Barr directs federal government to reinstate death penalty, schedule the execution of 5 death row inmates.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty. I don't see why there's a particular reason for this to come up now, other than to create some sort of distraction and throw a bone to Trump's supporters. I also think it's terrible to leave people in custody for years with an expectation that they would not be facing the death penalty, and then just to spring it on them. Yes, I know these men were convicted of heinous crimes. Even assuming they're guilty and that our justice system worked perfectly for their cases, we still have an obligation to treat them with basic human decency, and I do not believe this decision does that.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
My favorite part about Boris Johnson becoming PM is that the dude is American. Yes, he renounced his citizenship in 2016, BUT he was born in New York City.

After 243 years, an American is finally the PM of our oldest enemy. I love it.
Based on my very limited knowledge of anything to do with British Politics, my biggest quibble with Boris is that is voice and accent remind me of Sebastian Gorka's.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
This makes me angry and sick: Barr directs federal government to reinstate death penalty, schedule the execution of 5 death row inmates.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty. I don't see why there's a particular reason for this to come up now, other than to create some sort of distraction and throw a bone to Trump's supporters. I also think it's terrible to leave people in custody for years with an expectation that they would not be facing the death penalty, and then just to spring it on them. Yes, I know these men were convicted of heinous crimes. Even assuming they're guilty and that our justice system worked perfectly for their cases, we still have an obligation to treat them with basic human decency, and I do not believe this decision does that.
It's another item added to the list of the hypocrisy of the pro-lifers

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Do you think that the Clinton campaign had any contact with Russia? Why do you think that Muller’s investigation was limited to the Trump campaign?

DVD

Cyburbian
Do you think that the Clinton campaign had any contact with Russia? Why do you think that Muller’s investigation was limited to the Trump campaign?
I'm going with a history of let's say limited corruption to holy fuckballs this is corruption! There's also a fascination by the right with Clinton. It's like giving dating advice to dumb friends. Move on man she's just not into you. I'm also think we should look at the raging corruption that exists in the federal offices rather than the potential corruption that never made it to the office. I should also point out all the millions spent on investigating her and nothing sticks. Currently stuff is sticking on every wall and we're just going to blame the smell on Clinton.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Probably, much in the same way that Trump's campaign did. There is a ton of evidence out there that the Clinton's have had relationships with Russians that are well connected politically. This dates back to Bill's presidency. I don't think their interactions were about elections or getting elected, it was more related to foreign relations.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I am again saddened by the statements of POTUS and the silence of his fellow Republicans. Do none of them have the ability to look beyond 2020?

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm more disappointed in the silence of the Republicans. So one guy is a raging jerk. The others should stand up and say something. Maybe realize their job is to the state, not the party. Maybe realize as a group they can run over anything the president does with enough votes. It's not like you're going to get immigration reform or overturn Obamacare so why not site tight and just pass reasonable, useful laws?

Planit

Cyburbian
Well I guess pResident tRump did not lie about rodents & vermin being in Baltimore.
According to CNN, Kushner's properties have been cited multiple times for rodent infestation.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well the news sure loves Warren. Geez CNN sucked last night. Maybe tonight they will try and let people speak?

My take away from last night? Warren and Sanders are way too far left to win (when pragmatic isn't used as a good thing, we have problems). Most of the other candidates know that, but don't know how to deal with it in a primary election. They tried last night, but did not win. CNN asked some pretty angled questions. They weren't really good at all. CNN sucked more than usual is my real takeaway. That and there is yet another candidate or two (who is Marianne Williamson? :roflmao:) that is going to get some airtime because he was reasonable (Bullock).

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think no Democratic Senator should run for President at the risk of losing their seat.

I may have posted this here but I think we need to go back to the "good old days" of the smoked filled room when it was decided who would be President - this array of a cast of characters makes the party look chaotic and not coordinated and the Republicans are just laughing at the spectacle - to beat them at their game, it has to be carefully planned and staged

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I think no Democratic Senator should run for President at the risk of losing their seat.

I may have posted this here but I think we need to go back to the "good old days" of the smoked filled room when it was decided who would be President
Agreed on both counts.

My wife and I were talking about this mess last week and we came to the same conclusion that the DNC needs to put all the candidates in a room and no one leaves until there are only 2-3 primary candidates.

And everyone needs to agree and support them wholeheartedly and then everyone can push in the same direction.