• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Eh, I just posted that because A. It's always amused me, and B. He specifically mentioned the Rolling Stones.
lol I love Alice Cooper!

But it's true that people will say "ah shaddup" when a celebrity speaks politically - I mean, we elected a B actor twice to the White House so... I'd rather hear from a learned thespian or a Berklee grad any day

dw914er

Cyburbian
Speaking of the Rolling Stones...

Alice Cooper on rock stars and politics: "I absolutely hate it. It’s the worst idea ever. First of all, why do people think rock stars know more than they do? That is the biggest fallacy in the world – if anything, we’re dumber. We’re not smarter than anybody else. I mean, why do you think we’re rock stars?...Trust me, we don’t read magazines you don’t read. Nobody calls us up and gives us as inside information on politics. We know less than you do. If I watch TV, it’s Family Guy...When my mom and dad talked about who to vote for, I’d go in the other room and put on the Beatles or Rolling Stones – and I’m still like that."
Not that I necessarily disagree with Alice Cooper's statement, but it is worth noting that art, including music, does explore the political realm and makes observations. Not all artists and musicians focus on politics, and so in those cases their opinions may not be as informed and instead has presence simply from their celebrity status, but others do and are actually educated in those topics as well.

DVD

Cyburbian
It depends on the celeb and the cause. Some celebs are very well informed on their charity or topic of their choice just like you would be if you were super involved in a cause. Most of them are just idiots like the rest of us with some opinion to share, but I like what Alice says. Just picture the stoner back in high school giving you sage political advice. We're not worthy!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
It depends on the celeb and the cause. Some celebs are very well informed on their charity or topic of their choice just like you would be if you were super involved in a cause. Most of them are just idiots like the rest of us with some opinion to share, but I like what Alice says. Just picture the stoner back in high school giving you sage political advice. We're not worthy!
I read one time this banker type guy was attending some charity fundraiser where Bono was present and he got to talk to him at some length. The banker guy was genuinely surprised at the depth of his knowledge concerning economic issues facing developing nations.

Hink

OH....IO
Well at least a couple republicans condemned his tweeted remarks.
The response has been scary. Honestly this one shouldn't even be close. It is beyond disheartening to listen to the WH communications people this morning on NPR state that he didn't say anything racist, nor did he mean anything racist, and to deflect about the far left.....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
The response has been scary. Honestly this one shouldn't even be close. It is beyond disheartening to listen to the WH communications people this morning on NPR state that he didn't say anything racist, nor did he mean anything racist, and to deflect about the far left.....
I saw a headline this morning that I couldn't open because I would get too upset that said "Trump's Tweets - that's why we voted for him" to imply his crazy ass followers cheered

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
George Will's startling assessment of Donald Trump

it's George Will saying that
what Trump is doing, has done and will do to -- and with -- the presidency is more destructive
than the actions of a president who was forced to resign in order to keep from being impeached.