• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Nice, JNA. That was surely the first phrase that came to mind for most smart aleck Americans age 35-55.

The excellents.

Planit

Cyburbian
So tRump is in trouble for asking Ukraine to investigate Biden by a secret (initially) phone call.

What does the stable genius do now? Publicly asked China to do the same.

If you recall during the ‘16 campaign, he asked Russia on tv to find HRC’s email.

This is standard stuff. No bigly issue here.
(I guess if you might go down, you might as well go down in flames)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The doubling down on TV is troubling to me. It clearly shows he doesn't believe he is in the wrong and is comfortable confirming what he was doing previously, because no one will leave him. It shows me he feels that he is invincible. He knows the Republicans won't leave him for Elizabeth Warren.

The case against him is clear, if you are willing to look at it objectively. It may not be completely illegal. It sure looks like it is in a gray area. I wouldn't ever say that it 100% WASN'T ILLEGAL, like many republicans seem to be doing the last two days. I think at best it is 50/50. With that said though, it objectively is bad for our country. It is objectively something that no one should want our President to be doing. I go back to WWHIODI (what would happen if Obama did it). My answer is that this would be CRAZYTOWN on Hannity.

Even FoxNews is breaking when it comes to trying to explain what is happening. The clear rift between "news" and "opinion" is becoming more apparent. Which is funny because for years it wasn't...

We need a President that realizes that a good portion of the job is to act as a guiding light to our democracy.

Reactions: Dan

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Offered without comment:

WE ARE GOING TO DIE WITHIN MONTHS!

It seems that we have two fringes who are crazy.... ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I cant access AAEC Cartoons at work but at home I saw a good one today - DJT as the Joker ?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think this article is pretty good...

Trump isn't used to having oversight. His ability to adapt to something different is his biggest weakness.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Trump Twitter said:
As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!).
I am just not sure what to say about this. I feel like it is the Onion.... but it isn't. Wow...

Planit

Cyburbian
I saw that and wow is right. Reality TV is one thing, but the reality in the world is scary.

"...in my great and unmatched wisdom..."

Just let that resonate for a bit. The 'stable genius" line was one thing. This is completely stunning (& not in a good way).

DVD

Cyburbian
I am so using that line in everything I do.

If you apply for anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the application/you at the public hearing/etc.

Think of the possibilities!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am so using that line in everything I do.

If you apply for anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the application/you at the public hearing/etc.

Think of the possibilities!
It is a pretty great line. I'm going to have to find a way to work that into all of my work emails.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So just so we are clear:

Republicans: The writers of the legislation in 1964 didn't mean for sex to mean sexual orientation, they didn't even know what that meant then. They shouldn't be protected!
Also Republicans: The founders understood that all gun types should always be protected and never regulated. ALL GUNS!

Reactions: Dan

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
two questions:

1. Polling today: with people giving up their landline, who are pollsters calling now - i.e. is Joe Biden leading in the polls for the simple reason that pollsters are only getting old white democrats on the phone?

2. How is it that a person can refuse to testify under subpeona and not be arrested

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
two questions:

1. Polling today: with people giving up their landline, who are pollsters calling now - i.e. is Joe Biden leading in the polls for the simple reason that pollsters are only getting old white democrats on the phone?

2. How is it that a person can refuse to testify under subpeona and not be arrested
I saw a WaPo poll (on impeachment) today that reported 62% of callers were reached via cell and the rest via landline. I have yet to get a polling call on my cellphone, but I tend to not answer unknown callers.

I think you'll start to see arrests for these folks ignoring subpoenas.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw a WaPo poll (on impeachment) today that reported 62% of callers were reached via cell and the rest via landline. I have yet to get a polling call on my cellphone, but I tend to not answer unknown callers.

I think you'll start to see arrests for these folks ignoring subpoenas.
I received a polling call via cell phone in the waning days of the Christie administration.

I appreciate Dan Rather's thoughtful commentary on this administration.

1570638952356.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
"...they didn’t help us with Normandy..." Huh?

And what about New Zealand? I mean who needs those losers as allies? Like, what contributions did they ever make to our war efforts during the Spanish-American War? None! And don't even get me started on all our wars Brazil chickened out of....

DVD

Cyburbian
We did it in my last job. Then there was controversy over how the county commissioner flipped the coin instead of the clerk or some BS.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Happened in a community I used to work for back in 2007...

Planit

Cyburbian
CM: Please get a bid to install a water fountain as part of the project.
Me: The project we are awarding bids for tonight?
CM: Yes.
Me: That's already part of the project.
CM: Since when?
Me: Since the plans were drawn. May I ask why?
CM: Councilman ____ wanted it. Can you tell him tonight?
Me: Sure. During my presentation or off to the side?
CM: Off to the side is better. Just so you let him know.
Me: No problem.

* The plans have been completed & on display since April. Have also explained project details multiple times through bidding and public discussions. :thinking:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So I watched last night.

My takeaways:

• I think Biden is done.
  • I don't think Elizabeth Warren can win the whole thing. She is the Hillary of 2020. The D's love her, but she isn't the candidate to win the whole thing.
  • I can't believe that Bernie showed up. He just had a heart attack. Isn't that worth just saying "I'm out"?
  • I think Pete is too rational. The D Primary is about unbelievable hyperbole and talking about shiny objects. He keeps trying to be rational and reasonable. It isn't going to win it for him.
  • I like that Yang wore a Math pin. That is funny. He still has no chance. Although they talked about UBI a lot, which I guess is a win for him.
  • Why are Harris, Booker, Klobachar, and Gabbard still in this? Just move on already.
  • I'm not sure why Steyer thought his entrance into this race was needed...

Overall it was painful. These just seem to keep getting more painful. Almost as painful as when Bernie (sort of) called out Warren for taxes on the middle class going up. The wince from Warren was real. That is like me throughout the whole thing...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I watched last night.

My takeaways:

• I think Biden is done.
  • I don't think Elizabeth Warren can win the whole thing. She is the Hillary of 2020. The D's love her, but she isn't the candidate to win the whole thing.
  • I can't believe that Bernie showed up. He just had a heart attack. Isn't that worth just saying "I'm out"?
  • I think Pete is too rational. The D Primary is about unbelievable hyperbole and talking about shiny objects. He keeps trying to be rational and reasonable. It isn't going to win it for him.
  • I like that Yang wore a Math pin. That is funny. He still has no chance. Although they talked about UBI a lot, which I guess is a win for him.
  • Why are Harris, Booker, Klobachar, and Gabbard still in this? Just move on already.
  • I'm not sure why Steyer thought his entrance into this race was needed...

Overall it was painful. These just seem to keep getting more painful. Almost as painful as when Bernie (sort of) called out Warren for taxes on the middle class going up. The wince from Warren was real. That is like me throughout the whole thing...
It was long, I even tuned out for a little while.

Booker should never be in charge of anything ever again (I'm a Newarker) and Yang, Klobuchar, Gabbard, and Harris need to bow out. Biden should have never thrown his hat in the ring-the last election was the time for him to run if it ever was time. Bernie can't win against Trump.

The DNC really needs to apply some pressure to narrow the field and start coalescing around just a few candidates. I'd personally go for a Warren/Buttigieg ticket. NJ's primary is almost dead last so the final contenders will be decided before we get to vote.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I watched 2/3 of the debate last night (it was at my undergrad alma mater! :D). There were definitely too many people on that stage. The key takeaways I recall are:

• There were definitely a lot of attacks on Elizabeth Warren, which must mean that the others are considering her a real contender.
  • Cory Booker should drop out to be the official "Democratic motivational speaker" - c'mon guys, why can't we all just get along!
  • Pete made Gabbard and O'Rourke look like left-wing extremists on the assault rifles and pulling troops out of the Middle East issues
  • I don't recall anything that Biden said :ha:
  • It was great to see Bernie there but I wish he'd drop out and be a mentor to whomever the candidate ends up being
  • I want to Google-check Warren's "charge the super wealthy an extra two cents for every dollar above $XZY dollars they make, and we can pay for all of these early childhood programs" statements
  • Who was that Tom guy?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I watched 2/3 of the debate last night (it was at my undergrad alma mater! :D). There were definitely too many people on that stage. The key takeaways I recall are:

• There were definitely a lot of attacks on Elizabeth Warren, which must mean that the others are considering her a real contender.
  • Cory Booker should drop out to be the official "Democratic motivational speaker" - c'mon guys, why can't we all just get along!
  • Pete made Gabbard and O'Rourke look like left-wing extremists on the assault rifles and pulling troops out of the Middle East issues
  • I don't recall anything that Biden said :ha:
  • It was great to see Bernie there but I wish he'd drop out and be a mentor to whomever the candidate ends up being
  • I want to Google-check Warren's "charge the super wealthy an extra two cents for every dollar above $XZY dollars they make, and we can pay for all of these early childhood programs" statements
  • Who was that Tom guy?
I did not watch... but I did read a several different summaries and have determined that I am once again likely to vote for the best 3rd party candidate.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Tom Steyer has been running a ton of TV ads here in South Cackalackie. Not sure about elsewhere. He's got the money that's for sure.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Tom Steyer has been running a ton of TV ads here in South Cackalackie. Not sure about elsewhere. He's got the money that's for sure.
I'm seeing them in NE OH right now too.

First ones I've seen from any D candidate. I was quite surprised to see it this early, but maybe he knows what he's doing or just wasting cash. I don't know.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You know maybe the Dems running with a Washington outsider isn't such a bad idea, when you think about it. Could potentially appeal to both the base and independents, and not have political baggage vulnerabilities. It's worth considering.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
You know maybe the Dems running with a Washington outsider isn't such a bad idea, when you think about it. Could potentially appeal to both the base and independents, and not have political baggage vulnerabilities. It's worth considering.
Agreed. Clinton and Obama both came out of seemingly nowhere in their first primaries.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Political ads you say? Been running here for months in NH (by multiple candidates)...one of the drawbacks of being the first primary state.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Political ads you say? Been running here for months in NH (by multiple candidates)...one of the drawbacks of being the first primary state.
And we're probably getting them in OH because we're a 'big deal' general election state.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Planit

Cyburbian
The letter is just another example of the bully. What is this foreign policy? 5th Grade threats and innuendo?
New York Wiseguy Mob Boss Tactics.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Okay.... can we talk about this letter?
Imagine if one of us in our work wrote and distributed an official letter like that?

How do I register for unemployment again?

I am utterly ashamed that he is our President - egotistical nincompoopery.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Okay.... can we talk about this letter?

Holy.... geez I just don't know how he can see these things as wins for him. Is he really that blind to reality? Wowza...
I keep being surprised that it really exists and is really, truly, a letter that the President of the United States wrote. I think of all the people who would be fired or at least reprimanded if they wrote professional letters like that!

hahaha Planit. . . 5th grade threats and innuendo is spot on.