• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I don't really get the "joke" there. Is it a gay joke, or an age joke? Or a little of both?
The reporter is an attractive woman in her early 20s and he's talking about a bunch of young, presumably horny, teenage boys alone with her.

Got it?

It's objectively terrible to say.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
The reporter is an attractive women in her early 20s and he's talking about a bunch of young, presumably horny, teenage boys alone with her.

Got it?

What an idiot. I didn't click the links and sort of assumed the reporter he was talking to was a man. I wound never have guessed someone would be so stupid that they'd actually say that to a woman.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What an idiot. I didn't click the links and sort of assumed the reporter he was talking to was a man. I wound never have guessed someone would be so stupid that they'd actually say that to a woman.
Oh he didn't mean it..... at least he is saying he is sorry she interpreted it wrong. :tired:

Haven't we moved past the point where these guys are getting kicked out of office? I mean that isn't something someone who has any modicum of reasonableness says in mixed company. Say it with your fishing buddies if that give you giggles, but don't say it on the Senate floor, or to other people who have enough sense to take offense to the nature of the comment.

He isn't an idiot, he just thought he could get away with it. Which is the problem.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The reporter is an attractive women in her early 20s and he's talking about a bunch of young, presumably horny, teenage boys alone with her.

Got it?

It's made even worse because there has been some very recent cases of hazing, fighting, and other all-around-awful-behavior at the Detroit area Catholic schools (of which De La Salle is one) lately. When I read that the legislator asked if the reporter had "heard of De La Salle" that brought up a whole other level of connotation and I'm sure I'm not the only Detroit area resident whose mind went there.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Oh he didn't mean it..... at least he is saying he is sorry she interpreted it wrong. :tired:

Haven't we moved past the point where these guys are getting kicked out of office? I mean that isn't something someone who has any modicum of reasonableness says in mixed company. Say it with your fishing buddies if that give you giggles, but don't say it on the Senate floor, or to other people who have enough sense to take offense to the nature of the comment.

He isn't an idiot, he just thought he could get away with it. Which is the problem.
Actually ... he's trying everything at this point. Claims he never said that, claims that last week he told a group of schoolgirls about how the "boys" in the Senate "would have fun" with them, claims that he was inviting the female reporter and the boys to the Senate floor "to have fun" because she wasn't allowed there otherwise. (Media are, in fact, allowed on the Senate floor.)

This guy is a first-term senator, coming over from the house. He's drawing a lot of attention to his district, and his seat.

Why, there he is above the fold at WaPo!

wapo lucido.png

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I can't imagine that Mitch McConnell will be remembered fondly by anyone. He has to be one of the worst leaders in Senate history.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Having "some fun" with this. I am hopeful that the signage tomorrow at the Women's March offers some good riffs.

From the Freep:

Lucido was asked twice during a Wednesday morning telephone interview by the Free Press whether he had been misquoted. He twice said he was not denying the quotes attributed to him, but he felt they were being taken out of context and out of proportion.
He also did not claim to have been misquoted when he issued what he called an apology for a misunderstanding later on Wednesday morning.
“I apologize for the misunderstanding yesterday (Tuesday) and for offending Allison Donahue," Lucido said in the statement, issued midmorning through the Senate GOP and Lucido's Twitter account.
Lucido, who is majority caucus whip, also did not say he was misquoted on Tuesday when Donahue told him she found his remarks unprofessional and questioned what he was insinuating by "saying that I would have fun with" the high school students, based on a recording of that exchange.
But late Wednesday, after Senate leaders announced an investigation into his conduct, Lucido told both WDIV-TV (Channel 4) and the Washington Post that the quotes attributed to him by the Michigan Advance were not accurate. He also said he was misquoted during a Thursday morning radio interview with host Paul W. Smith on WJR-AM.
"I said, 'We're going on the (Senate) floor to have some fun; you're welcome to join us,'" Lucido told Channel 4.
Lucido told WJR he was about to take the students onto the Senate floor to learn about government when Donahue requested the interview and told her she could either come along with them or wait about 30 minutes outside the Senate chamber.
"I want to bring them on the floor; you're welcome to come and join us," Lucido said he told Donahue. "You're welcome to have some fun with us."
Lucido, who dodged Capitol reporters Wednesday and Thursday, did not immediately respond to a Thursday text message from the Free Press asking why he later told some media outlets he had been misquoted after telling the Free Press that he had not been misquoted. His cellphone mailbox was full Thursday and not accepting messages.
The initial exchange between Donahue and Lucido, when he made the comments about having fun, took place when Donahue was trying to get Lucido's attention and was not recorded, Demas said. But it was immediately reported to both Demas and a colleague, she said. The exchange immediately following that, in which Donahue challenges Lucido about his comments, was recorded and is posted on the Michigan Advance website.
De La Salle posted a statement about the incident on its Twitter account Wednesday.
"Sen. Lucido’s comments do not represent De La Salle nor the values and conduct we instill in our young men," the statement said. "We are very sorry the reporter was put in this position and we have met with the boys who were on the tour to discuss the improper nature of this situation."
Bill Roose, a spokesman for De La Salle, said about 20 boys were on the Capitol tour and about half were present when the exchange took place.
It appeared that some of them "heard pretty much what she reported," Roose said. But school officials did not press the boys for precise details about what Lucido said because at the time school officials met with the boys Wednesday, Lucido was not disputing that he made the remarks, as reported.
"I believe her," said Roose. He said that he called Donahue on Wednesday to apologize on behalf of the school, "if the boys' laughter offended her."
But Roose backtracked somewhat after he was told that Lucido is now saying he was misquoted. The school does not want to get into the middle of the disagreement, he said.
None of the three adults from the school who were on the tour heard the exchange, though one was aware Donahue was upset, he said.
"If he said what she reported, then that's inappropriate," Roose said.
"We tried to turn it into a teaching moment," and instructed the boys to speak up and object in the future when they hear comments that are inappropriate, he said.
Asked if any of the boys protested during the counseling session and said they did not feel Lucido had said something inappropriate, Roose said they did not.
The boys said some of the laughter started when Lucido asked whether Donahue had heard of De La Salle and Donahue said no, because in their world everyone has heard of the high school, he said.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think the Democrats are not doing a good job trying to win over Republicans with the impeachment. Was it an uphill battle? Yep. But I am not sure they have convinced a single senate republican.

I'm not sure what they should have done, but I just don't see anything changing. I also see that the republicans are winning points on the hurried process, the after-the-fact information, and whether true or not (it is not), lack of direct facts.

I don't believe the general public either is smart enough or cares enough to realize that half the problem is that the people who need to speak haven't been allowed to speak on the record.

I do wonder what the republican party is going to be like after Trump. I mean there will be tons of books about how terrible Trump was as President after he is gone, but will the republicans realize who they became under Trump's hand? Will they apologize for making the country worse to better a single person?

I don't like the Democrats for a lot of reasons, but I just can't understand what the Republicans think they are doing right now. How do they think this will look in 10 years. When they aren't up for reelection?

DVD

Cyburbian
I don't think it's about standing behind a single person. They're standing behind a party. If no one breaks ranks then they control everything. I'm sure they're hoping for a better person, but for now they'll back up whatever monkey is running the circus.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I don't think it's about standing behind a single person. They're standing behind a party. If no one breaks ranks then they control everything. I'm sure they're hoping for a better person, but for now they'll back up whatever monkey is running the circus.
That's the only likely explanation I can think of at this point.

I'd be slightly less concerned about this if the Party could actually control the monkey, but they are incompetent enough to have no control over him and don't know how to cut bait. They then end up having to support the monkey's idiocy and baseless hyperbole.

It's going to rot them from the inside out and they're doing it willingly, which has already started.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It's going to rot them from the inside out and they're doing it willingly, which has already started.
I think house members certainly have just decided to stop running, seeing the writing on the wall. With a country that has lots of red still though, I think we won't see the Senate change overnight. There will still be republicans who have a conscience. I am just wondering what those R's will say once Trump is gone.

Who is the next R President? I mean no one will ever be like Trump again. I think Trump has created a pretty clear expectation on what a President is not. I am just really interested in trying to understand what McConnell will support, now that he gave his soul for what seems to be a single person. I don't really think it is about party, as the Republican party would likely be better off overall, if they cut bait, but they clearly are scared of Trump and the ramification of going against his will.

John Bolton and Mick Mulvaney's books will make millions, telling the stories of the Trump administration. If it goes another 4 years, I think lots more will come out before he is done. If he loses in November, I think that the cut won't get deeper and many may just let it go.

I still believe in statesmen, and I think there are many in the Republican party that understand how wrong Trump is, and behind the scenes are not supportive. They are just scared. I have more Republican friends that I can ever remember, actually saying that Trump is terrible. I mean it is all Obama's fault still, but they don't like Trump. Which is something I wouldn't have ever imagined them saying...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have more Republican friends that I can ever remember, actually saying that Trump is terrible. I mean it is all Obama's fault still, but they don't like Trump. Which is something I wouldn't have ever imagined them saying...
It definitely depends on where you live too. Here, there are Trump 2020 flags all over the place. I attribute this to us being: A) a relatively uneducated County, primarily consisting of high school graduates and not much else, and B) being a very rural economically depressed county. Folks see jobs being created under Trump and the economy picking back up, but because they're generally uneducated, they lack the knowledge to understand that these improvements take time and generally occur because of the previous administration.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I don't really think it is about party, as the Republican party would likely be better off overall, if they cut bait, but they clearly are scared of Trump and the ramification of going against his will.
Perhaps, but they wouldn't have to be scared of him if the Senate cuts bait in the Impeachment Trial and they just double down on Pence for the 2020 nomination.

Trump will be harmless once he's not President, because NY State is ready to prosecute him the moment he's not hiding behind the Presidency. He'll be too busy and distracted to attack the Party or individuals during a capital case defense.

The more they support Trump, the more they lose in the short and long term. Not even talking about their legacy in the eyes of History.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
So tRump’s Doral Resort doubled their prices the day before the White House announced tRump’s visit there. That means his security detail will pay inflated prices - I mean our tax dollars will be paying the inflated prices.
Coincident I’m sure.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
But wait, the stable genius wants to protect other geniuses like Musk, Edison and the guy who invented the wheel.

https://jalopnik.com/president-trump-wants-to-protect-geniuses-like-elon-mus-1841166463
:roflmao:quote from the article:

"Trump is speaking with his usual carefully-considered eloquence, employing the sort of diction and sentence construction one would normally only find demonstrated by those lucky enough to have just been struck with some plywood or just finished huffing some oven cleaner."

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
:roflmao:quote from the article:

"Trump is speaking with his usual carefully-considered eloquence, employing the sort of diction and sentence construction one would normally only find demonstrated by those lucky enough to have just been struck with some plywood or just finished huffing some oven cleaner."
We laugh, but I think this is a very important aspect of his likeability to the great unwashed masses. He talks like they do and not like a university professor, so they can relate to him. Unlike, say, Obama.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

MD Planner

Cyburbian
There are not many things that I would praise Trump for, but this is one time that I will say well done.

And that's great if that's your position on the issue but it's just so blatant that he does this to pander to the hardcore base of the party. I don't think he gives a crap about it one way or the other except as far as it will garner him votes.

DVD

Cyburbian
There are not many things that I would praise Trump for, but this is one time that I will say well done.

You say that now, but something stupid this way comes. You know he's going to say something about unborn children taking over the airfields in the civil war.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
And that's great if that's your position on the issue but it's just so blatant that he does this to pander to the hardcore base of the party. I don't think he gives a crap about it one way or the other except as far as it will garner him votes.
Yes, but those whom for whatever reason can ignore his moral compass and ignorance of actual religion, are happy he supports banning abortion! The only cause that matters to the religious right, for some reason.

It is true that I am pro-life (yet still hate abortion and hope it never happens), but I am really lost as to how the religious right has lost its way so far that their only issue is abortion. What about homelessness? What about equality, equity, helping the poor, or immigrants, or any other standard in the good book. I get that it is really important, but is that more important than all the other issues?

Mski's I guess that is a question for you, is abortion more important than other social conservative viewpoints? I mean I would imagine is the most important to you and many others? Can I ask why?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
tRump doesn't care about the abortion issue - he's paid for how many for his mistresses?
also, you CANNOT EVER SAY you are pro-life if you are okay with

• incarcerating children in cages away from their parents
  • calling any population of humans "animals"
  • making fun of disabled people
  • bragging about assaulting women

Veloise

Cyburbian
Rep. Adam Schiff, closing argument
Donald Trump impeachment trial in the Senate
Thursday, January 23, 2020

If the truth doesn’t matter, we’re lost.
Framers couldn’t protect us from ourselves, if right and truth don’t matter. And you know that what he did was not right.
That’s what they do in the old country, that Colonel Vindman’s father came from. Or the old country that my great grandfather came from, or the old countries that your ancestors came from, or maybe you came from.
But here, right is supposed to matter. It’s what’s made us the greatest nation on earth. No constitution can protect us, right doesn’t matter any more.
And you know you can’t trust this President to do what’s right for this country. You can trust he will do what’s right for Donald Trump. He’ll do it now. He’s done it before. He’ll do it for the next several months. He’ll do it in the election if he’s allowed to.
This is why if you find him guilty, you must find that he should be removed.
Because right matters.
Because right matters and the truth matters.
Otherwise, we are lost.

Veloise

Cyburbian
John Roberts comes face to face with the mess he made op-ed in WaPo

"There is justice in John Roberts being forced to preside silently over the impeachment trial of President Trump, hour after hour, day after tedious day. ...
Roberts’s captivity is entirely fitting: He is forced to witness, with his own eyes, the mess he and his colleagues on the Supreme Court have made of the U.S. political system. As representatives of all three branches of government attend this unhappy family reunion, the living consequences of the Roberts Court’s decisions, and their corrosive effect on democracy, are plain to see."

Meanwhile, Rand Paul works a crossword, folds a paper airplane, writes fake ransom notes as if he were a kidnapped child

rand paul meme.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Perhaps, but he has been making pro-life comments for many years now.

I also find it pathetic that CNN calls it Anti-Abortion rally when the formal title is March for Life... and yes, I know that Fox News does the exact same pathetic thing when it benefits their agenda.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
‘Your head will be on a pike’: GOP senators warned to stay on Trump’s side in impeachment trial

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
^^^If this isn’t Exhibit A in the case against Moscow Mitch and the Republican senate, I don’t know what would be.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
To certain individuals of small mind and overweening ambition, there's no greater insult than to be proved wrong.
Joe Rochefort's War by Elliot Carlson, 2011

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
VFW Expects Apology From POTUS
‘TBI is a serious injury and one that cannot be taken lightly’

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So....
John Bolton and Mick Mulvaney's books will make millions, telling the stories of the Trump administration.
Ummm.... I was kinda right? Bolton did have a book... and well... geez....

Planit

Cyburbian
tRump's spiritual advisor commanded "Satanic pregnancies to miscarry now" as part of her sermon.

Now this comes from a person who has stated every pregnancy is a gift from God (even in case of rape) and is very pro-life (anti-abortion)...really? This is some batsh!+ crazy cult. It ain't the protestant Christianity where I was brought up.

Also, Pompeo stated in an NPR interview "Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?"

AG74683

Cyburbian
also, you CANNOT EVER SAY you are pro-life if you are okay with

• incarcerating children in cages away from their parents
  • calling any population of humans "animals"
  • making fun of disabled people
  • bragging about assaulting women
I don't think Trump is "okay" with that in a sense, I think he literally just does not care one way or the other. He's what I call a "social chameleon". One who changes their entire social behavior, including beliefs, based upon who they want to impress or fit in with. He made a complete 180 from where he was most of his life just to appeal to the masses to get elected.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
New conspiracy theory:

Iran fired a missile that tRump ordered Pompeo to shoot down the helicopter Kobe was in to distract attention from the impeachment hearings.

This is sarcasm and not intended anyway to make light of the 9 people - fathers, mothers, coaches, & children - who perished in that accident.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Kind of politically related based on Trump's limits on immigration: My son and daughter-in-law have their final interview this week and if it goes well, she will get her green card. Cross your fingers.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Don't worry, y'all. Although I live in a rural Virginia county, we have enough liberal hippy-types to prevent us from seceding should it come to that!

In general, I'm kind of a "to each their own" kind of person, but I really hope if this does gain actual traction there's a lot more information shared about other potential implications about leaving Virginia for West Virginia. As I'm sure you're all aware, the counties that would be likely in favor of it are poor and under-resourced.

Planit

Cyburbian
This is from a CNN article:
The legal reasoning from Dershowitz -- while outside the mainstream -- is giving Republican senators political cover to stand with the President.
The Harvard emeritus professor claimed on the Senate floor that if a politician thinks his reelection is in the national interest, any actions he takes towards that end cannot by definition be impeachable.
"And if a president did something that he believes will help him get elected, in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment," Dershowitz argued.

Do they not think this interpretation will come back to bite them in the arse in the future? Oh never mind, they've been contradicting themselves (from the 90s) this entire time. Hypocrisy is rampant!