• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm more interested in the reaction from the Bernie Bros - do they try and burn everything to the ground because their messiah isn't getting the nomination?
I hope not. That would be the definition of missing the forest for the trees.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Noted.

I still would greatly advise against abdicating your right.

But it is a right that is not compulsory.
My issue is that Biden is just as culpable as as Trump is when it comes to mouthing off and being a general degenerate. I mean that video from yesterday is proof enough that Biden doesn't deserve the office any more than Trump does. Telling a voter asking you questions based upon your OWN statements that he's full of bullshit. Then wagging your finger in his face like he's some sort of child. It'll be more of the same.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My issue is that Biden is just as culpable as as Trump is when it comes to mouthing off and being a general degenerate. I mean that video from yesterday is proof enough that Biden doesn't deserve the office any more than Trump does. Telling a voter asking you questions based upon your OWN statements that he's full of bullshit. Then wagging your finger in his face like he's some sort of child. It'll be more of the same.
You're not off based, but I still feel the Current is objectively worse and more dangerous than the Possible.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
In the end you should still vote. Whomever it is for. Pick your poison. Or pick Jill Stein who I am sure will keep running. Or whomever is the Libertarian candidate.

My frustrations with government are clear. I very much dislike both political parties, because neither of them represent cleanly my views. But I will vote because that is a special right that we have. Even if I lived in California or Mississippi I would still vote. Because even if your single vote doesn't change an outcome, it is still important.

I just saw that Putin changed the laws to get another 40 years in office or something..... I mean, we get to elect our leaders. Use that power.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I would hope Biden brings in Harris as VP. She could well be President then. It blows my mind that someone would sit this out and can't see a difference between Biden and Trump. Really? Really?
No kidding. Biden is definitely an ass and has had some misogynistic/bigoted statements (I'm not a fan of Uncle Joe but my preferred choice is out), but Trump has more severe beliefs along those lines, has acted on them and has demonstrated authoritarian tendencies & disrespect for rule-of-law that look/feel like thirst for tyranny.

I also don't take a lot of issue in his response to that guy's question. The guy was clearly planted and asking the political equivalent of "when did you stop beating your spouse?"

DVD

Cyburbian
If you don't vote, you don't get to complain about the outcome.
Yep, only reason I vote is so I can complain later. If I feel like it. Also to hold it over your head that I'm doing my civic duty and you're not.

This year it's all about get rid of agent orange. I really don't care who the dems put up, I'm voting for them.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
No kidding. Biden is definitely an ass and has had some misogynistic/bigoted statements (I'm not a fan of Uncle Joe but my preferred choice is out), but Trump has more severe beliefs along those lines, has acted on them and has demonstrated authoritarian tendencies & disrespect for rule-of-law that look/feel like thirst for tyranny.

I also don't take a lot of issue in his response to that guy's question. The guy was clearly planted and asking the political equivalent of "when did you stop beating your spouse?"
There is no doubt that Biden would put better people in his cabinet. His administration would be so superior in the sense of basic competence. We all know Biden has flaws, but look at the big picture here.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There is no doubt that Biden would put better people in his cabinet. His administration would be so superior in the sense of basic competence. We all know Biden has flaws, but look at the big picture here.
Competence and understanding of his limitations. I would like to see a President who again understands that he or she may not know everything, and is able to defer to someone who knows more. I don't think it makes you look stupid or weak if you don't understand coronavirus as well as a doctor. Which is why a doctor should be in charge of the response. I agree with the idea that his cabinet would be better suited. The Trump cabinet has been one of the least experienced groups ever. And now they can't get anyone worth a salt, because he just goes through people who don't hold his judgement above all else.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Competence and understanding of his limitations. I would like to see a President who again understands that he or she may not know everything, and is able to defer to someone who knows more. I don't think it makes you look stupid or weak if you don't understand coronavirus as well as a doctor.
Which is why a doctor should be in charge of the response.
I agree with the idea that his cabinet would be better suited. The Trump cabinet has been one of the least experienced groups ever. And now they can't get anyone worth a salt, because he just goes through people who don't hold his judgement above all else.
Such as this guy. https://twitter.com/DrRobDavidson

(full disclosure: we met when I was managing a congressional campaign in an adjacent district; he challenged the clueless R (1) in MI-02 and did not prevail

(1) but I repeat myself

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Is there anyone....with any level of intelligence...who watched that "address" last night that really believes Biden would be no better than Trump? He wiped out trillions in market cap in 10 minutes.

Planit

Cyburbian
2 weeks ago: "cases down close to zero within days"

Wednesday night: "We must put politics aside, stop the partisanship and unify together as one nation and one family"

Thursday night tweet: "Sleepy Joe response to Swine Flu one of worst. Our response is one of best 78% Approval, the highest on record. His was lowest!"

I'll give you 3 guesses who said these things, and the first two guesses don't count.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
2 weeks ago: "cases down close to zero within days"

Wednesday night: "We must put politics aside, stop the partisanship and unify together as one nation and one family"

Thursday night tweet: "Sleepy Joe response to Swine Flu one of worst. Our response is one of best 78% Approval, the highest on record. His was lowest!"

I'll give you 3 guesses who said these things, and the first two guesses don't count.
This isn't about politics. It is about solutions.

Our republican governor is leading, which is going to prove to be the right side of history, but I really think he is likely taking a lot of heat. I have heard from many Ohio R's that I am friends with that his closing of the schools was "being a pansy". Whatever the hell that means...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

Our republican governor is leading, which is going to prove to be the right side of history, but I really think he is likely taking a lot of heat. I have heard from many Ohio R's that I am friends with that his closing of the schools was "being a pansy". Whatever the hell that means...
Agreed.

Also...quiz time: Which state has had the most natives become US President?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Agreed.

Also...quiz time: Which state has had the most natives become US President?
Is it still Ohio? I thought now that Trump was president, New York had tied or surpassed Ohio.

Edit:

I just looked at the list:

1. Ohio 7
  2. New York 5
  3. Virginia 3
    1. If you include the Virginia Colony, Virginia has 8

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
President Trump: “They think August, July, it could be longer than that."

President Trump: "The economy may be heading into a recession."

Stock market plunges 3,000 points.

Ten months later ...

biden.jpg

That is, unless Trump finds a way to delay elections. "It's still bad, really bad. We have to wait a year, two, and then we'll have the best election ever! A fantastic election, wait and see."

DVD

Cyburbian
This is all an elaborate plan to reelect trump by tanking the economy and causing a global pandemic then have some miracle answer that will be released just before voting to make the president look like a hero. Either that or the world's best voter suppression act.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Oh this is hilarious.

President Donald Trump on Tuesday attacked Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Twitter after Whitmer was critical of the president's and the federal government's response to the coronavirus pandemic."Failing Michigan Governor must work harder and be much more proactive," Trump tweeted. "We are pushing her to get the job done. I stand with Michigan!"

"To hear the leader of the federal government tell us to work around the federal government because it's too slow — it's kind of mind-boggling," Whitmer said.

Whitmer responded to Trump on Twitter Tuesday.

"Now that I’ve got your attention, Mr. President — attack tweets won’t solve this crisis," the governor said. "But swift and clear guidance, tests, personal protective equipment, and resources would."

DVD

Cyburbian
This just in from our county voting chief. The rattlesnake at the Pinnacle Peak poling location has been dealt with.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ #ArizonaProblems

That actually sounds like one of the news tidbits (that would have absolutely no backstory or follow-up) from the Welcome to Night Vale podcast.

Planit

Cyburbian
NC's Lt. Gov. Dan Forrest (a republican) just publicly ripped the Gov. Roy Cooper's (a democrat) decision to close restaurants for dine-in service. Complained it wasn't right and will hurt small businesses.

ALSO...Lt. Gov. Forrest and Gov. Cooper will square off against each other in the general election for Gov. this November. It has already been noted that the Lt. Gov is turning this into an election issue.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Our voting was cancelled yesterday. Our governor is really taking charge of this. He is owning the choice too, as he lost in court to let that happen.

I do have some concerns about putting off elections, when our government relies on them, but it was likely the right choice for the situation we are currently in.

I am worried though that a pandemic in November some year will mean that a President can just put off the election..... which isn't a good thing...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am worried though that a pandemic in November some year will mean that a President can just put off the election..... which isn't a good thing...
It may be too late for 2020 in many states (especially in some of those R-run states that seem to be refusing to admit there's even a problem out there) but I'm hoping that this will be a catalyst to making things like early voting and voting by mail much much easier, or maybe even the norm, in future elections.

Veloise

Cyburbian

Here's an article about governors taking the lead.

About pansies:

In Florida, some megachurch pastors connected to Mr. Trump are defying public health officials’ guidance to avoid large gatherings, according to reports by The Miami Herald and the liberal People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch project. On Sunday, designated by Mr. Trump as a national day of prayer, the Rev. Rodney Howard-Browne, an evangelical pastor and conspiracy theorist who has prayed with Mr. Trump in the White House, encouraged his tightly packed congregation to shake hands, to prove they were not “pansies.”
“Because the climate change narrative for global governance failed,” Mr. Howard-Browne said in a video of the service, “they are using the World Health Organization to then come in and take over the control of nations.” He added, “There’s going to be forced vaccines” to “kill off many people."

source: NYT

In the style of the "first hit is free" come-on, NYT offers a $2/week digital subscription. They removed the paywall on most COVID-19 coverage, as did WaPo.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
In the style of the "first hit is free" come-on, NYT offers a $2/week digital subscription. They removed the paywall on most COVID-19 coverage, as did WaPo.
That's a good idea. Our local rag sucks pretty hard in most cases but they've done a pretty good job at pointing out local resources regarding the current emergency. Unfortunately, they have a very strict paywall... I think I may reach out to our communications officer to see if he can convince them to remove that paywall at least on Covid19-related articles.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Why do I feel like Trump is always selling me a bill of goods I never wanted?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The extinct recent past: January 25, 2017

AG74683

Cyburbian
Just when you see a glimmer of hope that a real president lies underneath the pompous exterior shell of Donald Trump, he does or says something dumb to throw all that out the window.

Despite the completely bumbled process of taking care of this pandemic, his last few updates haven't been THAT bad (at least what we normally expect of him). It's a shame, because I think he does have the capability to be a reasonable president, but he derails that by letting his huge ego get in the way time and time again.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
When your primary goal is to look good, you spend all your effort looking good. If your primary effort is to do good, you spend all your time doing good.

We should be trying to do the right thing, not trying to look good. Politics aside, we should be working to just stop this things in its tracks. It is sad that our governments, local, state, and federal - are having to require people to do things because people are so unwilling to follow the direction of those who know better.

I think the erosion of our trust in politicians, leaders, and experts is a factor that has made this much worse. If we had strong leadership, leadership that didn't care if they weren't re-elected, we would have seen stronger effort from the start.

The States who aren't doing anything are looking really foolish now. The States that are leading, don't look so stupid now.

Leadership isn't about doing what looks good. It is about doing what is good.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^Seven states that have not implemented statewide mandates - such as school, group gatherings, limiting bars & restaurants:

Texas
Tennessee
Mississippi
Idaho
Wyoming
Oklahoma
Missouri

DVD

Cyburbian
Love how they side with the pres on calling it the Wuhan Virus and not Covid or Corona. Gotta blame it on someone.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Love how they side with the pres on calling it the Wuhan Virus and not Covid or Corona. Gotta blame it on someone.
I don't understand for the life of me why it matters where it came from. At this point, shouldn't we just want it to be gone? Why in the world do we want to spend time blaming anyone? Maybe wait until after we are done with the life and economic costs before you make it about some stupid point. Ugh.

AG74683

Cyburbian
NC's Lt. Gov. Dan Forrest (a republican) just publicly ripped the Gov. Roy Cooper's (a democrat) decision to close restaurants for dine-in service. Complained it wasn't right and will hurt small businesses.

ALSO...Lt. Gov. Forrest and Gov. Cooper will square off against each other in the general election for Gov. this November. It has already been noted that the Lt. Gov is turning this into an election issue.
I was definitely concerned that Cooper's orders would ultimately cost him the election, even though they were absolutely the right decisions to make. That being said, at least around here (which is Trump/GOP cult county), the general response has been positive to it. An "it is what it is" situation. I don't think it'll do as much damage as I thought.

The major issue right now is a lack of clear communication from DHHS to local enforcement departments. They go one way and then hours later decided to go in a different direction. It's causing a lot of issues.

Planit

Cyburbian
So our good Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) sold a bunch of stock after an intel briefing on COVID19 & before stocks tanked (as well as a couple others). Good Job! :mad:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So... can someone explain why the Democrats voted to block the stimulus bill?
Long story short - Democrats think the bill should support people, and Republicans think it should support businesses.

"Democrats have argued that the bill is disproportionately tilted towards helping companies and needs to extend more benefits to families and health care providers, while Republicans have countered that the bill offers unprecedented financial assistance to the entire economy and needs to be passed before more people lose their jobs. "

AG74683

Cyburbian
So... can someone explain why the Democrats voted to block the stimulus bill?
Because Republicans repeatedly try and cram it full of shit that has no business being in a stimulus bill and as usual attempt to make the bill largely a business bailout rather than assisting people who really need it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^^^ They blocked a procedural vote, not the actual bill. But semantics aside, I think it boiled down to the language as currently written gives the vast majority of the funds over to the Secretary of Treasury with no Congressional oversight.

DVD

Cyburbian
Because the bill went from let's give the people some extra cash so the economy and the people won't suffer to... Let's just give people a cash rebate on their taxes to... The best way to help the economy is to just give it to the big businesses instead of people and small businesses.