• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
He isn't noble enough to win a nobel

definition of noble
possessing outstanding qualities
possessing very high or excellent qualities
possessing, characterized by, or arising from superiority of mind or character or of ideals or morals

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Planit

Cyburbian
Who is the single person responsible for these ideas?

Rake the forest (to mitigate wildfires)
Water bomb Notre Dame (to put out the fire)
Nuke a hurricane (to lessen intensity)
Inject disinfectant (to cure disease)

Is it...
A. Alfred Nobel (chemist, engineer & industrialist)
B. Jim Cantore (meteorologist, storm tracker/chaser)
C. Donald J, tRump (stable genius)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What are your thoughts on the sexual assault allegation against Joe Biden? Also do you think that the Democrats will take a page form 1968 and nominate Andrew Como? In the past he has indicated that he would not run, but there also appears to be an increasing pressure from some people to get him to run. More so, do you think he would beat Trump?

Regardless, I think that COVID-19 is destroying Trump's chances of getting reelected. He is trying to use this to position himself as the person who saved the country... but there are so many people out there that are finally seeing Trump for who he is.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Who is the single person responsible for these ideas?

Rake the forest (to mitigate wildfires)
Water bomb Notre Dame (to put out the fire)
Nuke a hurricane (to lessen intensity)
Inject disinfectant (to cure disease)

Is it...
A. Alfred Nobel (chemist, engineer & industrialist)
B. Jim Cantore (meteorologist, storm tracker/chaser)
C. Donald J, tRump (stable genius)
D. George W. Bush (recovered alcoholic, former MLB owner...something else...)

meme_ferrell-bush.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
What are your thoughts on the sexual assault allegation against Joe Biden? Also do you think that the Democrats will take a page form 1968 and nominate Andrew Como? In the past he has indicated that he would not run, but there also appears to be an increasing pressure from some people to get him to run. More so, do you think he would beat Trump?

Regardless, I think that COVID-19 is destroying Trump's chances of getting reelected. He is trying to use this to position himself as the person who saved the country... but there are so many people out there that are finally seeing Trump for who he is.

The allegation is not something new, plus with tRump & his SCOTUS nominee having the same if not more baggage, it should be a non-issue. Think of when Al Franken got called out and he resigned. Then in hindsight many people said maybe he shouldn't have resigned.

Andrew Cuomo has baggage of his own & would be better if he was going to leave NYC, he should be one of Biden's cabinet picks.

Yes the emperor has no clothes & damn I hope he's digging his own grave, but Teflon Don scares me (& if he does get defeated, he won't be going away. He might not occupy 1600 anymore, but he won't go away).

DVD

Cyburbian
And now some idiot in Kansas drank bleach or something and the response from the Pres. It's not my fault.

So now there are 2 stories about the Pres recommending stuff and idiots doing it (don't forget the fish tank cleaner) and both stories happened in states live or lived in.

What's Up with That?

1588102165672.png

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

All sexual allegations should be taken seriously. With that said, if we were to take allegations into account, at this point there shouldn't be a candidate on either side if allegations are true.

I think it would be difficult for Trump to push that this is an issue, when clearly he is well known for having this scenario occur to him multiple times.

Again, we shouldn't downplay the potential issues, but it feels a bit like they are grasping over at Fox News. Axios, which is clearly left leaning had a timeline that shows her story... https://www.axios.com/timeline-tara...ons-6b98958f-4a78-4b28-8ca8-783285a5ce9c.html

It is an issue. It is not the only issue.

I wish we didn't have to have 70 year old guys as our candidates. Unfortuntately we do. Pete Buttigieg wouldn't have had this problem....

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Because gay people don't sexually assault anyone?
No, because he doesn't have that baggage. And he isn't old, which means he has had less time to have that baggage.... yikes, that was an assumption?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I may get a demerit on my social Democrat report card for saying this, but ...

A house at the end of our street has a Trump/Pence sign in the yard. Respect. It takes huevos avestruz to display a Trump sign in a precinct where Hillary Clinton got 74% of the vote, in a community whose name is often prefixed by "People's Republic of". Four years ago, I saw way more signs for Jill Stein than for Trump.

74% Clinton is deep red in comparison to much of the surrounding area. Like this precinct.

stein.png

A few doors down, there's a sign for a very liberal candidate for the state Assembly. The candidate is an anti-vaxxer, and says that being a South Asian "woman of color" makes her especially qualified for the office. The sign is in a yard that's usually unmowed, with an old mini-truck on the lawn, in front of a house whose occupant has a dog that "doesn't like men". Yes, she emphasizes the word "men" when she tells people about her dog. I'd sooner vote for a M16 rifle than an anti-vaxxer.

vote_for_gun.jpg

Veloise

Cyburbian
For some reason my state lege was called back yesterday. They have no agenda items.
My state rep (a RL friend) posted that she's having glasses fogging issues. A bunch of helpful comments arose: toupee tape, clean the lenses with shaving cream, etc.
I suggested a nose piece from my handy front porch pick-up station, and then I offered to make her a mask that would shut down that whole Confederate flag thing for good.

IMG_20200428_204645737.jpg

She offered payment. I said she needs to bring that fool's rebel flag back here so we can fricassee it in a backyard ... but not mine as my lot is of unsufficient width to all ow a fire pit. So she'll dig up some daffodil bulbs instead.

wearing it!

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Veloise

Cyburbian
I will confess to sending this video artist a link to the Getty Images, and another parody video.

DVD

Cyburbian
I believe there is some law or something about not protesting a person's house.

DVD

Cyburbian
So the pres came to visit our Honeywell factory making masks. The local radio station is having a great time with this because you can hear them in one of the videos. Even better, the song they were playing was Live and Let Die.

Planit

Cyburbian
Raise your hands - who thinks its a good idea to disband the White House COVID19 Task Force?

Anyone?
Anyone?
Bueller?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Raise your hands - who thinks its a good idea to disband the White House COVID19 Task Force?

Anyone?
Anyone?
Bueller?
That was fake news. Today it is back for the foreseeable future.... because, you know everyone thought that was a terrible idea....

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
That task force is a joke anyway--maybe 3-4 of them are worth a damn. The rest haven't done shit or have made things worse.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
If you're keeping score, documented COVID deaths in the U.S. have surpassed total deaths of U.S. service members in Vietnam. Vietnam took 19 years to reach that total. COVID has done it in a couple of months.

Oh, and COVID daily death toll in the U.S. is now expected to exceed the 9/11 death toll.

I tell ya... I'm overwhelmed by all of this winning and success by Heir Cheeto.

Planit

Cyburbian
"Each person must live their life as a MODEL for others."

- Rosa Parks

Unfortunately, some models are better than others and some are looking at tRump as their model.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Pro tip: if you are requesting dozens of masks for your social service agency's clients, send all the T-Y notes you want. But don't make assumptions about the volunteers who purchased, cut, sewed, delivered the finished product.

I sent her an email with a link to the exact wording in the pertinent executive order.

senior neighbors demand redacted.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
SURPRIZE!!!

The Justice Department on Thursday dropped charges against Michael Flynn, the former national security adviser to President Donald Trump who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russia. In a court filing, Trump-appointed U.S. Attorney Timothy Shea said that even if Flynn lied, his lies were irrelevant to the FBI’s counterintelligence probe into his communications with Russia before Trump took office.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Highlight of my day
In the cited group, we started discussing the two sign interpreters who work with the gov and staff

anger translator.png anger translator 2.png

Planit

Cyburbian
So tRump evidently DID wear a face mask at the Honeywell plant trip in Arizona. He just wore it "BACKSTAGE" & took it off when the cameras came around.

From CNN:
But he insisted Wednesday that he did, in fact, wear a mask during his Arizona visit -- but not when the cameras were around.
"I had a mask on for a period of time," Trump said in the Oval Office on Wednesday. "I had it on back -- backstage. But they said you didn't need it, so, I didn't need it. And by the way, if you noticed, nobody else had it on that was in the group."

To use the term "backstage" should confirm to everyone this administration is a total reality shitshow.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I would love to see this clusterf**k AG Barr withdrawing charges against Flynn blow up in the DOJs face. Either Flynn lied to the FBI, or he perjured himself to Judge Sullivan? This is rich.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Screenshot from the latest protest. I appreciate the TV station's subtle editorializing.

protestors.png

MSP released a video explaining some of what could be expected.
"You're gonna see a lot of police presence. You're gonna see troopers, we're gonna be walking around on the grounds. You're gonna see some of us on bicycles. If you're lucky enough, you might even see a K-9 or two.
You're also going to see a lot of our vehicles, one might be the mobile command center. We also might have a couple of different vehicles that might be here to ... help us to create the safe environment which we want."

I think the "different vehicles" refers to paddy wagons. Was tempted to kit up in my Federal blue, with a 34-star flag face mask, and go hang out by that artillery piece. But I don't like wearing wet wool.

MSP cannon.jpg

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Richard Burr is likely guilty. I don't believe he would have stepped down if he didn't think they would get him on something.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Richard Burr is likely guilty. I don't believe he would have stepped down if he didn't think they would get him on something.
Good riddance. I suspect this is a first step, he will resign as a senator by the end of next week. He is garbage. Thom Tillis too. We have two of the worst senators in the entire country IMO.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm completely astounded that the barbershop in Michigan that has the "armed militia" to keep the police away from enforcing the governor's orders is not getting more outcry. I don't normally offer these kinds of opinions but you know damn well if those armed people were black, conservatives would be up in arms and saying "lock them up" and "shoot them". It's the same folks who had signs that said "my body, my choice" about the lockdown. The hypocrisy is mind-boggling.

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I'm completely astounded that the barbershop in Michigan that has the "armed militia" to keep the police away from enforcing the governor's orders is not getting more outcry. I don't normally offer these kinds of opinions but you know damn well if those armed people were black conservatives would be up in arms and saying "lock them up" and "shoot them". It's the same folks who had signs that said "my body, y choice" about the lockdown. The hypocrisy is mind-boggling.
The hypocrisy of this "my body, my choice" thing for lockdown protesters is that these are the same people who will scream "MURDERER!" if a woman was to hold that same sign for abortion rights.

Planit

Cyburbian
So I understand now tRump announced the US Space Force has a new weapon that flies 17x faster than anything we have now.

He called it "the Super Duper Missile".

(can’t make this $h!t up)

TOFB

Cyburbian
My only disappointment in Pres. Obama's speech last night is that he didn't speak long enough.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Obama Graduation Speech my highlights

All those adults that you used to think were in charge and knew what they were doing? Turns out that they don’t have all the answers. A lot of them aren’t even asking the right questions.

Doing what feels good, what’s convenient, what’s easy — that’s how little kids think. Unfortunately, a lot of so-called grown-ups, including some with fancy titles and important jobs, still think that way — which is why things are so screwed up.