• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Doohickie

Cyburbian
He actually wore a mask!!!!!

(It was @ Walter Reed)
I have a feeling he's feeling the pinch and realizing his fiats are not popular. Look for a remake of his handling of Covid, BLM and immigration. He said he'd sign an executive order to provide a path to citizenship for DACA dreamers. (My wife calls BS on that.... what can be done be EO can be rescinded by EO.) But I think he's figuring out that he needs to pander to a bigger audience that racists and conservative Christians.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I have a feeling he's feeling the pinch and realizing his fiats are not popular. Look for a remake of his handling of Covid, BLM and immigration. He said he'd sign an executive order to provide a path to citizenship for DACA dreamers. (My wife calls BS on that.... what can be done be EO can be rescinded by EO.) But I think he's figuring out that he needs to pander to a bigger audience that racists and conservative Christians.
But he won't. He is digging in. Trenching in. At this rate, Biden needs to stay in the basement and let Trump dig his own hole.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
You have to admit the ad for re-election for the President that is running that portrays what happens when the police are de-funded is effective. Right or wrong, accurate or not it's powerful and emphasizes a basic concern of many people.

DVD

Cyburbian
It is a powerful ad, but really just to the gullible people who can't see through the lies. At the same time, "defund the police" is about the stupidest tag line I've ever heard. Just make it easy to rile up the base why don't you. Just call for police reform. If that happens to include budget reallocation then whatever.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I agree with you 100%. But it's an effective ad. Most politicians aren't really as interested in solving a problem as they are in keeping their phony baloney jobs. It's much easier to tell people what's wrong, why you should be scared and who's to blame for it.

estromberg

Cyburbian
You have to admit the ad for re-election for the President that is running that portrays what happens when the police are de-funded is effective. Right or wrong, accurate or not it's powerful and emphasizes a basic concern of many people.
However, the irony that the ad showing what will happen in "Biden's America" uses actual footage from "Trump's America." Delicious.

DVD

Cyburbian
DVD's wish for political advertising. If all politicians would use their advertising budget and donate even a portion to a good charity we would have a cure for cancer in no time.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
DVD's wish for political advertising. If all politicians would use their advertising budget and donate even a portion to a good charity we would have a cure for cancer in no time.
Yeah, but why do that when you can spend billions to seed discontent, fear, and chaos. This is all from the Gingrich playbook.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
Hell, even if all we did was take the money from those littering signs on the corner. The only thing they say is vote for John because his sign is red and white and there's family next to him instead of voting for Jane with the green and yellow sign and a picture of a lady with a Karen haircut. Just that money could maybe feed the hungry in the city.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
We’re bringing back consumer choice in home appliances so that you can buy washers and dryers, showerheads and faucets. So showerheads — you take a shower, the water doesn’t come out. You want to wash your hands, the water doesn’t come out. So what do you do? You just stand there longer or you take a shower longer? Because my hair — I don’t know about you, but it has to be perfect. Perfect.

Do you have the right showerhead to make your hair perfect ?

Planit

Cyburbian
Do you have the right showerhead to make your hair perfect ?
This - right here folks - is a national emergency! It is vastly more important than any foreign affairs (like Russia & Turkey developing a joint military base in Libya) or domestic affairs (something called COVID19).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Why are we as a nation willing to choose between Trump or Biden... COME ON, can't we do better than one of these two? Sure, Biden will be better then Trump, but it is like choosing between peeing on an electric fence or sicking a fork in a light socket. Neither is going to be pleasant.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm planning to contact my Fed rep and senators after these horrible stories about Fed police violating the rule of law grabbing people off the streets of Portland. I'm not typically an activist type but this is totalitarian behavior and unacceptable.

Why are we as a nation willing to choose between Trump or Biden... COME ON, can't we do better than one of these two? Sure, Biden will be better then Trump, but it is like choosing between peeing on an electric fence or sicking a fork in a light socket. Neither is going to be pleasant.
I understand where you're coming from, but you need to get over it. This is the reality of the current political system.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I'm planning to contact my Fed rep and senators after these horrible stories about Fed police violating the rule of law grabbing people off the streets of Portland. I'm not typically an activist type but this is totalitarian behavior and unacceptable.

I understand where you're owing from, but you need to get over it. This is the reality of the current political system.
I could deal with it if there were two, or even one, acceptable candidate. If there was a way to do it, I would get back involved with politics and run for office. The best way to change the system is from the inside, to stand up and lead the people. But my position with my current employer would prevent me from running for office. Instead I had a great conversation with a friend of mine that is on the local City Council. He plans to run for Mayor and I am trying to encourage him to keep going, but I don't think he will.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thanks to Donald Trump's Roger Stone shenanigans and @DVD, I've now got some Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly! Now I just need to figure out what to put it on. I'll have to get some pork chops next time I go to the store and use this as a glaze on the grill and maybe some angel food cake with prickly pear jelly as a desert-flavored dessert.

Next time I get to the store, I'll also get some local equivalent to send out your way and return the favor!

DVD

Cyburbian
Just make sure to share with the kids. You know if they don't get any you will pay for it sometime. You won't know when, but they'll make you pay.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
This is unbelievable!

A man, standing still, wearing a NAVY shirt is beaten and pepper sprayed.

These federal cops, deployed without identifying insignia and in unmarked vehicles, are probably the lowest Trump and his enablers have sunk. This reeks of Soviet era Russia, IMO.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
These federal cops, deployed without identifying insignia and in unmarked vehicles, are probably the lowest Trump and his enablers have sunk. This reeks of Soviet era Russia, IMO.
Prediction: that video clip will become the 'Tiananmen square' photo equivalent for 2020.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"

AG74683

Cyburbian
I simply do not understand today's Republicans.

So they're mad at people like Colin Kaepernick because he chose to use his freedom of speech to kneel during the national anthem. A completely non-violent, silent protest that doesn't hurt a soul. But they're also mad at the mask mandates because they feel that a mask unfairly limits their freedom of speech., something which we know certifiably causes harm to those around you and absolutely contributes to the spread of an incredibly contagious virus. So which is it? Kaepernick cannot kneel and exercise HIS right because you don't like it, but the moment you feel like something infringes on yours, suddenly there's an issue? And when they're punished for it (I.E. banned from restaurants, stores, or offices) somehow the punisher is in the wrong, which is something they all did to Kaepernick and in their minds were completely justified for it?

DVD

Cyburbian
I read an editorial in my local paper about how it insults veterans to kneel on the flag or do other things with the flag (hugging it was not mentioned). Most vets I know would think saying that is an insult to vets. Vets fought for the constitution and rights we have. I may not like it when someone disgraces the flag, but it makes me proud to have served and given that person the right to kneel on the flag, burn the flag or even hug the flag.

What insults me as a person who loves the flag is the over use of the flag. I might be a little European in this attitude, but your national flag should only be displayed on government buildings or memorials or other really important places. I hate seeing it on your truck or at your car dealership. I don't even like seeing it at your house. I'm good with the service flags or POW flags, but I don't need to see it at your house. Maybe for special occasions like the 4th or Flag Day, but that's it. Am I going to do something about it, nope, you have that right.

What I really think is disrespectful to the flag is co opting it for your own use. Blue flags that support police, that isn't old glory, you bastardized it. Make a police flag. US patterned flags supporting your favorite ball team (saw blue Royals flags with the logo in the ensign. Just fly a team flag. I tend to think the people complaining most about disgracing the flag are the ones disgracing it by doing these things. More importantly there is no protest or reason for flying these flags. Just saying I'm more patriotic or support causes.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
^^It's pretty hard to go anywhere in Denmark and not see the Danish flag. I mean, they make paper pennants that everyone strings on their Christmas trees, for crying out loud.

But I completely agree with your idea - our flag has been co-opted by a group as their symbol and you have to abide their rules for it. My veteran father just thought burning the flag was a sign of someone's immaturity. Don't get me started on the red line/blue line flags ... grrr.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I read an editorial in my local paper about how it insults veterans to kneel on the flag or do other things with the flag (hugging it was not mentioned). Most vets I know would think saying that is an insult to vets. Vets fought for the constitution and rights we have. I may not like it when someone disgraces the flag, but it makes me proud to have served and given that person the right to kneel on the flag, burn the flag or even hug the flag.

What insults me as a person who loves the flag is the over use of the flag. I might be a little European in this attitude, but your national flag should only be displayed on government buildings or memorials or other really important places. I hate seeing it on your truck or at your car dealership. I don't even like seeing it at your house. I'm good with the service flags or POW flags, but I don't need to see it at your house. Maybe for special occasions like the 4th or Flag Day, but that's it. Am I going to do something about it, nope, you have that right.

What I really think is disrespectful to the flag is co opting it for your own use. Blue flags that support police, that isn't old glory, you bastardized it. Make a police flag. US patterned flags supporting your favorite ball team (saw blue Royals flags with the logo in the ensign. Just fly a team flag. I tend to think the people complaining most about disgracing the flag are the ones disgracing it by doing these things. More importantly there is no protest or reason for flying these flags. Just saying I'm more patriotic or support causes.
Now that is interesting because there are several people in my neighborhood who put up variations of Black Lives Matter flags over the past few weeks. However, today we received an e-mail blast from the HOA informing them that the only flags that are permissible is the American Flag or the State Flag in accordance with the HOA docs. It will be interesting to see how this one shakes out.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have no issue with BLM flags or rainbow flags or team flags, or stupid flower garden flags. Hang whatever you want. I just don't like when you use the stars and stripes change the color and than place your own symbol on it. I also have a problem with Trump flags. Not because it's Trump (okay that does make it distasteful), but because it's a political candidate flag. I wouldn't want to see a Biden flag flying from your house either. I think it's because people fly that flag to say their right and if you disagree you're wrong. It's like a rally flag to stupidity regardless of the candidate. I just find the idea of political candidate flags horrible. As if the signs weren't bad enough.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

My oldest sister used to like to post things on Facebook about Kap or the flag and how they're disrespecting the veterans so I'd usually chime in that I'm an actual veteran and never felt disrespected by their actions. As long as you're not wrapping the flag around a bunch of rolls of nickels and beating me with it, I really don't care what you do with it. That said, if you are one of those people who like to hold up the flag to show how much more patriotic you are than somebody else, if I see you doing something that is not in accordance with Title 4, Chapter 1, section 8 I'm more than happy to call you out on it.

I will add that I'd wager that about 95% of the people who invoke that something "disrespects the veterans" have never worn a uniform and have next to no idea how actual veterans actually feel.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have no issue with BLM flags or rainbow flags or team flags, or stupid flower garden flags. Hang whatever you want. I just don't like when you use the stars and stripes change the color and than place your own symbol on it. I also have a problem with Trump flags. Not because it's Trump (okay that does make it distasteful), but because it's a political candidate flag. I wouldn't want to see a Biden flag flying from your house either. I think it's because people fly that flag to say their right and if you disagree you're wrong. It's like a rally flag to stupidity regardless of the candidate. I just find the idea of political candidate flags horrible. As if the signs weren't bad enough.
I agree... We have an official American Flag that is properly hung, including having up-lighting for nighttime display.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Now that is interesting because there are several people in my neighborhood who put up variations of Black Lives Matter flags over the past few weeks. However, today we received an e-mail blast from the HOA informing them that the only flags that are permissible is the American Flag or the State Flag in accordance with the HOA docs. It will be interesting to see how this one shakes out.
Oof. I'd really like to see how that one plays out in court. I bet the ACLU would love to take on that lawsuit.

Planit

Cyburbian

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Oof. I'd really like to see how that one plays out in court. I bet the ACLU would love to take on that lawsuit.
I think there have been numerous cases (not at the Supreme Court level though) that have reaffirmed the ability of HOAs to regulate what types of flags can and cannot fly in their neighborhoods.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think there have been numerous cases (not at the Supreme Court level though) that have reaffirmed the ability of HOAs to regulate what types of flags can and cannot fly in their neighborhoods.
Interesting, it does appear that the only federally protected flag is the US Flag. HOA's can still regulate the size, location, time it's being flown, etc. Yet another reason why HOA neighborhoods are not for me.

bureaucrat#3

I've been wondering if there was language in any of the bills that ban single-family zoning which try to override HOA's, covenants or deed restrictions. Here most of the documents I see limit the number of units to one single-family home. If we opened up our single-family districts, I think I'd see a bunch of new HOA's being created to privately limit duplexes and ADU's.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It has been odd to hear the Biden is going to rezone properties and reduce the ability of suburban housewives to get single family zoning.

When did zoning go political mainstream? :roflmao:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I can tell you I would never vote for a candidate who made it their mission to outlaw single-family zoning.
I agree. It isn't feasible for suburban areas to consider no single family zoning districts. Maybe in dense cities, but certainly not for the majority of outer ring or more rural suburbs. I'm not sure any candidate is making it their mission though...

The fact that Trump is trying to use zoning as political points is humorous to me though, as most people don't care about that kind of inside baseball.

I will say that a lot of planning minds are pushing for the abolishment of single family zoning though. Like Chuck Marohn.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My former Zoning Administrator in another community had a great take on the 'abuse' of red white and blue at car dealerships.

He said it is only a flag if a Veteran salutes it.