• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I can tell you I would never vote for a candidate who made it their mission to outlaw single-family zoning.
The community I work for allows at least a duplex everywhere residential is allowed, and the sky has not fallen. But I'm amazed to see just how vast the swaths of "nothing but single-family" are in bigger places.

I think that rather than go after single-family zoning, we should start thinking about how much of that single-family isn't walkable to anything else but more single-family.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I think that rather than go after single-family zoning, we should start thinking about how much of that single-family isn't walkable to anything else but more single-family.
I get into this argument peripherally whenever the subject of sidewalks in single family neighborhoods comes up.....okay, so you want sidewalks, WHERE do they lead to? Do they go to the post office? the grocery store? The park? The central business district? No? Seems like this one serves as little more than a place to take dogs out to potty in the neighborhood.

Planit

Cyburbian

"He's got this high approval rating. So why don't I have a high approval rating ... with respect to the virus? We should have it very high," the President griped.
"So it sort of is curious," Trump said, "a man works for us, with us, very closely, Dr. Fauci and Dr. (Deborah) Birx also, very highly thought of -- and yet, they're highly thought of, but nobody likes me?"
"It can only be my personality, that's all," he said.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
"It can only be my personality, that's all," he said.
Well, there is that. There's also the fact Dr. Fauci doesn't casually ponder whether Americans should ingest bleach to treat coronavirus or repost links from doctors who claim to have found a 'cure' (that incidentally, also claims the government is run by alien reptiles and magic 8 ball toys introduce children to evil spirits)

Note, when FB removed this "doctor's" posts, she responded:
"Hello Facebook put back my profile page and videos up or your computers with start crashing till you do. You are not bigger that God. I promise you. If my page is not back up face book will be down in Jesus name."

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, there is that. There's also the fact Dr. Fauci doesn't casually ponder whether Americans should ingest bleach to treat coronavirus or repost links from doctors who claim to have found a 'cure' (that incidentally, also claims the government is run by alien reptiles and magic 8 ball toys introduce children to evil spirits)

Note, when FB removed this "doctor's" posts, she responded:
"Hello Facebook put back my profile page and videos up or your computers with start crashing till you do. You are not bigger that God. I promise you. If my page is not back up face book will be down in Jesus name."
Wow, I don't really know how to respond to that other than WOW. The part that concerns me is the reporting to the CDC had one case trajectory, but that shifted dramatically once the reporting to the Health and Human Services took over.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So Trump tweets this:

" I am happy to inform all of the people living their Suburban Lifestyle Dream that you will no longer be bothered or financially hurt by having low income housing built in your neighborhood... Your housing prices will go up based on the market, and crime will go down. I have rescinded the Obama-Biden AFFH Rule. Enjoy! "

Suburban Lifestyle Dream? Is that why people don't live in the city center? Crime down, market up. Got it...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, I don't really know how to respond to that other than WOW. The part that concerns me is the reporting to the CDC had one case trajectory, but that shifted dramatically once the reporting to the Health and Human Services took over.
Dr. Jeff Hester (astrophysicist) posted about this on Facebook and made a good Youtube video explaining his analysis of the data trends before and after reporting shifted from CDC to HHS. He is not a crackpot.

DVD

Cyburbian
I understand about statistics and damn lies, but now that numbers are going to the white house how can I trust what is being said? They won't release the raw data to anyone. Makes me think you're hiding something.

DVD

Cyburbian
Someone call the Yankees and let them know I'm not available to throw out the first pitch at the next few games, but I'm honored they thought of me.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Pushing back the election you say? Well why would we do that?

I honestly didn't think he was willing to go that far off the deep end. I stand corrected. I am sure he was just "joking" like a guy does.

"With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history," Trump tweeted. "It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???"

Planit

Cyburbian
Herman Cain has died from COVID 19. Maybe that'll wake some people up.
Cain was admitted to an Atlanta-area hospital on July 1, 2020 for treatment of COVID-19, two days after he was told he tested positive for the virus. His staff said there was no way to be certain where or in what way he contracted the disease. He had attended a Trump rally in Tulsa 12 days earlier without wearing a mask or socially distancing. Earlier on the same day he went to the hospital, Cain praised South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem for not requiring masks at an upcoming Trump campaign event, saying "Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump. PEOPLE ARE FED UP!" Four weeks later, he was still hospitalized and being treated with oxygen. On July 30, 2020, news media and Cain's Twitter account announced that Cain had died.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So, here is a scary but likely situation. What happens if Trump does no accept the results of the election in the event (and likely I pray) that he loses? I say scary because I fear that his ego will exceed his fortune and he will be willing to go broke in attorney fees fighting this.

Will he get ousted by his party?

In a similar context, what happens if he makes an executive decision to delay the election (which he does not have the constitutional authority to do)? I ask only because he does not seem to care about the laws and rules that divide up the power in DC.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^There's a process in place if he does resist leaving. CNN has covered this a few times. He'll whine & cry. He'll file a lawsuit along with RNC but it'll get thrown out. Things will move on while the appeals go on. He'll tweet same outlandish stuff he did before he was elected and since he's been in office.

Funny thing is several Republicans in the House & Senate have said there will be no delay in the election (at least today). Who knows what Moscow Bitch McConnell will do.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm wondering whether there won't be an escalation into violence, when Trump loses.

AG74683

Cyburbian
^^^There's a process in place if he does resist leaving. CNN has covered this a few times. He'll whine & cry. He'll file a lawsuit along with RNC but it'll get thrown out. Things will move on while the appeals go on. He'll tweet same outlandish stuff he did before he was elected and since he's been in office.

Funny thing is several Republicans in the House & Senate have said there will be no delay in the election (at least today). Who knows what Moscow Bitch McConnell will do.

I honestly don't believe the Republican party would survive Trump refusing to leave office. It'll shatter it into several different groups, there's already a trend of anti-Trump GOP coalitions starting to pop up.

Regardless of the outcome of this election, the national divide between the two parties will just continue to widen.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I'm wondering whether there won't be an escalation into violence, when Trump loses.
Well, that depends....

In reality, I don't think there will be. Yes, there will be people who will grumble and whine, but I don't think there will be an escalation. But there is not enough people in rural areas for an escalation of violence.

I do think that there will be an escalation into violence and rioting if he wins, especially in dense urban areas.

On the other hand, if you believe the Political Adds, Biden's refunding of the police will result in a fully anarchist society. (That won't happen, but unfortunately, I worry that the fear-mongering might sway some votes.)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
This election is going to be much like the last one which basically came down to about 100,000 people across five states. This could have been a slam dunk for the D's but Biden is just not an exciting candidate and the Democratic party is so splintered that I will not be at all surprised if the president serves another term.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
This election is going to be much like the last one which basically came down to about 100,000 people across five states. This could have been a slam dunk for the D's but Biden is just not an exciting candidate and the Democratic party is so splintered that I will not be at all surprised if the president serves another term.
It may not be what people who really want Biden to win want to hear (most are scared to say it because then it won't happen), but I think Biden is going to win by a clear margin. My guess at this point is 334-204. He gets Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn, NC, Arizona, and Florida. Trump keeps Texas.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've heard a number of conservative political commentators claim Trump is coming into this election with a lot more enthusiasm for him than Biden. While this might be true of Republicans, I think it ignores how widely reviled and deeply committed the opposition to Trump is. This is reflected not only in polls but also in the momentum of grass roots fundraising. Trump eked by with a scant electoral win in 2016 and has done nothing to grow his base during the last three and a half years. The 2020 election is a referendum on Trump. Voters don't have to be enthusiastic or even particularly like the decidedly bland Biden, but simply hate Trump more. If the 2018 midterms, Trumps polling numbers on his covid response, and how he has handled the BLM protests are any guide, the fires are burning hot.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well that's certainly true. I couldn't care less about Joe Biden, but I am very enthusiastic over the fact that Trump may not be President anymore.
This is how Trump got elected. No one liked Trump but they hated Hillary. No one likes Creepy Uncle Joe and Trump has alienated many of the swing voters.

Here is my rundown:
Trump will win TX, AZ, and maybe even OH.
Biden will take MI, WI, PA, NC, GA, and FL for the win.

I am going to toss this out there right now since we have less than 100 days to put in our guesses.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've heard a number of conservative political commentators claim Trump is coming into this election with a lot more enthusiasm for him than Biden. While this might be true of Republicans, I think it ignores how widely reviled and deeply committed the opposition to Trump is. This is reflected not only in polls but also in the momentum of grass roots fundraising. Trump eked by with a scant electoral win in 2016 and has done nothing to grow his base during the last three and a half years. The 2020 election is a referendum on Trump. Voters don't have to be enthusiastic or even particularly like the decidedly bland Biden, but simply hate Trump more. If the 2018 midterms, Trumps polling numbers on his covid response, and how he has handled the BLM protests are any guide, the fires are burning hot.

I don't think there is any debate that Trump's supporters are much more enthusiastic for their candidate than Biden supporters are for theirs. However, Trump has only succeeding in alienating many of the people who voted for him in 2016 and driven them to the Dems (especially in the suburbs and sprawlland) so he's working with a much smaller base this time around.

I have to imagine that there is also a much larger contingent of voters who are enthusiastic to vote against Trump than there are who are excited to vote against Biden.

We drove out to the beach house this past weekend in solidly red St. Clair County and while I saw a handful of Trump signs I saw dozens of "Bye Don" signs, many at houses that simultaneously had signs for R candidates for state house races.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Anyone who's worked in government knows ways to make things happen, whether it's scheduling a public hearing for a cell tower while the nosy snowbirds are still gone, or asking a "question for staff: what are the parking requirements including compact cars?"

There are enough fed-up career bureaucrats in the federal government to make sure a peaceful transition does happen.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
This is how Trump got elected. No one liked Trump but they hated Hillary. No one likes Creepy Uncle Joe and Trump has alienated many of the swing voters.

Here is my rundown:
Trump will win TX, AZ, and maybe even OH.
Biden will take MI, WI, PA, NC, GA, and FL for the win.

I am going to toss this out there right now since we have less than 100 days to put in our guesses.

Pretty optimistic considering Trump and Moscow Mitch will start pulling out all the stops to sabotage the elections and millions mail in votes will mysteriously disappear. Expect the real Horrors to come in the next three months. You have not seen anything yet.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
election strategy now seems to be campaigning on the 'issue' that yes he's likely to lose the election.....but it's because of the massive corruption, foreign influence and election tampering that hasn't happened yet. What concerns me most about this gaslighting is whether he's doing it to be able to afterwards claim a face saving 'victory' somehow or does he truly have no plans to surrender power regardless of the outcome of the election. We should all be deeply concerned by the latter prospect.

Casting doubt on the validity of democratic elections is what Russia would do. It's what our enemies would do. Regardless the outcome of the election the country will emerge weaker for this attack on our democracy.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
election strategy now seems to be campaigning on the 'issue' that yes he's likely to lose the election.....but it's because of the massive corruption, foreign influence and election tampering that hasn't happened yet. What concerns me most about this gaslighting is whether he's doing it to be able to afterwards claim a face saving 'victory' somehow or does he truly have no plans to surrender power regardless of the outcome of the election. We should all be deeply concerned by the latter prospect.

Casting doubt on the validity of democratic elections is what Russia would do. It's what our enemies would do. Regardless the outcome of the election the country will emerge weaker for this attack on our democracy.
He's said the election will be rigged, but he's not saying which direction. Me thinks he knows something about rigging elections in his direction.

Planit

Cyburbian
While tRUMP demands public schools reopen, Barron's private school is online only learning until October.

Double standard - hypocrisy - seems about right.

tRUMP campaign is offering a signed edition of Sean Hannity's book for a $75 donation. Hannity stumped for tRUMP in 2016 & Fox News said he won't do that anymore. Hannity again stumped for tRUMP in 2018 & Fox News said he shouldn't do that. In 2020...yawn.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
While tRUMP demands public schools reopen, Barron's private school is online only learning until October.

Double standard - hypocrisy - seems about right.

tRUMP campaign is offering a signed edition of Sean Hannity's book for a $75 donation. Hannity stumped for tRUMP in 2016 & Fox News said he won't do that anymore. Hannity again stumped for tRUMP in 2018 & Fox News said he shouldn't do that. In 2020...yawn.
I think the problem with Fox is that they aren't clear enough that Hannity is just some opinion junk. I have no issue with him supporting Trump, but I do have issues with Fox News not being EXTREMELY clear, that he isn't spouting any news, just his opinion on the news.

Fair and Balanced is great, you just have to be clear who is actually doing that. Fox is really bad at this. I can't think of any other news agency that has such a muddy line between actual journalists who report information, and blowhard talking heads who are just out there to stir up people who aren't smart enough to look into information for themselves.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Trump tweets this:

" I am happy to inform all of the people living their Suburban Lifestyle Dream that you will no longer be bothered or financially hurt by having low income housing built in your neighborhood... Your housing prices will go up based on the market, and crime will go down. I have rescinded the Obama-Biden AFFH Rule. Enjoy! "

Suburban Lifestyle Dream? Is that why people don't live in the city center? Crime down, market up. Got it...
This is the second of a one-two punch in my world, the other being a rollback of the Equal Access Rule which provides protections to the LGBTQ+ community in the homeless shelter systems.

I have no such inclinations of following the AFFH rule and it will remain part of my scoring rubric although not called as such.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The community I work for allows at least a duplex everywhere residential is allowed, and the sky has not fallen. But I'm amazed to see just how vast the swaths of "nothing but single-family" are in bigger places.

I was thinking about this over the weekend, and while I am all about options, I know personally, I want to live in a single family detached residential dwelling on a lot with a bit of a yard. I have not always wanted this and I haven't always had this. A few years ago when we first moved down here we lived in an apartment for 18 months and hated it. We could hear the neighbors, someone set off the fire alarm one night, the people below us would pile their garbage on the balcony, and the people around us were anti-social.

I get into this argument peripherally whenever the subject of sidewalks in single family neighborhoods comes up.....okay, so you want sidewalks, WHERE do they lead to? Do they go to the post office? the grocery store? The park? The central business district? No? Seems like this one serves as little more than a place to take dogs out to potty in the neighborhood.
We require sidewalk connections for all new and redevelopment and we have been putting in sidewalks in missing sections. They do lead to everything you talked about, including the bar, the restaurant, and the department store.

Herman Cain has died from COVID 19. Maybe that'll wake some people up.
Cain was admitted to an Atlanta-area hospital on July 1, 2020 for treatment of COVID-19, two days after he was told he tested positive for the virus. His staff said there was no way to be certain where or in what way he contracted the disease. He had attended a Trump rally in Tulsa 12 days earlier without wearing a mask or socially distancing. Earlier on the same day he went to the hospital, Cain praised South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem for not requiring masks at an upcoming Trump campaign event, saying "Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump. PEOPLE ARE FED UP!" Four weeks later, he was still hospitalized and being treated with oxygen. On July 30, 2020, news media and Cain's Twitter account announced that Cain had died.
Inspired by Veloise last Friday, I started a thread on the circumstances of Herman Cain's death due to COVID-19:
Herman Cain, Who Refused to Wear a Mask, Died of Covid-19. (AIB: Veloise) Republican Ex-Presidential Candidate was 74.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Inspired by Veloise last Friday, I started a thread on the circumstances of Herman Cain's death due to COVID-19:
Herman Cain, Who Refused to Wear a Mask, Died of Covid-19. (AIB: Veloise) Republican Ex-Presidential Candidate was 74.
Moderator note:

The thread you are referencing has been deleted as it is horribly mean spirited and not consistent with Cyburbia's culture.

Death should never be wished on even your worst politic opposite and I strongly recommend we all attack the idea not the person as much as possible as has been one the fundamental ethoses of Cyburbia since the beginning..

Lastly, this neverending political discussion thread exists to contain most or all of the charged political discussions/statements in order to work to preserve the professionalism of the rest of the forum.

Thank you

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I was thinking about this over the weekend, and while I am all about options, I know personally, I want to live in a single family detached residential dwelling on a lot with a bit of a yard. I have not always wanted this and I haven't always had this. A few years ago when we first moved down here we lived in an apartment for 18 months and hated it. We could hear the neighbors, someone set off the fire alarm one night, the people below us would pile their garbage on the balcony, and the people around us were anti-social.
I too, have and want a house and a yard. I've lived in plenty of apartments and the things I have not had to deal with since buying a house are as follows:

-Scheming landlords holding back cleaning deposits they were not entitled to (one kept money for dust on the outside of a door sill- the entire apt. complex was across the road from an active gravel pit!)
-Neighbors having parties and friends over and parking me in so I couldn't get to work int he morning
-Neighbors smoking so I couldn't have windows open at night (summer; no a/c)
-Broken stuff landlords wouldn't let me fix, but also would not have fixed
-Neighbors who like to get up at 3 in the morning to bang nails for no good reason, landlords who wouldn't do anything about it
-Unreasonable rent increases coming out of nowhere

All of that said, I'd live in a row home with a little garden in the back in a cool city, given the chance.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, someone please explain to me why my fellow left-leaning folk are fanatic about "open borders" when it comes to the idea of undocumented aliens and visitors crossng the US/Mexico border, but get giddy at the idea of Canada closing itself off to Americans, period?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Okay, someone please explain to me why my fellow left-leaning folk are fanatic about "open borders" when it comes to the idea of undocumented aliens and visitors crossng the US/Mexico border, but get giddy at the idea of Canada closing itself off to Americans, period?
They don't want to have such a hard time finding parking at Costco on the weekends?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Moderator note:

The thread you are referencing has been deleted as it is horribly mean spirited and not consistent with Cyburbia's culture.

Death should never be wished on even your worst politic opposite and I strongly recommend we all attack the idea not the person as much as possible as has been one the fundamental ethoses of Cyburbia since the beginning..

Lastly, this neverending political discussion thread exists to contain most or all of the charged political discussions/statements in order to work to preserve the professionalism of the rest of the forum.

Thank you
I see your point but I really didn't take that thread as wishing death on anybody.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oh, you already know the answer. We're talking about tribalism here, not ideology. If the other side doesn't get their way it's a 'win'.

Moderator note:

Thank you
mendelman
I agree with everything you've written here.
I especially agree with what you wrote: "Death should never be wished on even your worst politic opposite and I strongly recommend we all attack the idea not the person as much as possible.."
You may have noticed on that thread: I only posted articles from publications, letting the facts speak for themselves.

When I read that Herman Cain had contracted COVID-19, I absolutely did not want him to die. I was hoping very much that he would live!
I believe that had he lived, he would have publicly told his survival story, thereby adding perspective to the corona virus pandemic.

At the end of last January I contracted COVID-19 when I was in a Queens, NYC hospital. For 10 weeks I was in extremely serious medical condition, and it took months of illness before I recovered. It was a truly hellish experience.

mendelman, I can say from first-hand experience, "I would not wish COVID-19 on my worst enemy." My apologies to you and to other people who may have misunderstood me.