• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
mendelman
I agree with everything you've written here.
I especially agree with what you wrote: "Death should never be wished on even your worst politic opposite and I strongly recommend we all attack the idea not the person as much as possible.."
You may have noticed on that thread: I only posted articles from publications, letting the facts speak for themselves.

When I read that Herman Cain had contracted COVID-19, I absolutely did not want him to die. I was hoping very much that he would live!
I believe that had he lived, he would have publicly told his survival story, thereby adding perspective to the corona virus pandemic.

At the end of last January I contracted COVID-19 when I was in a Queens, NYC hospital. For 10 weeks I was in extremely serious medical condition, and it took months of illness before I recovered. It was a truly hellish experience.

mendelman, I can say from first-hand experience, "I would not wish COVID-19 on my worst enemy." My apologies to you and to other people who may have misunderstood me.
Moderator note:

Understood and thank you for your frankness. Although your intentions and actions were even handed, such a thread can devolve quickly and easily create a negative perception of Cyburbia and harm the good value we bring and have brought to our little corner of the interwebs.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^On 150,000+ COVID19 deaths, tRUMP says...

It is what it is.

Let that sink in for a bit.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
^^^On 150,000+ COVID19 deaths, tRUMP says...

It is what it is.

Let that sink in for a bit.
Honestly, this is one of the most damning interviews I have ever seen. I mean it is really, really, really bad.

We need an upper limit on the Presidency. 35-65. I wonder if there is a petition for that.....

EDIT: I found these which are interesting:
https://bigthink.com/politics-curre...-run-for-president?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Can't watch it at work. Can someone point out some highlights for us?

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
If you have 37 minutes you should watch this....

The end. What do you think of john lewis?

" I really don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know John Lewis. He chose not to come to my inauguration"
Wherever you are politically, you have to respect a guy to get beat in the head for praying during a demonstration for civil right. Could have just said "he was a good dude" or "we had our differences, but he is a hero". Nope.

Planit

Cyburbian
And his smug grin off to the side at the end was so bad too, like he's indicating to someone off camera (Ivanka?) "I just nailed that!"

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The end. What do you think of john lewis?

Wherever you are politically, you have to respect a guy to get beat in the head for praying during a demonstration for civil right. Could have just said "he was a good dude" or "we had our differences, but he is a hero". Nope.
Are you really surprised? It ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS has to be about him.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian

I saw some clips just now on ABC news. It was about just as much as I can stand. God what a FUC*ING IDIOT. I can't believe his approval rating is rising and just won't go below 40%. His attempt to try and fudge the numbers with a couple so stupid charts made him look pathetic and a total a$$.
t

estromberg

Cyburbian

Trump's presidency has been truly enlightening. I think his support says much more about his supporters than it does about him. I look at so many people these days with just naked contempt. I literally feel like Mugatu in Zoolander. EVERY. DAMN. DAY.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You can't say COVID19 is safe enough we can reopen schools now and then say its still too dangerous to have an election 3 months away.
C'mon, the whole 'let's postpone the election' was textbook Trump misdirection intended to steal headlines the same day the disastrous jobs report was released. It mostly worked.

DVD

Cyburbian
My favorite part of the interview. Our numbers are lower than the world.

AG74683

Cyburbian
You can't say COVID19 is safe enough we can reopen schools now and then say its still too dangerous to have an election 3 months away.
My favorite part of that interview on AXIOS was when Trump alluded to the new scary threat of mail in voting. "We've had mail in voting since the Civil War..."

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So, who do you think Biden will pick as his Vice President? I ask in that context because I think it is to the point that too many people have given up on Trump for him to be a viable candidate. I predict you will see a blowout in terms of popular vote this fall. I can not fathom how anyone would vote for him after seeing that.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Susan Rice.
I think the R's are trying to sink that ship, which makes me think she is likely a good choice.

Precitit thinks Harris still. I don't see that happening. I am more of the belief he will go with Bass or Demings.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So, who do you think Biden will pick as his Vice President?
I still think it will be Harris. I was starting to think it was going to be Duckworth if not Harris but now I think maybe Bass.

I don't think it will be Rice because the Rs will start screaming about Benghazi again. I could see her being nominated to Secretary of State if Biden wins.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
What has changed? Most of the president's supporters are still his supporters. Yes, his actions have certainly alienated some but I think you could also say that there are a lot of "middle of the road" Democrats that have been becoming increasingly disenchanted with the far left agenda of many in their party. That's why I think a Democrat who is a veteran might be a smart choice as VP. The last election essentially came down to 100,000 people in 5 states like I said earlier. The only way the election is a blowout is if there is record turnout that all votes for Biden. And then of course we'll hear about the widespread voter fraud that obviously had to occur for that to be the outcome.

DVD

Cyburbian
If the Dems were smart they would find a young centrist as the VP so they could do 8 years of Biden and give the VP a good shot at going next. If the GOP were smart they would start grooming a young centrist for their next election, but all this is depending on politicians to be smart.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
If the Dems were smart they would find a young centrist as the VP so they could do 8 years of Biden and give the VP a good shot at going next. If the GOP were smart they would start grooming a young centrist for their next election, but all this is depending on politicians to be smart.
Mayor Pete is going to be the guy for 2024. Biden has only one term in him. Biden can't pick Pete though because the D's have decided they have to pick from a much smaller pool to appease their base.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't think the American public in general likes the idea of any one party running the show for more than 8 years. That's the trend at least for the past 30 years.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I don't think the American public in general likes the idea of any one party running the show for more than 8 years. That's the trend at least for the past 30 years.
I think as one party has control over more time, they lose sight of the middle and start to veer too far to the left or right. Then our country says, "no thank you one party system, we would rather be in the middle" and makes the parties correct themselves.

I am concerned though about the republican party, as right now, they really don't stand for anything. They once were the party of fiscal conservatives, and the religious right, but now they don't really keep any belief, just what is expedient. The left has really strong voices on the far left (AOC, Bernie, Warren) who are trying to push the party to their positions on climate (green new deal), wealth (tax changes, social safety net issues), and social justice (defund the police, etc.).

The right doesn't have clear messaging around any topics, and they very obviously don't have anyone who is putting out plans to fix the ills of the country. Once I would say they were pro-economy, anti-debt and anti-tax, and pushed State's rights. They certainly are still pro-economy, with that being the only thing they care about (or so it is perceived). Anti-debt is out the window, as Trump has become the biggest spender-in-chief our country has ever seen. And he is racking up the debt, with nothing really to show for it beyond watching our countries billionaires get more money. Anti-tax is still somewhat strong, although they seem to be bending more on supporting raising taxes to cover the gaps they created with their poorly designed policies. And we can all agree they don't support state's rights anymore, as Trump has pushed federal power to new levels without being checked by the R's. So why can I pull up plans from Democrats on how they envision the future of the country, but I can't find solutions from the Republicans?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am concerned though about the republican party, as right now, they really don't stand for anything. They once were the party of fiscal conservatives, and the religious right, but now they don't really keep any belief, just what is expedient.
The GOP has been going increasingly off the rails since the mid 90's. Some at the core of the party have recognized this fact and are attempting a self-correction. The Lincoln Project is one such example of the party trying to reclaim its soul and project some sort of vision and values that's needed on a national scale. The caricature currently in the Oval Office was perhaps unavoidable and embodies the 'win at any cost' mentality that the party has increasingly embraced since the days of Newt Gingrich.

I think it's significant that the Lincoln Project not only is saying don't vote for Trump, but even goes so far as to endorse a democrat. It's like saying 'see, Democrats aren't EVIL. You can actually vote for them and not hate America.'

Veloise

Cyburbian
Done anything interesting while staying home?

Me:

This blog appeared in my in-box last night.

band.png

I promptly chatted with the trombonist (we met at a bike safety program event a few years ago). Neither of us knew the other was submitting some vid, and he's an erstwhile low brasser (usually piano).

A friend who's known me since about 1980 posted, "you and your sousaphone should be in the next one! Here's the latest one!!" and shared a link that I've watched, oh, a couple hundred times

estromberg

Cyburbian
The GOP has been going increasingly off the rails since the mid 90's. Some at the core of the party have recognized this fact and are attempting a self-correction. The Lincoln Project is one such example of the party trying to reclaim its soul and project some sort of vision and values that's needed on a national scale. The caricature currently in the Oval Office was perhaps unavoidable and embodies the 'win at any cost' mentality that the party has increasingly embraced since the days of Newt Gingrich.

I think it's significant that the Lincoln Project not only is saying don't vote for Trump, but even goes so far as to endorse a democrat. It's like saying 'see, Democrats aren't EVIL. You can actually vote for them and not hate America.'
WRT The Lincoln Project, even more telling is the fact that they are going after Trump's enablers and apologists as well.

Planit

Cyburbian
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tore into her Republican colleagues on Thursday for their approach to negotiating the next coronavirus stimulus package, telling CNBC's Jim Cramer: "Perhaps you mistook them for somebody who gives a damn."

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How will you vote this fall.... No, not who who will you vote for, but will you vote in person, early in person, or absentee?

Wife and I are kicking around the idea of absentee, but I also want to bring my oldest with me to vote in person. Perhaps I will have him sit with me, and as I vote absentee and we can discuss the reasons why I am voting for particular candidates.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'll vote absentee. I started voting absentee for everything maybe five or six years ago and then a couple of years ago Michigan went to no-excuse absentee voting and allowed us to permanently request a ballot getting mailed so I elected that. I love it!

Yes, I get that it's nice to be able to take your kids to the poll to show them "Democracy in Action" but I remember doing that with my dad a couple of times and not getting much out of it. If that's something you want to do I think the kids would get a better idea of what I'm doing and why by sitting down with me at the dining room table where I'd have the time and privacy to give them a bit of detail about what I'm voting for and why.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm going to vote in-person early. While I support mail-in ballots, I have voted early ever since we were given the option here in Texas.

Our law has restrictions on who can vote absentee. One of the reasons is being disabled. However, the form and the system don't ask you to list your specific disability, nor prove it. So Hubby is thinking of going that route this year.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'll probably vote in-person and early, for a few reasons:
  • It gets me out of the house.
  • The poll location is about a five-minute drive from the house.
  • There's a nature preserve with some short hiking trails that shares a parking lot with this particular government annex property. I can go vote, take a nice walk, and then explain the absence to my boss as "you wouldn't believe how long the freaking line was!"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Yes, Trump Actually Did Want to Be Added to Mount Rushmore

New York Times: White House reached out to South Dakota governor about adding Trump to Mount Rushmore

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think the most telling thing about where our government is in terms of being broken is the executive order. I get that when we created our three branches of government that the President needed to be able to have some separate authority to provide "quick" solutions.

The President though is intended to act as a check on our legislature. Not have to have our legislature check our President.

Laws and bills go through a process.... Please see here:

I am so frustrated that our legislature can't get bills to the desk of the President. I don't care that we have a D House and an R Senate. Then COMPROMISE you utterly moronic sycophants!!

Planit

Cyburbian
Voting in-person, but early for me. It's fairly easy for me to walk or drive 7 blocks from the office tot eh library during a non-peak time. I walk right in, do my voting, and walk out. I usually know 1 or 2 people working the polls too so I'll say HI to them as well.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I think the most telling thing about where our government is in terms of being broken is the executive order. I get that when we created our three branches of government that the President needed to be able to have some separate authority to provide "quick" solutions.

The President though is intended to act as a check on our legislature. Not have to have our legislature check our President.
I know you know better than this. Checks go both ways. The Executive acts as a check on the Legislature by it's veto power. The Legislative checks the Executive by approval of Executive appointments, funding, impeachment, and veto override.

There was a period of time in American history in the latter half of the 19th century sometimes called the era of 'weak Presidents' where you had a string of one term Presidents whose primary role they considered the exercise of veto on misguided legislation. Presidents in this period did not 'lead' they only reacted.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I know you know better than this. Checks go both ways. The Executive acts as a check on the Legislature by it's veto power. The Legislative checks the Executive by approval of Executive appointments, funding, impeachment, and veto override.

There was a period of time in American history in the latter half of the 19th century sometimes called the era of 'weak Presidents' where you had a string of one term Presidents whose primary role they considered the exercise of veto on misguided legislation. Presidents in this period did not 'lead' they only reacted.
Fair enough. I think I just hate seeing our leadership fail the people and have to push the idea that we remove the filibuster or use executive orders to get things done. You know, instead of working on a compromise.

Looking at wikipedia, it doesn't seem like we use the Executive Order nearly as much as we did in the early 1900's.

Top Executive Orderers... ;)
32Franklin D. RooseveltDemocrat3,7286071–953712.11307.8March 4, 1933 – April 12, 1945
28Woodrow WilsonDemocrat1,8038225.4March 4, 1913 – March 4, 1921
30Calvin CoolidgeRepublican1,2035.59215.2August 2, 1923 – March 4, 1929
26Theodore RooseveltRepublican1,0817.47144.7September 14, 1901 – March 4, 1909
31Herbert HooverRepublican9685075–60704242.0March 4, 1929 – March 4, 1933
33Harry S. TrumanDemocrat9079538–104317.77116.7April 12, 1945 – January 20, 1953
27William Howard TaftRepublican7244181.0March 4, 1909 – March 4, 1913
29Warren G. HardingRepublican5222.41216.9March 4, 1921 – August 2, 1923

Planit

Cyburbian
If tRUMP doesn't think the USPS is reliable, why did he use them to mail us $1200?

(I know that's bad, but it is Monday)

Planit

Cyburbian
Gosh I hate it when I learn something new that I should have been taught in that crummy publik skool I went to growing up.

The 1917 pandemic (which I was taught was in 1918) ended World War Two (which I was taught ended in 1945) because all the soldiers got sick (not by an atomic bomb like I was taught).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Gosh I hate it when I learn something new that I should have been taught in that crummy publik skool I went to growing up.

The 1917 pandemic (which I was taught was in 1918) ended World War Two (which I was taught ended in 1945) because all the soldiers got sick (not by an atomic bomb like I was taught).
You know what's most appalling of all? I have made a point NOT to watch any news for the past week. Yet without any hints or prompting, I know that Planit's remarks are almost certainly in response to some utterly moronic claim made by the Leader of the Free World. :(