• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Veloise

Cyburbian
Moderator note:

The thread you are referencing has been deleted as it is horribly mean spirited and not consistent with Cyburbia's culture.

Death should never be wished on even your worst politic opposite and I strongly recommend we all attack the idea not the person as much as possible as has been one the fundamental ethoses of Cyburbia since the beginning..

Lastly, this neverending political discussion thread exists to contain most or all of the charged political discussions/statements in order to work to preserve the professionalism of the rest of the forum.

Thank you
Thank you. I did not appreciate seeing my handle used in the title of the thread.

Planit

Cyburbian
You know what's most appalling of all? I have made a point NOT to watch any news for the past week. Yet without any hints or prompting, I know that Planit's remarks are almost certainly in response to some utterly moronic claim made by the Leader of the Free World. :(

Check out #28

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was reading up on the conflict between Roosivelt and Taft after Roosivelt got back from his time in Africa and how he got so frustrated with the Republican Party that he left, started his own party.Neither of them won, but the conflict broke the party and handed the victory to Wilson and the Democrats in 1912 with the worst GOP defeat of all time. I wonder how much of an influence Ross Perot made in the 1992 election. I know that with everything going on, it was the first and only time that my parents voted for a Democrat for president.

We have two horrible candidates and I think both parties are so wrapped up in keeping the party line that no one is willing to do the right thing.

Do you think that we will ever get good candidates for president again, or do you think that we will continue to be offered the lesser (or more popular) of the two evils?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We have two horrible** candidates and I think both parties are so wrapped up in keeping the party line that no one is willing to do the right thing.

Do you think that we will ever get good candidates for president again, or do you think that we will continue to be offered the lesser (or more popular) of the two evils?
Biden isn't good. He certainly isn't horrible though. Trump is pretty horrible.

As for good candidates, it really comes down to generational change. Our politics are going to change as a country over the next 10 years as our demographics change and as the old farts who are selfishly ruining our world move on, and the younger generation takes hold. I think we have tilted pretty far right as a country and the correction is coming. Even Obama wasn't this left marxist that it seems people want to paint him. We really haven't had a far left leaning President since Lyndon Johnson.

AOC and Bernie certainly are. The next generation, those that I talk with at least, view the world differently. IF they vote, changes are a brewing. That is a HUGE if though. So I do have hope we can get good candidates. We have them now, they just don't meet some left or right litmus test. I felt better about the D's stable this time around. The R's picked Trump, which says a lot about what options they have a this time. It will be telling how the fracture and gluing back together of the Republican party changes its base. If they don't change, I see the Libertarian or Green Party starting to get more steam, as we will need another party to tamp down the D's if they start to win consistently.

DVD

Cyburbian
Do you think we'll ever get politicians who represent us or at least our state at the senate level instead of pushing some national agenda?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The “suburban housewife” will be voting for me. They want safety & are thrilled that I ended the long running program where low income housing would invade their neighborhood. Biden would reinstall it, in a bigger form, with Corey Booker in charge! "

Sure.

Planit

Cyburbian
This is what a stable genius thinks of a proposed Green Deal - Excerpt from an article:
Trump claimed on Thursday that if Biden is elected, there would be "no fossil fuels, which means, basically, no energy," warned that cities would need to be rebuilt "because too much light gets through the windows ... let's rip down the Empire State Building," "no airplanes," few cars, and suggested: "They don't want to have cows, they don't want to have any form of animals."

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This is what a stable genius thinks of a proposed Green Deal - Excerpt from an article:
Trump claimed on Thursday that if Biden is elected, there would be "no fossil fuels, which means, basically, no energy," warned that cities would need to be rebuilt "because too much light gets through the windows ... let's rip down the Empire State Building," "no airplanes," few cars, and suggested: "They don't want to have cows, they don't want to have any form of animals."
Are you suggesting he is misrepresenting details of the Green Deal?! it would be unseemly for a chief executive to mischaracterize such an important idea.

Planit

Cyburbian
No man. I see it as an economic development boom sensation since we're going to rebuild the cities because too much light. With no airplanes you don't need airports so you can develop those too. Also, cows fart too much and my dog is expensive sometimes.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there anything so low that even the craziest right winger would say, ok, alright, okay, this is too much?

I mean, saying out loud you are dismantling the Postal Service, a federal service, because you WANT TO THWART PEOPLE'S ABILITY TO VOTE - he didn't even try to say otherwise, it just spilled out

Why isn't this one thing, and this one thing only, a deal-breaker for people

Is it because there is so much he has done that also by itself are deal breakers that we are just Teflon-coated to it?

Don't we send military and UN forces to countries that say these things?

I'm just flabbergasted that there isn't an uprising akin to all the others over this.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I'm just flabbergasted that there isn't an uprising akin to all the others over this.
Smaller government is better? I'm just trying to find why anyone would even consider supporting it.... other than the obvious voter suppression reasons.

Smaller government though isn't the platform of the Republican's right now. So I am not sold that is even a thing...

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I think it's because for whatever reason people have bought the narrative hook line and sinker that mail-in voting isn't a right that needs to be protected. In fact, they believe it will lead to massive, widespread voter fraud.

Also, I live 6 minutes away from the nearest post office. If I want to go to FedEx or UPS, the closest one is probably 20 minutes away. I would only go if I am already planning to head to "the City" for a grocery trip or for my in-office day. Twenty minutes to a metro area that has amenities is still not that terrible, but it's terrible enough that it's still something that I have to plan out ahead of time.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Does your hair have to be PERFECT like donald's ?

'My hair has to be perfect': Trump prompts change in showerhead rule

in the scheme of things aren't there more important issues ?

Planit

Cyburbian
tRUMP & Melania recently requested mail-in absentee ballots from Florida for this election.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So, here's the status of the last three things I ordered using Amazon Prime ...

1) Ordered on August 1. "In transit" from Los Angeles since August 4, according to USPS tracking. It didn't arrive at any regional distribution facility or local PO. No expected delivery date.

2) Ordered on August 8. "In transit" from Cleveland since August 10, according to USPS tracking. It didn't arrive at any regional distribution facility or local PO. Delivery date is "today", supposedly.

3) Ordered on August 8. Went from NYC to New Jersey to ... Stow, Ohio? They prettymuch shipped it past my town, and sent it even farther away. Expected delivery date August 18.

Continental drift is faster than the USPS now, it seems. Also, in recent weeks, our mail at home has been coming in chunks -- a few days of nothing, and then a full mailbox. Deliveries were faster and more regular when COVID-19 was at its peak in NYS.

I know the whole "Trump is slowing down the USPS to disrupt voting by mail" thing is a conspiracy theory. However, based on my recent experience I'm starting to think there's some truth behind it. He'll probably find a way to blame Obama for it, somehow. Besides, if the USPS is so bad, according to what Trump says, what doesn't it reflect on his performance? It's his crony that's the Postmaster General.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
"I have done more for WOMEN than just about any President in HISTORY! As we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of women’s voting rights, we should build a BEAUTIFUL STATUE in Washington D.C. to honor the many brave women who made this possible for our GREAT COUNTRY... "

Wow...

He would be so much better if he just stopped making everything about him.

Planit

Cyburbian
To recap what CNN wrote ^above^:
The mailer for a N.C. absentee ballot request has "a photo of Trump grinning underneath the words, 'Are you going to let the Democrats silence you? Act now to stand with President Trump.' "

1597668012712.png
(Did that come via USPS mail?)

According to election law, a USPS mailer that contains an absentee ballot request is not allowed to:

(a) have a picture of just one political candidate who is on the absentee ballot, regardless of who the candidate is.

(b) have a campaign rhetoric quote from a candidate who is on the absentee ballot, regardless of who the candidate is.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Trump is actively working to undermine the Postal Service — and every major U.S. institution
Opinion by William H. McRaven

His commentary about the movie the "The Postman"

New allegation, as reported by The Hill:
House Republicans allege Democrats are fabricating USPS crisis

Today - Monday, August 17:
Democratic leadership announced that the House is being called back into session this Saturday, August 22, to vote on legislation aimed at preventing the USPS from altering operations it had in place as of January 1, 2020.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) tweeted:
“Democrats have no shame. They are pushing conspiracy theories about the USPS to undermine faith in the election and distract from their own failures.”

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have always found John Boehner to be affable. He was kind the couple of times I met him, even though I wasn't exactly a fan. This is just funny though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ John Boehner is from Reading, Ohio ,the same tiny little enclave of Cincinnati where a lot of my dad's family lives. I remember when I was little there were a few blocks in Reading where it felt like every other house had some great aunt and uncle or cousins lived. We used to go down there quite a bit and it seemed like I was always discovering new relatives.

My local state rep is one of the 17 Democrat "Rising Stars" delivering the keynote at the DNC tonight. I don't know how 17 people deliver a keynote. Does each speaker get 45 seconds or something?

Oh well... we like our state rep. She's young but we've met her a few times and she's very smart and very affable (and in an un-political angle, her sister was our daughter's figure skating coach for those two months she took lessons a couple of years ago!). She also took the seat from a guy from the other party who, thanks to the good-ole-boy network, wound up being my boss for a short time when he didn't win the election in '18.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The wife and I decided that we will be voting in-person, but at one of the early polling stations this fall. We were concerned that if we voted by mail, it would not arrive in time.

Personally, I am torn on if I want to vote for a 3rd party or if I can stomach voting for someone who's political views are very different from my own.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Personally, I am torn on if I want to vote for a 3rd party or if I can stomach voting for someone who's political views are very different from my own.
A third party vote is a vote for Trump IMO. I don't care for Biden in the slightest, but I'll be voting for him. I didn't care for Hilary either, and I declined to vote for president in the last election. I won't make that mistake again. Regardless of my feelings towards the man, I won't be wasting my vote when there's clearly evil on the other side.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I haven't watched much of the DNC, but did see Michelle Obama's speech and was very impressed. You could definitely feel the 'closing argument' vibe. I liked how she stayed positive and painted a picture offering some hope for American unity under an empathetic Biden, which should stand in stark contrast to Trumps appeals to fear and division.

Also, looking at the speaker lineup, they not surprisingly included progressive voices to help unify the party, but interestingly featured several Republican speakers. That's got to be some kind of first for a national party convention. Surely, the reason they did so was to reach out to those conservative voters that are still interested in protecting the Constitution.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
A former Republican governor stumping for a Democrat for president at the Democratic Convention is pretty astounding.

Trump praises QAnon supporters: "I understand they like me very much"
The FBI identified fringe conspiracy theories, like QAnon, as domestic terrorist threats in 2019.
QAnon is a sprawling internet conspiracy theory that baselessly alleges that a powerful cabal of sex traffickers within the "deep state" is engaged in a global fight to take down Trump.

Veloise

Cyburbian
This is beautiful. The staging, use of social distancing as a design element, musicianship. Camerawork. Four POC presenting a meaningful, moving closing number.

I don't miss the live packed convention hall at all.

Planit

Cyburbian
Steve Bannon (& others) arrested for fraud. The 4 had the 'non-profit' We Build the Wall and promised donors those funds would help build tRUMP's wall. The funds went to their bank accounts.

There's goes another one...

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Steve Bannon (& others) arrested for fraud. The 4 had the 'non-profit' We Build the Wall and promised donors those funds would help build tRUMP's wall. The funds went to their bank accounts.

They will get pardoned. Don't worry.

Odd though that a lot of Trump's 2016 Campaign managers have now been indicted. I mean I'm sure that is normal... right?

---

Also, on the Trump twitter comment front, he retweeted that is the most pro-gay president in American history. So on social issues he and Biden agree? Is that what he is staying? I am just trying to understand what he is saying here. I hope someone calls him out on this and explicitly asks about his position on LGBT rights and freedoms.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I watched Obama's speech last nights. He and I share the same view of Trump. I am still not sold on Creepy Uncle Joe...

However, my biggest criticism is not of any of the speakers... but that of Savannah Guthrie of NBC news. Last night after Obama finished his speech, she pointed out that there are few more meaningful locations than where the 1776 Deceleration of Independence was signed and is located. Ok... the City of Philadelphia is where it was signed at Independence Hall, up the road and around the corner from where the speech was given... not in that building or location. However the document is located 141 miles south east at the National Archives building in DC.

At least she didn't say that it was in the back of a van with Nicholas Cage...

estromberg

Cyburbian

He was arrested on a yacht by the USPS.

FYI: This is why #ArrestedDevelopment is trending on Twitter. Life imitating art.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

"President Trump has already cast doubt on whether he will accept a loss to Democratic nominee Joe Biden and has repeatedly stoked unfounded fears about voting by mail."

"Top [Trump] campaign advisers are also mapping out a post-election strategy centered in part on challenging mail ballots that do not have postmarks..."
"But the Postal Service is not required to postmark every piece of mail, creating problems for election officials who receive ballots without an official date stamp."

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

"President Trump has already cast doubt on whether he will accept a loss to Democratic nominee Joe Biden and has repeatedly stoked unfounded fears about voting by mail."

"Top [Trump] campaign advisers are also mapping out a post-election strategy centered in part on challenging mail ballots that do not have postmarks..."
"But the Postal Service is not required to postmark every piece of mail, creating problems for election officials who receive ballots without an official date stamp."
Making it all the more imperative that he be dealt a resounding and unequivocal defeat by large margins in as many states as possible.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Does Melania deserve the criticism for what she did to the Rose Garden ?

Planit

Cyburbian
Of the 12 'key speakers' at the RNC, 6 are tRUMPS...Don, Ivanka, Jr., Eric, Melania & Tiffany.

How would you like to be one of his stooges ardent supports like Devin Nunes and see the Tiffany out ranked you.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Of the 12 'key speakers' at the RNC, 6 are tRUMPS...Don, Ivanka, Jr., Eric, Melania & Tiffany.

How would you like to be one of his stooges ardent supports like Devin Nunes and see the Tiffany out ranked you.
I have zero interest in what they have to say.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Does Melania deserve the criticism for what she did to the Rose Garden ?
I think so. They've made it a point to erase all semblance of presidential tradition and made Trump's entire presidency about him and no one else. No respect for anyone who held the office before him, regardless of who it may be.

I'm shocked that anyone remembered Tiffany existed. She's done a good job distancing herself from the train wreck.