• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NEVERENDING ∞ The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder how horrible he'll try to make his lame duck session and whether or not he'll receive any substantial pushback from the Senate who might want to start distancing themselves from him now that they've likely maintained their majority and don't want to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory before the run-offs in Georgia.
My guess is he's not going to spend as much time as we might fear inflicting damage on the country via Executive orders, going to war, blanket pardons for anyone ever convicted of anything, or whatever other administrative scorched earth policies you can dream up. You have to remember that for Trump being President was never about governing, but rather, being admired in the eyes of others. My guess is he'll spend the next 10 weeks tweeting whatever baseless nonsense or mischief he can dream up to cast doubt on the validity of the election in the eyes of those who already adore him. He'll (hopefully) be too busy with that to devote much energy towards inflicting real damage on his way out.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
My guess is he's not going to spend as much time as we might fear inflicting damage on the country via Executive orders, going to war, blanket pardons for anyone ever convicted of anything, or whatever other administrative scorched earth policies you can dream up. You have to remember that for Trump being President was never about governing, but rather, being admired in the eyes of others. My guess is he'll spend the next 10 weeks tweeting whatever baseless nonsense or mischief he can dream up to cast doubt on the validity of the election in the eyes of those who already adore him. He'll (hopefully) be too busy with that to devote much energy towards inflicting real damage on his way out.

Both Democrats and the GOP will likely have the Georgia runoffs and a possible stimulus bill to think about in the next few months. I would not be surprised if the senior ranking GOP members get in line to strongly condemn Trump if he tries to go full scorched earth.

I'm no legal expert, but are there really no legal repercussions for all of the unfounded election fraud accusations? What if violence really does break out at one of the election locations because an angry crowd is convinced there is fraud?

HomerJ

Cyburbian

Planit

Cyburbian
He'll do a pardon run for those that 'stayed loyal' - Stone, Flynn and the likes.

He'll continue to tweet away.

He'll call into Hannity and run his mouth too.

There's probably some things we haven't dreamed of too.

IMHO

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
He'll do a pardon run for those that 'stayed loyal' - Stone, Flynn and the likes.

IMHO
Yes the next 75 days are going to be horrifying.

As the Coronavirus continues to swirl through the country - a record 120,000 cases today - Trump will go on an absolute rampage. I expect him to start tweeting on Steve Bannon levels of inciting violence and this, marked with a huge surge in Coronavirus cases will make it the blackest Christmas in U. S. History.

The only good thing is that Trump is so distracted by this protracted vote count, that he hasn't inflicted too much damage yet. Who knows what he would have done by now had the vote been a landslide. Hopefully he will keep being distracted by his rejected lawsuits and a Georgia recount. But with McConnell gearing up to continue his dirty bidding on January 20th, the pain will continue for the short term. With 65+ million supporters out there, the potential for mass violence is very real.

Our best hope, once Trump is removed from office, is for both seats to flip in Georgia and Nuremburg-like trails to begin in earnest soon after.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

IMHO
And he still has Bitch McConnell at his service.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
This might be the most momentous transition since 1860. I am not comparing the issues then to those now but rather the depth of division. I could never imagine that Trumpism could have infected some 70M Americans to that extent.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

Trump Team Holds News Conference Outside Drab Landscaping Firm, Next to Adult Book Store

Get your commemorative t-shirt here.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything about 2020 has been brutal. The Presidential election was no different. After 5 days we have a new president. Not going to lie, I shed a few tears upon hearing the news. The past 4 years under 45 has been devastating to so many people and COVID-19 is spiking once again to record highs. Cheetolini has been golfing and filing frivolous lawsuits, Mike Pence is MIA, and the GOP elected Senators and Reps are trying to distance themselves as far and fast as they can. I think President-elect Biden's speech was great and so was Vice President-elect Harris' speech; they both give me hope that they will do what they can to put America back together. Make no mistake, there are deep divides and much work to be done. The unsung heroes are the thousands of election workers and volunteers who worked tirelessly during a pandemic to deliver the election results.

Hold on tight, it's going to be a long 2.5 months until Inauguration Day.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I enjoyed seeing the R-appointed judge here shoot down the baseless lawsuit due to ... nonsense.
Our SOS had the local clerks install ballot drop boxes, and in most cases there are security cameras on them. The SOS is not in charge of those cameras nor any images captured. (Seriously, the T campaign is going to sit and watch people dropping off their ballots? What could they possibly think they'd learn from that??)
Also, the counting was completed pretty much before the suit was filed.
Also, the rules included widely-publicized requirements for health and safety: stay 6 feet away from the elections workers.
No, you can't touch the ballots, look at the voter rolls, demand to know the party affiliation/name/address of an elections worker. You're not supposed to talk to the workers at all.

Democratic election challenger Khaliluh Gaston, 44, of Detroit went to the TCF Center early Wednesday morning to get trained and certified.
She started watching the ballots being counted at about 9:30 a.m., when Biden pulled ahead.
By 11 a.m., things "started to get a little bit tense," she said. The GOP observers appeared more defiant, with many refusing to wear masks and ignoring the 6-foot distance rule, she said.
“I visibly witnessed one man harassing an election worker, standing right over her shoulder very closely when a ballot got rejected from the machine,” said Gaston, who is an urban planner and entrepreneur. “Other observers that were with him came over and asked him to take a walk to let off some steam because he was just getting very, very frustrated."
Gaston said she also witnessed Republican observers asking election workers whether they were Republican or Democrat.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I enjoyed seeing the R-appointed judge here shoot down the baseless lawsuit due to ... nonsense.
Our SOS had the local clerks install ballot drop boxes, and in most cases there are security cameras on them. The SOS is not in charge of those cameras nor any images captured. (Seriously, the T campaign is going to sit and watch people dropping off their ballots? What could they possibly think they'd learn from that??)
Also, the counting was completed pretty much before the suit was filed.
Also, the rules included widely-publicized requirements for health and safety: stay 6 feet away from the elections workers.
No, you can't touch the ballots, look at the voter rolls, demand to know the party affiliation/name/address of an elections worker. You're not supposed to talk to the workers at all.

Democratic election challenger Khaliluh Gaston, 44, of Detroit went to the TCF Center early Wednesday morning to get trained and certified.
She started watching the ballots being counted at about 9:30 a.m., when Biden pulled ahead.
By 11 a.m., things "started to get a little bit tense," she said. The GOP observers appeared more defiant, with many refusing to wear masks and ignoring the 6-foot distance rule, she said.
“I visibly witnessed one man harassing an election worker, standing right over her shoulder very closely when a ballot got rejected from the machine,” said Gaston, who is an urban planner and entrepreneur. “Other observers that were with him came over and asked him to take a walk to let off some steam because he was just getting very, very frustrated."
Gaston said she also witnessed Republican observers asking election workers whether they were Republican or Democrat.

NPR ran an interview with Ms. Gaston, craziness.

I expect most of the lawsuits filed don't have merit and will be dismissed. I don't expect that Cheetolini will actually concede, more that the federal government will just move ahead with the transition although I read that the GSA director still hasn't recognized the Biden win.

Planit

Cyburbian
We're going to the Four Seasons (Total Landscaping in an industrial park).

This is one of the most hilarious happenings of the year.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My parents voted in person last week. My dad waited 90 minutes and my mom went a couple hours later and waited 3 hours.

This is in their rural township with fewer than about 3,300 registered voters. There are only two precincts and both vote in the same building but they had half the total number of booths than they normally do because of social distancing and mold remediation going on in one section of the tiny township hall and they ended up with higher than 80% turnout (one precinct had 89% turnout, the other had 75%).

My dad was curious and called the Clerk the next day and she said that after about 5:00 p.m. they only ever had a trickle of voters coming in and no more lines.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
🤤

Yes, I understand that. Still doesn't change the fact that Silver is wrong in this instance.
Silver was wrong about a few states as far as there being tighter margins in the rust belt, but ultimately appeared to be dead right about Georgia in this instance.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Just about every poll was wrong. Most had Biden winning but had pretty healthy margins for him in the states. As in 2016 they greatly underestimated the support for Trump.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Come on fess up have you been doing this -

Trump campaign voter fraud hotline flooded with prank calls​

The Trump Campaign’s Voter Fraud Hotline Keeps Getting Pranked​

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Man featured at Giuliani press conference is a convicted sex offender​

He's creditable ?

Four Seasons Total Landscaping, the suburban garden center where Rudy Giuliani held a bizarre postelection press conference, is now selling merchandise to cash in​

Trump's legal team appeared to have made a mistake in booking Four Seasons Total Landscaping for its Saturday-morning press conference, most likely mixing it up with the Four Seasons luxury hotel in Philadelphia.
Now that is funny.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I know many friends who are uber-liberal who want Biden to somehow become Bernie, but my hope for the Biden Presidency is more like this article:

I would really like to see Biden take the tone down, reduce the ability of the President to sway so much of the policy of the country, and try and put the power back in the hands of the house and the senate, forcing them to agree and make policy better.

Split government is good for our country because it protects us from the worst of both sides. We see much more central and easy to agree on legislation get moved through, and the policies that are more controversial likely die. We could use 4 years of good, central policy, being approved. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I know many friends who are uber-liberal who want Biden to somehow become Bernie, but my hope for the Biden Presidency is more like this article:

I would really like to see Biden take the tone down, reduce the ability of the President to sway so much of the policy of the country, and try and put the power back in the hands of the house and the senate, forcing them to agree and make policy better.

Split government is good for our country because it protects us from the worst of both sides. We see much more central and easy to agree on legislation get moved through, and the policies that are more controversial likely die. We could use 4 years of good, central policy, being approved. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

I would even go a step further to say this is a good opportunity to explore taking more power out of the federal government altogether if it makes more sense at the state and local level.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would even go a step further to say this is a good opportunity to explore taking more power out of the federal government altogether if it makes more sense at the state and local level.

no unfunded mandates though as sometimes, sending things to the state level means pushing the problem off your desk as President and then everyone is stuck

some things need to be at a federal level and some things need to be left to the state - this is the kind of debate and discussion I think the country needs - what is the role of government to fix, manage, operate and address stuff

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like a coordinated response to a pandemic that doesn't respect arbitrary political borders.

A reasonable approach could have looked like NIMS unified command.

exactamundo (can we say that)

but seriously, yes, worldwide events, natural disasters - I am not a libertarian or anything (they can be weird, sorry, my brother is one, and he's one of my best friends, but he's weird lol) but I get that there are many things that need federal level response, coordination and funding

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Anyone dipping their toes into Parler or MeWe? I'm fascinated by the "mass exodus," but not enough to actually create accounts to see what is actually happening.

So far, based on the people that have made declarations about leaving Facebook and Twitter, I'm probably going to be a more sane person by not going out of my way to see what the fuss is about.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Anyone dipping their toes into Parler or MeWe? I'm fascinated by the "mass exodus," but not enough to actually create accounts to see what is actually happening.

So far, based on the people that have made declarations about leaving Facebook and Twitter, I'm probably going to be a more sane person by not going out of my way to see what the fuss is about.

This here Cyburbia website and a couple of UGA-related sports boards are as close as I get to "social media". Now get off my lawn!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

I left Facebook over a year ago, but not to go anywhere else- it's just brain pollution and I had to sift through more and more junk every day just to see the occasional post from somebody I cared about. I'm so glad I got it out of my life.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

I had to Google Parlet and MeWe and now I'm stupider for having done so.

This here Cyburbia website and a couple of UGA-related sports boards are as close as I get to "social media". Now get off my lawn!

This. Except swap out UGA-related sports for wristwatches, running, and mens clothing.

I do have Facebook but I've only got about 50 friends on there and use it primarily to see what's happening in a couple of local running groups.

I will say that with so little activity by me using Facebook, I was pretty much spared from political ads on there this past cycle. I recall seeing a couple for some hyper-local races (county commissioner race for my district and a couple ads for the school board). When I'd scroll through on my wife's account though, it was political ad after political ad from the presidential race on down.

DVD

Cyburbian
Like Faust I dropped The Facebook and never got into the bird thing or insta whatever. This place and a scrollsaw website are about all I do.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Like Faust I dropped The Facebook and never got into the bird thing or insta whatever. This place and a scrollsaw website are about all I do.

I dropped Facebook right before the election because the posts (both national and local politics) were just driving me crazy. I still use instagram because it's just pictures of things I like, but I have no desire to pursue those new sites.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I do FB and this site and that's it. Technically, I have a twitter account. I never post on it and rarely even look at it.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I just use Facebook to post cute pictures of my kid so grandparents can see them.

What I really want is for someone to take one for the team and go undercover and report back what it's really like.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
What I really want is for someone to take one for the team and go undercover and report back what it's really like.
I just signed up. Remind me and I'll go back every once in a while.

I think it's more like Twitter than FB, and I'm not very good at Twitter so I'm not sure how much good I'll be.