• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
Capture.PNG

gtpeach

Cyburbian
If I were Biden, I would have the inauguration ceremony with my immediate family only in a locked bunker in an undisclosed location.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” Mother Night- Vonnegut

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Just posted this to Facebook.

Really, I'm at a loss for words about what's going on. This is not the America I grew up in. I'm ashamed that the kinds of people in this mob have redefined the word "patriot", and appropriated the flag -- once a symbol for democracy, our cultural, spiritual, and ideological diversity, our beautiful landscape, and the idea that we're all in this together. I'm ashamed that so many of us won't even so much as wear a mask to protect their friends, families, and neighbors from COVID-19, for the sake of some twisted idea of virtue signalling and "muh freedoms" while their grandparents took part in blackouts, food and gas rationing, collecting metals and fats, and spending their spare change on war bonds during WWII.

I'm not ashamed to be an American. I won't let some toxic camo-wearing, coal-rolling, fuck-your-feeelings banner waving traitors change that.

I don't know what else to say. All of my friends and family, no matter what side of the political spectrum you fall on, please stay safe.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Trump's tweet response is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I am completely out of words. I don't understand how anyone doesn't see this for what it is... I am just confused.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Congress has to act tonight to show the country they cannot be cowed by a mob. These rioter/terrorists must be identified and prosecuted.
Any further nonsense by Republicans should be prosecuted under the RICO or other applicable statutes. This must be the beginning of the end of that party ruled by the sociopathic right wing.

word now that the woman shot inside the Capitol has died.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Trump's tweet response is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I am completely out of words. I don't understand how anyone doesn't see this for what it is... I am just confused.
Telling terrorists who stormed the Capitol that he loves them. He LOVES them. :mad::mad::mad:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I left two stern but calm statements on the facebook pages of each of my three Federal legislators - Senators and Representative.

The messages are worded the same despite having D and R Senators and an R Rep.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
You know that guy with his feet on Pelosi's desk is going to become a cult hero. Hopefully after he does some time
As the news shows photos of these terrorists with fully exposed faces, my son and I keep pointing and saying 'going to prison' on repeat.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I had made a comment on a certain congress member's FB post today. While I was watching Nancy Pelosi's address on the House floor, the comment was Liked by that congress member. That's right, he Liked my comment from the floor of the House. I think that's awesome.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As the news shows photos of these terrorists with fully exposed faces, my son and I keep pointing and saying 'going to prison' on repeat.
Could Trump give them a pardon? I have a feeling that if there’s not a 25th Amendment solution soon, Trump will be giving out a lot of get-out-of-jail-free cards.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Could Trump give them a pardon? I have a feeling that if there’s not a 25th Amendment solution soon, Trump will be giving out a lot of get-out-of-jail-free cards.
He has to know who they are first.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Man... what a day. I am not sure I am able to fully comprehend how big of a deal yesterday was. I am sure many news organizations will sensationalize everything today, but I hope even those who love President Trump realize that yesterday was caused by rhetoric that doesn't in any way move our country forward. By rhetoric that has for years incited anger and fear and hatred in people.

Words matter. Morals matter. Decorum matters. Statesmanship matters. We need more of those things, and less of the "truth telling common man" attitude.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
... but I hope even those who love President Trump realize that yesterday was caused by rhetoric that doesn't in any way move our country forward. By rhetoric that has for years incited anger and fear and hatred in people.

During the George Floyd riots, most mainstream news outlets (except Fox) made the distinction between peaceful protestors on the streets, and opportunistic rioters and looters. I turned on Newsmax for a few minutes yesterday night, just for shits and giggles. The commentator called the rioters who broke into the Capitol "peaceful protestors". This was followed by a rant where the commentator, describing what the future "radical left" leadership will do, literally said "They're going to take your guns, they're going to take your money."

In other news, I was impressed by the actions of my Congressman, Tom Reed (R), in crossing the aisle to stand with his Democratic colleges, and object to the challenge of Arizona's electoral votes. I didn't vote for Reed, but I respect him. for doing the honorable thing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
In 2000 I was sitting on a Navy ship off the coast of the former Yugoslavia. We were monitoring elections in Serbia and had orders to go ashore to stop scenes like yesterday's from happening in certain parties didn't like the outcome of those elections. Thankfully, those orders were never executed. There was an actual coup going on as the country was trying to oust Slobodan Milošević and it was more orderly than what we saw yesterday in D.C.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The number of arrests is somewhere north of 52 now, with the FBI seeking to ID others involved.
Should be easy as many in the Capitol bldg were blatant with their faces exposed and posting on social media.

Planit

Cyburbian
The powder keg finally blew. Last night I flipped between watching CNN, Fox, CSpan & BBC - what a difference in reporting. I will say Fox was okay until 8:00 when the opinion shows started.

Carlson said - what was happening was appalling but the new administration will use this to take away your rights.

Graham said - "Trump and I have, we've had a hell of a journey. I hate it to end this way. Oh my God, I hate it. All I can say is count me out. Enough is enough,"

and finally, tRump - "Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th. I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!"

Some Republican Senators did withdraw their objections and only Arizona (93-6) & Pennsylvania (96-3) had to go through votes. Reps tried to object to Wisconsin, but no Senators were on board. However in the House was a different story. At least the 2 NC Senators both voted "no" to the objections (so I got that going for me). If the 25th Amendment is invoked, I doubt Pence would pardon him now, although stranger things have happened.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here's the thing: every day, the FBI successfully thwarts possible terrorist attacks in this country that we never hear about so how did they NOT know the coordination of this event yesterday - the making and placement of pipe bombs, etc - it was all orchestrated and planned in advance

I know that the DC mayor purposefully did not want a militaristic showing yesterday which backfired as the DC police were technically in charge up to the steps of the capitol, but the FBI is separate and they have declared white supremacists as domestic terrorists - so did they seriously not know?

so beyond the Capitol Police backing away from the crowd and letting it all happen, there's another angle here I think

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Here's the thing: every day, the FBI successfully thwarts possible terrorist attacks in this country that we never hear about so how did they NOT know the coordination of this event yesterday - the making and placement of pipe bombs, etc - it was all orchestrated and planned in advance

I know that the DC mayor purposefully did not want a militaristic showing yesterday which backfired as the DC police were technically in charge up to the steps of the capitol, but the FBI is separate and they have declared white supremacists as domestic terrorists - so did they seriously not know?

so beyond the Capitol Police backing away from the crowd and letting it all happen, there's another angle here I think
Definitely a failure of law enforcement imagination...at best.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yesterday early in the day I posted this in the Random Thread:

OK... I am starting to get sick and tired of the lack of people willing to acknowledge right from wrong. It goes way beyond politics, and even American Society and into the essence of human nature.

Little did I know how true those words would ring out.

I am super disappointed in several conservative friends that continue to support the President's rhetoric and are posting excuses regarding the riots and how that it is a left wing conspiracy. I am not going to unfriend them because I am having too much fun poking holes in their theories.

I don't think that the election was perfect and that there was some shady things that happened... but that was on both sides. But that has occurred in ever major election since the foundation of our country. I also firmly believe that our founding fathers would be furious to see what transpired yesterday and how their work and words have been manipulated and basterized to support the actions of the extremists on both sides.

Finally, I agree that there was a serious breakdown in law enforcement yesterday and I question how much of that was influenced by the President.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Yesterday early in the day I posted this in the Random Thread:

Little did I know how true those words would ring out.

I am super disappointed in several conservative friends that continue to support the President's rhetoric and are posting excuses regarding the riots and how that it is a left wing conspiracy. I am not going to unfriend them because I am having too much fun poking holes in their theories.

I don't think that the election was perfect and that there was some shady things that happened... but that was on both sides. But that has occurred in ever major election since the foundation of our country. I also firmly believe that our founding fathers would be furious to see what transpired yesterday and how their work and words have been manipulated and basterized to support the actions of the extremists on both sides.

Finally, I agree that there was a serious breakdown in law enforcement yesterday and I question how much of that was influenced by the President.
Yeah. I think at this point, if they're still standing by the president, they're not going to be convinced by anything. It's really painful to see so many people I care about be willingly blinded at this point.

I truly hope that some time and distance, when people aren't so impassioned, that most of these folks will realize they were wrong, even if they don't outwardly admit it. I don't know if I really expect that to happen, but I have to hope that it can happen. So that we can recover and move on and repair damage to our political system and to our relationships.

MD Planner

Cyburbian

Well in order to be pardoned you have to be convicted first. IF that happens it wouldn't be until Biden is sworn in.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I stayed up to watch the process until the objection to Pennsylvania. I have to admit, I'd never paid attention to this step in the process, and I bet there are a lot of Americans saying the same thing.

I'm still scared. No matter what he tweets from other people's accounts, he will not go quietly.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well in order to be pardoned you have to be convicted first. IF that happens it wouldn't be until Biden is sworn in.
Actually it's convicted or just simply formally accused. But it'll probably be 2+ weeks before any of these terrorists' names get released.

Veloise

Cyburbian

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Actually, yes. Past Presidents have issued pardons for acts prior to the initiation of any legal proceedings. The most notable example was when Ford pardoned Nixon. This issue of pardoning prior to a conviction has not been fully challenged/litigated, though.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Actually, yes. Past Presidents have issued pardons for acts prior to the initiation of any legal proceedings. The most notable example was when Ford pardoned Nixon. This issue of pardoning prior to a conviction has not been fully challenged/litigated, though.
Carter pardoned draft dodgers. It was over 100,000 people at once, if I remember correctly.

dw914er

Cyburbian

Some interesting commentary that seems appropriate given yesterday's events. I actually think Trump is trying to be removed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
President Carter gave a general pardon to Vietnam draft dodgers as a whole on January 21, 1977, his first day in office.

Acting pursuant to the grant of authority in Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution of the United States, I, Jimmy Carter, President of the United States, do hereby grant a full, complete and unconditional pardon to: (1) all persons who may have committed any offense between August 4, 1964 and March 28, 1973 in violation of the Military Selective Service Act or any rule or regulation promulgated thereunder; and (2) all persons heretofore convicted, irrespective of the date of conviction, of any offense committed between August 4, 1964 and March 28, 1973 in violation of the Military Selective Service Act, or any rule or regulation promulgated thereunder, restoring to them full political, civil and other rights..

Replace "Jimmy Carter" with "Donald J. Trump", change the date to January 6, 2021, change references from the Military Service Act to 18 USC Ch. 115 (treason, sedition, and subversive activities), and the bearded yahoos are scot free.

For what it's worth, I think it's interesting that President Carter used "Jimmy Carter" in the pardon, "James E. Carter".

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Same thing here. As if George Soros, Bill Gates, Hillary Clinton, Greta Thunberg, the Rothchilds, the ghost of Oogo Chavez, AOC, BLM, WHO, and of course, the Jeeeeeeeeeews, put out a casting call for 50,000 ZZ Top impersonators and RAM 3500 owners to protest the Electoral College vote tally, all expenses paid, camo and Confederate flags provided.