• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The way they structure it here is they have a handful of 'early voting sites' spread throughout the County (County runs the elections here) and if you live in that county, you can show up at any of them to vote. They check you off on a paper and a computer form to indicate that you have voted, and they hand you the proper ballot. It works out great for me because it allows me not only time, but location flexibility and the computer check in synchronized with the other polling places to prevent me from going to multiple locations and voting more than once.

If you vote on election day, you have to go to your assigned polling place.
Pretty much the same in my state.

But for early in-person voting, we only have the option of the Board of Elections office, which is located in southern part the township just north of the county seat. Good thing I live and work in the county seat, so the Board office is a 5 min drive from either my house or office.

But we are a much lower population county than yours, so having multiple physical locations is a good idea for you.

Planit

Cyburbian
Over the past week Republicans have been blocking their own policy goals in order to make legislating more difficult for the Democratic majority.

What's more, the bill is being stopped by Idaho Republican James Risch, who is himself a cosponsor of the bill. He has worried that Republicans won't get enough credit for the bill, that it will be more Democratic at the end of the day. This, even though three of Republican Sen. Marco Rubio's smaller bills are within the larger piece.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hadn't checked in here for a few weeks. Ironic that the first unread post was after the Boulder mass shooting and late last night there was one in Indiana at a Fedex facility. I don't know what the answers are, I don't thing there is any one singular answer though.

I've always been fascinated by the ATF firearms trace data alter sitting through a presentation about a decade ago. Until recently, the ATF had to search through paper records to determine the origin of the firearm, who sold/purchased it, and perhaps what happened afterward. That is ridiculous in the modern age given the technology that exists. It was my understanding that the gun lobby fought hard to keep everything paper because it was cumbersome and slowed things down.

Now the ATF has something called eTrace which is allowing them to complete tracing much more quickly for weapons recovered in conjunction with crime. Every year they release a report for each state and you can tell a lot about a state from how the data stacks up. https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/firearms-trace-data-2019

Let's take NJ as an example. Firearms are difficult to purchase here, it takes a lot of effort. In 2019, there were 4,309 trace requests submitted to ATF and they located the state of origin in 2,700 traces. NJ was the source of 19.5% of the firearms, PA was 15.7%, GA 10.1%, VA 9.5%, NC 8.8%, SC 7%, FL 5.8%. In the Northeast PA/GA/VA/NC/SC/FL are often referred to as the "Iron Pipeline" because as you can see 56.9% of the firearms recovered in NJ were from those states. Time to crime in NJ firearms is 12.38 years as compared to the national average of 8.29 years.

Using NC as a comparison there were 16,830 trace requests submitted to the ATF and 13,149 traces were completed. NC was the source of 74.7% of the firearms and the next highest states of origin were SC 6.3%, VA 3.7%, GA 2.3%, and FL 2%. Time to crime in NC was 8.11 years.

The population of NJ is about 9 million and NC about 10 million so it's somewhat of a fair comparison population wise. I find it interesting that there were 4x the amount of trace requests in NC as compared to NJ. Also NJ did not even come up as a top 15 origin source for NC the way NC does for NJ.

We aren't paying enough attention to what happens to firearms after the initial purchase from a licensed dealer.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We aren't paying enough attention to what happens to firearms after the initial purchase from a licensed dealer.
what are your thoughts on how to solve this issue and more so, would it have prevented any of the mass shootings of the past few years?

Personally, I there needs to be a stronger emphasis on education on how to properly secure weapons and better back ground checks to prevent those with mental concerns from having access to them.

I also think there needs to be improved mental health services to prevent these issues. Take the Fed Ex situation. How many people would be alive if he received the care he needed.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
what are your thoughts on how to solve this issue and more so, would it have prevented any of the mass shootings of the past few years?

Personally, I there needs to be a stronger emphasis on education on how to properly secure weapons and better back ground checks to prevent those with mental concerns from having access to them.

I also think there needs to be improved mental health services to prevent these issues. Take the Fed Ex situation. How many people would be alive if he received the care he needed.
The US mental health system is an unmitigated disaster. The fixes for that are long range and require universal health care. Private insurers simply aren't interested in providing long term mental health care. The Fedex gunman legally purchased his firearms and should have been red flagged after the FBI visited him last year based on a complaint from his mother that he was trying to commit suicide by cop. The news accounts state that a shotgun was removed from his possession and not returned. Why wasn't there a red flag? He was able to purchase the two rifles used in the mass shooting legally despite the prior confiscation. That should be worrisome for everyone.

I do think that everyone who purchases a firearm should have to complete some type of safety course-although I would never be interested in owning a firearm myself pretty much every responsible owner I've ever known doesn't have any issue with education/training.

As far as figuring out where firearms go once purchased legally....perhaps a chain of title system much like we do with vehicles. While I don't think this would have stopped the recent mass shootings, I do believe that it would put a dent in the every day shootings that plague large cities like mine. The newspaper stories nearly always cite "unlawful possession of a weapon" as a pending charge. The firearms are coming from somewhere. Where? Who is buying them and responsible for them ending up in the hands of people that should not have them?

Planit

Cyburbian
Thoughts & Prayers are a daily occurrence
Our flags just stay at half-mast
The news just reported another one
The legislature is all talk and no action
An argument for open carry is yelled out
Yet in how many mass shootings has the shooter been taken out by a bystander
An argument about mental health is the problem
Yet full & free firearm access continues the problem

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So what do you think will happen. Closing arguments in the case about George Floyd is scheduled for today and it makes me wonder how bad the riots will be if he is not found guilty of all charges. Over the weekend here what started out as peaceful protests turned into vandalism.

On a side and planning related note, last year when the riots happened in the larger city, a business owner was frustrated because of the lack of police protection for his business. He has since closed it and is in the process of reopening in a much smaller suburban Town and cites the number of protests and the lack of police response as the primary factor. Will you see this in more urban areas that are in volatile areas or do you think it is more of a one-off incident.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to having a business in a dense urban area, but I would want to make sure that there was a good method with dropdown gates or something to protect the business in the event that something happened.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I thought Chauvin's defense attorneys were not very good. But then, they didn't have much to work with, and I think trying to pin the death on drug use and pre-existing health issues was a stretch. Certainly nothing I heard persuaded me it wasn't Chauvin's knee on George Floyd's neck for 9+ minutes that killed him.

I don't condone it, but I would understand a riotous reaction in the event of acquittal.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I thought Chauvin's defense attorneys were not very good. But then, they didn't have much to work with, and I think trying to pin the death on drug use and pre-existing health issues was a stretch. Certainly nothing I heard persuaded me it wasn't Chauvin's knee on George Floyd's neck for 9+ minutes that killed him.

I don't condone it, but I would understand a riotous reaction in the event of acquittal.
Criminal defense lawyers are an interesting bunch. I'm friends with one that likes to represent who he calls "absolutely deplorable people." Not because he likes or believes them, but because he has a deep, deep belief that everyone, no matter what, deserves a defense that assures everything at the trial is on the up-and-up. He knows most of his clients are guilty, and he views putting together the best defense he can for what is a losing cause is important to building confidence in the justice system overall. He used to be a prosecutor but didn't like the emphasis on winning at seemingly all costs... so part of it is a distrust for the prosecution.

He always gives a simple response to the question of "why to you represent such terrible, guilty people?" That response is "what if they aren't guilty?"

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Criminal defense lawyers are an interesting bunch. I'm friends with one that likes to represent who he calls "absolutely deplorable people." Not because he likes or believes them, but because he has a deep, deep belief that everyone, no matter what, deserves a defense that assures everything at the trial is on the up-and-up. He knows most of his clients are guilty, and he views putting together the best defense he can for what is a losing cause is important to building confidence in the justice system overall. He used to be a prosecutor but didn't like the emphasis on winning at seemingly all costs... so part of it is a distrust for the prosecution.

He always gives a simple response to the question of "why to you represent such terrible, guilty people?" That response is "what if they aren't guilty?"

I think your friend is spot on. My response whenever I hear people say "how can he/she defend that person?" is simple. I just say, "by protecting his rights you also protect mine".

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Sounds like John Adams when he represented the British soldiers from the Boston Massacre. He was a devout patriot but believed that everyone is due proper representation.

On a side note, this will get real interesting. The Judge indicated that the comments from Maxine Waters pushing for discord in the streets might be grounds for a mistrial or an appeal. But I think it further supports the idea that mob mentality has consequences.

Today being 4/20, I'm cross-posting from Today is... two political pieces on the subject:

4/20.

Willie Nelson calls on Biden to recognize 4/20 as a national marijuana holiday
"The singer wants 4/20 through his birthday on 4/29 to be recognized as the 'High Holidays' "

Senate leader Schumer calls for marijuana to be decriminalized by next year’s 4/20

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
One of the expert witnesses for the prosecution in the Chauvin trial is from my neck o' the woods. He has testified before my BZA as both he and his wife are vociferous opponents of litter on a stick. They got their wish. :cool:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

The Last Scheme to Discredit the 2020 Election Is On, and It’s Even Crazier Than You Think​

Kooks conducting bizarre audit in last-ditch effort to overturn Trump’s loss in Arizona​

A Virginia GOP candidate for governor said Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict 'makes me feel sick'

Virginia State Sen. Amanda Freeman Chase, who describes herself as "Trump in heels,"
framed the Chauvin verdict as an attack on policing, what she called "our second line of defense" after gun ownership.

In a statement to The [Washington] Post, Chase doubled down on her comments, saying: "I'm concerned that the decision was politically motivated more to prevent civil unrest than to serve justice.

Chase's line of reasoning has been popularized by figures like Fox News' Tucker Carlson, who cast doubt on the Chauvin jury's verdict on his Tuesday [April 20] night show in the same way.

Speaking Tuesday, she said: "I had the audacity to attend the January 6 rally in DC and I called the peaceful protesters patriots, because they are."

michaelskis

Cyburbian
On April 29th, President Biden will have in office for 100 days. My question to you is how has he done so far. Has he completed what you thought/hoped he would?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
On April 29th, President Biden will have in office for 100 days. My question to you is how has he done so far. Has he completed what you thought/hoped he would?
I haven't once cared what he put on Twitter. Which honestly is everything I hoped it would be.

I don't know what any President is "supposed" to do in 100 days, but my hope was less ugly rhetoric, and we are a world away from what was going on the last four years.

I haven't once in the last 100 days had to explain to my children that although he is our President, you don't speak like that, and you don't treat people like that.

Sure Biden is fine.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^I think his approach has been more pragmatic knowing that's there so much damage control that needs to be done. You can't undo everything with the swipe of a sharpie.

Today is the 1 year anniversary of Dr. tRump suggesting we inject bleach. This gave us a new warning label on bleach containers. WINNER!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok... Biden is an idiot. There are a lot of good things in his new environmental policy, but then he went off the deep end with a 90% reduction in meat consumption and only 1 burger per month.
Next he will praising the work of Ancel Keys.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Ok... Biden is an idiot. There are a lot of good things in his new environmental policy, but then he went off the deep end with a 90% reduction in meat consumption and only 1 burger per month.
I mean they are goals. I personally am not going to stop eating meat anytime soon. I would imagine you won't either. So these goals aren't going to affect us.

I agree that we should probably focus on the business side of environmental policy, but in the end there is no "right" way to work through the necessary changes that we will likely need to make to get on the right path towards helping make climate change less.

--

Also, Ted Cruz is priceless. That guy is the epitome of everything that is wrong with politics. How do Texans continue to vote him in? Yikes.

--

I am also interested in views on the attempt to tax capital gains more in line with income. I have read this line, or something similar on many sites: "Those taking in $1 million or more will get hit with a levy of up to 43.4% on their capital gains. The last time rates got close to that, Jimmy Carter was president." Personally, I don't think that it should be taxed higher, only the same. I get the concept of incentivizing putting money in the stock market, but that is really the problem, not the solution. We should allow better retirement vehicles and allow those to be taxed differently (or not at all).

Can you imagine if the government allowed each person to put say $20,000 per year into a retirement vehicle that wasn't ever allowed to be taxed. How many people would put as much as they could into that vehicle, knowing that the government couldn't come after that money? Except for the fact that the government would change their minds and tax it in the future anyways...

I think our taxation system is pretty broken, and it incentivizes a lot of the wrong moves if we really are trying to help raise funds and share the load. I am not sure what the solution is, but we aren't even close to getting there.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I mean they are goals. ...

Also, Ted Cruz is priceless. That guy is the epitome of everything that is wrong with politics. How do Texans continue to vote him in? Yikes.
Ron Johnson is right up there too.

Sen. Johnson on others getting shots: ‘What do you care?’​

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

MD Planner

Cyburbian
And that's how it works. Somebody makes up some outrageous shit, others post it as gospel and now we're off and running with a new narrative. I swear to God the way people go off half-cocked drives me crazy. I mean c'mon man. If something sounds so completely outrageous don't you think you'd want to verify that it's accurate? Regular folks bitch about the media all the time posting stuff without verifying but they have no problem doing it themselves. Aye carumba. :r:

Planit

Cyburbian
Posted on Beer Thread

A Republican blasts Biden for the announcement and says we'll all drink plant based beer. Guess what, I only drink plant based beer. My beer contains barley, hops, well you know 'plants' & I have yet to find any meat based beer on the market and probably wouldn't drink it.

Bubba

Cyburbian

In case it's behind a paywall:

Caitlyn Jenner filed paperwork for a California gubernatorial run Friday morning.

In an announcement titled “I’m In!” on her campaign website, Jenner said, “California has been my home for nearly 50 years. I came here because I knew that anyone, regardless of their background or station in life, could turn their dreams into reality. But for the past decade, we have seen the glimmer of the Golden State reduced by one-party rule that places politics over progress and special interests over people. Sacramento needs an honest leader with a clear vision.”

Jenner is a former Olympic decathlete and reality TV star. A longtime Republican, Jenner is seeking to replace Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom in a recall election.

According to Axios, Jenner has assembled a team of top GOP operatives, including Tony Fabrizio, the top pollster on Donald Trump’s 2016 and 2020 campaigns; Ryan Erwin, founder of RedRock Strategies; and Tyler Deaton, president of Allegiance Strategies.

Also on her team are Steven Cheung, a former Trump White House and campaign communications hand who worked on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s successful 2003 recall campaign. Trump’s former campaign manager Brad Parscale, a friend of Jenner’s, has helped her assemble her team but doesn’t plan to take an official title on the campaign.

On Friday, The Associated Press reported California now has the nation’s lowest COVID-19 infection rate, even as it has moved quickly to reopen more businesses with greater customer counts and allow larger gatherings.

At the peak of California’s winter surge that followed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s, the state was recording 40,000 new cases daily and well above 500 deaths per day. Those numbers have dwindled to 2,300 new cases and 68 deaths daily.

The state surpassed Hawaii on Thursday with the lowest average number of cases per capita in the past two weeks, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. One in every 2,416 people in California tested positive in the past week. At the other end of the spectrum, one in every 223 people in Michigan was diagnosed with the virus.

Newsom has been allowing businesses and schools to reopen by county based on case levels. At different points in the pandemic, he has faced heavy criticism for being too restrictive, and now some worry he is moving too quickly. Newsom said he plans to lift most remaining coronavirus restrictions by June 15.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
And that's how it works. Somebody makes up some outrageous shit, others post it as gospel and now we're off and running with a new narrative. I swear to God the way people go off half-cocked drives me crazy. I mean c'mon man. If something sounds so completely outrageous don't you think you'd want to verify that it's accurate? Regular folks bitch about the media all the time posting stuff without verifying but they have no problem doing it themselves. Aye carumba. :r:
You may be correct. Let's see what it actually says:
  • Leading the Agriculture Innovation Mission for Climate. The United States will lead the creation of the Agriculture Innovation Mission for Climate along with the United Arab Emirates and in coordination with several other partner countries. The goal of this initiative is to accelerate innovation and research and development in agricultural and food systems in order to spur low-carbon growth and enhance food security. The initiative will be advanced at the UN Food Systems Summit in September 2021 and launched at COP26 in November 2021 through the UK’s COP26 Campaign for Nature.
But where did the meat reduction claim come from? According to Newsweek, it came from the British.

So, it will be really interesting to see how we will be able to obtain the environmental change that President Biden wants to see. One solution is to change up how meat production operates in the US to require natural grazing of livestock instead of factory farms. There have been studies that show that it is not only better on the environment and has the ability to maintain the same yield, but it also produces better quality and healthier meat. But this would still need to be done in combination with several other things as well (ie affordable electric cars, solar and wind energy production, enhanced urban tree canopy, improved public transportation options....)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Are we in the "Agenda 21" times again!!?? :r:
Yes. Anything that moves the US towards meeting world needs or things that are good for the world a whole (i.e. climate policy, nuclear policy, etc.) is going to get the "WE ARE CONTROLLED BY THE UN" crowd back up and running.

Everyone wants the US to be the leader of the free world, until it requires us to lead the free world. Than it seems they would prefer we go with America First, and ignore the world. Not sure that can work...

Planit

Cyburbian

Fox News anchor John Roberts has said on air that the story was false.

I wonder if Tucker, Sean & Laura will follow suit.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

This whole thing is odd. Now Epicurious (which I like a lot) has said they won't have any new recipes with beef in them. I mean it is false to blame this on Biden, but there is a clear misunderstanding as to what we can and cannot do to help make climate change better. I wish we could all use the same facts to work towards a solution. When Fox News doesn't even want to believe any science, we get to a place where lots of people just don't want to listen to anything and go into their safe space.

Although I don't doubt that less beef could help us move the curve, it is not what we should be focusing on, when there are much easier ways to help curb this growth that people can easily get behind as an economic development project -- solar / wind / upgraded more efficient grid, etc.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I mean....pop culture has already given us a solution to climate change...

scientists-explain-what-would-really-happen-to-world-following-thanos-snap-infinity-war-1556173702.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This whole thing is odd. Now Epicurious (which I like a lot) has said they won't have any new recipes with beef in them. I mean it is false to blame this on Biden, but there is a clear misunderstanding as to what we can and cannot do to help make climate change better. I wish we could all use the same facts to work towards a solution. When Fox News doesn't even want to believe any science, we get to a place where lots of people just don't want to listen to anything and go into their safe space.

Although I don't doubt that less beef could help us move the curve, it is not what we should be focusing on, when there are much easier ways to help curb this growth that people can easily get behind as an economic development project -- solar / wind / upgraded more efficient grid, etc.

You are correct that the whole thing is odd. University of Michigan also has a study pushing for the reduction of meat consumption for environmental protection and Bill Gates is pushing for synthetic meat.

Planit

Cyburbian
Let's move on from plant based beer and no hamburgers shall we?

Arizona Senate Republicans hired Cyber Ninjas to hold a recount of the 2020 election, with no oversight or any other sense of transparency. The company is out of Florida and is owned by a tRump supporting, conspiracy theorist, and 'Stop The Steal' backer that has said he'll find 200,000 votes for tRump.

DVD what the hell is going on there?

Veloise

Cyburbian

Trigger warning: Obama photo

imrs.php

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Let's move on from plant based beer and no hamburgers shall we?

Arizona Senate Republicans hired Cyber Ninjas to hold a recount of the 2020 election, with no oversight or any other sense of transparency. The company is out of Florida and is owned by a tRump supporting, conspiracy theorist, and 'Stop The Steal' backer that has said he'll find 200,000 votes for tRump.

DVD what the hell is going on there?
Seems the 'recount' effort is NOT on the up and up, and the group is refusing to disclose how they're conducting this recount after journalists observed counters using blue pens (instead of red pens which counting machines can't read) to mark up ballots in clear violation of AZ election law.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Nope...

The plot thickens...

How does the plot thicken? It's not the government telling them to do something. A PRIVATE company made a decision that's not illegal. So what's the big deal? Businesses make decisions all the time. Some bite them in the wallet and some make the wallet fatter. That's life.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How does the plot thicken? It's not the government telling them to do something. A PRIVATE company made a decision that's not illegal. So what's the big deal? Businesses make decisions all the time. Some bite them in the wallet and some make the wallet fatter. That's life.
It thickens in that this is a recent event and directly correlates with the misinformation regarding the details of what the President proposed. I agree that he is not directly proposing the reduction in meat consumption as part of environmental preservation. However it is strange that this came out in the shadow of his proposal.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It thickens in that this is a recent event and directly correlates with the misinformation regarding the details of what the President proposed. I agree that he is not directly proposing the reduction in meat consumption as part of environmental preservation. However it is strange that this came out in the shadow of his proposal.
Coincidence is seldom causality.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Never said it was causality... but I think it is more than coincidence.

Regardless of where it is coming from, there is an anti-meat push right now in the name of environmental preservation. But once again, science has shown that you can still get the same yields with open grazing which is far more environmental friendly.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^But FoxNews has admitted - on air - the burger story, as well as the Harris book 'welcome kit' are false. Can't figure out why the story is still being pushed - oh wait never mind - Front Page false news followed by a back page correction.
I think there's another story too, but can't/don't care enough to look for it. Surprisingly there is nothing about this on the FoxNews website.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
^^^But FoxNews has admitted - on air - the burger story, as well as the Harris book 'welcome kit' are false. Can't figure out why the story is still being pushed - oh wait never mind - Front Page false news followed by a back page correction.
I think there's another story too, but can't/don't care enough to look for it. Surprisingly there is nothing about this on the FoxNews website.
I never saw the Fox News Story. I follow Dr. Paul Saladino on Social Media and he was talking about it. I don't know where he saw it, but when I did a search, this came up:

There was also references THIS STUDY from University of Michigan regarding environmental impacts of Plant Based Meat vs Factory Farms from a few years ago.

Finally, there is a push from Bill Gates to do away with real meat in western countries.

Just because Biden didn't say the words does not mean that there is not a movement behind that idea.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just because Biden didn't say the words does not mean that there is not a movement behind that idea.
I think other folks might be thinking quietly to themselves that you keep moving the goalpost. If I recall correctly, you started out by saying unprompted:
michaelskis said:
Which happens to be a Fox talking point as well. I'm not saying you bringing that up is a case of causality.... just that it's more than a coincidence.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I think other folks might be thinking quietly to themselves that you keep moving the goalpost.

There is a big difference between groups recognizing that meat production isn't exactly the greatest for the climate and claiming Biden said we can only eat one burger a month.

I like meat, and probably eat red meat much more than I should. That said, I can certainly understand the environmental impacts associated with that activity - plus, meat, milk, and egg farming is pretty nasty stuff, and I've met different ranchers that won't touch their products. But I'll remain blissfully ignorant of how the proverbial sausage is made for the time being.