The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Why do we still do the SOTU? It is really a relic of old times that provide very little value. I like it in that it allows the President to explain his goals and objectives, but that certainly could occur in other ways or other places. The standing and clapping is just really offputting.
I agree that there should not be this big elaborate televised speech anymore with a televised opposing party response. Section II article 3 clause 1 of the Constitution states "that from time to time the president “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” It does not set a time period and it does not say it shall be in person. In fact there have only there have been only 95 in-person annual messages/state of the union addresses.

The D's put out a plan that gives 5.7 billion, just not for the wall as Trump wants it. This is just petty. Both sides are really digging in and only hurting the Federal workers. I will say that the D's certainly feel like they are doing it for a solid reason, the R's that I have spoken to are doing it because they want a wall, but also because "those terrible Federal workers knew what the risks were, and they should plan for being out of work... I mean I was laid off once and I had to find another job". Ugh.
I have no doubt that the Democrats are trying to work with Trump on this and I am disappointed that the Republicans in the house are unwilling to put their foot down and tell Trump to compromise or resign.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have no doubt that the Democrats are trying to work with Trump on this and I am disappointed that the Republicans in the house are unwilling to put their foot down and tell Trump to compromise or resign.
I'm more disappointed in the GOP in congress. They should wake up and realize they are an independent branch of government and don't have to follow the president. Just because the pres claims to be an R (I say claims because I don't think he really cares about GOP values) doesn't make him the GOP leader. Mr. Turtle (Mitch) could easily say this is what the GOP wants to accomplish. It might not line up with the pres, but we'll get the votes to get it through congress. Yep, that might take some compromise. Stop supporting some dumb political white elephant like a wall just because the pres does.

Also, to solve the KY school protest thing and all future things like that there should be an app that lets you push a button to reach out and smack the idiot on TV. Think of the millions of slaps both sides would get. No one will ever want to get on TV again. Yeah it's extreme, but don't you just feeling like smacking everyone upside the head once in a while.

It stinks that federal employees can't legally strike during situations like this.

I keep seeing news articles about "China lands on the moon" or "China 3-D prints a concrete bridge" or "China does this new and exciting thing" and over here it's like "U.S. still in the dumpster fire of its own making."

Hink

OH....IO
It stinks that federal employees can't legally strike during situations like this.

I keep seeing news articles about "China lands on the moon" or "China 3-D prints a concrete bridge" or "China does this new and exciting thing" and over here it's like "U.S. still in the dumpster fire of its own making."
China is willing to spend government money on new and exciting ideas. We are not. We are more worried about who gets credit for the government even being open.

AG74683

Cyburbian
China is willing to spend government money on new and exciting ideas. We are not. We are more worried about who gets credit for the government even being open.
Well it's not just that, what repercussions are there if the Chinese government suddenly decided to spend 100 billion on "The Great Wall of China 2"? There are none. Anyone want to revolt over that? Well just ask Tank Man how well that worked out for him....but you can't because he was most likely erased from existence, the picture being the only proof of his life. He probably would have been better off getting mushed into paste like countless others and washed down the sewer drains rather than be subject to the torture he probably received.

Frankly, we're just lucky that the Chinese government sees merit in investing in exploring the dark side of the moon or 3-D printing a concrete bridge. Yes, the NPC exists, but it's not much more than a simple rubber stamp. It's still a Communist ruled country and Xi Jinping no longer has term limits so he could theoretically be president until he dies. It's a blessing that he seems to have a modicum of common sense and understands that China's position as a global partner is better in the long term than it would be as an outright enemy to the western world like the CCCP was.

I spoke with a buddy from back home who is a "non essential" federal employee with the Forest Service, and he went out and found a job working for an energy company because he said that based on what his bosses have told him that the government won't be opening up anytime soon. He was lucky and only missed one paycheck, but it put a serious dent in his savings.

What is your prediction on when this will will end?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Planit

Cyburbian
Roger Stone was arrested in his Ft. Lauderdale home this morning. That brings the number to 6 direct tRump campaign associates arrested & indicted - Stone, Manafort, Gates, Flynn, Cohen & Papadopoulos.

Sarah said none of this has to do with pResident tRump & the White House. Nothing for tRump to worry about - HA!.

I can't wait to hear how Rudy mangles his next interview.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Looks like some sort of short term agreement was reached to end the govt. shutdown...at least for three weeks. No funding for any wall, but I expect Trump will throw another hissy and shut down government again in three weeks time when no funding is approved for his highly partisan, impractical, and ultimately unpopular with the American public pet project.

Hink

OH....IO
Yea, his speech couldn't just be positive, he had to push and push again.

With that said this is refreshing to have Ted Cruz called out for his hypocrisy... as stated by Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado:

“Now it’s his business, not my business, why he supports a president who wants to erect a medieval barrier on the border of Texas,” Bennet said of Cruz and Trump. “Who wants to use eminent domain to build that wall, who wants to declare an unconstitutional emergency to build that wall. That’s the business of the senator from Texas. I can assure you that in Colorado if a president said he was going to use eminent domain to erect a barrier across the state of Colorado, across the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, he was going to steal the property of our farmers and ranchers to build his medieval wall, there wouldn’t be an elected leader from our state that would support that idea. Which goes to my final point, how ludicrous it is that this government is shut down over a promise that the president of the United States couldn’t keep, and that America is not interested in having him keep. This idea that he was going to build a medieval wall across the southern border of Texas, take it from the farmers and ranchers that were there and have the Mexicans pay for it isn’t true. That’s why we’re here.”

Personally, I am surprised that Trump gave in, but I fear it is duct tape on a leaking water tank. I do not have much confidence that everyone will come to terms with budget bill before Feb 15th and the next shutdown will be much longer than this one. I just hope the GOP grows a backbone and tells Trump to sign the bill or get out of the WH.

Hink

OH....IO
Personally, I am surprised that Trump gave in, but I fear it is duct tape on a leaking water tank. I do not have much confidence that everyone will come to terms with budget bill before Feb 15th and the next shutdown will be much longer than this one. I just hope the GOP grows a backbone and tells Trump to sign the bill or get out of the WH.
Nothing has changed. The pressure got to be too high. Nothing has changed though. We will get to the end of three weeks and they will pass a bill without wall funding, then Trump will go the Emergency route and "everyone" wins. Then the courts will have their say, but Trump will blame them, even though he will not get what he wants.

Also our democracy will be hurt by allowing a President to go around Congress because he isn't getting his way. Checks and balances people, checks and balances. He shouldn't be allowed to get his way if he can't negotiate with Congress. Obama had to negotiate with a very hostile Republican Congress. Trump should be required to as well. So should Bloomberg or whoever is our President in 2020.

Planit

Cyburbian
Asked if he'd raise taxes on corporations as president, Howard Schultz says: "I don't want to talk in the hypothetical about what I would do if I was president."https://t.co/Db6OQriTlQ

— Sahil Kapur (@sahilkapur) January 28, 2019

So this guy is "running for president" but doesn't want to talk about what he'd do if he was president. Got it? Good.

Hink

OH....IO
Asked if he'd raise taxes on corporations as president, Howard Schultz says: "I don't want to talk in the hypothetical about what I would do if I was president."https://t.co/Db6OQriTlQ

— Sahil Kapur (@sahilkapur) January 28, 2019

So this guy is "running for president" but doesn't want to talk about what he'd do if he was president. Got it? Good.
He is running to make the Democrats not shoot themselves in the foot. He won't actually stay in, but he will stay in long enough to assure that the D's pick a centrist candidate and not someone on the far left like AOC or someone crazy progressive like her.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My point wasn't super clear, sorry. My point is her (or the Democratic Party) pushing for more progressive candidates like her. Not actually her.
I disagree. If they really were, Pelosi wouldn't be the Speaker. I think most of the long term democrats see people like AOC, Harris, Gabbard, and Sanders as outliers who threaten to disrupt the establishment. There are policies and protocols even for democrats and these folks push the envelope. From what I've read, there is a significant number of House democrats that dislike AOC. I'd say I'm relatively centrist, but if I were to classify myself in one of the two parties, I'd be a conservative democrat. I cannot stand AOC to be honest. She is trying way too hard without any real experience and needs to chill out. She is wearing out her welcome fast.

Dem's need a great uniter. Someone who can bring in the center of both parties. Those new progressives are just too progressive for those in the middle or even slightly right. None of those folks above will get any respect from the right, save for Sanders, simply because he's got experience. If they want to establish a long term base of power, they need someone who can work with both sides and get conservatives to forget that they are a Democrat.