The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Gedunker

Moderating
Apparently my tolerance for listening to Trump drone on and on is about 72 minutes, because I missed the end of the speech and the Democratic response as well. However, I did certainly enjoy the irony of Trump taking credit for the increase in women in the workforce and the Congressional Democratic women in white standing and cheering. I'm surprised Trump figured it out as quickly as he did ...

I'm also pleased his comment about "political investigations" got no applause (mostly) from both sides.

AG74683

Cyburbian
And honestly, I was a bit hopeful about the SOTU being cancelled altogether. I think it is an obsolete and useless practice that doesn't do anything to further the conversation or negotiations.
I want to see it become something more like FDR's fireside chats. An update on what the government is doing, important events that might be missed in mainstream "reality" media. You know, the actual state of the union! It's a political grandstanding measure now, nothing like it should be. I'm not against it being televised, but the content is just complete drivel.

I'm also pleased his comment about "political investigations" got no applause (mostly) from both sides.
IIRC the last president who called for an end to "political investigations" during the SOTU was Richard Nixon, and that worked real well for him.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
They're clearly all on damage control. The A.G. is probably in the best position to recover from this. He got the information out on his terms so he's controlling the narrative and will be in the best position to look like he's evolved and become a more aware person. Northam (the governor) would've been able to bounce back if he hadn't done this weird apology and then took it back and said he wasn't the person in the photo after all thing.

I'm not sure what to think about the Lt. Governor. I really don't want to believe it's true, but it's sounding pretty damning at this point. I have been sexually assaulted, so I definitely don't want to try to discredit the woman that's coming forward just because I'm otherwise predisposed to like him as a politician, but I also think that just because she was uncomfortable doesn't mean that it's sexual assault. You can both consent and be uncomfortable at the same time. But if things happened the way she claims they did, it was clearly assault. I do think that his response has been very appropriate so far IF his account of events is accurate.

DVD

Cyburbian
Every time I see scandals and things like this I think of the Jim Carey movie Liar Liar. So thanks for taking the attention off other states.

Hink

OH....IO
Anyone else seeing the Ocasio-Cortez ethics role-play video all over their facebook feeds today?

I have to say.... she is winning.

I also have to say that it looks bad for the Republicans to just straight up say they don't support making voting easier, or to make Voting Day a national holiday, because the more people who vote means they likely won't win. Is that not amazing? Accepting that your ideas can't win you elections?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't always agree with the NYT editorial board, but I think this time they've at least identified the most important question Dems face in 2020: are they looking for a fighter or a healer?

Fart of the Deal:

December - Dems put $1.8 billion in funding proposal. tRump said "No. I'll shutdown the govt."
February - Dems put $1.6 billion in funding proposal. tRump said "I don't like it, but there won't be a shutdown"

As Colbert put it - that's a great deal. You got less than before!