• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Saturday involved a long trip for a Karate competition. Having been in Tae myself when I was younger, it was interesting. Let me tell you, the little ones can have at pretty good.:oops:. She ended up getting a medal on form. However, she's not much into sparing.
My oldest took tkd for a bit and she loved the forms and was really good at memorizing the steps right away after doing it just once or twice. When we went to her first competition she did well and earned a medal on forms and watched some kids do sparing and she was adamant that she NEVER wanted to try that.

We kept at the tkd for a few more months and she moved up to a belt level that includes sparing. She had been going for about a year without a break in this go round and the plan was to take a break for a few months after her belt testing but we still had a couple weeks left in what we had paid for so we kept going and she had to do sparing. She was scared and she was by far the smallest of the orange belts but the first time she did it, she loved it and was hooked again so we kept going for a couple more months before finally taking a break.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My oldest took tkd for a bit and she loved the forms and was really good at memorizing the steps right away after doing it just once or twice. When we went to her first competition she did well and earned a medal on forms and watched some kids do sparing and she was adamant that she NEVER wanted to try that.

We kept at the tkd for a few more months and she moved up to a belt level that includes sparing. She had been going for about a year without a break in this go round and the plan was to take a break for a few months after her belt testing but we still had a couple weeks left in what we had paid for so we kept going and she had to do sparing. She was scared and she was by far the smallest of the orange belts but the first time she did it, she loved it and was hooked again so we kept going for a couple more months before finally taking a break.
There was sparing at the tournament and she did it. She would throw good kicks. She just wouldn't connect with them.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My oldest son and my fiance's boys all take kung fu, and I enjoy watching my sometimes-hesitant / self-doubting ten year old having fun doing sumo wrestling and sparring at the tournaments. I also really like watching the 4-6 year olds doing "animal" forms. They are adorable.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Actually...in this instance the correct terminology is 'adorbs'.

As in - I also really like watching the 4-6 year olds doing "animal" forms. They are adorbs.

*not going to say it
*not going to say it
*not going to say it

You are right, they are totes adorbs!!

*Ugh slaps forehead

kjel

Super Moderator
Generally RT helps Mini with her homework. She's out of town this week so it's been on me. She's in 1st grade this year and the homework is twice as much as it used to be and it's also way more advanced. Last night she had an entire worksheet of subtraction problems that required borrowing. After doing the first few with her she did the rest on her own and then I gave her the calculator to double check her work. She also had spelling words to write and a book to read. Tonight is Round 1 spelling sentences, reading textbook chapter + questions answered, another math worksheet, and another book to read if she (or I) haven't had a meltdown at that point.

I really dislike the long weekend and vacation break special projects which are as much work for me as they are for her.

kms

Cyburbian
Generally RT helps Mini with her homework. She's out of town this week so it's been on me. She's in 1st grade this year and the homework is twice as much as it used to be and it's also way more advanced. Last night she had an entire worksheet of subtraction problems that required borrowing. After doing the first few with her she did the rest on her own and then I gave her the calculator to double check her work. She also had spelling words to write and a book to read. Tonight is Round 1 spelling sentences, reading textbook chapter + questions answered, another math worksheet, and another book to read if she (or I) haven't had a meltdown at that point.

I really dislike the long weekend and vacation break special projects which are as much work for me as they are for her.
I told my daughters principal,- nun, that if I ever thought homework was excessive, I’d excuse her from doing and and the teachers could deal with me.

Jen

Cyburbian

is this AP 1st grade? that's some serious learning - and stressing going on.

I feel for ya! now go out and play!

DVD

Cyburbian
Congrats! Hope you have the money to pay for it all. Oh wait, that's the father of the bride. Lucky you!

I'm in the middle of the spectrum. Just got my wife to leave the kids at home for a few hours so we could go to the symphony. She survived it.

Planit

Cyburbian
Mrs. P was looking for a particular shirt to wear Saturday and couldn't find it. She went into The Girl's closet and there it was...along with 6 or 7 others and 3 pairs of shoes. She gathered them and moved them back into her own closet.

Sunday morning The Girl walked back into Mrs. P's closet and picked up a pair of sandals and another shirt.

I just watched and said nothing. There is no way I'm getting in the middle of this one.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
So my son advised me (while shouting) a short while ago that "I don't love him" and "that I hate him". My offense? Forcing him to go to school while he was claiming to be sick (a migraine). He's missed 9 days so far this school year - only 3 of them legit in my opinion. So yes, I am a bad parent.

kjel

Super Moderator
So my son advised me (while shouting) a short while ago that "I don't love him" and "that I hate him". My offense? Forcing him to go to school while he was claiming to be sick (a migraine). He's missed 9 days so far this school year - only 3 of them legit in my opinion. So yes, I am a bad parent.
Like I tell mine, unless you are vomiting, have diarrhea, or a fever you are going to school. In our district if you miss 10 days you don't get promoted to the next grade (doctor's notes are the only accepted excused absences).

She was about 10 minutes late a few weeks ago because she was being an extreme pill in the morning. When we got to the school I had to walk her in so she could get a tardy slip. The attendance clerk asked her why she was late and she said, "I just couldn't get it together this morning." The clerk stifled a laugh, said she understood, and wrote "traffic" on the tardy slip.