• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Do kids play outside with neighborhood kids anymore? Or is that a thing of the past?
There aren't many elementary-aged kids in our neighborhood (but the numbers seem to be growing) but there are a couple of clusters with a few kids all about the same age and there are always kids playing outside those houses, all year long. I rarely see an adult present, but I'm sure somebody pokes their head out from time to time. Our oldest is 8 and in 3rd grade, there is another girl across the street who is a few months older but she goes to a different school. That little girl is always outside playing by herself and I've tried to convince my daughter to just walk over and say hi but she's too shy. The couple of times they did play together was because I dragged her over there or the neighbor's mom dragged her across to our yard and they had a good time. I really need to convince my daughter to be more social but I would have had the same problem when I was her age, especially since I'm not exactly friends with the mom across the street. Maybe next time we make s'mores if we see her outside, we'll invite her over.

There are a few kids in my daughter's grade and in her school in our neighborhood now, but it's a pretty big neighborhood and they are all pretty well spread out. I think this summer she'll be old enough that she can go to their houses on her own if she wants. I'm sure she'll like that, especially since one of them has a pool!

Our youngest daughter is 3 and there is a little girl who is maybe 2 and a half in the other house across the street and a 4 year old girl next door to us. The 4-year-old loves when our daughter is outside and always comes over to play when she sees ours outside. Our daughter really enjoys seeing her too. Our daughter really likes playing with the 2-year-old when she sees her outside but our daughter is big and that girl is little and I think ours intimidates her a bit.

It will be nice if all these kids are here in these houses for the long haul though since we'll have our own little cluster of similarly-aged kids.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

DVD

Cyburbian
Have children? Here’s how kids ruin your romantic relationship

Is this true ? Has this happened ?
My oldest is an ace at ruining romantic time ever since she was born. Get the thought in your head and she doesn't sleep for the night. Fast forward a few years...she's spending the night at a friends house and decides she need to come home. She's got a fricken radar for this stuff.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I had a laugh out loud moment a few days ago. I overheard Junior and a buddy talking in the other room. Junior made a reference to the fairy tale 'the Princess and the Pea' and when his buddy indicated he wasn't familiar with it, Junior referred to it as "its a story about some high-maintenance princess who could feel a pea under 20 mattresses." I had to laugh. Wonder where he got that from?

Last edited:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I had a laugh out loud moment a few days ago. I overheard Junior and a buddy talking in the other room. Junior made a reference to the fairy tale 'the Princess and the Pea' and when his buddy indicated he wasn't familiar with it, Junior referred to it as "its a story about some high-maintenance princess who could feel a pea under 20 mattresses." I had to laugh. Wonder where he got that from?
And he's not wrong!

My four-year old asked for quiet in the car the other day so he could "meditate." I laughed and let him have some quiet. I later asked where he learned about meditation, expecting him to say school or something. Nope, it was from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

kjel

Super Moderator
My 7 year old was doing her homework with my 25 year old and suddenly says "Grownups have babies. I don't have a baby because I'm not a grownup." Big sister agrees with her. "Sister, you're a grown up but I don't think you NEED a baby." Big sister says "You got that right!"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, we learned this week that our dream of having all the kids at the same school for a year will never become reality. The principal has determined that our son with Autism will need to attend a different school next fall because they don't have the program and resources necessary to help him. More so, even with this being his geographically assigned school, she has the final say in the decision despite our opposition.

More so, it will become a legalistic nightmare for us because the transportation system that the county school system uses is horrific. Last time we gave up dealing with the ineffective complaint system and decided to amend our schedules and drive him ourselves.

kjel

Super Moderator
Well, we learned this week that our dream of having all the kids at the same school for a year will never become reality. The principal has determined that our son with Autism will need to attend a different school next fall because they don't have the program and resources necessary to help him. More so, even with this being his geographically assigned school, she has the final say in the decision despite our opposition.

More so, it will become a legalistic nightmare for us because the transportation system that the county school system uses is horrific. Last time we gave up dealing with the ineffective complaint system and decided to amend our schedules and drive him ourselves.
My heart goes out to you and every parent that has a child with special needs and an IEP in trying to get the education and services they need to be successful.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Since I started my new job, my husband has had more responsibility to get our foster daughter ready for school. I found out this morning that he hasn't been making her brush her teeth before school. It's a battle, so I've chosen not to fight it twice a day, but she knows that she's expected to do it in the morning. But she won't do it unless she's "encouraged."

He tells me this morning that she should only have to do it in the evenings after she's been eating food all day. My response to that is 1 - She's always done it in the mornings, and 2 - She's six and is literally in people's faces all day. But the real issue is that while he may think that, I didn't know she wasn't brushing her teeth in the morning, and he didn't tell me she needed to brush her teeth at night, so she's basically gone a week and a half without brushing her teeth...

DVD

Cyburbian
I go with brushing twice a day. Evening to get rid of that food junk and morning to get rid of morning breath.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I brush my teeth probably five times a day (right after waking up, after meals (or whenever I get home after eating out), and prior to going to bed). But, that's just me.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'm a 2x a day-er generally, but definitely prioritize morning brushing. CCG, while a wonderful person, is not a regular tooth brusher. :sick: Chalk that up under things I didn't know when we got married.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I'm a 2x a day-er generally, but definitely prioritize morning brushing. CCG, while a wonderful person, is not a regular tooth brusher. :sick: Chalk that up under things I didn't know when we got married.
Does he chew tobacco/snuff? (something tells me no)

Planit

Cyburbian
Isn't there a Ren & Stimpy toothache or dentist episode?

kms

Cyburbian
Wake them both before you leave to eat breakfast and brush their teeth. That’ll fix them.

kjel

Super Moderator
Since I started my new job, my husband has had more responsibility to get our foster daughter ready for school. I found out this morning that he hasn't been making her brush her teeth before school. It's a battle, so I've chosen not to fight it twice a day, but she knows that she's expected to do it in the morning. But she won't do it unless she's "encouraged."

He tells me this morning that she should only have to do it in the evenings after she's been eating food all day. My response to that is 1 - She's always done it in the mornings, and 2 - She's six and is literally in people's faces all day. But the real issue is that while he may think that, I didn't know she wasn't brushing her teeth in the morning, and he didn't tell me she needed to brush her teeth at night, so she's basically gone a week and a half without brushing her teeth...
I battle this with my 7 year old too so it's not just you. She has to brush them at night right before bed and use her fluoride rinse. Morning is encouraged but I don't make a state case about it.