• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Do kids play outside with neighborhood kids anymore? Or is that a thing of the past?
There aren't many elementary-aged kids in our neighborhood (but the numbers seem to be growing) but there are a couple of clusters with a few kids all about the same age and there are always kids playing outside those houses, all year long. I rarely see an adult present, but I'm sure somebody pokes their head out from time to time. Our oldest is 8 and in 3rd grade, there is another girl across the street who is a few months older but she goes to a different school. That little girl is always outside playing by herself and I've tried to convince my daughter to just walk over and say hi but she's too shy. The couple of times they did play together was because I dragged her over there or the neighbor's mom dragged her across to our yard and they had a good time. I really need to convince my daughter to be more social but I would have had the same problem when I was her age, especially since I'm not exactly friends with the mom across the street. Maybe next time we make s'mores if we see her outside, we'll invite her over.

There are a few kids in my daughter's grade and in her school in our neighborhood now, but it's a pretty big neighborhood and they are all pretty well spread out. I think this summer she'll be old enough that she can go to their houses on her own if she wants. I'm sure she'll like that, especially since one of them has a pool!

Our youngest daughter is 3 and there is a little girl who is maybe 2 and a half in the other house across the street and a 4 year old girl next door to us. The 4-year-old loves when our daughter is outside and always comes over to play when she sees ours outside. Our daughter really enjoys seeing her too. Our daughter really likes playing with the 2-year-old when she sees her outside but our daughter is big and that girl is little and I think ours intimidates her a bit.

It will be nice if all these kids are here in these houses for the long haul though since we'll have our own little cluster of similarly-aged kids.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

DVD

Cyburbian
Have children? Here’s how kids ruin your romantic relationship

Is this true ? Has this happened ?
My oldest is an ace at ruining romantic time ever since she was born. Get the thought in your head and she doesn't sleep for the night. Fast forward a few years...she's spending the night at a friends house and decides she need to come home. She's got a fricken radar for this stuff.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I had a laugh out loud moment a few days ago. I overheard Junior and a buddy talking in the other room. Junior made a reference to the fairy tale 'the Princess and the Pea' and when his buddy indicated he wasn't familiar with it, Junior referred to it as "its a story about some high-maintenance princess who could feel a pea under 20 mattresses." I had to laugh. Wonder where he got that from?

Last edited:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I had a laugh out loud moment a few days ago. I overheard Junior and a buddy talking in the other room. Junior made a reference to the fairy tale 'the Princess and the Pea' and when his buddy indicated he wasn't familiar with it, Junior referred to it as "its a story about some high-maintenance princess who could feel a pea under 20 mattresses." I had to laugh. Wonder where he got that from?
And he's not wrong!

My four-year old asked for quiet in the car the other day so he could "meditate." I laughed and let him have some quiet. I later asked where he learned about meditation, expecting him to say school or something. Nope, it was from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 7 year old was doing her homework with my 25 year old and suddenly says "Grownups have babies. I don't have a baby because I'm not a grownup." Big sister agrees with her. "Sister, you're a grown up but I don't think you NEED a baby." Big sister says "You got that right!"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, we learned this week that our dream of having all the kids at the same school for a year will never become reality. The principal has determined that our son with Autism will need to attend a different school next fall because they don't have the program and resources necessary to help him. More so, even with this being his geographically assigned school, she has the final say in the decision despite our opposition.

More so, it will become a legalistic nightmare for us because the transportation system that the county school system uses is horrific. Last time we gave up dealing with the ineffective complaint system and decided to amend our schedules and drive him ourselves.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, we learned this week that our dream of having all the kids at the same school for a year will never become reality. The principal has determined that our son with Autism will need to attend a different school next fall because they don't have the program and resources necessary to help him. More so, even with this being his geographically assigned school, she has the final say in the decision despite our opposition.

More so, it will become a legalistic nightmare for us because the transportation system that the county school system uses is horrific. Last time we gave up dealing with the ineffective complaint system and decided to amend our schedules and drive him ourselves.
My heart goes out to you and every parent that has a child with special needs and an IEP in trying to get the education and services they need to be successful.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Since I started my new job, my husband has had more responsibility to get our foster daughter ready for school. I found out this morning that he hasn't been making her brush her teeth before school. It's a battle, so I've chosen not to fight it twice a day, but she knows that she's expected to do it in the morning. But she won't do it unless she's "encouraged."

He tells me this morning that she should only have to do it in the evenings after she's been eating food all day. My response to that is 1 - She's always done it in the mornings, and 2 - She's six and is literally in people's faces all day. But the real issue is that while he may think that, I didn't know she wasn't brushing her teeth in the morning, and he didn't tell me she needed to brush her teeth at night, so she's basically gone a week and a half without brushing her teeth...

DVD

Cyburbian
I go with brushing twice a day. Evening to get rid of that food junk and morning to get rid of morning breath.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I brush my teeth probably five times a day (right after waking up, after meals (or whenever I get home after eating out), and prior to going to bed). But, that's just me.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'm a 2x a day-er generally, but definitely prioritize morning brushing. CCG, while a wonderful person, is not a regular tooth brusher. :sick: Chalk that up under things I didn't know when we got married.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm a 2x a day-er generally, but definitely prioritize morning brushing. CCG, while a wonderful person, is not a regular tooth brusher. :sick: Chalk that up under things I didn't know when we got married.
Does he chew tobacco/snuff? (something tells me no)

Planit

Cyburbian
Isn't there a Ren & Stimpy toothache or dentist episode?

kms

Cyburbian
Wake them both before you leave to eat breakfast and brush their teeth. That’ll fix them.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since I started my new job, my husband has had more responsibility to get our foster daughter ready for school. I found out this morning that he hasn't been making her brush her teeth before school. It's a battle, so I've chosen not to fight it twice a day, but she knows that she's expected to do it in the morning. But she won't do it unless she's "encouraged."

He tells me this morning that she should only have to do it in the evenings after she's been eating food all day. My response to that is 1 - She's always done it in the mornings, and 2 - She's six and is literally in people's faces all day. But the real issue is that while he may think that, I didn't know she wasn't brushing her teeth in the morning, and he didn't tell me she needed to brush her teeth at night, so she's basically gone a week and a half without brushing her teeth...
I battle this with my 7 year old too so it's not just you. She has to brush them at night right before bed and use her fluoride rinse. Morning is encouraged but I don't make a state case about it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I packed the lunch for my 3rd grader today and we were out of Capri Sun. All we had left were small boxes of apple juice that the 3-year-old typically likes. I enjoy apple juice on occasion so I tossed one in my bag as well. I didn't notice until I went to drink mine right now that the back of the box has Sesame Street characters. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to hear about this from my 3rd grader later today and how she's not a baby and blah blah blah!

shell_waster

Cyburbian
My nine year old is very conscientious about hygiene and brushes twice a day, morning and night. This morning while brushing her teeth I hear talking so I go to investigate to find she's brushing her teeth and face timing a friend. She later tells me that her friend has not brushed her teeth at all during the school year and she's trying to convince her she should brush them regularly. If true, I find that completely nasty but for the life of me think it is accurate knowing the "free-range" parenting in her house.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior is terrible about brushing his teeth. He tends to regard it as some sort of punishment (in fairness he does have a hyperactive gag reflex which may have something to do with this) and will avoid brushing if it is within his power to do so.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Every morning and night is a fight over brushing. We have tried positive reinforcement, explanations, fear, and accepting but still we fight. It is tiring, but still we brush.

I have made it up until last year without any major dental work so my goal is to get Itty Bitty as far as I can take her with good teef.

Tonight we started the Shiny Teeth Club and that seemed to work for tonight. Tomorrow will probably be back to fighting.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Every morning and night is a fight over brushing. We have tried positive reinforcement, explanations, fear, and accepting but still we fight. It is tiring, but still we brush.

I have made it up until last year without any major dental work so my goal is to get Itty Bitty as far as I can take her with good teef.

Tonight we started the Shiny Teeth Club and that seemed to work for tonight. Tomorrow will probably be back to fighting.
Try m&m's. You know, if you brush your teeth I will give you m&m's after. ;)

My kids are required to brush for 2 minutes. They have watches and tattle on each other if they don't do the full 2 minutes. At first this was annoying, but it has worked wonders to keep them in line. Also, I think the flavor of toothpaste you pick is key. Bubblegum is great as long as the kid likes bubblegum.

Veloise

Cyburbian

Just an idea.

Attachments

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

And the next night will be "The Official Gary the Gopher Brushing Award". The following day will include promise of a marshmallow Peep the next day as a bribe. The following day will be she gets to hear daddy read Walter the Farting Dog (using all his funny voices) as a bed time story reward. The following day will result in the loss of Mr. A's Ant Farm privileges for the next two days if she doesn't brush...... It's wearing and requires endless creativity and resourcefulness, but unfortunately it's necessary.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter graduates from HS today. Man, do I feel old and where did the time go? On the other end of the spectrum, I have to get a booster seat for my car.
I have that dichotomy as well :)

The upside is that you have a much better idea of what is truly important the downside is that you realize how much energy you no longer have :roflmao:

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl has excelled in band the last couple years as I have mentioned here before. This year all 3 Drum Majors graduated so they held auditions.

It was announced at last night's Band Banquet that she was named a one of the 3 new Drum Majors and was the only non-rising-senior to be placed.

She was very excited, as are we.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I have that dichotomy as well :)

The upside is that you have a much better idea of what is truly important the downside is that you realize how much energy you no longer have :roflmao:
The younger definitely benefits from my experience with the older. I've also earned to enjoy the small moments and live inside of those moments. The whole being in the moment and not getting distracted.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Apparently there was a little kid Fight Club at our hippy dippy preschool today. Itty Bitty got punched in the tummy by a boy which resulted in Itty Bitty's friend punching said boy in the eye!

A little annoyed that the teacher didn't tell us any of this and we heard it all from Itty Bitty (who I know is a kid but she doesn't tend to like about such things).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Apparently there was a little kid Fight Club at our hippy dippy preschool today. Itty Bitty got punched in the tummy by a boy which resulted in Itty Bitty's friend punching said boy in the eye!

A little annoyed that the teacher didn't tell us any of this and we heard it all from Itty Bitty (who I know is a kid but she doesn't tend to like about such things).
Does Itty Bitty know she just violated the first AND second rules of little kid Fight Club by telling you this? Just saying.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Does Itty Bitty know she just violated the first AND second rules of little kid Fight Club by telling you this? Just saying.
We are planning on reminding her of the rules of little kid Fight Club at bed time tonight. After her tubby with that special soap.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

You are right to be annoyed that the teacher didn't say anything to you. Bella complained about a boy in her kindergarten class pushing her and whatnot. After asking the teacher if she'd seen any such behavior and brushing it off as they just like each other we told her that nobody gets to touch you unless you want them too and it's ok to push back. She did.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Scottie Pippen names 5-year-old in lawsuit over damage to Florida house

being a “failure as parents” for allowing the girl to “deface certain elements of the property with markers, crayons, and/or cause damage of similar nature,” The Daily Beast reported, citing court documents.

zman

Cyburbian
I'm in the magic spot with my 3 year old today where he is too sick to go to Day Care (fever), but not sick enough to snack and play and be loud and have energy (especially after some meds). My wife works from home, so I will take a morning shift to distract the little trout so she can work.
However, he is feeling well enough to help dad with some choring... which means we will spring the travel trailer out of storage and bring her home to begin the process of packing for camping in Montana.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I never knew realized how busy the last week of school was for elementary school kids... probably because I never had any friends and was never in any extracurriculars!

Monday: thankfully nothing special
Tuesday: Brownies -> Girl Scouts cross over ceremony and party
Wednesday: End of year A-B-C lunch for preschooler; end of year class picnic and party for 3rd grader (at the local park/playground that is always a complete mudpit :cursing: )
Thursday: Drama club final performance
Friday: Last day of school half day + promised walk to the ice cream shop after school + birthday party for friend
Saturday: End of year Girl Scouts celebration at the zipline, ropes course place (I've volunteered to chaperone this and I'm actually looking forward to this one)

There is a road that connects our neighborhood to downtown and then to the main road and our daughter's school is just about at the halfway point. My wife and I both feel like we are making about 10 trips back and forth along that road each day lately.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Itty Bitty is at a day camp this week. She has been having a good time but yesterday some kid asked her if she still wears a diaper. They are 6 and 7 yos.

Now I wasn't there so I don't know the context of the comment. Itty Bitty wasn't crying about the comment but seemed a bit confused by it. She is smaller than a lot of kids and has a bit of a speech impediment. So maybe they were just inquiring as to if she was younger. But Itty Bitty is sweet and innocent and has a kind heart. I am concerned about how kids will treat her in the future. Being a parent is hard. 😥

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Itty Bitty is at a day camp this week. She has been having a good time but yesterday some kid asked her if she still wears a diaper. They are 6 and 7 yos.

Now I wasn't there so I don't know the context of the comment. Itty Bitty wasn't crying about the comment but seemed a bit confused by it. She is smaller than a lot of kids and has a bit of a speech impediment. So maybe they were just inquiring as to if she was younger. But Itty Bitty is sweet and innocent and has a kind heart. I am concerned about how kids will treat her in the future. Being a parent is hard. 😥
Allowing your child to experience the shocks of negative social interactions with peers is difficult for a parent but essential to the child's development. We may wish it were not so, but those psychological 'defensive shields' are a fact of life in human development and serve a useful function. It's a fact of life that your daughter will be subject on multiple occasions to negative judgement from her peers during her lifetime and you as a parent can't prevent that, so it's best not to inhibit their formation.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Allowing your child to experience the shocks of negative social interactions with peers is difficult for a parent but essential to the child's development. We may wish it were not so, but those psychological 'defensive shields' are a fact of life in human development and serve a useful function. It's a fact of life that your daughter will be subject on multiple occasions to negative judgement from her peers during her lifetime and you as a parent can't prevent that, so it's best not to inhibit their formation.
I agree. We are doing our best to help her develop skills and coping mechanisms to deal with such situations. But it hurts to know that she is going to be hurt. I know it is part of life. Just concerned that she is going to be a target because of her differences.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Today was the first (half) day of daycare, which is the trial run before my wife goes back to work. It's amazing how hard it has been to find a good place to go and how quickly the timeline crept up, too. My wife is a wreck though, since it was the longest she has been away from our daughter.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Today was the first (half) day of daycare, which is the trial run before my wife goes back to work. It's amazing how hard it has been to find a good place to go and how quickly the timeline crept up, too. My wife is a wreck though, since it was the longest she has been away from our daughter.
It's hard! Sending your baby to daycare is hard, I know. I feel for you guys. Your daughter will have so much fun and make a lot of friends there as she grows, though, and it'll be good.

Today is my youngest son's last day of preschool and I'm all sniffly.