• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Where were the parents / adults ?

9-year-old girl tossed into air by bison at Yellowstone National Park
National Parks have been seeing declining attendance/funding for years. This incident is unlikely to help with that trend.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is going back to school on August 7th early ?

Who remembers going back to school the wednesday after Labor Day ?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Is going back to school on August 7th early ?

Who remembers going back to school the wednesday after Labor Day ?
It's a state law here that public schools can not start before Labor Day. Because touri$m.

Veloise

Cyburbian
It's a state law here that public schools can not start before Labor Day. Because touri$m.
"Since the ban on a pre-Labor Day start went into effect in 2006 in Michigan, hundreds of districts have applied for waivers from the Michigan Department of Education to get permission to start school earlier.
At least 178 school districts are using approved waivers to start school before Labor Day, according to the Michigan Department of Education. Another 28 are awaiting approval.
Many districts say they need the earlier start to align their calendars with dual-enrollment programs that allow high school students to take college courses.
Districts are also granted waivers because they meet exemptions built into the law, which include increased instructional time as part of a reform plan as well as balancing a school calendar for year-round schooling."

article

Planit

Cyburbian
Our district's first day of classes is August 26th, however the first football game is Friday August 23rd.

That's not a practice game, it's a real in-season game.

Band practices start this morning @ 9:00 am. Football has already had 'summer camps' for a few weeks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
"Since the ban on a pre-Labor Day start went into effect in 2006 in Michigan, hundreds of districts have applied for waivers from the Michigan Department of Education to get permission to start school earlier.
At least 178 school districts are using approved waivers to start school before Labor Day, according to the Michigan Department of Education. Another 28 are awaiting approval.
Many districts say they need the earlier start to align their calendars with dual-enrollment programs that allow high school students to take college courses.
Districts are also granted waivers because they meet exemptions built into the law, which include increased instructional time as part of a reform plan as well as balancing a school calendar for year-round schooling."

article
I thought I read earlier this year that there were enough schools asking for waivers that the state was looking at getting rid of the ban on pre-Labor Day start dates. Around here, most of the private schools will start going back the last week or two of August. The girl across the street from us goes to one of the private school and my daughter is always bummed when that girl is no longer around during the day... not because my daughter doesn't have her to play with, but because she's jealous that she's already back to school while my daughter has to suffer through another week of summer!

Usually our district starts up the day after Labor Day but a couple of years ago they actually started on the Wednesday after. I wish they would do that every year since it's really nice to have that Tuesday off after Labor Day to relax and not rushing home from wherever in the early afternoon on the holiday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I thought I read earlier this year that there were enough schools asking for waivers that the state was looking at getting rid of the ban on pre-Labor Day start dates. Around here, most of the private schools will start going back the last week or two of August. The girl across the street from us goes to one of the private school and my daughter is always bummed when that girl is no longer around during the day... not because my daughter doesn't have her to play with, but because she's jealous that she's already back to school while my daughter has to suffer through another week of summer!

Usually our district starts up the day after Labor Day but a couple of years ago they actually started on the Wednesday after. I wish they would do that every year since it's really nice to have that Tuesday off after Labor Day to relax and not rushing home from wherever in the early afternoon on the holiday.
To me the whole school year - Labor Day law thing has gotten ridiculous. Look, there are a certain number of days of instruction that are required of public schools and a certain number of 'free' snow days permitted. It seems most years we end up exceeding the snow days and there's a threat of 'extending the school year further into June'. The school year already runs past Memorial Day. Don't those additional snow days cut into the traditional Memorial Day - Labor Day summer tourism season just as much as starting school in late August does?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Our schools started the '19-'20 school year today.

It is amazing to me that the school calendar becomes so central to our lives while we have kids in school. Once they graduate, it is difficult to adjust to the loss of that calendar.

DVD

Cyburbian
School starts next week here and usually ends mid May. I blame the extra days off like teacher in service, fall break, and whatever other days off they use. It's not like they increased the days of instruction. At least not that I know of.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Oddly, mini WYP and I are going to the dentist today. What's odd is that we live in different states and hadn't talked about until yesterday.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Public school in NJ starts after Labor Day. Most of the Catholic schools do as well. The charter schools often start in mid-August.

At this point in my life I wish there was year round school with 2 week breaks between quarters.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm having school anxiety. We moved in January so are in the same school district, but have a different neighborhood elementary school that my boys are required to attend. However, this coming school year is kind of special, because it's my oldest son's 6th grade year (so, last year of elementary), and it's my youngest son's kindergarten year. It'll be the only year that both boys can attend the same school, and my youngest is excited about that.

I put in a transfer request to keep my oldest at his previous school, so he can finish out elementary with his friends. I also put in a transfer request for my youngest, so he can go to the same school with his brother.

However, I've been really worried about the whole thing, and actually had a bad dream last night (because I ran into some "school mom" friends.) Both boys have to start at the new school, and then find out after two weeks if the transfer requests have been approved (it's a lottery system). So, that sucks that they have to start the school year at one place, and then switch to a new school.

I'm also worried about what if my oldest son doesn't get to go back to his old school for his last year. He's going to be really bummed, especially because he's already switched schools once (in 3rd grade) and it took about a year for him to make good friends.

I'd be fine if my youngest's transfer request wasn't approved and he stayed at the new school (he already knows some kids that attend there, and then he wouldn't have to switch schools next year), but then I'd have school drop offs / pick ups at two locations and that's not fun (for me).

And on top of if all, my ex thinks that the new school "isn't good" so I'd have to deal with his a$$hattery if one or both boys went there. It is a good school, just not as well funded as the old one (aka, the new school has more working class parents and the old one has more wealthy families who can donate a lot of time and money to the PTA and other things).

Everything will work out just fine, right?!

DVD

Cyburbian
Yep, other than that one thing that will happen later in the year it'll be fine.;)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The kids will be alright.

FWIW, my oldest changed schools going into 2nd grade, 4th grade, and 8th grade.