• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NEVERENDING ∞ The NEVERENDING real estate listing photo thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As inspired by Ugly House Photos. Find photos on your own, though.

I'll start. Some say there's a little bit of truth behind most stereotypes.

cheektovegas.jpg

fringe

Cyburbian
...best use of flamingos I have ever seen.

This is my followup to the listing one. I managed to scare the buyer off with my unvarnished report.

P1010310.JPG

kms

Cyburbian
Here’s a Lustron home for sale for $1.00 but you have to move it. There’s one in my town that I’d love to own.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Here’s a Lustron home for sale for $1.00 but you have to move it. There’s one in my town that I’d love to own.

Maybe you think you’d like to live in one but I hung out in one and I wouldn’t want one. The NW Chicago burb we used to live in (and I worked for) had about a dozen and we had friends that lived a slightly modified one and it was small and awkward. I’d rather just find a traditional early 20th cent bungalow.

Is that a house or an unfinished fitness center?
More like an abandoned set from Logan’s Run.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

If I could get the land for $1 as well, I'd be buying that immediately. My parents sold my grandma's place in Sarasota after she died a few years ago and they've been kicking themselves ever since. For $1, my dad is still very active and pretty handy and that would be a fun project and an awesome location.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Nice-looking ranch house FS. Not renovated beyond recognition, okay pricing.

I looked at the floor plan again and again. How do you get your groceries into the kitchen?
You can drive up the shared driveway, park in the garage, and unload through the service door ... and through the master BR.

No wonder they're moving.

Attachments

• 2054 Paris Ave SE fl plan.jpg
    2054 Paris Ave SE fl plan.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 20

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
The s.o. has been looking for a new place and I was helping him out. I saw so many pink bathrooms - some paint, some paint + tile. Idk what people are thinking. I'll see if I can make a collage.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The s.o. has been looking for a new place and I was helping him out. I saw so many pink bathrooms - some paint, some paint + tile. Idk what people are thinking. I'll see if I can make a collage.

Lookng forward to it! In my little town, those pink bathrooms would be directly off the dining room or kitchen.

Meanwhile, here's some crunchy goodness you'll only find here.

crunchy_1.jpg

"Natural" setting on a dirt road? Check.

"Green" vehicle-dependent exurban location with a Walk Score that could be negative? Check.

Eight years old, but looks more like 120, thanks to intentional returning-her-to-Mother-Earth-style weathering? Check.

Still, $220K is a deal around here.

Fridge in a hallway. A local tradition since the invention of the icebox.

fridge_in_the_hall.jpg

For some reason, local real estate agents have a thing for garden photos. This is no exception. There's more photos of plants and weeds in this listing than images of the interior.

crunchy_2.jpg

crunchy_3.jpg

One thing most of the "green" houses have in common around here: entry doors that dump directly into the living room or kitchen. No vestibule, "airlock", foyer, or coat closet. Open the front door on a breezy January day, and the living room temperature can from 68 to 58. Really, the majority of houses around here lack a defined front entry area. (Our house is an exception.)

no_foyer.jpg

Yes, the living room is nearly empty, except for some plants, and bicycles hanging on the wall. The bike-on-the-wall-in-a-prominent-room thing isn't that unusual around here.

Another "green" house. Note the thick walls. No vestibule.

no_foyer_2.jpg

In shivering Buffalo, where local custom dictates that only movers and the Pope pass through the front door, vestibules, foyers, or hallways are commonplace at both the front and side. Houses lacking front entry "transition spaces" are likely to be old worker's cottages, post-WWII starter houses, and those based on stock plans intended for the southern US.

vestibule.jpg

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Kind of a cute house, if you like 1960s modernish style. It's been on the market forever. Why?

Well here's the Street View looking across the street.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Someone's been renovating a neat little MSM down the street from me. It just hit the market.

Sporty.

Best part about the high windows is that they face north so you won't get blasted with Texas sun.

Nice enclosed patio.

Wow. Just wow! I LOVE that three season porch. Looks like the roof pitch is maybe a 3:1 which wouldn't fly so well up here with all the snow we get (roofs are one area where MCM houses just don't cut it), but otherwise, dayum that looks appealing to me!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
They had an open house Saturday and we went to look at it. It's very cool, kind of quirky and has lots of little nooks and crannies. For a relatively modern house it has a lot of character. Behind the garage the roof extends out to create a little covered alcove. You have to go out the back door there to get to what you call the three season porch. Note that is is fully enclosed in glass and has its own AC/heater unity so really it's a four season room.

I believe the front room (the one with the high windows in the second picture) was actually a covered courtyard when the house was built and the wall was added later to make a second living room. It's a step down from the rest of the house, and the fireplace on that side looks like it was added to the chimney. There's also an opening between the dining area and that front room that looks like it used to be a window.

The living room (with the entry door) is actually not very big. It's a very cozy room though. The lynchpin of the house is the dining area which is oversized. Although it has no windows, there is plenty of light from adjacent rooms. The small living room with the entry door, the second living room with the high windows, the kitchen and the bedrooms and hall bath all connect to the dining area.

The kitchen window opens into that covered alcove behind the garage so it doesn't bring in much light but provides ventilation if you want to open it. The glassed-in porch is outside of the master bedroom (which has its own bath). The master BR is off the back left corner of the dining room, behind the kitchen. The other two bedrooms are off a separate hall to the right so it's a split BR arrangement (which I prefer). The hall bath is in the hall by the other bedrooms.

One bedroom has a nice set of built-ins.

The other has a pocket door. You don't see those very often.

EDIT: In fact you don't see them at all when they're open ;)

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'll give you one guess for the location of this house.

babcha_01.jpg

babcha_02.jpg

babcha_03.jpg

babcha_04.jpg

babcha_05.jpg

babcha_06.jpg

$140/ft2, on a busy street. The listing for this house, not far from where I live, says it's "move in ready". For this area, that's pretty much true.

ith_01.jpg

ith_03.jpg

ith_04.jpg

ith_05.jpg

ith_06.jpg

ith_07.jpg

ith_09.jpg

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I love the Buffalo far northside or western Cheektowaga early cape cod (first 5 photos). That interior is pristine and an awesome time capsule.

Apart from very specific design/look period aesthetics, the finishes are good quality. A proud little old polish and/or italian ancestry person (that grewup in Buffalo's Polonia neighborhood and born in 1925) had been wiping down and polishing that interior everyday for about the last 65 years.

Planit

Cyburbian
We own that dining room suit. The bow front buffet & footed table, just the chair backs are different.

bureaucrat#3

I need to get a picture, but one of our developers was telling me how excited they were for their new model. They described it as a 50 ft wide ranch with a front facing three car garage. I wasn't ready for that description and the look on my face led them to say "You really need to see it, its not as bad as you think." They already have a lot of pre-sales for the same model in the next phase.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'll give you one guess for the location of this house.
Cheektowaga, of course.

...and here it is. It's a mile and a half from my parents' house and a few blocks from that of my great aunt (and godmother).

I love the basement. I miss having a basement. It's also amazing to me that so many houses in Buffalo don't have fenced in backyards. And I really like that the baseboard and door trim have a wood finish instead of being painted over. I wish our house was like that.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
dining room suit.

Suit. I'm not knocking on you, but the word is suite. A suite (phonetically sweet) is a collection of things usually furniture for a room or rooms in a hotel, a suit (sute with a long u) is what you wear with a tie. The only reason I bring it up (honest, not to knock on you!) is that the two words are morphing back together. I thought it was funny when we moved to Texas and radio and TV ads referred to "bedroom sutes" and "dining room sutes" and they mispronounced the word. I came to found out that's a dialectical difference and that the dictionary now recognizes "sute" as an acceptable pronunciation of "suite." And if suite and suit are pronounced the same, might as well spell them the same.

Maybe the knock is on me for my ignorance of how language changes with dialects.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Hey, I'm not knocking on you.

(am I protesting too much?)

(That's like saying, "I'm not racists but..." isn't it?)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This house next to my beach house just sold https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/131-W-Arverne-Ave-Ocean-Gate-NJ-08740/39679524_zpid/. It is currently being gutted out.

Fran is now in assisted living. She was a firecracker, even in her 70s. Her dad built the house in the 50s and they used to spend their summers there visiting from Philly. Her parents retired there and she eventually moved there to help care for them in their old age and became the business administrator of the school district. She had a major stroke in January and had more or less recovered physically, but her mental state was in decline. I had a couple beers with her in late August and she seemed to be hanging in there. My husband saw her sister a couple weeks ago and asked after her-she apparently entered a pretty rapid and steep mental decline and didn't know where she was or anyone familiar to her.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Probably more like one these:

This is what I was picturing as well.

A friend of mine has (or, rather, had as they just sold a couple weeks ago) a house very similar to this here in suburban Detroit, except their garage stuck out even more. If you were driving past the house from one direction, the front door and porch sat back so far that you couldn't even see it from the road and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was just a detached garage belonging to the neighbor's house.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This is what I was picturing as well.

A friend of mine has (or, rather, had as they just sold a couple weeks ago) a house very similar to this here in suburban Detroit, except their garage stuck out even more. If you were driving past the house from one direction, the front door and porch sat back so far that you couldn't even see it from the road and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was just a detached garage belonging to the neighbor's house.
See the third photo I added after you quoted my post. It's about 40ft wide.

Then apropos for this thread:

A small-ish neighborhood church (with attached admin/school addition) for sale in a lovely small city in the north end of Dayton, OH's commuter shed - https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/18-E-Broadway-St_Tipp-City_OH_45371_M92543-92434

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
All I can say is that Buffalo listing is FEEEYAANCEEE!
You got your fancy, you see, but it ain't nuttin' without some CLAAAAAAAAS. And nobody does better at CLAAAAAAAAS than ...

staten island.jpg

Friggin' a that's right. They got all kinds of houses there. Old Mediterranean, new Mediterranean, Mediterranean Revival, two-story Mediterranean, three-story Mediterranean, dark pink brick, light pink brick, medium pink brick, they got everything!

Take a look at this tasteful little abode.
6cc2d480aea9fb0d0c20c754d461542bl-m229300450od-w1024_h768.jpg

The more statues you have in a house, the more CLASS it gets. Here, lemme' show you ... hey, don't go in that room. HEY! I only said you could look. That room's for special guests.
staten_island_yo_01.jpg

Cardinal Dolan blessed those stairs himself, and nobody's ever fallen down on them.
staten_island_yo_02.jpg

Here's the perfect place for an afternoon nap, with the Son of God watching to make sure you're safe.
staten_island_yo_03.jpg

Even the bathroom is CLASSY. That marble came from the Vatican.staten_island_yo_04.jpg

Look at that backyard! It's like the friggin' Metropoltan Museum of Art!
staten_island_yo_06.jpg

What are YOU lookin' at?
staten_island_yo_08.jpg

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Augusta, Kansas, an exurb of Wichita. $1,100,000. It starts off slow, and gets better with every passing image.

zebra_king_01.jpg

zebra_king_02.jpg

Yes, there's a theme here. Wait for it ...
zebra_king_03.jpg

Wait for it ...
zebra_king_04.jpg

No, not the carpeted bathroom. Wait for it ...
zebra_king_05.jpg

No, not the dog runs in the back yard. Wait for it ...
zebra_king_08.jpg

Yup. An NRA approved rec room in the basement, with a 100 yard rifle range with target retrievers.
1605904944770.jpeg

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Looks like the set from the final scene of the P. Swayze movie Road House.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Augusta, Kansas, an exurb of Wichita. $1,100,000. It starts off slow, and gets better with every passing image.

View attachment 49670

View attachment 49671

Yes, there's a theme here. Wait for it ...
View attachment 49672

Wait for it ...
View attachment 49673

No, not the carpeted bathroom. Wait for it ...
View attachment 49674

No, not the dog runs in the back yard. Wait for it ...
View attachment 49675

Yup. An NRA approved rec room in the basement, with a 100 yard rifle range with target retrievers.
View attachment 49676
Holy crap, talk about taste taking a holiday.