• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Recipe Thread

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Cinnabon

Rolls

1 1/4oz Package active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk (105-110F)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup margarine, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
4 cups all purpose flour

Filling

1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine, softened

Icing

8 tablespoons (1 stick) margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

1. For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.

2. Mixed together the sugar, margarine, salt and eggs. Add the flour, and mix well.

3. Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with flour. Put in bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, untill double in size.

4. Roll doughh out on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough flat untill it is about 21 inches long and 16 inches wide. it should be about 1/4 inch thick.

5. Preheat oven to 400F

6. For the filling, combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread softened margarine evenly over the dough, them sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar evenly over the surface.

7. Working carefully from the top ( a 21 inch side), roll the dough down to the bottom edge.

8. Cut the rolled dough into 1 3/4-inch slices and place 6 at a time, evenly spaced in a lightly greased baking baking pan. Let the rolls rise again until double in size (about 30 minutes). Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or untill light brown on top.

9. While the rolls bake, combine the icing ingredients. Beat well with an electric mixer untill fluffy.

10. When the rolls come out of the oven, coat generously with icing.

Makes 12 rolls

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My favorite recipe which has people begging for more:

Spinach roll-ups

1 10-oz. Package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
1 cup mayonnaise
1 8-oz. Container sour cream
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 1-oz. Envelope Ranch-style dressing mix
1 3-0z. jar bacon bits
9 10-inch flour tortillas

Combine first 6 ingredients; spread on tortillas. Roll up, jellyroll fashion; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours. Cut into ½ inch thick slices.

Yield: 6 dozen

My 11-year old picky eater loves these!

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I don't have a recipe, but a question about a recipe. I have this recipe for nann bread (its Indian, in England you could buy it premade at the supermarket, or even convienant stores). Unfortunately I can't find it here even in Wegmans Indian department. Anyways, I got a recipe online for it and it calls for 'active' natural yoghurt. I was just wondering what it was. I searched through the natural foods at Wegmans but couldn't find it. I was just wondering what it was and if regular yoghurt is actually 'active' or not. Thanks.

JNL

Cyburbian
I posted this recipe in a thread from last March in which we discussed some of our favourite recipes.

CHICKPEA CURRY

Preparation time: 15 mins
Total cooking time: 40-45 mins
Serves 4

2 onions
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon ghee or oil
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander (I leave this out cause I think coriander tastes like soap)
2 x 440g (14oz) cans chickpeas, drained
440g (14oz) canned tomato pieces
1 teaspoon garam masala

1. Slice onions finely; crush the garlic. Heat ghee or oil in a medium pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until soft.

2. Add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander. Stir over heat for 1 minute.

3. Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes. stir until combined. Simmer, covered, over low heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garam masala. Simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes.

Serve on rice (I use basmati) and with a big dollop of plain, unsweetened yoghurt.

From The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I will make my French onion soup this weekend and post the recipe. I'll need to adjust given I'm living alone.....ahhhh, but the left overs......to die for. Buy a bagette (sp?) a couple days ahead of time. Best when slightly stale.

dobopoq

Cyburbian
No recipe to share, just a few thoughts about food if that is not too broad.

Texture is a huge aspect of baking:

I tried to make biscuits recently. They turned out bad, and I realized it was because I mixed the butter too much. 2nd time was for REAL! Nice and flaky. All because I let the butter remain in chunks. Amazing.

I've been evolving my pizza making techniques for some time now. It took me a few times before I discovered high gluten bread flour. Finnally made deep dish. But it was nothing like our friends in Chicagoland enjoy. I've bought pizza pans with holes in the bottom and found they do help to make for a crisp crust. But again my regular thin crust pizza just doesnt't quite have that authentic pizzeria type crust. I've heard it's because pros use really hot ovens - like 800-900 degrees fahrenheit.

I also tried to make bagels once. They turned out kinda flat. Of course, it's been a while since I had real New York style or Montreal style bagels, so I've kinda forgotten what they're really supposed to taste like. I used to be able to get a dozen bagels (pretty good quality) at Broadway Bagels on Baltimore St. in Baltimore for just $3.00 - That was only like 5 years ago. They closed though. I'm slowly checking out the local bakeries in PDX. Sadly, safeway is my usual bagel bakery for the time being.

kms

Cyburbian
dobopoq said:

I've been evolving my pizza making techniques for some time now. It took me a few times before I discovered high gluten bread flour. Finnally made deep dish. But it was nothing like our friends in Chicagoland enjoy. I've bought pizza pans with holes in the bottom and found they do help to make for a crisp crust. But again my regular thin crust pizza just doesnt't quite have that authentic pizzeria type crust. I've heard it's because pros use really hot ovens - like 800-900 degrees fahrenheit.

Use your grill - toss uncooked dough onto the grill rack (preheated grill). It will begin to cook right away, and puff up in some places. Move the partially cooked crust onto a cooling rack, with the cooked side UP. Top the cooked side and return it to the grill. Lid down.

You'll need to experiment with your grill regarding heat. I can pre-cook the crusts over direct heat, but have best luck finishing the pizza over indirect heat. I use a gas grill, by the way.

donk

Cyburbian
jsk1983 said:
Anyways, I got a recipe online for it and it calls for 'active' natural yoghurt. I was just wondering what it was. I searched through the natural foods at Wegmans but couldn't find it. I was just wondering what it was and if regular yoghurt is actually 'active' or not. Thanks.

"Active" is related to the cultures and enzymes and if they are still alive or not and how the yogurt was made. Best bet is a "real health food /organic food place.

Here is some info on it.

http://www.aboutyogurt.com/lacYogurt/facts.asp

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/food/yogurt/

jsk1983

Cyburbian
donk said:
"Active" is related to the cultures and enzymes and if they are still alive or not and how the yogurt was made. Best bet is a "real health food /organic food place.

Here is some info on it.

http://www.aboutyogurt.com/lacYogurt/facts.asp

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/food/yogurt/

I have since made Nan bread twice and both times used just regular yogurt. The bread turned out fine. Next time I will have to look into "active" yogurt and see if it makes a difference.

dobopoq

Cyburbian
kms said:
Use your grill - toss uncooked dough onto the grill rack (preheated grill). It will begin to cook right away, and puff up in some places. Move the partially cooked crust onto a cooling rack, with the cooked side UP. Top the cooked side and return it to the grill. Lid down.

You'll need to experiment with your grill regarding heat. I can pre-cook the crusts over direct heat, but have best luck finishing the pizza over indirect heat. I use a gas grill, by the way.

Thanks kms! :) That makes sense. Blind baking is a technique often used by pastry chefs. I live in an apartment w/o balcony but there is a communal patio and grill area. I think it's time to fire it up. Pizza for Thanksgiving anyone? ;)

noottamevas

Cyburbian
kms said:

One intoxicated night in college, I threw a 99cent frozen pizza on the grill (i use charcoal) been cooking them that way ever since.

Richmond Jake

zmanPLAN said:
How about a Whole Wheat pizza crust recipe?

Anyone got one?
I wouldn't recommend 100% whole wheat; not more that 1/4 to 1/3 of the flour you add. Here's what I've done:

Dissolve a package of active dry yeast into 3/4 cup of warm water (not hot, not cold). Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add one whole egg, a pinch of salt and two pinches of sugar. Stir in 2 to 2-1/2 cups of flour, maybe more (if you have a KitchenAid to do the mixing, it works great), until the dough is just past sticky but not dry. If no KitchenAid, kneed by hand for 5 minutes. Place the dough back in the mixing bowl and give it a very light covering of olive oil (extra virgin ;-) ), and give it a dusting of flour. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place for a couple of hours or until it doubles in size (I like to turn the oven light on and leave it in there--maybe turn the over on to 200 degrees to warm up, but then turn it off).

Roll it out, dust it with flour, cover it and let it rise for another half-hour or so. Add you favorite toppings and have at it. Good luck.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well a few days ago on the thread about corn I mentioned a Chilean dish called Corn Pie... and I think someone asked for the recipie, so I searched and I giveth ye the recipie: I haven't tried it so if you do and fail, it's not my responsability... :D

This is the recipie I found in http://www.nuevoanden.com/recetas/recpastel.html So if you burn down the kitchen while doing it, blame it on the author, not me :p

CORN AND MEAT PIE
Serves 12.
This is a popular Chilean recipe.

6 large ears of corn, grate the kernels
8 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. butter
1/2-1 cup milk
4 large onions, chopped
3 tbsps. oil
1 lb. (1/2 kg) finely ground lean beef
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. ground cumin
4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1 cup black olives
1 cup raisins
12 pieces of chicken, browned in hot oil, seasoned with salt,
pepper and cumin
2 tbsps. confectioners' sugar

Heat the grated corn, chopped basil, salt and butter in a large pot. Add
the milk little by little, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Leave to one side while you prepare the
meat filling. Fry the onions in oil until transparent, add the ground meat
and stir to brown. Season with salt, pepper and ground cumin. To prepare
the pie use an oven-proof dish that you can take to the table. Spread over
the bottom of the dish the onion-ground meat mixture. Arrange over this
the hard boiled egg slices, olives and raisins. Put the chicken pieces on
top, bone the chicken if you like. Cover the filling with the corn
mixture. Sprinkle the confectioners' sugar over the top. Bake in a hot
oven 400 Deg. F (205 Deg. C) for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden
brown. Serve at once. In Chile more sugar is served to sprinkle over the
"pastel" as it is eaten.

If you find any weird translated words or ingredients you don't know I'll try to figue out what it is... :D

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Carolina pulled pork

Carolina Rub
· 2 tablespoons salt
· 2 tablespoons sugar
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons ground cumin
· 2 tablespoons chili powder
· 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
· 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
· ¼ cup paprika

Carolina Sauce
· 2 cups apple cider vinegar
· ½ cup ketchup
· 2/3 cup granulated sugar
· 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
· 2 tsp onion powder
· 2 tsp garlic powder
· 2 tsp crushed fresh garlic
· 2 tsp black pepper
· 1 tsp cayenne pepper
· 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
· Juice of ½ lemon
· 3 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
Mix ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and serve.

Good taste, but I thought the spice was a little overpowering. Next time I make it, I will probably cut the hot ingredients in half.

Smoke a 6-8 lb pork butt for 8-12 hours at 225 deg.

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Memphis pulled pork

Memphis rub:
· 2 tablespoons paprika
· 1 tablespoon black pepper
· 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
· 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
· 1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1 teaspoon dry mustard
· 1 teaspoon cumin
· 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Memphis Sauce
· 1/2 cup chopped onion
· 2 tablespoons minced garlic
· 3 tablespoons canola oil
· 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
· 1 cup strong coffee (or a Stout beer)
· 1 cup tomato ketchup
· 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
· 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
· 2 tablespoons molasses (or ½ cup brown sugar)
· 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke

Cook the onion and garlic in the oil till soft. Add other ingredients, cook to consistency you prefer.

I used molasses and thought this a little to much bite to it for a sweeter sauce, so I added ¼ cup of brown sugar.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
savemattoon said:
Good taste, but I thought the spice was a little overpowering. Next time I make it, I will probably cut the hot ingredients in half.

The pepper/chili aspect in the rub seems a bit much compared to what I've used in the past. Like you said it would probably be better cut in half. The sauce approximates what I usually make and what I've tasted.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crunchy Asian Coleslaw

Since this seems to be a winner wherever it goes as a potluck dish and is a great alternative to the mayonaise drenched coleslaws out there, here y'all go.

Slaw:
1 bag of 3 color coleslaw mix (cabbage, red cabbage, grated carrots) or make your own
1 bunch of cilantro, leaves only roughly chopped.
3 stalks of green onion, thinly sliced
1 package of Oriental Ramen noodles crunched up into small pieces (save seasoning packet)
1/4 cup of slivered or sliced almonds, toasted (heat over medium in a dry skillet)

Toss all the above in a large bowl.

Dressing:
Oriental Flavor seasoning packet from Ramen Noodles above
2 tablespoons of rice or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar or sweetener equivalent (Splenda works great)
3/4 cup olive oil

In a blender whiz together the seasoning packet, sugar, and vinegar until more or less dissolved. With the blender running, add the olive oil in a steady stream and blend until incorporated. Toss into the slaw.

If you can't eat nuts or would like to be more adventuresome, finely diced red bell peppers, slivers of radishes, slivers of water chestnuts are good in it too. The goal is to make it a "crunchy" salad. It's best on the first day, but if you have leftovers it is still good but quite a bit less crunchy.

Richmond Jake

Looking for some simple noshing suggestions. Finger foods involving little prep time. I'm suggesting brie, infused olive oil and French bread, veggies dipped in dressings, maybe a few fruits, and of course wine.

Anybody have some more suggestions? Remember: little prep time. Thanks

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Looking for some simple noshing suggestions. Finger foods involving little prep time. I'm suggesting brie, infused olive oil and French bread, veggies dipped in dressings, maybe a few fruits, and of course wine.

Anybody have some more suggestions? Remember: little prep time. Thanks
No fruit for you, remember???

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Who are you, Hermann Goering?
Yes. If we can have a Trail Nazi, we can have a South Beach Nazi.

The infused oil:

1 cup olive oil
coarse ground black pepper to taste
1 cup chopped fresh oregano

Warm all ingredients over low heat 20 minutes. Cool at least 8 hours. Pour thru a wire-mesh strainer. Cover and store in fridge up to 2 weeks. If it gets cloudy, it'll get clear when reheated. Serve with sliced warm baguette.

Instead of oregano, try: 1 cup chopped fresh basil, chives, dill, or 1/2 cup rosemary.

Richmond Jake

Pulled Pork Nachos

1 (2-lb.) boneless pork shoulder roast
28-oz. of medium salsa
2 canned chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, minced
½ tsp. ground cumin
16-oz. bag of tortilla chips

Toppings: Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, sliced black olives, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced pickled peppers.

1. Place pork in slow cooker. Stir together salsa, minced peppers, and cumin; pour over pork. Cook on low 8-hours or until meat shreds easily with two forks. Remove from slow cooker; cool slightly. Shred pork and keep warm.

2. Place chips on a serving platter; spoon pork evenly over chips. Serve immediately with desired toppings. Garnish if desired.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Spinach-cheese calzones

My teenager loved this!

1 (10-oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 oz. Canadian bacon, chopped
1 tbs garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
15-oz container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 and 1/4 cup (5 oz.) shredded light pizza cheese blend
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 (11-oz) cans refrigerated French loaf
26-oz jar Healthy Choice (or comparable) fat-free garlic and herb pasta sauce

Saute first 5 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray
6 minutes or until bacon is browned. Remove from heat. Combine ricotta cheese,
pizza cheese blend, and Italian seasoning; stir into spinach mixture.

Unroll each bread loaf on a lightly floured surface, and cut each into 4 rectangles.
Spoon a heaping 1/3 cup spinach mixture onto half of each rectangle. Fold dough
over filling, pressing edges to seal. Crimp edges with fork dipped in flour.

Place calzones on baking sheet(s) coated with cooking spray. Coat each calzone
with cooking spray.

Bake at 400 d. for 18 minutes or until golden. Serve with pasta sauce. Yield:
8 servings.

Richmond Jake

Pulled Pork

Starting to smell good. A couple of more hours and I'm chowing down. Yummmmy.

noottamevas

Cyburbian
I winged this one so make at your own risk. I made on the grill in an iron skillet, but it would work inside as well.

ingredients:
tortilla
fruit pie filling (make your own or buy premade)
soft cream cheese
sugar/cinnamon mix
butter

melt enough butter to cover bottom of skillett
throw in a tortilla, flip as soon as it starts "bubbling"
(work fast, I took the skillet off the heat and it was hot enough to finish
when I kept the skillet over the heat, the tortilla started to burn before I could finish)
now you have butter side up sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon
spread on some cream cheese and pie filling down the middle
(cream cheese didn't really spread as much as dropped small globs)
fold over tortilla into thirds sprinkle more sugar/cinnamon

enjoy

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Blender Magic: Smoothie Time!

Peanut butter smoothie

Ingredients
1 cup vanilla or chocolate ice cream
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons peanut butter

Directions
1. In a blender container, blend together ice cream, milk, and peanut butter. Makes 1 or 2 servings.
------------------------------------------------------
Josh's Strawberry Smoothie

Ingredients
1 large banana
2 handfuls of ripe strawberries
4 heaping Tbs of applesauce
6-10 cubes of ice
Sprig of mint

Directions
Add ice and the applesauce first (applesauce provides the liquid necessary in the crushing of the ice). Crush the ice until substance is smoothie-like, and then add the other ingredients.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Post Your Recipes - AIB ZG's Quiche

SC mentioned that she was making ZG's "famous quiche";-) . I am fond of quiche as well, so I thought I might ask for the recipe.... SO, why not make a thread out of it. I'm sure it's been done before, but it's been awhile. I'll drum up 2 or 3 of my favorites and post them.

In an effort to expand my waistline, I want to solicit your favorite recipes.

POST YOUR RECIPES.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Cottage cheese quiche:

4 eggs
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 deep dish pie shell

Pierce pie shell with fork (across bottom and sides) and bake at 425 d. for 10 min. Cool. Reduce oven to 350 d. Mix remaining ingredients and pour into shell. Bake 45 to 55 min until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

You can also add mushrooms, onions, etc if you want.

I like this even better cold the next day, for lunch!

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
I make a couple of variations of the famous quiche recipe. I use turkey bacon for one and add chopped up onions.
For the spiniach one, no turkey bacon. Get a small baby food jar of smashed up spinach and add it to the mixture.
For Mr. SC, I make with egg beaters...needs a lot more garlic powder to take away the yucky taste of egg beaters. Use fat free cheese for him too.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crunchy Asian Coleslaw

This is always a hit and a great potluck dish too.

Slaw

1 bag of coleslaw mix (except the angel hair kind)
1 bunch of cilantro leaves chopped
1 bunch of green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1 package of oriental flavor ramen noodles, crunched up into small bits (save seasoning packet)
1/2 cup of sliced or slivered almonds toasted

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl.

Dressing

3/4 to 1 cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons of white, cider, or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar or equivalent sweetner
Oriental flavored seasoning packet from ramen noodles

In a blender whiz together the vinegar, sugar, and seasoning until dissolved. With the blender running stream in 3/4 cup of olive oil until incorporated and smooth. Taste and if it its a bit too sour add another 1/4 olive oil and a bit more sugar if desired. Pour over the slaw mix and toss together. Yum!

If you take this for a potluck don't toss the slaw with the dressing until serving time. Slaw is good on the second day but it is not as crunchy. You can add almost anything to this slaw and it will be tasty: diced red bell pepper, radish slivers or slices, water chestnuts, jicama, toasted sunflower seeds, etc. Just think crunchy! We eat this with pad thai at our house.

From the Neverending Email Forwards Archive

A little background: Neiman-Marcus, if you don't know already, is a very expensive store; i.e., they sell your typical $8.00 T-shirt for $50.00.

Let's let them have it! THIS IS A TRUE STORY!

My daughter and I had just finished a salad at a Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas, and we decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus cookie." It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe, and the waitress said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not, but you can buy therecipe." Well, I asked how much, and she responded, "Only two fifty-it's a great deal!" I agreed to that, and told her to just add it to my tab.

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement, and the Neiman-Marcus charge was $285.00! I looked again, and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe-$250.00". That was outrageous!

I called Neiman's Accounting Department and told them the waitress said it was "two fifty", which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any reasonable interpretation of the phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would not refund my money because, according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money at this point." I explained to the Accounting Department lady the criminal statutes which govern fraud in the state of Texas. I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau and the Texas Attorney General's office for
engaging in fraud.

I was basically told, "Do what you want. Don't bother thinking of how you can get even, and don't bother trying to get any of your money back." I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus...for free. She replied, "I
wish you wouldn't do this." I said, "Well, perhaps you should have thought of that before you ripped me off!" and slammed down the phone. So here it is!

Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250 for this, and I don't want Neiman-Marcus to EVER make another penny off of this recipe!

NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES (Recipe may be halved)

2 cups butter
24 oz. chocolate chips
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
5 cups blended oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour,oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, and nuts. Roll into balls, and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

PLEASE READ THE RECIPE AND SEND IT TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW WHO HAS AN E-MAIL ADDRESS! THIS IS REALLY TERRIFIC!!

Even if the people on your e-mail list don't eat sweets send it to them and ask them to pass it on. Let's make sure we get these ladies $250.00 worth. Enjoy the cookies, they are good.....

jmello

Cyburbian
You can add almost anything to this slaw and it will be tasty: diced red bell pepper, radish slivers or slices, water chestnuts, jicama, toasted sunflower seeds, etc. Just think crunchy! We eat this with pad thai at our house.

I make a similar Asian cole slaw, but I use red cabbage, carrots and cilantro leaves. The dressing is a mixture of sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, fish sauce, and rice vinegar. I top it with crushed roasted peanuts.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
those pulled pork/BBQ recipes are making me drool......

i don't think there are any good BBQ places around here. *sniffle*

i miss the BBQ i could get in NOLA.

munibulldog

Cyburbian
I bake this recipe about twice a week, it is a bread intended to have everything in it that you need for nutrition, if you had to you could live off of only this bread for a long time.

Muesli Bread

1-1/2 cup white flour
1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup roasted salted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped dried apples
1/2 cup dry milk
2Tbs molassess
2 tsp salt
1 tsp dry yeast
mix in pot, add:
2-1/4 cup water to make a wet dough
Let stand a couple hours
Mix some more
Pour into a bread pan greased with margarine
Let rise 1 hour in a warm place
Bake 40 minutes at 400F

I use a Kitchen Aid mixer, which makes things pretty easy. Mix it, put a cloth over the pot, let it rise, and mix it again (instead of kneading). Then pour it into the bread pan while helping it along with a scraper. You don't have to knead it or even touch the sticky dough. This is not the traditional method but I learned it from an old German baker from Chitown who was the most experienced baker I ever knew.

I made a loaf today. Most of my meals have a slice of this bread with them. You can't buy bread this good.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
those pulled pork/BBQ recipes are making me drool......

i don't think there are any good BBQ places around here. *sniffle*

i miss the BBQ i could get in NOLA.

Yeah...tell me about it. NJ ain't known for its 'cue. What makes it worse is that I work with a few Kansas City BBQ Society contest reps on the the competitive BBQ circuit in the south and now am away from them and BBQ. I will however be going to Sevierville, TN in May to help run a contest....can't wait!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Calzones with cheese, sausage, and roasted red pepper

1 jar roasted red peppers
2 packages deli/bakery prepared pizza dough
1 and 1/4 lb red onions, sliced
4 sweet or hot Italian sausages, casings removed
3 cups coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 12 oz)
1 and 1/2 cups ricotta cheese (about 12 oz)
4 teaspoons dried oregano
olive oil

Put dough out to rise a couple hours before cooking.

Saute onions and peppers in 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Cook sausage in skillet until cooked through.

Mix cheeses and oregano in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Dust 2 baking sheets with flour. Punch down dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooted, about 1 minute. Divide into 8 equal portions; shape each into ball. Roll out dough balls on lighly floured surface to 9-inch rounds. Spread 1/3 cup cheese mixture over half of each round, cover with onion and pepper mixture, then sausage. Fold plain dough halves over filling, pinch edges of dough.

Using large spatual, transfer to prepared baking sheets. Pierce tops in several places with small knife for steam to escape. Bake about 30 minutes until golden brown.

RJ, the kid and I made these Friday night and are having leftovers tonight. Really yummy! :)

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Does anyone have a good Jambalaya recipe?
Found this one on the internet. Tried it today, and decided its a keeper
Ham, Chicken and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya

Serves 6 - 8

1/2 pound ham, cubed
1 pound chicken, cubed
1/2 pound pork Andouille sausage, cubed
Scant 1/4 cup olive oil (for sautéing)
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped (green or red and green)
4 large cloves garlic, diced
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon celery sea salt
½ course sea salt
1 teaspoon salt free Bayou Seasoning
3 splashes of Swamp Scum Pepper Sauce
2 cups long grain rice

Pour enough olive oil into a 4 quart heavy Dutch oven (cast iron or porcelain over cast iron) just to coat the bottom – about 3 – 4 tablespoons. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed chicken and sauté until golden brown and some bits stick to the bottom of pan. Add cubed ham and sausage. Cook until just browned. Remove browned meat from the pan and set aside.

If there is no oil left in the pan, heat a spoonful or two in the pan before adding the Holy Trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper). When the vegetables begin to brown (caramelize), add the garlic and continue cooking a few minutes more. Do NOT burn the garlic!

Add the meat back to the pan and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock and deglaze the pan (get all that good brown stuff off the sides of the pan and into the broth). Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook all ingredients in stock approximately fifteen minutes for flavors to develop. Season to taste using salts, pepper and Bayou Seasoning, and Swamp Scum Pepper Sauce. Add the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover and allow to cook thirty minutes, stirring once at 15 minutes. When cooked, remove from heat, adjust seasonings, if necessary, and then fold in the green onions and parsley. Cover and let steam ten minutes.

Cook’s Notes
If the pan is not hot enough, the meat won’t sauté, it will just stew in the oil and its own juices!
Remember one thing – if you under season, this dish will be disappointing!

Can't get "Swamp Scum Pepper Sauce" so I used Jalepeno Louisiana hot sauce.

Cooked mine on the grill of course.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
For you foodies, help me!

I am making a recipe this weekend for ribs with a "dry rub"; do I need to also get some BBQ sauce to top off the ribs?

Also, I need orange zest. I know it has to do with the peel, but do I "zest" the inside or the outside of the peel?

noottamevas

Cyburbian
For you foodies, help me!

I am making a recipe this weekend for ribs with a "dry rub"; do I need to also get some BBQ sauce to top off the ribs?

Also, I need orange zest. I know it has to do with the peel, but do I "zest" the inside or the outside of the peel?

My pulled pork rubs and sauces will work for ribs as well. I posted them earlier in this thread. I've been favoring the Carolina recipe lately, but the Memphis is sweeter if that is your taste.

Do you NEED a sauce? Not necessarily, many like their ribs 'nekkid'.

Good luck

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Do you NEED a sauce? Not necessarily, many like their ribs 'nekkid'.

Good luck

This might be subject for another, X-rated thread, but I just can't get RJ to say "nekkid" even though "you in the south now, boy!". Somehow I just can't eat "nude" ribs..... :-c Maybe it's a California thing?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Pulled Pork Nachos

1 (2-lb.) boneless pork shoulder roast
28-oz. of medium salsa
2 canned chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, minced
½ tsp. ground cumin
16-oz. bag of tortilla chips

Toppings: Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, sliced black olives, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced pickled peppers.

1. Place pork in slow cooker. Stir together salsa, minced peppers, and cumin; pour over pork. Cook on low 8-hours or until meat shreds easily with two forks. Remove from slow cooker; cool slightly. Shred pork and keep warm.

2. Place chips on a serving platter; spoon pork evenly over chips. Serve immediately with desired toppings. Garnish if desired.

This is a great recipe! For the novice cook, it would be better to use 'adobo sauce' than 'adobe sauce'.

From Wikipedia
Adobe is a natural building material composed of sand, sandy clay and straw or other organic materials, which is shaped into bricks using wooden frames and dried in the sun.

Adobo is the Spanish word for seasoning or marinade. The noun form is used to describe the actual marinade or seasoning mix, and the term used for a meat which has been marinated or seasoned with an adobo is referred to having been adobada.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you dry rub you don't have to sauce, but if you want to sauce (because BBQ isn't fun if it isn't messy) you can sauce, but sauce lightly and with something that won't overpower the flavors of the rub-avoid anything mesquite flavor or has liquid smoke in it, if its really thick then you can cut it with a bit of water.

Orange zest....zest is the colored part of the peel of a citrus fruit. You can peel it with a veggie peeler taking care not to get too much of the pith (it's bitter!) along with the zest, or the second most fine side of a 4-sided grater does a good job as well. Take the zest off before cutting the fruit, its easier.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thanks all for your advice, the dry rub pork turned out to be very tasty. OK, here's a side dish we did that was sooooo easy and excellent:

Saute one large thinly-sliced sweet onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil for about 10-15 minutes until it starts to brown. Add a 9-oz package of fresh spinich leaves, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and reduce heat and cook another 10 minutes. Simple, sweet, and a great addition to the pork ribs!