• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Recipe Thread

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (run a knife through the can to cut up the apples)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite du jour)

Brown bacon, and sauté the onion and green pepper in the bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12

I don't know who Keri is, but DAMN this is good. A couple of mods I made.
1. instead of Blues Hog, I used my Carolina sauce and rub
2. I left out the green peppers because my wife doesn't believe peppers belong in baked beans.
3. Whenever I get a bean recipe that calls for adding brown sugar to pork and beans, I subtitute Bush's Country Style beans without adding sugar.
4. I left the out the cayenne powder, but my sauce is spicy.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's our family recipe for baked beans. No it's not a secret but when they go to a potluck nothing comes back.

1 lb navy beans
1 medium sweet onion or yellow onion finely diced
8 slices of bacon cooked until done but not crispy and chopped up
6oz can of tomato paste (not sauce)
1/2-1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon mustard powder
Hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Soak the beans in cold water mixed with 1 tsp of salt overnight. Drain. Mix the tomato paste, 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper, and cumin in a large bowl. Add the soaked beans, onion, bacon and mix together. Add more water if you like saucy beans. Put into a casserole dish and bake at 350F uncovered for an hour checking periodically for doneness and adding 1/2 cup water if it seems a bit dry.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Memphis Dry Rub

ZG and I applied this rub to boneless pork chops that we grilled on the b’que tonight. Highly recommended from the RJ/ZG domicile.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons sweet paprika
3 tablespoons chile powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix it all up. Store the rub in an airtight container away from heat and light. Makes ¾ cup. Keeps for at least 6 months.

Courtesy of the book, Going Whole Hog.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a new leftover dish at Casa Kim's.....Friday's dinner was a lovely pork tenderloin and there is always a bit of leftover but not enough for a whole meal. Happened to be watching Paula's Party on Food Network last night and it featured Cuban Pie. If you like Cuban sandwiches this is definitely for you. I think it could fit into phase II of South Beach diet as well.

Here's the link for the recipe. It's wonderful and fairly easy to make especially if you use ready made pie crust and leftovers.

Richmond Jake

ZG made a sausage and chicken gumbo dish in the slow cooker for dinner (she's not a seafood eater, thus no shrimp or other goodies). Turned out damn good. She got the recipe from a cook book purchased this past weekend at Williams-Sonoma.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Lazy Man's Home-Cooked Dinner

Cranberry Chicken

Frozen Chicken Breasts or Thighs
Package of Lipton Onion Soup mix or similar
Whole can of Cranberry Sauce, jellied or not

Throw everything in a Crockpot in the morning before you leave for work and set the heat on low. Make sure you do not defrost the chicken (so that it creates it's own natural juice). When you get home from work, it will be ready and waiting. Tastes really good served over rice and with green beans.

If you're a bachelor like me, this meal will impress a woman or two (or your mom if she comes to visit).

Here's a quick light meal from the Fossett Cookbook (shamelessly robbed from Gordon 'effin' Ramsey)...

Serves 2

30mins to prepare and cook

Ingredients:

2 x fresh Hake fillets (Cod will suffice if Hake can't be found)
250g cherry tomatoes (quartered)
8 spring/salad onions
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Small handful of fresh coriander
Fresh thyme (2/3 sprigs)
Sea Salt & Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
Splash of White Wine Vinegar

Check the hake fillets for any pin bones, removing any you find with a pair of tweezers. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Put 1 tbsp olive oil in a cold frying pan and lay the fish fillets on top, skin side down.

Slowly warm the pan over a low heat, then increase the heat to medium after a minute or two. Fry until the skin is golden and crisp, and the fillets are cooked two thirds of the way through.

Turn the fish over and cook the flesh side for 50-60 seconds only. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain; keep warm.

Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan and sauté the tomatoes and spring onions for a minute. Add the sugar and a splash of wine vinegar. Cook over a high heat for a minute or two until the vinegar has cooked off and the tomatoes are a little soft but still retaining their shape.

Season the tomatoes well, toss in the herbs and divide among two warm plates. Place the hake fillets, skin side up, on top and serve immediately.

Richmond Jake

ZG has a bolognese sauce cooking in the crock pot. The ingredients include pancetta, veggies, beef broth, roma tomatoes and ground beef. The house smells great!! We're serving it with polenta tonight but the recipe makes enough to serve with fettuccine and stuffed cannelloni on following evenings. We be eatin' good.

Richmond Jake

Don't let your meat loaf

So my meat loaf didn't exactly raise the roof on ZGs palate this evening. I really don't have a recipe, just kinda throw some ingredients together; ya know, whatever is in the house. It's a guy thing.

Anybody have a recipe they'd like to share?

Richmond Jake

Corn bread

We're looking for a good recipe. We've gone thru several. Tonight's was too runny but tasted good with the jalapeno peppers.

Anyone out there with a recipe to share? Please, I love good corn bread.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cornbread

We're looking for a good recipe. We've gone thru several. Tonight's was too runny but tasted good with the jalapeno peppers.

Anyone out there with a recipe to share? Please, I love good corn bread.

Yep....here's mine. It usually gets raves.

1 c. flour
1 c. cornmeal, yellow or white is up to you
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
1 1/4 c. buttermilk (can add another 1/4 c. if mix seems a little dry)
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425F
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly and make a well in the center. Mix wet ingredients together in a separate bowl and add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until moist and incorporated, the batter will still be kind of lumpy. Pour into greased pan until 2/3 full. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes until center is done-test with a toothpick or knife. You can also add 1/2 of corn kernels to the batter or a diced jalapeño.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tortellini "Soup"

This is a bit of a take on the Italian classic soup Pasta e Fagioli but much faster. Quite tasty and pretty healthy.

Gremolata:
1 bunch of parsley, stems removed and finely chopped (use a knife for best result)
1/2 italian bread crumbs (I like the panko style ones)
1 lemon, juiced and zested
Pinch of salt
Couple grinds of black pepper
1 teaspoon of olive oil

Mix together in a bowl and set aside.

Soup:
1 package of refrigerated cheese tortellini cooked and drained
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion medium dice
1 can of cannelini beans drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water + 2 broth cubes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 diced tomato or about 20 grape tomatoes halved
1 bunch spinach or arugula leaves stems removed

Cook tortellini until done while making the rest of the soup. In a pot large enough for all ingredients sautee the garlic and onion in the olive oil until a good aroma develops. Add chicken broth, beans, and herbs and simmer over medium for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked tortellini and bring back to a boil to heat it though. Toss in tomatoes and mix well. It will seem like there is a lot of pasta vs. broth but that's how its supposed to be.

To serve:
In a deep dish or a bowl add a layer of spinach or arugula leaves to the bottom, ladle the soup over top making sure to get a bit of everything and a bit of broth into the bowl. Garnish with the gremolata on top.

The idea is that it is a pasta, soup, and salad in one dish. Makes fabulous leftovers.

Flying Monkeys

Cyburbian
So my meat loaf didn't exactly raise the roof on ZGs palate this evening. I really don't have a recipe, just kinda throw some ingredients together; ya know, whatever is in the house. It's a guy thing.

Anybody have a recipe they'd like to share?

My meatloaf: 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 hot sausage (I use the mushy stuff in the tube) one minced onion, lots of garlic, italian bread crumbs, salt, pepper, paprika, etc. Mush together until it is an even colored lump. Form into french bread size loaf (wide, mabye not as long) spread on a can of tomato paste and some fresh basil and/or rosmary.....cover with tin foil and cook at 350 until the house smells yummy!

Enjoy!

zman

Cyburbian
We're cooking this for the southern style cajun boil for the 4th of July.

A Southern favorite from my Southern mother.

Try it, it's easy!

Double Batch, Shrimp Cheese Grits.

Grocery List

4 cans, Chicken Broth
2 cans, Rotel (regular)
2 cups, Stone Ground Grits
3-4 cloves garlic
2 packages, shredded Sharp Cheddar
2 packages, shredded Colby/Jack
2 lb bag, cooked shrimp (31-40/bag count)
2 eggs, beaten.

Now, put it together
Get out a large, non-stick stock pot.

Add:
-Chicken Broth
-Rotel

Bring to boil over high heat. Once boiling, stir in:
-The 2 cups of grits
and add:
2-3 cloves of crushed fresh garlic.

Turn the burner low and stir occasionally for 20-30 minutes or until the grits are done. Once done, take pot of burner.

Next add:
-1 ½ packages of each cheese (cheddar and cojack)
-2 eggs (beaten)
-2 lbs of shrimp (peel them and chop each shrimp in half)

Stir and put in 350° oven and heat until hot and bubbly.

NOTE: While :b: is not used in the recipe it is recommended that the chef consumer a bottle or two while cooking.

Richmond Jake

It appears that ZG is making goop la mange tonight (reference to Oscar Madison). I hope she gets it in the over soon as it's hard on the eyes. ;) :-D ;)

If you want the recipe...I can arrange for that.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It appears that ZG is making goop la mange tonight (reference to Oscar Madison). I hope she gets it in the over soon as it's hard on the eyes. ;) :-D ;)

If you want the recipe...I can arrange for that.

It's salsa chicken with rice. It looks "goopy" because the rice, salsa, sour cream, etc are mixed and then the chicken breasts are laid on top. Does this mean you won't be having dinner tonight? :r::r::r:

Richmond Jake

We've had a horrible weekend of cooking. First, I got this wild hair up my what ever yesterday to bake bread. Wrong. Big mistake. I screwed up big time. I'm trying again this afternoon.

Today, ZG decides to make oatmeal cookies. Another mistake.

They end up in the garbage. Yikes!

Does anybody have a good recipe for bread or oatmeal cookies?

kms

Cyburbian
When you make cookies, shape them and refrigerate them until the butter is solid again before you bake them. You can even freeze unbaked cookies and bake them right from the freezer.

Basic bread is 3 cups flour, 2 t yeast (1 little envelope), 1 cup water. You can add a tablespoon of suger, teaspoon of salt, 1/2 stick of melted butter, and half milk, half water. Mix it and knead it (Kitchen Aid mixer makes this easy). Let it rise for at least one hour. Flatten, shape and put into a buttered loaf pan and let it rise about an hour. Bake at 375 - 400 for about 35 min. When it's done, it will sound hollow if you thump it.

Make sure the yeast you use isn't past its use by date.

What went wrong with your bread?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anybody have a good recipe for bread or oatmeal cookies?

Ask zman about the bread. As far as the oatmeal cookies go....

3/4 c. butter or margarine (not spread!)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. flour
2 c. oats (quick or rolled)
1 c. raisin (if desired)

Beat the butter/margarine on high for 30 seconds until fluffy. Add the sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and beat until well combined scraping the bowl as needed. Add the eggs and beat until incorporated. Add the flour in 1/2 cup at a time and beat until mixed well, the last bit of flour might be hard to beat in with the mixer so just stir it in by hand. Stir in the oats by hand as well. Add the raisins if desired. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart as they need room to spread. Bake 10-12 minutes at 375F. The cookies might seem a little soft but they will harden some as they cool.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
kjelsadek gave me this recipe for soul cakes that I made for my religious ed class yesterday for All Soul's Day - they were a hit, so thanks!

3/4 cup of butter (use the real stuff)
3/4 cup of sugar
4 cup of flour
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice or equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
About 1/2 cup of milk, maybe more.
Dried currants for decorating

Cream softened butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time. Fold in flour and spices til incorporated and then add milk in until a soft dough forms, but not so much that it is sticky (should be like biscuit dough). Roll out 1/2" thick and cut out 2-3" rounds. Stud the top with currants in a cross design and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes until they are golden.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
tonight i shall be making potato & pepper soup. yum! easy, vegetarian, and when you double the recipe it provides meals for about a week.

sorry, recipe is at home.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
let them eat soup!

anyone have good recipe for either black bean or lentil soup?

i had Amy's Organic lentil vegetable soup yesterday and it was yummy. now i want to make some myself.

dbarch

Cyburbian
Lentil Soup

A favorite lentil soup at my house.

Lentil Soup Kuppin Gourmet | March 1990

by Laurel Blackmore Kuppin: Los Angeles, California
Yield: Makes about 16 cups, serving 8
ingredients
2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed (a one pound bag is a smidge over 2 cups)
3 cups beef broth
4 ribs celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups drained and chopped canned tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1/4 pound pancetta (Italian cured pork belly, available at specialty food shops) or ham
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
preparation

In a kettle combine the lentils, the broth, the celery, the carrots, the tomatoes, the oil, the onion, the parsley, the pancetta, the garlic, the salt, the pepper, and 7 cups water, bring the mixture to a boil and simmer it, covered, skimming the froth, for 1 1/2 hours. Just before serving discard the pancetta if desired and stir in the lemon juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle it with the Parmesan.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Cool summer meals suggestions

I remarked to the missus last night (okay, I complained) that chicken-seashell salad was getting a little old and was advised (okay, b*tched at) that it's really hot in the kitchen during the summer and I was welcome to expand the summer menu if I so chose and could even prepare it myself. Fine, I am attempting to do just that.

Anyone have any suggestions for (hopefully quick/easy) things to prepare in the summer for dinner that don't require a lot of heating. What do you fix when it's 90 out?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
When it's hot out: salad, salad, and more salad.

Vary the ingredients - greens and other vegetables - based on availability.

Add items in cans or jars: cannellini, chick peas, marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, tuna fish, walnuts... Be creative.

Serve with good bread (baguettes, rolls) and cheese.

I know this isn't a recipe, but when I'm hot and tired, I prefer to whip something up using whatever we have in the house. I also eat a lot of fruit and yogurt.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I remarked to the missus last night (okay, I complained) that chicken-seashell salad was getting a little old and was advised (okay, b*tched at) that it's really hot in the kitchen during the summer and I was welcome to expand the summer menu if I so chose and could even prepare it myself. Fine, I am attempting to do just that.

Anyone have any suggestions for (hopefully quick/easy) things to prepare in the summer for dinner that don't require a lot of heating. What do you fix when it's 90 out?

I like to make Taboule (sp?). I think the brand I buy is Near East or something like that, usually its next to the cous cous. On the box there is a recipe for a tabbouleh salad which calls for feta, lemon juice, olive oil, basil, tomato and cucumber.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Easy biscuits

2 cups of all purpose flour
2 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of salt
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
a dash or two of milk to make the dough moist enough - I didn't measure it but I am thinking at least a 1/4 cup.

Preheat over to 450.
Combine flour and whipping cream in a mixing bowl until just blended (dough will be stiff). Add a little milk to make the dough moist enough

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times. Roll out into 1/2 inch thickness and cut biscuits with cutter. Place biscuits close together but not touching on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Makes 12-14 biscuits.

The whipping cream substitutes for the butter or margarine commonly used and is much easier to mix with the other ingedients.

Planit

Cyburbian
As per your request

BSBH’s Sausage Soup

spicy Italian sausage rounds browned & drained
chopped onions
chopped celery
chopped carrots
clove of minced garlic
½ t dried oregano
1 can of drained cannelini beans
2 cans chicken broth
½ bunch of chopped kale,
salt and pepper to taste
another can of cannellini beans pureed

Brown and drain sausage. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic, oregano,1 can of the cannellini beans, chicken broth, kale, salt and pepper. Simmer at least 20 minutes and add another can of cannellini beans pureed. Simmer another 10-15 minutes; serve with grated parmesan cheese. Yum.

Note:Mrs. P left the kale in larger pieces, but next time she is going to chop them into a little bit smaller pieces. This is more for texture than anything else.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
BSBH’s Sausage Soup

chopped onions
chopped celery
chopped carrots
clove of minced garlic
½ t dried oregano
2 cans chicken broth
½ bunch of chopped kale,
salt and pepper to taste

Brown and drain sausage. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic, oregano,1 can of the cannellini beans, chicken broth, kale, salt and pepper. Simmer at least 20 minutes and add another can of cannellini beans pureed. Simmer another 10-15 minutes; serve with grated parmesan cheese. Yum.

Note:Mrs. P left the kale in larger pieces, but next time she is going to chop them into a little bit smaller pieces. This is more for texture than anything else.

Sounds good! We'll give this one a try some time soon

btrage

Cyburbian
Has anyone ever grilled corn? Not corn-on-the-cob, which I do all the time, but actual corn kernels? Any tips or ideas?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
BSBH’s Sausage Soup

chopped onions
chopped celery
chopped carrots
clove of minced garlic
½ t dried oregano
2 cans chicken broth
½ bunch of chopped kale,
salt and pepper to taste

Almost forgot....we tried this soup (minus the kale) a couple weeks ago using the recipe provided and it was as good as advertised.

LTKS

Cyburbian
Has anyone ever grilled corn? Not corn-on-the-cob, which I do all the time, but actual corn kernels? Any tips or ideas?

I like to cook mine in a cast iron pan with some shallots and a bit of butter or oil. The kernels get nice and charred, but caramelize and turn sweeter. Really good in couscous, too.

Planit

Cyburbian
Glad you liked the soup Maister - it has shown up again at our house. One addition is you might want to saute the onions & garlic first.

btrage - we've grilled corn several times. There are a couple options, but only over medium heat:
1) Open the husks and de-silk the corn. then put the husks back over the corn and soak in water for about 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Place the corn on the grill and turn several times.
2) Place an ear of corn (minus the husk) in foil, spread butter, salt & pepper in side and seal the corn in the foil. Place on grill and turn a couple times.
3) Place and ear of corn on the grill and turn several times being carful not to let it burn.
With each of these its more of a look & feel as to how long you grill it. Look for char marks, but not burns. Pretty easy stuff if you like to grill. Our favorite in option 2.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I like to cook mine in a cast iron pan with some shallots and a bit of butter or oil. The kernels get nice and charred, but caramelize and turn sweeter. Really good in couscous, too.

I do this and also add potatoes, and sometimes some hungarian sweet pepper. The cast iron pan is the key.

btrage

Cyburbian

I ended up just taking some frozen corn kernels and wrapping it up in some aluminium foil with some butter, salt & pepper and a little bit of seasoning salt.

Put is on the upper rack of the grill over medium heat for about 25 minutes, flipping the foil pack a few times.

It turned it pretty good. I'll do it again, maybe experiement with different seasonings.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Okay guys, listen up. I am going to grill steaks this weekend but need Teh World's Best Marinade recipe first.

Please provide the ingredients/recipe by no later than 5:00 pm EDT. Thanks in advance.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Okay guys, listen up. I am going to grill steaks this weekend but need Teh World's Best Marinade recipe first.

Please provide the ingredients/recipe by no later than 5:00 pm EDT. Thanks in advance.

Easy.

1 C. Scottish Ale (or lager... I don't like beer as much)
2 tsp. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Seasoned Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper

Marinade in ale for 1 or 2 hours. Then mix dry ingredients and rub on steaks. Let sit for at least 30 minutes. Then cook away. Depending on the ale it really gives a deep complex flavor to the meat.

Planit

Cyburbian
This was very good...

Carroty Mac and Cheese
From “Cook This Now,” by Melissa Clark.

2 cups whole wheat macaroni
2 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrot (about 8 small)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 cups grated sharp cheddar
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
GREASE an 8-inch square baking pan. Place rack in top third of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook macaroni according to package instructions in a large pot of salted boiling water; add carrot 3 minutes before pasta is finished cooking; drain well.
STIR butter and all but 1/2 cup cheddar into hot pasta. In a bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, eggs, salt, mustard powder and pepper. Fold into pasta. Scrape into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack about 30 minutes, until casserole is firm to touch and golden brown.
NOTE: Vary the cheese to give this rather plain (if tasty) dish more personality. Gruyre, aged cheddar, pecorino and aged Gouda will add a sophisticated allure. Also, add a dash of hot sauce, like Sriracha, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
I need ideas on what to do with leftover steak. I have a lot of it and have already had too much chili and burritos and sandwiches lately (my usual fall backs for leftover steak). Plz halp!!

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
You could try steak pozole! It is a spicy pre-Hispanic Mexican stew.

Pozole traditionally calls for pork or chicken, but I just made it Monday with all my leftover turkey and it was amazing! I also did it in a slow cooker instead of on the stove, so I'll give you a rundown of what I did and you can adjust it for your cooking skills and tastes. I bet it will taste amazing with steak.

Ingredients:
1 onion
3 jalapeno peppers
4 cloves of garlic
2-3 cans of white hominy
1-2 pounds of meat, depending on how meaty you want it, shredded or cut into strips
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
3-5 cups of broth (enough to cover the entire stew mixture and some extra)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Garnish:
1 lime
1 head of your preferred lettuce (I also included cilantro)

If the meat is already cooked, just throw all the ingredients except the garnish into the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour, then low for 3 or 4 hours.

If it isn't cooked, you should boil it before throwing into the slow cooker.

Once you are satisfied with its flavor, serve in bowls with shredded lettuce on top and a squeeze of lime juice.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
You could try steak pozole! It is a spicy pre-Hispanic Mexican stew.

Pozole traditionally calls for pork or chicken, but I just made it Monday with all my leftover turkey and it was amazing! I also did it in a slow cooker instead of on the stove, so I'll give you a rundown of what I did and you can adjust it for your cooking skills and tastes. I bet it will taste amazing with steak.

Ingredients:
1 onion
3 jalapeno peppers
4 cloves of garlic
2-3 cans of white hominy
1-2 pounds of meat, depending on how meaty you want it, shredded or cut into strips
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
3-5 cups of broth (enough to cover the entire stew mixture and some extra)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Garnish:
1 lime
1 head of your preferred lettuce (I also included cilantro)

If the meat is already cooked, just throw all the ingredients except the garnish into the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour, then low for 3 or 4 hours.

If it isn't cooked, you should boil it before throwing into the slow cooker.

Once you are satisfied with its flavor, serve in bowls with shredded lettuce on top and a squeeze of lime juice.

This is a great idea but I love Pesole.

Another possiblity for leftover steak is make a steak potpie. We did this last night...we did not follow a recipe, just made some savory pie dough, sauteed some root vegatbles and mushrooms, added a gravy packet and 30 minutes later we had dinner. You could also find a pasty recipe.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
ohh that pozole sounds delicious but I think I will have to try that some other time when I have more time. I'm leaning towards a steak pot pie per brocktoon at the moment . Yum :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have been known to slice it thin and stir fry with teriyaki sauce, pineapple, water chestnuts, sugar snap peas, and sometimes other vegetables depending on what is ripening in the garden. Nothing fancy, but quick and good.

Richmond Jake

Try this one. ZG made this tonight. Highly recommended. Good winter dish.
Serve it with a light pinot noir or a big chardonnay.

Recipe: Baked gnocchi

Ingredients
2, 17-ounce packages potato gnocchi, such as DeCecco
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
12 ounces baby spinach leaves
3 ounces goat cheese (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the gnocchi in a lightly greased 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish. Set aside. In a medium saucepan whisk together the cream, chicken broth, and the flour over medium heat. Continue whisking until the cream is simmering and thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and stir to combine. Add the spinach and toss to coat in the cream. Pour the cream and spinach mixture evenly over the gnocchi and gently spread the spinach out to cover. Crumble the goat cheese over the spinach. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake until the top is golden in places, about 30 minutes.

EDIT: Then finish the bottle of wine, and sit in the hot tub. That works for me.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Try this one. ZG made this tonight. Highly recommended. Good winter dish.
Serve it with a light pinot noir or a big chardonnay.

Recipe: Baked gnocchi

Ingredients
2, 17-ounce packages potato gnocchi, such as DeCecco
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
12 ounces baby spinach leaves
3 ounces goat cheese (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the gnocchi in a lightly greased 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish. Set aside. In a medium saucepan whisk together the cream, chicken broth, and the flour over medium heat. Continue whisking until the cream is simmering and thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and stir to combine. Add the spinach and toss to coat in the cream. Pour the cream and spinach mixture evenly over the gnocchi and gently spread the spinach out to cover. Crumble the goat cheese over the spinach. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake until the top is golden in places, about 30 minutes.

EDIT: Then finish the bottle of wine, and sit in the hot tub. That works for me.

I don't have the hot tub option, but that sounds yummy. Cream sauce, goat cheese, and more cheese: not exactly low-fat... but this would be received very well in my household. :D Well, the spinach is healthy, isn't it? You could also substitute spinach gnocchi.

A bottle of chardonnay cancels out the fat - did you know that? :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bear's Chili

I think I posted this recipe on another thread. Here it is again.....

2 to 3 pounds of ground chuck or ground turkey; fry it up, baby!
Couple big onions, diced
Green pepper, diced.
Big package of fresh mushrooms; dice about half of them, throw the others in whole
Big can of stewed tomatoes
Big can of red kidney beans
Jar of button mushrooms
2 large cans of Campbell's Tomato Juice
Full jar of Paul Newman's Own Salsa (This Bear was using "Hot" but Katie asked me to "tone it down" so I now use "Medium")

After all the goodies are in the (big) pot cover the entire surface area with a slick of chili powder. Stir it in. Do it again.
Sprinkle in a "bit" of Red Pepper

Stir it up real good. Taste it to give you a starting point. Add in a tablespoon of sugar. Stir. Keep adding suger to your desired taste. Bring the whole thing to a boil, stirring every so often so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. Lower the heat and simmer it, stirring occasionally, for a few hours.

Day 1 - Eat as a normal bowl of chili, with Ritz Crackers or Oyster Crackers.
Day 2 - Do as follows.....

Break-up lettuce in a big bowl. Take some Taco Shells and crunch them up into the bowl. Pour the chili over the lettuce and shell pieces. Slice Colby Jack (or your favorite) cheese on the top. Nuke it in that machine in your kitchen.

Enjoy! :p

Bear