• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Recipe Thread

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I don't have the hot tub option, but that sounds yummy. Cream sauce, goat cheese, and more cheese: not exactly low-fat... but this would be received very well in my household. :D Well, the spinach is healthy, isn't it? You could also substitute spinach gnocchi.

A bottle of chardonnay cancels out the fat - did you know that? :)

RJ forgot to mention that we added some browned Italian sausage. And the recipe halved very nicely, with the same cook time.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gotta try this.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...ncakes-taste-incredible/ar-BBJFahg?li=BBnb7Kz
Sounds like a Saturday morning thing for sure.

Before vegetable oil was a thing everything was fried in lard ;)

I suggest baking the bacon on a sheet pan in the oven at 400F for about 15 minutes. You can line the pan with foil or parchment if you like. Start checking at 12 minutes to see if it's done. You can then drain the bacon grease from the pan and avoid burnt bacon aroma in the bacon grease.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

I suggest baking the bacon on a sheet pan in the oven at 400F for about 15 minutes. You can line the pan with foil or parchment if you like. Start checking at 12 minutes to see if it's done. You can then drain the bacon grease from the pan and avoid burnt bacon aroma in the bacon grease.

For the record, I tried that method of making pancakes this weekend...and they were delicious.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the record, I tried that method of making pancakes this weekend...and they were delicious.

I am sure they were! My farm wife grandmother used to have a can of "drippings" that she used instead of oil.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I am sure they were! My farm wife grandmother used to have a can of "drippings" that she used instead of oil.

Farm wife grandmother? Such an interesting description. Is this a wife SLASH grandmother who lives on a farm? What a weird combination! ;)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

I remember the white tubs of lard. My mom used it for making pie crust and other things. Yes we also used the left over grease from bacon to fry our eggs in. One of my grandfathers used it for red eye gravy.:victory:

WATERGATE SALAD

This was mentioned as a favorite side dish in the Favorite Thanksgiving sides? thread:
Watergate salad/pistachio pudding is my favorite side.
on nice - I did forget that - when I was a kid, that's what my aunt used to make and I loved it! good call

1606022531962.png
It occurred to me that some people might not know what Watergate Salad is, and that most people wouldn't know how to make it. The recipe is so easy and delicious that I put it here.

WATERGATE SALAD (Sort of a Dessert)

Ingredients:
One 3.4oz package of instant pistachio pudding. (Jello brand makes it.)
Two 8-ounce cans of crushed pineapple in juice. (Not in syrup.)
One 8-ounce container of frozen "whipped cream" topping. (Like Cool whip.)
1 cup of miniature marshmallows
@ 4oz chopped toasted pecans

Directions:
Make this about one day before you're going to serve it.
Defrost the whipped topping - leave in fridge.
  • Pour the cans of pineapple, including the juice, into a medium bowl.
  • Empty package of pistachio pudding mix into that bowl.
  • Stir with spoon, until smooth.
  • Pour all whipped topping and marshmallows into bowl and fold** them into that green mixture.
  • Cover the bowl and put it in the refrigerator.
Take the bowl out the next day, when you're about to serve it.
Before you serve it, sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.

**Folding: It you don't know how- it's really easy.
Take out any big spoon or small spatula.
Follow any short youtube video (less than 2 min).
If you don't know which video to choose, this dude knows how to fold & his video is very funny:

BTW- This recipe tastes just as delicious if you accidently fold too much and end up completely mixing.

If anybody's interested in this as a side dish before or with dinner, just ask which ingredient needs to be changed.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
WATERGATE SALAD

This was mentioned as a favorite side dish in the Favorite Thanksgiving sides? thread:

View attachment 49677
It occurred to me that some people might not know what Watergate Salad is, and that most people wouldn't know how to make it. The recipe is so easy and delicious that I put it here.

WATERGATE SALAD (Sort of a Dessert)

Ingredients:
One 3.4oz package of instant pistachio pudding. (Jello brand makes it.)
Two 8-ounce cans of crushed pineapple in juice. (Not in syrup.)
One 8-ounce container of frozen "whipped cream" topping. (Like Cool whip.)
1 cup of miniature marshmallows
@ 4oz chopped toasted pecans

Directions:
Make this about one day before you're going to serve it.
Defrost the whipped topping - leave in fridge.
  • Pour the cans of pineapple, including the juice, into a medium bowl.
  • Empty package of pistachio pudding mix into that bowl.
  • Stir with spoon, until smooth.
  • Pour all whipped topping and marshmallows into bowl and fold** them into that green mixture.
  • Cover the bowl and put it in the refrigerator.
Take the bowl out the next day, when you're about to serve it.
Before you serve it, sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.

**Folding: It you don't know how- it's really easy.
Take out any big spoon or small spatula.
Follow any short youtube video (less than 2 min).
If you don't know which video to choose, this dude knows how to fold & his video is very funny:

BTW- This recipe tastes just as delicious if you accidently fold too much and end up completely mixing.

If anybody's interested in this as a side dish before or with dinner, just ask which ingredient needs to be changed.
Thanks and good to know I'm not the only who likes it.