• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Today I Learned Thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Today I learned a new word: Skeuomorph.

From Wikipedia:

A skeuomorph ... is a derivative object that retains ornamental design cues to a structure that was necessary in the original. Skeuomorphs may be deliberately employed to make the new look comfortably old and familiar, such as copper cladding on zinc pennies or computer printed postage with circular town name and cancellation lines. An alternative definition is "an element of design or structure that serves little or no purpose in the artifact fashioned from the new material but was essential to the object made from the original material.

Some example cited include:

• Various spoke patterns in automobile hubcaps and wheels leftover from carriage wheel construction
  • Fake woodgrain printing on thousands of modern items of plastic, Formica, or pressboard furniture
  • Fake stitching in plastic items that used to be made of leather or vinyl and actually stitched together
  • Tiny, non-functional handles on small maple syrup jugs
  • Elaborate lacing on children's Velcro-secured shoes
  • Digital depictions of buttons, sliders, dials, turning pages and other mechanical controls on the buttonless surface of touchscreen devices

Planit

Cyburbian
There are only a couple of parcels in a certain Cyburbian's town where you could place a topless carwash (if one wanted to).

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Today I learned that as much as I love birds, recently-fledged crows can be extremely noisy!

Apparently the entire murder of crows (I was just dying to say that! :r:) was outside my office window, searching for edible insects on the ground while I was trying to carry on a phone conversation.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Today I learned what it looks like when someone tries to build a house in an estuary.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There is still such a thing as compromise in Washington....:r: Even if both sides crazy people yell and scream...

74-26
269-161

Presidential Signature.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Dude the Hipsters love that thing they stand in line for an hour to eat off a truck. I watched em from the air-conditioned ham place across the street.

I'm hoping it's around the next time I am downtown because I want to give it a try. I'll bring some additional suburban hipster flair!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today I learned that one can spend 5.5 hours at the doctor's office :not:

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm hoping it's around the next time I am downtown because I want to give it a try. I'll bring some additional suburban hipster flair!

Sorry to break this to you living in the Hills just makes you a fancy lad. You got no urban hipster cred. Hell I lived in the City for 40 years and I no longer have it cuz I moved to Wayne County's land of the fancy lads! :)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Sorry to break this to you living in the Hills just makes you a fancy lad. You got no urban hipster cred. Hell I lived in the City for 40 years and I no longer have it cuz I moved to Wayne County's land of the fancy lads! :)

Actually, now that they no longer have a Brooks Brothers in the Ren Cen, I really have no excuse to come to the city. :not:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
TIL the singular form of "spaghetti" is "spaghetto".

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
TIL that it takes a squirrel about 2 weeks to figure out how to get around the vaseline-slicked bird feeder pole and make an upward leap from a flimsy miniature japanese maple. :-@

I can chase one off, but when his little friends see him and replicate the deed, I'm in trouble again.

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
I haven't learned anything yet today.
But yesterday I learned that:
Raspberry vodka and cream soda mix much better than you might expect. The youngins called it a raspberry beret.

That cute little fuzzy white caterpillar that we've seen around the yard the last few weeks is in fact called the Hickory Tussock Moth caterpillar and its hairs and barbs are poisonous. Ouch.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Asian Longhorned Beetle is the next coming (and much worse) than the Emerald Ash Borer.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I can exclaim in a way too loud voice that I want to wring an Alderman's fu<%!n8 neck and get away with it. But I'm the boss so I guess I can do it. It still was wrong.:-$

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
Today I learned that if you have a flash drive in the shape of a pink octopus, its better to call it an Octo-flash than a flash-o-___.

True story. He's right here on my desk. Staring at me.

Planit

Cyburbian
Today I learned that if you have a flash drive in the shape of a pink octopus, its better to call it an Octo-flash than a flash-o-___.

True story. He's right here on my desk. Staring at me.

Well especially if its an 8 GB flash drive

otterpop

Cyburbian
The string theory and the 11 dimensions

Thanks to my son, who asked me to explain string theory to him, which of course I really couldn't to his satisfaction. I learned today about the fundamentals of the theory and the theoretical 11 dimensions that make the theory possible. I haven't gotten my mind around the 11 dimensions yet, but, give me time, and maybe I will.

The thought that Anne Hathaway exists in 11 dimensions is mind-boggling, because the three dimensions of her I already enjoy are pretty damn awesome.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I learned that the city is getting greedy and requiring a 2" water line to a residential property now and that they are charging $250 to review each application. :-{

kms

Cyburbian
Today I learned that I don’t have the upper body strength to climb a fence. I can hike and I can ride a bike pretty fast, but I can’t climb a fence.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There are 14 indigenous languages (includes 3 sign languages) in the British Isles.

Now I'm debating whether I want to get a degree in Engineering or Manx Gaelic poetry.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
There are 14 indigenous languages (includes 3 sign languages) in the British Isles.

Now I'm debating whether I want to get a degree in Engineering or Manx Gaelic poetry.

I'd go with the Manx Gaelic poetry degree. You can accumulate 75K in student loan debt, be surprised you don't have a job that could possibly pay that off and then expect the government to make sure the loan is forgiven. :r:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'd go with the Manx Gaelic poetry degree. You can accumulate 75K in student loan debt, be surprised you don't have a job that could possibly pay that off and then expect the government to make sure the loan is forgiven. :r:
Again, one of the reason I ended up with a degree in public administration is so I would have a job after I got out. Getting a degree in American History would have been fun and interesting. There were and are limited job prospects with that degree. It's also a reason I didn't get a degree in journalism though I wrote for both my high school and college newspapers. I lot of competition for a few jobs that didn't pay much.

Today I learned that there are two different "Today I Learned" threads and you can read interesting things on both of them. The other thread:
"Somebody" on ^that^ thread just described how to breed a camel that has one-and-a-half humps.:ha:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Again, one of the reason I ended up with a degree in public administration is so I would have a job after I got out. Getting a degree in American History would have been fun and interesting. There were and are limited job prospects with that degree. It's also a reason I didn't get a degree in journalism though I wrote for both my high school and college newspapers. I lot of competition for a few jobs that didn't pay much.
My BA is History, but thankfully the same University had a MUP program. Phew.

:)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My BA is History, but thankfully the same University had a MUP program. Phew.

:)
That's a change, what made you decide to go into Planning? Don't get me wrong, History degrees and the such are fine. However, there seems to limited job opportunities. Plus the academic world seems pretty cut throat.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
That's a change, what made you decide to go into Planning? Don't get me wrong, History degrees and the such are fine. However, there seems to limited job opportunities. Plus the academic world seems pretty cut throat.
History was not going to be a 'profession' for me.

Once I got into my MUP program, I realized (and it's been reinforced, so far, by my 18 years of practice) that the history of a place defines it's present and directly influences it's future.

Plus, my MUP program had wide range of undergraduate degrees in it - Enviro Science, Math, English, Architecture, PoliSci, History, etc.

My other path may have been going into the Museum Studies program.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
History was not going to be 'professional' for me.

Once I got into my MUP, I realized (and it's been reinforced, so far, by my 18 years of practice) that the history a place defines it's present and directly influences it's future.

Plus, my MUP program had wide range of undergraduate degrees in it - Enviro Science, Math, English, Architecture, PoliSci, History, etc.

My other path may have been a going to the Museum Studies program.
ok, thanks. That is interesting. Besides journalism, I considered law school and becoming a lawyer. Interesting why people make their career decisions.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
ok, thanks. That is interesting. Besides journalism, I considered law school and becoming a lawyer. Interesting why people make their career decisions.
Plus, my University had specific dual master degree tracks one could take (if accepted) with Arch, Urban Design, Law, EnviroSci and PubAdmin. So in about 3 years you could have two very marketable degrees from a top rated public University.

But that was not for me. I think I've done alright so far with just my MUP.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Plus, my University had specific dual master degree tracks one could take (if accepted) with Arch, Urban Design, Law, EnviroSci and PubAdmin. So in about 3 years you could have two very marketable degrees from a top rated public University.

But that was not for me. I think I've done alright so far with just my MUP.
I don't regret being a Planner. It has proven to be the right choice for me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today I learned that there are two different "Today I Learned" threads and you can read interesting things on both of them. The other thread:
"Somebody" on ^that^ thread just described how to breed a camel that has one-and-a-half humps.:ha:
See, this one is the 'NEVERENDING Today I Learned' thread. Please note there's a BIG difference between the two threads. The other one, you see, has a start and a(n eventual) finish, whereas this one is eternal and shall reverberate through the universe long after cosmic entropy has run its course.

Today I learned:
See, this one is the 'NEVERENDING Today I Learned' thread. Please note there's a BIG difference between the two threads. The other one, you see, has a start and a(n eventual) finish, whereas this one is eternal and shall reverberate through the universe long after cosmic entropy has run its course.
Specifically, I learned that entropy - not enthalpy - will be running the final course of the cosmos.​

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I too was a History major (BA in World History). I had been on a teaching track, but soon discovered teaching was BS. I also happened to graduate during a severe recession, so I labored for a few years before earning an MSHP. My luck held again and I could not find a job in preservation due to an economic slump, so I landed a planning gig (with preservation sidebar). Thirty-two years later, here I am with the same muni.

What I learned today was, had there not been a recession in the early 80s, I might well have been a tenured history professor at some small school somewhere and my life would be very different indeed.

Today I learned that Michigan's UP counties that share their border with Wisconsin are on U.S. CENTRAL TIME!!
1603740293542.png
Wikimedia Commons courtesy of User:Elliot321

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Approximately 100 acres of pizza are consumed in the United States every day. 3 billion pizzas are sold each year (that's 350 slices every second).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today I learned that if you type "Illuminati" backwards into a search engine - Itanimulli - you will be directed to the NSA's website.