• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
We are looking at sleet on Thursday, starting mid-morning...at least that means I'll only have to deal with one screwed-up rush hour.:r:

As usual, the early weather forecasts missed the start time for the wintry mix by about six hours - sleet at 3 a.m., and a steady rain ever since - all of the ice and snow is north and east of here.

All you Carolina folks having fun with the snow???

Planit

Cyburbian
As usual, the early weather forecasts missed the start time for the wintry mix by about six hours - sleet at 3 a.m., and a steady rain ever since - all of the ice and snow is north and east of here.

All you Carolina folks having fun with the snow???

Snow this morning has now turned to sleet. Drove to work without a problem (snow was just starting to lay on the ground). As long as it stays about 32 degrees, the roads should be fine. I'm gonna take my laptop and head home in about 30 minutes.

zman

Cyburbian
High temps of FIVE (5) degrees, (-15 degrees Celsius) for Colorado's Urban Corridor tomorrow.

Jen

Cyburbian
colder rhan snot

my left pinky is feeling numb.and no heat in the floor yet, all that glass. We've been wearing our beanies in the house.

im all for industrial cold! lets reform some glaciers people!

graciela

Cyburbian
Here are some of my pics of the "dreaded wintery mix." Please ignore my finger in the first pic. I was trying to shield my camera from the rain.

It started melting by 9:00 this morning. I wish it had been cold enough to make it fun. I miss snow.

homer_ice7.jpg

homer_ice6.jpg

homer_ice3.jpg

homer_ice2.jpg

homer_ice.jpg

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We just had the first rumbles of a thunderstorm which passed thru the panhandle earlier; we can expect lightning, heavy rain, and thunder all night. Crap.:-( This is abnormal for "winter" in Florida.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Central Florida tornadoes

No reports of damage in my county so far.

My brother who is in Lake County had his family in the utility room at 3:30 this morning when he "heard the train". Apparently the tornado that hit Deland. No damage at his place. His son, who is an EMT, was on duty overnight and dispatched to one of the mobile home parks in Lady Lake that was flattened. He called his dad at 5:30 and said there were bodies and injured people all over the place.

Nine years ago this month, tornadoes killed 42 people and injured almost 300 here in central Florida. Hope this one doesn't end up being that bad.

Senior Jefe

Cyburbian
It was 12F degrees below zero at my house this morning. The good news was no new snow here from this latest front. I'm really looking forward to it breaking 40F next week!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
30 below zero wind chills tonight. Below zero temps.

Firing up the space heaters to keep the pipes from freezing in the crawlspace!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Not quite as bitter cold as Chet's old Bavarian metro.....here in Swanton, OH, somewhat bedroom-wise attached to the Toledo metro. We are expecting some temps to slide to about minus-5F on Monday morning.....high temps in the single digits for a day or two. We have had much colder days in T-Town......it is just that this year has been so dang mild, the cold temps are "talk-worthy".

The wind is what will make it seem cold. We are expecting minus 20F to minus 30F wind chills for the next couple of days. Gotta make sure that the industrial-strength mittens are in the truck, just in case.

Appreciating Summer, I am.....

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Seen on my regional NWS website -

"Infamous Tornadoes" Severe Weather Seminar coming March 16.

.... which will review our nation’s deadliest tornado, the Great Tri-State Tornado of March 18, 1925, and our nation’s deadliest tornado of this decade, the November 6, 2005 Evansville tornado.
Additional information will be posted to this web page as the event draws closer.

Interesting if you are a severe weather geek. :-$

Are you a NWS trained weather spotter ?

natski

Cyburbian
I love reading this weather thread, when you guys have freezing cold weather and well is bloody stinking hot here. Wasnt pleasant yesterday- decided to play some tennis in 35 degree C temp. Its a bit cooler today with the cloud cover and a possible shower or so.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Geez, it is COLD for Florida at RJ's place. The temp stayed at 39 d. all day! Sure made the hot tub feel good, though.:-D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
West Michigan is in Blizzard Warning all day (might end sometime tonight), along with a wind chill of 20 to 30 below zero.

I just hope the snow does not go away too soon, I want to ski!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Frozen Tozen Ice Cube Weather Randoms

White Out Random.....I drove in to the office very early Saturday morning (about 4:30 AM). High winds were still blowing the snow all over the north-south country roads, creating drifting, black ice conditions, and white out conditions. On the way back home (just a couple hours later) the winds had calmed and it was not so bad.

However.....later in the afternoon on Saturday, white out conditions all through northern Ohio and many parts of Michigan, created huge multi-vehicle crashes. The Toledo area (south of Bowling Green and just east of Swanton) had some particularly bad crashes, leaving a number of people dead. The BG crash involved more than 20 vehicles. (So glad my driving for the day was over.)

Temperature Random.....First time below zero F in NW Ohio in a long time. Dropped to somewhere around 8-below F.....more of the same tonight....."heat wave" due by mid-week, with temps roaring to a blistering 20F. :)

Tornado Spotter Random.....JNA.....years ago I developed our Severe Weather Procedures for my distribution center, including arranging for some employees to be "spotters". Not really in the clinical sense, though.....no real training, other than watching the conditions, especially the typical front line approaching.....and good monitoring of web-based weather and a weather radio.

My company is near the western edge of Lucas County, and often when the NWS issues a "Tornado Warning" for the county, it has already been spotted (or has been identified on radar) in the county. A few years ago a small tornado went through a rural area a mile north of my company and destroyed a house. The sirens went off about 5 minutes after that happened, so if we would have been hit, so be it. :-c

Move To Alaska If You Want Warm Weather Random.....The other day I checked the weather forecast for Barrow, Alaska. This little town, with buildings on stilts because the heat from the structures would melt the permafrost and the buildings would sink, is in the middle of an unusual "warm spell".

Barrow is located on the Arctic Ocean and is normally one of the coldest places on earth. Temps for Friday were predicted to be 17F. Much warmer than the cities and places in the Great Lakes and east coast.

Cyburbia Weather Reporting Random.....natski brings up an interesting point. With all of the different geographic locations for the regular-posting Cyburbians, we get a real taste of how the weather is around the globe.
(Or at least, the U.S., Canada, and Australia.)

Da Bear

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It is -40 (so cold it is the same temperature in Farenheit and Celcius) with the windchill this morning. Yes, just a bit chilly.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
we are going through 2 bags a day of pellets in our stove - it's very cold in Maine these days - :-c

OT: haven't forgotten you, whose your planner, need to go shopping this week!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Ambient temperature of four degrees Farenheit outside at my place this morning. I hop out of bed and it's really cold and I wonder whether Mrs. G turned down the heat before bed. Nah, I conclude, she really dislikes the cold. I head down to the thermostat and I can hear the furnace blasting. Uh oh. Set at 70F, the temperature is bottomed out at 50 and cold air is blowing out the register. So much for a shower this morning.;)

Mrs. G awaits the repairman.

biscuit

Cyburbian
It is -40 (so cold it is the same temperature in Farenheit and Celcius) with the windchill this morning. Yes, just a bit chilly.
Good lord that's cold. So does that famous Canadian health-care system cover the cost of wool sweaters and brandy shots? ;-)

The thermometer read an air temp of -4 while I was walking to the office this morning. Even more fun is discovering that the heat is out in my building. Why are we still here!!! :-@

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Air temps of -9F here in Chicagoland (average) with wind chills of -26F.

It's damn-arse cold here, but it doesn't seem to bother my dog, though. She's happy as a clam and actually still rolling in the remnants of snow we have on the ground. Silly dog!

TOFB

Cyburbian
-10 air/-36 wind chill Saturday Night.

Great time for a flat tire:(

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Had my turn at that a week and a half ago :(

It's 12F with -3F wind chill out and I have to go stand outside and wait for the bus.

SGB

Cyburbian

Mid teens and breezy (read: wind chill) on Sunday afternoon wasn't a much better time for flat tire either. Especially right before lunch with the wife & young-'uns. :r:

Thankfully, we were right in town, and the local garage was able to fix it that afternoon. [cue Green Acres theme song]

Budgie

Cyburbian
We're supposed to get significantly above freezing tomorrow. WOO HOO, it's time for a long walk.

Tresmo

Cyburbian
My gentleman friend, Mr. Tresmo, found a boat on Craigslist so I went (frozen) boat shopping in Motown yesterday... I stood outside for about 10 minutes before two of us gave up and sat in the truck and defrosted our feet...for about 2 hours while the whole deal went down :-( . The man selling the boat had a little dog that ran outside and immediately started twitching from the cold. Poor thing. Anyway, it was really just a fabulous day to buy a boat! ;-) And a fabulous day to drive 4 hours home. At midnight. Thank god nothing went wrong. :-|

And it's still #$^#$ cold. I keep looking for relief, but there's really none in sight, unless you count a potential high of 20!!! Yeehaw!!!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I just saw this on CNN:

"It was so cold in Toledo, Ohio -- 5 above zero at noon, up from 4 below -- that the city closed its outdoor ice rink. "The irony is not lost on us," said city spokesman Brian Schwartz. "

Holy cow! :-c

TOFB

Cyburbian
It has warmed up to +8 air/-11 windchill so I ventured down to the water and took a few pics:IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We're in a tornado warning

One has just come off the Gulf heading toward our office. They're watching another cell develop, too. I think I'll stay in the office for awhile...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
In the middle of a nice winter blizzard here in Chicagoland.

We'll get about 6-8 inches of snow and it is about 20F.

A very nice Great Lakes winter (for now). Will probably take the pooch sledding tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

noottamevas

Cyburbian
In the middle of a nice winter blizzard here in Chicagoland.

We'll get about 6-8 inches of snow and it is about 20F.

A very nice Great Lakes winter (for now). Will probably take the pooch sledding tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

We have a couple inches of ice and now a couple incheas of snow on top of that. They are now predicting 6 to 12 here. Expecting to lose power anytime. Make Ameren earn their rate increase.:-@

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
South of savemattoon - 40 & rain.

Forecast calls for periods of snow, freezing rain and sleet. :p
Temperature falling to around 30 by 5pm.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
East of JNA, 37F, rain, supposedly changing to sleet, ice, and up to 1/2 snow later this afternoon and tonight.

Five frikkin degrees away from a fanstastic snowstorm. I hate southern Indiana winter.^o)

jmac

Cyburbian
Just got word that the office is closing early today... it's snowing pretty hard out there right now. I'm actually looking forward to shoveling the sidewalks today - haven't seen a good snowstorm in a long time.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
East of JNA, 37F, rain, supposedly changing to sleet, ice, and up to 1/2 snow later this afternoon and tonight.

Five frikkin degrees away from a fanstastic snowstorm. I hate southern Indiana winter.^o)

You could always go 2 hours to the north and enjoy the nice blizzard we're having.:r:

boiker

Cyburbian
Yep.. blizzarding ^o) here all day. about 6-7 inches on the ground. Everything closed or let out early today.... expcept for City offices. County, State, Schools and Federal gov. offices are all closed today.

Funny, you'd think it would've been quiet today. I've been just as busy as ever.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Just got word that the office is closing early today... it's snowing pretty hard out there right now. I'm actually looking forward to shoveling the sidewalks today - haven't seen a good snowstorm in a long time.
Same here. I'm sure the ride home will be long and crowded. I'll get in, shovel the walk, call the neighbors and maybe have a snow day party. Yea-Ha!

Update:
KDKA said the snow will keep falling, freeze up tonight and then snow more tomorrow. I'd like to think that I'll be off tomorrow, but as long as PAT is moving I will be too.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Definitely can not drive in the snow/rain/slush mix that is falling even in the Outback. Having a Floridian drive in icky snowy weather is not a good mix.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Blizzard Valentine

First actual NWS Blizzard Warning for Lucas County (Toledo, OH) since 1978. :)

The worst is supposed to be tonight, as those isobars wrap tighter, the winds pick up, and the fluffy snow that has fallen so far (7"?) is joined by another 5" or so.

Mother Nature is kinda cool. :) :)
_____

I brought all my employees together at 3:20 PM, Tuesday, and gave them all a quick update on the different "levels" of snow emergencies in the Toledo area, and surrounding counties. So there were no surprises, I read to them the official company policy for events such as this.....making sure they understand when and if they would be penalized for tardiness or being absent.

I told my 2nd Shift Supervisors that if Lucas County kicked into a Level 3 Emergency then all night shift employees were to be sent home. If there would be a Level 3 in the morning (Wednesday), our entire facility would be closed for the day.

It has been a long time since we have had to deal with a major winter storm.

BTW.....Z-Man.....my black Toyota Tacoma 4WD runs super-dee-duper in these conditions.....including blasting through the farmland drifts.

Fun stuff. :-D

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's 22F and freezing rain is coming down. I slipped and fell coming out of the Barnes & Noble and fell on my a$$. I got back up took another two steps and went down again. I wanna go home to SC now please.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Level 3 Emergency

As expected, Toledo's home county, Lucas County, went into a Level 3 Snow Emergency at 4:30 AM, Wednesday, 2-14-07. That level means that if you are on the road you will be arrested, unless you have a reason such as medical, essential personnel at a facility, member of news media, government employee mandated to report to work, etc.

This is our first Level 3 in years.

I actually watched a little bit of the local news early this morning, saw the list of closings due to the weather, but the station made no reference to the Level 3. I cleaned the snow off the truck and started down the highway. About a mile from home I heard on the radio the Level 3 announcement and I turned around.

As indicated in a post yesterday, I had already told all my employees not to report if Lucas County kicks into a Level 3.

This storm seems minor compared to the infamous "Blizzard Of 78". But times have changed, including packs of roaming lawyers who yell in lawsuit terms everytime somebody does "anything".
_____

Ohio has the 3 levels.....Level 1 just indicates severe winter weather, be aware of hazardous conditions.....Level 2 indicates that all driving should be curtailed, only go out if necessary.....Level 3, you will be arrested. :-c

I will probably stir up many of you.....I have a problem (I do practice "Libertarianish" views) with Level 3. If I want to go out I should be able to go out.

I am also old enough to know that this will probably never happen again during my lifetime, so why worry. :-D

What about your state? Do the county sheriffs have the authority to determine "Snow Emergency Levels", as they do here in Ohio?

No comments from the peanut gallery located in warmer states..... ;)

Bear With Handcuffs

kms

Cyburbian
I granted myself a snow day today. The rains caused a lot of ice, and I don't want to fight it, nor compete with other drivers.

I understand that my boss does not close the office for weather, so I may work on Presidents' day, but he is pretty understanding when I need a day off.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Snow day for us too! TG because I am too nervous about driving in this stuff after it has been raining ice.

BUN, I have no idea if PA has a snow emergency indicator for being on the road.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kid out of school today due to the ice. Rutgers-New Brunswick in their *ahem* infinite wisdom *ahem* still open :-c but I am not going out in this crap and will work from home. I'm supposed to go up to NYC for dinner tonight...not sure that's going to happen if this crap keeps coming down.