• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Calling for wind chills in the -30 somethings tomorrow. Brrrr

I didn't realize they were forecasting such low windchills. Today they are forecasting windchills here of -5º to -15º during the day and tomorrow is supposed to be between -25º and -35º. That's crazy! Thursday is looking to be the same and Friday will be a heatwave with windchills only around -13º!

I think we ended up with maybe 6" or 7" of snow yesterday and thankfully it stopped early enough that the roads were clear today and the schools were open.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had a little snow of my windshield this morning at that was it. It's is cold and damp here. I even broke out my winter coat from up north.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Next 48 hours. I work only a 1 1/2 miles from my house but for the first time ever I am staying home on account of cold.

1548786498067.png

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The list of things you should not leave in a cold/frozen car varies from 5 to 20 items.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm going to have my wife drive me to work tomorrow, so I don't have leave my car outside all day while at work.

I'm so glad have an ample two car garage for our cars.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
When you think of Cold Weather, it is always good to remember

the continental soldiers at Morristown and Valley Forge

the Marines at Chosin Reservoir

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The districts here are starting to announce closures for tomorrow because of the weather. No word on our district yet but the one next door has already announced they will be closed through Thursday.

kms

Cyburbian
The temps are going to dive tomorrow, including wind chill. I just arrived at a conference location north of home, and will walk between my room and meeting rooms for two days. My room has a nice balcony that won’t get any use.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's happened exactly twice during the last 19 years

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Local schools closed wednesday
schools in the surrounding counties are also closed.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Wow, they just announced we'll be closed tomorrow.:oops:
City Hall is always open.
It's happened exactly twice during the last 19 years
We've never closed as long as I've been here (12 years now).

I just asked a coworker who has been here nearly 35 years and she remembers only one time when the county offices closed and that was because a generator went out in the old building and they lost heat and electricity in a blizzard but it was just the people in that building that didn't have to report. Our offices even remained open during that massive blackout in 2003 even though the roads were reportedly a disaster since traffic lights were out all over the place.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Everyone (six months from now in the Midwest at least);

105F and 90% humidity? I just can't. Hydrate and be safe out there everyone. Though, I'm not leaving the house today.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Today's weather forecast.

View attachment 5918
I'm going with an old military issue N3-B snorkel parka. It was only $50 when I bought it at Saigon Sam's surplus store outside of Camp Lejeune. It was designed for training in sub-Arctic conditions and wasn't much use in North Carolina but I've gotten plenty of wear out of it here in Detroit over the years.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The forecast high today is about 250. Then it's supposed to drop to about 246 by tomorrow morning. By Sunday it will be 281.

In Kelvin that is.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's cold enough that the heated and salted sidewalks in front of our building have about 2" of ice on them thanks to the snow from the drifts in front of the building constantly blowing across them.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
It's cold enough that the heated and salted sidewalks in front of our building have about 2" of ice on them thanks to the snow from the drifts in front of the building constantly blowing across them.
Is now one of those bad times to let you know it's sunny and 64 here?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Even when I change the car's display to metric, it still displays the temperature in Fahrenheit.

IMG_0355.JPG

And looking outside ...

IMG_0348.JPG

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The car thermometer said it was -12 on the drive in. I don't know what the wind chill is now, but yesterday I was shoveling the driveway when it was reportedly -47. A tad chilly.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We did indeed smash the all time low last night -33F. Driving into downtown with the steam rising everywhere, I thought to myself, "What do the Vladivostok City Planners do?"

AG74683

Cyburbian
We did indeed smash the all time low last night -33F. Driving into downtown with the steam rising everywhere, I thought to myself, "What do the Vladivostok City Planners do?"
Nothing. In Soviet Russia, city plans you!

And just so we are on topic, it was like 15 out last night I think. We dodged most of the serious cold and missed any weather.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's getting dangerously close to breaking 0 today. We're all the way up to -2!!!

Planit

Cyburbian
And I understand you guys in the bigly deep chill are going to be getting up to the 40s later this weekend. That like a 60+ degree change in a few days. Insanity!

We're sitting in the 40s now & looking at the 60s this weekend.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The wind chill was -47 Weds. By Monday, they project it will get up to 50! That's nearly 100 degrees difference. Currently, it's a balmy 3 out (but no wind yay).

DVD

Cyburbian
Phoenix weather currently in the high 50s expecting 70 degrees today. It might get colder next week with temps down to the 60s.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
One week ago it was 0F as a daytime high.

The temp now is 47F at 8:32a.

This too shall pass.

That is all.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Told to cancel P&Z and go home due to incoming ice storm. Unprecedented.

DVD

Cyburbian
We're having a cold snap. It'll be around 65 all week, but still have the sun.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got about a half an inch of ice overnight. It was coming down hard and loud enough that the sound of it hitting the roof and the driveway woke me up around 3:00 a.m. The main roads weren't too bad but many of the side streets are reportedly a disaster. It's supposed to warm up pretty quickly today to melt everything away but then there's another chance of freezing rain overnight again in to tomorrow and of course schools are closed today (my daughter is bummed because she only had a half day AND today is the "Global Day of School Play" so she was excited to be able to bring in some games and toys for a few hours of unstructured play with her friends).

Over the past couple of weeks we have lost:

• 1 day because of a broken water main
  • 1 day because of ice
  • 1 day because of snow
  • 2 consecutive days because of the extreme cold
  • 1 more day because of ice
I think we must be close to the point where they need to start adding days on to the schedule in June or canceling previously scheduled days off.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Told to cancel P&Z and go home due to incoming ice storm. Unprecedented.
Never experienced so much lightning and thunder with freezing rain and sleet before. Thankfully, we got enough sleet so things ween't a complete disaster today.

DVD

Cyburbian
We're still in the middle of our cold snap. It's about 35 now with a high of 58. I love seeing gloves and heavy coats. People in the elevator trying to "just stay warm". Granted next year I'll be one of them, but this year I'm just going to laugh.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Going to get up to 77 this afternoon in the ATL. Seventy-freaking-seven. Winter, y'all!

Top Bottom