• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm going to waste this beautiful by sitting inside at the Council workshop (when I should be on the golf course!)
I'm in the office today (for a meeting I actually scheduled for this afternoon, dang it) - otherwise I'd be working on the screened porch.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We'll hit 72F today here in the middle Ohio Valley before strong storms move through and bring more seasonal temperatures on us.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
It was 80 on Tuesday, 75 on Weds.

Today the high was 54 and that was before the storm/cold front blew in around 4am this morning. Right now it's 36 outside my office.

It's supposed to be cold for several days, with the weekend predicted to be at or just below average temps for the area by Sunday.

I'm cold. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Veloise

Cyburbian
We started something new. This is ten days apart.

Snowing now so I can add an update later today. (Next door brought a chainsaw and removed all the downed limbs late last night.)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
@Veloise - One of the morning weather people was saying that in a 72 hour period we went from colder than Anchorage to warmer than Phoenix. This morning we're back to "colder than Anchorage" and now we have 40mph winds to go along with the temps.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yesterday was a doozy. We had more rain than I can remember. My yard was an ocean. It was 61. Today it is 20 and windy.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have a ransom note for you.

Northerners. I have your sun. If you ever want to see it again you will make the earth rotate 113 times. You will make sure there is no slow down of the rotation around 5 pm local time or the sun will not be returned to you.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At this time last year, we had already had 3.5" of rain. It went on to become the wettest year ever recorded in the 'Ville. As of last evening, we had recorded some 6.5" of rain so far in 2019. (We're probably actually over 7" now, what with the overnight rainfall.)

Of course, it could not rain a drop the rest of the year knowing the weather around here. Or we could smash last year's record by a mile.

Life in the lower Ohio River Valley:thinking:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A sheet of m-f'ing ice coats the world. I slid from home to work. I will slide my way back at 5:00

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
In the past week, we've had sub-freezing temps, temps in the 50s, snow, wind, sleet, ice, rain.... today we get a little bit of all of that. I think the weather outside could best be described as "crap".

Schools are of course closed once again. I think I might take the afternoon off of work to take my oldest out to lunch and to the Lego Movie.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Well I got into work today. We had 7" of snow overnight. Temps will be falling to single digits today with 35 MPH winds from the NW.

Ahhhh Iowa.....

kms

Cyburbian
We’re working outside in the rain. It’s the best time to see how the E&S controls are working. And the worst inspections for contractors and developers.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A couple more inches of snow early this morning right around the morning commute. Roads were a mess. Thankfully, schools were open for the most part.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Nice and sunny in the ATL today for the first time in a few days, albeit chilly this morning (relatively speaking). I'm liking it. :cool:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Getting whacked by lake effect snow, and just cleared 10" of snow off the city car.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Thunderstorms yesterday (although we apparently dodged the really nasty stuff), mid-30s this morning, heading all the way up to the mid-40s this afternoon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got a couple inches of fluffy snow last night. It was 9 on the drive in this morning. Tonight they're calling for 2-5" more snow.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
In the 20's here overnight, with a high forecast of 36 today. We will stay below average/normal for the week until Friday afternoon. I am not happy.

Today would have been a good day to work from home, but I have a couple things to do in the office.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had a couple very brief periods of heavy snow this past weekend. Like almost white-out conditions but lasting only 15 minutes. The inch or so of accumulation only lasted on the ground a few hours.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
19 years ago today, in Fort Worth, an F3 tornado went through downtown.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got up to 61 yesterday! Normally the end of March calls for highs around 50. It's supposed to rain for the next couple days.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
19 years ago today, in Fort Worth

Was that a tornado?

Got up to 61 yesterday! Normally the end of March calls for highs around 50. It's supposed to rain for the next couple days.
I went to pick my daughter up from an after school thing yesterday after work and the big digital clock/thermometer outside her school said 68º and the thermometer in my Jeep said 70º on our way home. In the morning the forecast was calling for a rainy day with highs only in the mid 40s. It feels like yesterday's forecast got pushed to today's weather.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
By the way, here's the "after" of the three buildings shown in the Fort Worth tornado post above:
Cash America building

Mallick Tower

Bank One Tower (now simply known as The Tower and redeveloped as residential with ground floor retail/food)

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yesterday it was cold and snowing. Today it is 70 degrees. Welcome to North Carolina in the spring.

Planit

Cyburbian
There's always a window in NC where you'll need the heat on in the morning & the AC on in the evening.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We went through a nasty bout of weather yesterday. Fortunately, no additional damage to the house.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The forecasters were calling for 4 to 6 inches of snow in my neck of the woods Saturday night and into Sunday morning. Instead, it stayed just warm enough overnight that we only had some rain. I was sort of disappointed because I was looking forward to taking my kids to the sledding hill one last time yesterday morning.

Oh well. The temps got up into the 50s and I spent all afternoon outside doing yard work and playing with them. Today is dreary and in the low 40s so I'm wearing a tweed suit for what is probably the final time until next fall.

Planit

Cyburbian
Still being pollenated here!!! The back of my throat is raw after being outside for the last 3 days (which included mowing the grass).

Today is the nice day, 75. The rest of the week is supposed to be 85-87 for the highs.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It's Kentucky Derby week here: no local weatherman can be trusted to give anything but the Chamber of Commerce forecast for Friday and Saturday. We must therefore be subversive and engage sites like The Weather Underground, if it is truth we seek.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Just got the all hands on deck call for flood duty. I'll be walking the dikes and managing pumps maybe all night. Its bad.