• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Tornado season here. We had a couple hits in the region yesterday, just EF1s, so no big deal, just some downed trees. There are more in the area today, north of us. No immediate danger for me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've got family in Davenport and they say the flooding is as bad as they've ever seen it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm sure that spring will eventually arrive in Metro Detroit. :thinking:
I'm still hopeful we'll have some spring but I'm not holding my breath. Looking at the 10 day forecast, we might finally consistently get up into the mid 60s by the end of the weekend. In other news, the cool, very wet weather has done wonders for my lawn and gardens. Everything is looking particularly lush!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tornado season here. We had a couple hits in the region yesterday, just EF1s, so no big deal, just some downed trees. There are more in the area today, north of us. No immediate danger for me.

We had an EF 2 roll right through our downtown yesterday and I am very proud of the way everyone handled it. More so, no one was hurt and we are about 80% back up and running this morning. It did however several areas that we need to improve upon before Hurricane Season.

zman

Cyburbian
Family back in Colorado said it is rainy and dumping snow int he mountains. Here in the desert NW, sunny and 75... with rain on the way tomorrow.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had a nice spring this past weekend. We've been back to fall for the past few days though with highs in the 50s yesterday and today. I think there was frost on the pumpkins this morning.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We had a nice spring this past weekend. We've been back to fall for the past few days though with highs in the 50s yesterday and today. I think there was frost on the pumpkins this morning.
Frost? Geez. There's a 50-50 chance we break 90 for a couple of hours this afternoon.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Frost? Geez. There's a 50-50 chance we break 90 for a couple of hours this afternoon.
It's been pretty pleasant here so far this spring but really sort of cool. I saw in the newspaper this this is the longest into the season we've gone without yet hitting 80º but we might flirt with it on Thursday. That said, by Sunday and Monday we'll be back to morning lows in the upper 40s and low 50s.

I usually run in a 10k on Memorial Day and then we go to the local candy grab parade. The past few years we've left the parade early because it's just been too unbearably hot and we all start to get burnt and cranky. I don't think we'll have to worry about that this year.

Out of curiosity, I regularly check the weather in my old stomping grounds of Jacksonville, NC and they've been having temps consistently in the upper 80s and lower 90s over the past couple of weeks. That seems pretty hot this early for them but it does sort of make me miss it. My wife doesn't care for it, but I love the heat and humidity.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Out of curiosity, I regularly check the weather in my old stomping grounds of Jacksonville, NC and they've been having temps consistently in the upper 80s and lower 90s over the past couple of weeks. That seems pretty hot this early for them but it does sort of make me miss it. My wife doesn't care for it, but I love the heat and humidity.
We're going to be down in Savannah next Wednesday - Saturday - highs on Wednesday and Thursday are predicted to be 98...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We've hit 90F already twice this year. Earlier than normal for these parts. The 10-day forecast is calling for as many as the last seven forecast days to be near or above 90F, which would constitute an extremely unusual heat wave.

Personally, I think this area is due for a very hot, very dry summer. I also thought it would snow like crazy last winter and that didn't happen, so what the heck do I know.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One benefit of this cool spring: We have yet to turn on the AC at all and it's pretty darn comfortable sleeping weather at night. Usually by now we've been using the AC for the past week or so, at least during the hottest part of the afternoon.

And according to Nest, we've only run the furnace for 2 hours total in the last 2 weeks and for 10 hours for all of May so far.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
One benefit of this cool spring: We have yet to turn on the AC at all and it's pretty darn comfortable sleeping weather at night. Usually by now we've been using the AC for the past week or so, at least during the hottest part of the afternoon.

And according to Nest, we've only run the furnace for 2 hours total in the last 2 weeks and for 10 hours for all of May so far.
Yeah, we haven't even come close to wanting to use the AC yet and it's already Memorial Day weekend. We did, however, leave the heat on a bit longer than usual.

Planit

Cyburbian
Weather over the weekend was HOT - this will remain the case for at least the next week.

Too early for this Bermuda High to park on top of the southeast!

DVD

Cyburbian
Oddly cooler than usual. We haven't really hit the hot part much less the damn hot part of the year.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We'd welcome some warmer weather and sunshine. Maybe you can send a bit of your heat north to the Great Lakes?
No.

As it would have to come through my way and I think the current temps around the our part of the Great Lakes region is just fine....thankyouverymuch.!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tornado warnings are meant to save lives. Why do some people roll their eyes?
How do/would you react when your local weatherman interrupts a show with a Tornado Warning ?
Depending on the location's proximity to mine, I take tornado warnings deadly serious. I think what happened was years ago tornado prediction tools were not very sophisticated or accurate and so we ended up with a large number of tornado watches that amounted to nothing. Over time I would guess the public habituated to the idea that watches were background noise largely to be ignored and this has carried over to warnings as well.

Planit

Cyburbian
Over 7.5" of rain this weekend. A few roads were washed over and school is on a 2-hour delay this morning.

The mountains had it worse with over 13" of rain, flash floods, & road closures.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Over 7.5" of rain this weekend. A few roads were washed over and school is on a 2-hour delay this morning.

The mountains had it worse with over 13" of rain, flash floods, & road closures.
Wow. We probably got a little less that 2" locally over the entirety of the weekend. Temperature-wise it's looking nice and mild for this week, with the lows dipping back into the mid-50s Wednesday night.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was in St. Louis all last week and there was plenty of flooding along the Mississippi downtown. Many of the little roads right along the river were flooded out. Here's the view of one of the railway lines and a couple of roads from last Sunday:

I don't think they still have their 12' of clearance.

It rained quite a lot more on Wednesday and Thursday and it was supposed to rain through the weekend and they were expecting the water to just keep rising.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's still cool and rainy here in Metro Detroit (only about 65º today) and my lawn is definitely thick and lush and green this spring.

We still have yet to use our AC this year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's still cool and rainy here in Metro Detroit (only about 65º today) and my lawn is definitely thick and lush and green this spring.

We still have yet to use our AC this year.
same here on the west side

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
But it's a DRY heat that makes it feel comfortable.
:thinking: o_O
Reminds me of the times at 29 Palms when it was 120 out and when someone noted this fact there was always a joker nearby to add "yeah, but at least it's dry heat" like that's supposed to make it all better.

DVD

Cyburbian
But it's a DRY heat that makes it feel comfortable.
:thinking: o_O
I always love the dry heat comment. Especially watching out of staters do things like:
  • Walk out of the airport in air so hot and dry they can't breathe for a second.
  • Touch a steering wheel that sat in the dry heat for a few hours or literally burn their hands on the seat belt buckle.
  • Complain about the heat without adding, but it's a dry heat.

Planit

Cyburbian
I always love the dry heat comment. Especially watching out of staters do things like:
  • Walk out of the airport in air so hot and dry they can't breathe for a second.
  • Touch a steering wheel that sat in the dry heat for a few hours or literally burn their hands on the seat belt buckle.
  • Complain about the heat without adding, but it's a dry heat.

I'm used to the hot weather growing up in FLA & then add the humidity. I can remember getting burned by the medal emblem in the backrest of the car, placing a towel over the steering wheel & immediately sweating when walking out the door.

The DRY heat comment is one of those stereotypical things that's going to be said.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday's high was about 65º. I was tempted on both Saturday and Sunday morning to turn the heat on. I resisted but Sunday evening at dinner I did light the fireplace to help take the dampness and coolness out of the air.

Planit

Cyburbian
Friday, the local high school held their graduation on the football field. We knew several kids graduating and The Girl played in the band so we decided to go too. There was a nice breeze which was the saving grace of the warmth.

This wknd we were in the 89 degree range with little-to-no breeze. However in the evening it was very pleasant to sit on the deck. Today looks like a repeat.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Our US highway that runs nearly all 9 miles alongside the river will be completely open again for the first time in three months. There will be a ribbon cutting at 1 pm - undoubtedly in pouring rain.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am so sick of the rain. This weekend it is supposed to be sunny but I doubt it will crack 80F.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Oh, crap. 50% chance of a tropical storm developing late this week. It's over Tennessee. Just what we need. ZG and I will be going to Publix tomorrow morning to get bottled water and canned goods and fill the cars up with gas just in case.