• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Tornado season here. We had a couple hits in the region yesterday, just EF1s, so no big deal, just some downed trees. There are more in the area today, north of us. No immediate danger for me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I've got family in Davenport and they say the flooding is as bad as they've ever seen it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm sure that spring will eventually arrive in Metro Detroit. :thinking:
I'm still hopeful we'll have some spring but I'm not holding my breath. Looking at the 10 day forecast, we might finally consistently get up into the mid 60s by the end of the weekend. In other news, the cool, very wet weather has done wonders for my lawn and gardens. Everything is looking particularly lush!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tornado season here. We had a couple hits in the region yesterday, just EF1s, so no big deal, just some downed trees. There are more in the area today, north of us. No immediate danger for me.

We had an EF 2 roll right through our downtown yesterday and I am very proud of the way everyone handled it. More so, no one was hurt and we are about 80% back up and running this morning. It did however several areas that we need to improve upon before Hurricane Season.

zman

Cyburbian
Family back in Colorado said it is rainy and dumping snow int he mountains. Here in the desert NW, sunny and 75... with rain on the way tomorrow.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had a nice spring this past weekend. We've been back to fall for the past few days though with highs in the 50s yesterday and today. I think there was frost on the pumpkins this morning.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We had a nice spring this past weekend. We've been back to fall for the past few days though with highs in the 50s yesterday and today. I think there was frost on the pumpkins this morning.
Frost? Geez. There's a 50-50 chance we break 90 for a couple of hours this afternoon.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Frost? Geez. There's a 50-50 chance we break 90 for a couple of hours this afternoon.
It's been pretty pleasant here so far this spring but really sort of cool. I saw in the newspaper this this is the longest into the season we've gone without yet hitting 80º but we might flirt with it on Thursday. That said, by Sunday and Monday we'll be back to morning lows in the upper 40s and low 50s.

I usually run in a 10k on Memorial Day and then we go to the local candy grab parade. The past few years we've left the parade early because it's just been too unbearably hot and we all start to get burnt and cranky. I don't think we'll have to worry about that this year.

Out of curiosity, I regularly check the weather in my old stomping grounds of Jacksonville, NC and they've been having temps consistently in the upper 80s and lower 90s over the past couple of weeks. That seems pretty hot this early for them but it does sort of make me miss it. My wife doesn't care for it, but I love the heat and humidity.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Out of curiosity, I regularly check the weather in my old stomping grounds of Jacksonville, NC and they've been having temps consistently in the upper 80s and lower 90s over the past couple of weeks. That seems pretty hot this early for them but it does sort of make me miss it. My wife doesn't care for it, but I love the heat and humidity.
We're going to be down in Savannah next Wednesday - Saturday - highs on Wednesday and Thursday are predicted to be 98...

Gedunker

Moderating
We've hit 90F already twice this year. Earlier than normal for these parts. The 10-day forecast is calling for as many as the last seven forecast days to be near or above 90F, which would constitute an extremely unusual heat wave.

Personally, I think this area is due for a very hot, very dry summer. I also thought it would snow like crazy last winter and that didn't happen, so what the heck do I know.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One benefit of this cool spring: We have yet to turn on the AC at all and it's pretty darn comfortable sleeping weather at night. Usually by now we've been using the AC for the past week or so, at least during the hottest part of the afternoon.

And according to Nest, we've only run the furnace for 2 hours total in the last 2 weeks and for 10 hours for all of May so far.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
One benefit of this cool spring: We have yet to turn on the AC at all and it's pretty darn comfortable sleeping weather at night. Usually by now we've been using the AC for the past week or so, at least during the hottest part of the afternoon.

And according to Nest, we've only run the furnace for 2 hours total in the last 2 weeks and for 10 hours for all of May so far.
Yeah, we haven't even come close to wanting to use the AC yet and it's already Memorial Day weekend. We did, however, leave the heat on a bit longer than usual.