• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
Feels like about 125% humidity out there today - I really hope we get some rain out of this.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
All the best to you folks in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. Stay safe.

Richmond Jake

On one of the hottest days of the year, our air conditioner decided to crap out last night. Repairs are expected tomorrow. The ceiling and floor fans are making things tolerable. Currently 86°F in the house. :mad:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
On one of the hottest days of the year, our air conditioner decided to crap out last night. Repairs are expected tomorrow. The ceiling and floor fans are making things tolerable. Currently 86°F in the house. :mad:
That $uck$.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've always hated heat index numbers. It might be only 100 degrees in Florida, but that humidity is gonna make you sweat. They should measure heat index by the amount you'll sweat or how fast the average fat guy like me will start sweating. At the same time "feels like" 115 degrees does not actually feel like 115 degrees. We're talking walk outside and it feels like your skin is cooking. That doesn't happen with "feels like" temps.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Well summer is here in North Texas. Up until a few days ago we were getting heavy rain every 3rd or 4th day. But no rain for about a week and none in the forecast, not even a little bitty chance.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Holy crap! It's 92 out! It's so hot you actually need to turn the air conditioning on to be comfortable, if you can imagine that! This is incredible. This is awful. This is unbelievable. It's so mind boggling hot. I think I'm going to melt.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Holy crap! It's 92 out! It's so hot you actually need to turn the air conditioning on to be comfortable, if you can imagine that! This is incredible. This is awful. This is unbelievable. It's so mind boggling hot. I think I'm going to melt.
How about a Dew Point of 85F. I thought 75F was bad enough, but I don't think I've ever seen dew points that high. That makes a 90F temp feel like 115F

MI - Monroe 2019-07-19 1254.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How about a Dew Point of 85F. I thought 75F was bad enough, but I don't think I've ever seen dew points that high. That makes a 90F temp feel like 115F

View attachment 24741
That was actually a set-up line for folks who live somewhere like Arizona or southern Texas to comment "92? yawn that's what the temp is here at 8:00 a.m. most days...."

Richmond Jake

Big, long thunderstorm storm last night. It kept us awake. I had to take a nap this afternoon. :tired:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My AC guy took his family on vacation to Detroit. Their vacation rental, in the Mexicantown neighborhood, does not have air conditioning. Detroit's heat index was 104 on Saturday. Oh the irony.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

View attachment 24741
Yeah, it was pretty unbearable much of last week through Saturday. Sunday morning was a bit cooler but the dew point was still up around 80º. Thankfully, some rain came through in the afternoon and evening and that seems to have made things much more pleasant - unlike the storms that came through on Friday afternoon that only succeeded in making the heat and humidity worse!

My AC guy took his family on vacation to Detroit. Their vacation rental, in the Mexicantown neighborhood, does not have air conditioning. Detroit's heat index was 104 on Saturday. Oh the irony.
That sounds like the opening to a funny anecdote.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was brutal this weekend. There was a brown out at our beach house which meant the central AC wouldn't work.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Low 70s this morning at sunrise, probably not going to get out of the upper 70s this afternoon.

I'll take it. :cool:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's cooled down a bit since the 90's we saw a few days ago

Planit

Cyburbian
Europe is now in the heat wave we had last week. It's projected to be 109 degrees in Paris today & 99 in London.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
70's and sunny here, lookig like clear and low 60's overnight where we will be camping this weekend. Going to bring the telescope and a sweatshirt and do some stargazing.

DVD

Cyburbian
If you're not baking cookies in the car hot or cooking a steak in the mail truck hot then we can't talk.

DVD

Cyburbian
All I can tell you is that the dry heat is a different feeling. I'm not saying worse, just different. Like your skin is burning vs melting.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's still been hot this week but the humidity has subsided somewhat so it's been a little more pleasant.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Low of 49 expected for tonight and Thursday night with lows in the low to mid 50's towards the weekend.

DVD

Cyburbian
The Arizona seasons. Much less complicated than Georgia.

1568827224117.png

There is also the Hot and Not so hot version.

Bubba

Cyburbian
False Fall started yesterday; looks like Second Summer will kick in next week. I'll enjoy the rest of this week.
Yep - 65 degrees at 9 AM in the ATL. I'm currently sorting through choices for which restaurant deck/patio I want to patronize for dinner tonight. :beer:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
False Fall started yesterday; looks like Second Summer will kick in next week. I'll enjoy the rest of this week.
We are kinda in the same boat. It's only in the upper '80s, with lows in the 60's. However, we are back into 90's starting Monday through the end of the month.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's supposed to get up to the mid 80's today and tomorrow. That's quite warm for the last day of September/first day of October. This event probably represents the last gasp of summer.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's supposed to get up to the mid 80's today and tomorrow. That's quite warm for the last day of September/first day of October. This event probably represents the last gasp of summer.
Yet it was cold enough yesterday and this morning that when I happened to get up to use the bathroom around 3:00 a.m. today, I walked past the thermostat and it said it was 61º in the house. If it had fallen one more degree overnight the heat would have kicked on!