• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

AG74683

Cyburbian
It's supposed to be around 100 degrees here today. In October. Yesterday was the hottest day ever measured in Charlotte for this time of year.

Bubba

Cyburbian
It's supposed to be around 100 degrees here today. In October. Yesterday was the hottest day ever measured in Charlotte for this time of year.
Ditto for the ATL - yesterday was the hottest October day ever recorded here...and we might be a degree warmer today. Upper 70s/low 80s starting this weekend, though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was hot here Monday and Tuesday but it's been drizzly and overcast since Tuesday afternoon. This is too early in the season to go this long without a sunny day.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Wednesday's high was 95
Tuesday's high was 94
Monday's high was 95
We had 97, 97, and 99, all records. Hottest and driest September in any year going back to 1870s. Just frikkin miserable.
Thanks heavens today is the last of it.

Reactions: JNA

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
It is 50f and raining. Still haven't put the heat on yet but starting to think about it. Inside our house it is 64f. Good thing for kitties who like to snuggle.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Is that snow? It's it kinda early if it is. I haven't lived in snow county for so long I've forgotten. It's 75 here.
Frost. I has to open up the garage, grab the scraper, and clear off the front window. The defroster took car of the back window. Too early, man.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Average 1st frost date here is right around this past weekend. We barely got a patchy frost last week. Chilly enough at the cider mill yesterday that I wore a windbreaker.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Average 1st frost date here is right around this past weekend. We barely got a patchy frost last week. Chilly enough at the cider mill yesterday that I wore a windbreaker.
No frost yet on this side of the state but we did have a frost advisory last night (maybe some of the more exurban areas got some?). I emptied my potted plants a couple of weeks ago to switch out the geraniums for some mums and other fall decorations but the geraniums weren't looking too bad so I decided to try and replant them in the backyard among all the ivy and blackberry bushes. That seemed to have sprung them back to life and they are back in full bloom again. If they are still blooming at the end of the week, I might try and cover them up for the next frost advisory and see how long I can keep them going.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Dallas Tornado 10/20/2019

A radar scan of the storm showed a clear and ominous “debris ball” signature where the powerful funnel had tossed the remnants of homes and businesses aloft. At this point, debris reached more than two miles high.

At 9:07 p.m., debris reached a height of at least three miles near Preston Hollow, with indications of debris potentially higher than 20,000 feet. That suggests an extremely powerful, and likely violent, tornado. Oftentimes, the height to which debris is carried is proportional to a twister’s strength.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frost. I has to open up the garage, grab the scraper, and clear off the front window. The defroster took car of the back window. Too early, man.
Not quite yet here. Overnights have been in the 40s and low 50s so far. It's only a matter of time though.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
It used to be that everything in the Dallas area was simply "The Great Over There" to me. If it wasn't in Tarrant County (where Fort Worth is) I'd simply ignore it. Let Dallas County have their fun. But now my son and daughter-in-law live in Plano, a suburb north of Dallas, and I pay attention to the path of the storms Over There. My son reported that their tornado sirens were sounded but the tornado was not really that close to their house.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Dallas Tornado track. This is about 1/3 of it. "LOVE" is Dallas Love Field Airport.

And at night.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A chance of snow next week on Halloween night. Ah, just like childhood.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's a bit chilly today. I put on a long sleeve shirt. The cold spell is supposed to break in a day or two so I can go back to Hawaiian shirts.

kms

Cyburbian
Police department text messages, letters from school to parents and other media. Believe me, the news traveled.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We had very few trick-or-treaters last year (our first year in this house). Considering the weather tomorrow- high around 50 then going down into the low 30s, I expect there will be even fewer kids out this year.... considering shutting off my light and laying low for the first time in... well, maybe ever.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Early October was over 100 degrees end of October has lows in the 30s.

If we just have rain we are still going trick or treating, however we are in a level 2 risk for severe storms so we will play it by ear.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, this might be interesting tonight. The forecast now has us in a category 3 (out of 5) risk for severe weather tonight and the prediction is the worst of the storms will roll in around 8PM tonight give or take 30 minutes. Mostly a high wind risk but a moderate risk for a tornado too.

I think we will be back from Trick or Treating by 7PM just to be safe.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Rain and mid-50s this morning, then the bottom drops out with upper 20s tonight. New furnace will get its first true test.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Halloween is here and it's cold and rainy; just how I remember it when I was a kid. Junior was talking about going out tonight with one of his buddies to 'scare kids', so I was a bit relieved when he announced he would prefer to go trick-or-treating with his new 'girlfriend' instead.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Rain and mid-50s this morning, then the bottom drops out with upper 20s tonight. New furnace will get its first true test.
Low 70s this morning - the heavy rain should start around 11 am and keep going until late this afternoon. The cold front moving in behind the rain will drop the overnight temperature to around freezing, so I'll get an idea of how effective the new attic insulation is...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been raining here pretty hard since early Tuesday evening... right around the time I got the fire pit going for some s'mores for my daughter and myself. It's supposed to keep raining all day today until it switches over to snow around 6:00 or 7:00 p.m.

I'm leaving the office shortly to go watch my daughter's Halloween parade. Hopefully the rain lightens up enough that they can still do the parade outside around the neighborhood instead of inside through the halls.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Our rain finally ended, but it's pretty cold (for Texas)- mid 30s that feels even colder with a 20 mph north wind. With the sun out though it should warm up. But we made the call last night: We're not giving out candy this year.

TOFB

Cyburbian
5 inches of gods dandruff last night which will turn to slush this afternoon and freeze solid after dark as temps drop to the low 20's. That'll scare the little ghouls away.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
5 inches of gods dandruff last night which will turn to slush this afternoon and freeze solid after dark as temps drop to the low 20's. That'll scare the little ghouls away.
Think of it as a 'character building' year for the tykes.

Edit: forecast changed and they're now calling for snow in about three hours.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Yesterday at lunch it was 79 degrees.
Today right now it's 45.

Big change from October to November.