• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
“Jesus is coming” clouds this afternoon. Downtown is usually pretty busy, but today it’s eerily quiet.

0447D541-28B9-4802-985E-76ADB441B128.jpeg

DVD

Cyburbian
I woke up and there was loud noises coming from the sky and flashes of light. Then water just started falling. I've never seen something so amazing in at least a year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
23 degrees out this a.m. Don't know what the wind chill is. I wore a windbreaker today, but if it gets much colder will consider breaking out the winter coat.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
23 degrees out this a.m. Don't know what the wind chill is. I wore a windbreaker today, but if it gets much colder will consider breaking out the winter coat.
The windchill on this side said 15º when I left the house to go to the gym at 5:30 this morning.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
First weekday accumulated snow of the year this morning. Even up north, there is a short learning curve for drivers to recall how to drive on slippery roads that first icy day of the season.

Planit

Cyburbian
tomorrow's high is supposed to hit in the early (dark) morning, then falling as the day progresses

kms

Cyburbian
The temperature here is going to start falling around midnight, along with some snow.

I've been outside and barefooted today. I'll be wearing socks and boots tomorrow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We ended with maybe 4-5" of heavy wet snow. It'll be sticking around until Friday apparently.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
First weekday accumulated snow of the year this morning. Even up north, there is a short learning curve for drivers to recall how to drive on slippery roads that first icy day of the season.
What did you guys end up with over there?

Sunday evening, the forecast for Monday was calling for 3" to 5" starting early in the morning. I didn't believe we'd get more than a dusting. By the time I went to bed the advisory was updated to about 6.5" on the upper end with 20" possible in parts of Sanilac and St. Clair counties to the northeast of us. By 9:00 a.m. on Monday morning we probably already had 3" and it just started coming down even heavier. We ended with about 9" at our house. I was really surprised that we got that much.

Nearly all the schools in Metro Detroit are closed today. The main roads and those in our neighborhood were fine but I went for a run this morning and the residential roads in our downtown and around my daughter's school hadn't been touched by a plow yet.

Yesterday also marked the first time in about 8 or 9 years that I didn't get up on the rough on Veterans Day to put up the Christmas lights. It was just way too slick to attempt that. I did get the garage cleaned up quite a bit though. It's supposed to be in the mid 40s next week so I might take a day off to get those lights up.