• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
“Jesus is coming” clouds this afternoon. Downtown is usually pretty busy, but today it’s eerily quiet.

0447D541-28B9-4802-985E-76ADB441B128.jpeg

DVD

Cyburbian
I woke up and there was loud noises coming from the sky and flashes of light. Then water just started falling. I've never seen something so amazing in at least a year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
23 degrees out this a.m. Don't know what the wind chill is. I wore a windbreaker today, but if it gets much colder will consider breaking out the winter coat.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
23 degrees out this a.m. Don't know what the wind chill is. I wore a windbreaker today, but if it gets much colder will consider breaking out the winter coat.
The windchill on this side said 15º when I left the house to go to the gym at 5:30 this morning.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
First weekday accumulated snow of the year this morning. Even up north, there is a short learning curve for drivers to recall how to drive on slippery roads that first icy day of the season.

Planit

Cyburbian
tomorrow's high is supposed to hit in the early (dark) morning, then falling as the day progresses

kms

Cyburbian
The temperature here is going to start falling around midnight, along with some snow.

I've been outside and barefooted today. I'll be wearing socks and boots tomorrow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We ended with maybe 4-5" of heavy wet snow. It'll be sticking around until Friday apparently.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
First weekday accumulated snow of the year this morning. Even up north, there is a short learning curve for drivers to recall how to drive on slippery roads that first icy day of the season.
What did you guys end up with over there?

Sunday evening, the forecast for Monday was calling for 3" to 5" starting early in the morning. I didn't believe we'd get more than a dusting. By the time I went to bed the advisory was updated to about 6.5" on the upper end with 20" possible in parts of Sanilac and St. Clair counties to the northeast of us. By 9:00 a.m. on Monday morning we probably already had 3" and it just started coming down even heavier. We ended with about 9" at our house. I was really surprised that we got that much.

Nearly all the schools in Metro Detroit are closed today. The main roads and those in our neighborhood were fine but I went for a run this morning and the residential roads in our downtown and around my daughter's school hadn't been touched by a plow yet.

Yesterday also marked the first time in about 8 or 9 years that I didn't get up on the rough on Veterans Day to put up the Christmas lights. It was just way too slick to attempt that. I did get the garage cleaned up quite a bit though. It's supposed to be in the mid 40s next week so I might take a day off to get those lights up.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Winds around 30 mph at the moment. Other parts of the country are experiencing winds up to 50 mph

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Everytime I turn around to look out the window, it has changed. The temps are steady around 50º but one moment it's calm and sunny, the next it's thundering with a driving rain, then it's followed 5 minutes later by overcast skies and gusts that look like their going to knock over the trees. Currently it's sunny again but the wind is blowing hard and steady.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Monday when I was off of work I was working in the yard in 50º weather with just my shirt sleeves. This morning it's about 15º with a bitter, cold wind. There have been some flurries since last night but nothing heavy enough to actually accumulate... except for those cars in the office parking lot that somehow have 4" of snow on their hoods or roofs. Are they driving in from Manitoba?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got maybe 6" total over the last couple days. It's still snowing lightly.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was sunny and mid 70’s yesterday. Then it started raining around 7:00 pm. This morning it was raining hard and only a few degrees above freezing. Right now it is sunny and 41.

I am not sure if mother nature is losing her mind or what the deal is...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It was sunny and mid 70’s yesterday. Then it started raining around 7:00 pm. This morning it was raining hard and only a few degrees above freezing. Right now it is sunny and 41.

I am not sure if mother nature is losing her mind or what the deal is...
Welcome to the South. Mother Nature's mood swings here can be pretty intense.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It snowed a bit this morning but it stopped. Now it's just cold.

kms

Cyburbian
It’s 28 and windy here. I just had my first bitter cold field day of the season.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Full Cold Moon this morning was beautiful. My bedroom was unusually bright however, which may explain why I woke up 20 minutes before the alarm.

Reactions: kms

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We were supposed to get 2"+ of snow yesterday but the weather system shifted much further south so we got nothing. I'm sort of bummed because I was looking forward to some snow on the ground for Christmas but it looks like once again we'll have no white Christmas here.

On the bright side, other than one early snow storm back on Veterans' Day it's been pretty dry so the yard and the streets at least don't look like muddy brown mess they often do this time of year if there's no snow on the ground.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We were supposed to get 2"+ of snow yesterday but the weather system shifted much further south so we got nothing. I'm sort of bummed because I was looking forward to some snow on the ground for Christmas but it looks like once again we'll have no white Christmas here.
Green Christmases used to be a freak occurrence and I remember experiencing exactly ONE when I was a kid (I recall I was concerned Santa wouldn't be able to use his sleigh if there was no snow!). Now it seems like they're almost the rule.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Low 60s in the ATL at sunrise today - will be in the upper 20s at sunrise tomorrow.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
30s and very light snow here in NEOH. It's quite pleasant, actually.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Sunday it was 70 here. I flew home that evening, gaining speed with the tailwind. Unfortunately, that same tailwind brought a 30-degree temp drop with it. Monday's high was 40, today it's the upper 40's.

I also brought back a cold.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Green Christmases used to be a freak occurrence and I remember experiencing exactly ONE when I was a kid (I recall I was concerned Santa wouldn't be able to use his sleigh if there was no snow!). Now it seems like they're almost the rule.
We got 4 inches of snow last night as direct result of me posting this.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's a chilly 59 with a low of 42 tonight. I'm just not sure how I'm going to survive? I might have to put on a light jacket.