• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Here it is January 7th and I have yet to break out the winter coat this season. This morning it was 27 degrees and there is virtually no snow on the ground. How strange.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^I switched out clothes over the weekend and took most of the short-sleeved shirts out of the closet. It's going to be 68 degrees this weekend.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Sunny and about 40F today in NEOH today. Not bad for early January.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I just heard they're calling for massive amounts of rain (would equal 10 feet if it were snow) which will freeze later on. The power companies have lots of emergency crews on standby as we speak.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just heard they're calling for massive amounts of rain (would equal 10 feet if it were snow) which will freeze later on. The power companies have lots of emergency crews on standby as we speak.
I just came here to make a post about the "10' of snow" rain storm but saw you beat me to it by a few hours. It's currently 54º here on this side of the state but I really do hope the temps suddenly drop 20º overnight so that can all turn to snow!

Massive rain storm on the way to metro Detroit could have been 10 feet of snow

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The NWS Watches Warning Map - the eastern half of Oklahoma & NE Texas under Tornado Watch

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We had a tornado watch yesterday right after dinner. Advised to get in our safe place.

Then this morning we had snow. While an hour north of us had snow for hours and could make snowmen, we had a dusting. Already gone. Wind chills below freezing. What a lovely day to stay indoors.

• Wow
Reactions: kms

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We had a tornado watch yesterday right after dinner. Advised to get in our safe place.

Then this morning we had snow. While an hour north of us had snow for hours and could make snowmen, we had a dusting. Already gone. Wind chills below freezing. What a lovely day to stay indoors.
Yeah, we were in the original tornado warning area. Apparently there was a short-lived tornado that hit Joshua and produced hail in several locations. And after 70s yesterday there was snow in the area today. I didn't see any but my friend who lives in the neighborhood say he saw some, as did my son in Plano.

Planit

Cyburbian
Saturday evening / night: big line of storms come through with heavy rain and high winds
Sunday: high around 72, sat on the deck with friends

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The predicted ice storm was nowhere near as apocalyptic as feared. At no time did we lose power.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I see folks in southern California in wearing puffy jackets, scarves, and gloves when the temps dip down into the 60s.
Given my background and where I spent most of my life, I rarely get chilly. However, this morning was a bit chilly though it was in the 50's. Plus, it had that damp chilly feel to it.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Likely in the process of getting the biggest snow of the season so far. Biggest to date occurred on . . . Halloween

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It took until mid-January, but winter finally arrived. There's 9 inches of snow on the ground and it's 19 out. That's how January is supposed to be.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We only got about 5" in our neighborhood but it was very wet, very heavy, perfect packing snow and my youngest and I played in it for hours Saturday and Sunday. The snow on Saturday changed over to rain in the afternoon but it wasn't enough to really wash anything away, so that was nice. Monday morning the temps were in the single digits so we stayed inside and played games.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Yesterday, I noticed that the vehicles were covered in pollen. It made me sad because that means no more windows open until October or so again...

This morning, the wind chill was 24 degrees.

It's a strange winter, this one.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It was in the 20's this morning, chilly but great sleeping weather. I accidentally left one of the windows open last night. It was a bit brisk, but wasn't too bad. You got to love those Nordic genes.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My driveway doesn't have much of a slope to it but I managed to glide all the way from the garage down to the curb while taking the garbage out this morning. I wasn't expecting it to be icy and there were a few really slick spots on my drive to work. I'm surprised I didn't see a single car in the ditch or off the road (as opposed to yesterday when the roads were perfectly clear but there were somehow cars off the road everywhere). My kids schools were open but it looks like a lot of the districts to the north and west are closed today.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was in the 50s the past few days here in Metro Detroit. That's gone now and there is plenty of snow and winter temps in the forecast.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
34 and, if the radar is to be believed, snowing... but a quick peek outside shows only drizzle. The forecast says temps will hover just above freezing all day while the precipitation is active, then will dip below freezing tonight several hours after the rain/sleet/snow end.

Planit

Cyburbian
AG is getting very wet right now & mskis is about to - according to the radar.

Lowland

Cyburbian
Some light, but pleasant looking, snow right now. Won't accumulate much, hasn't been much of a normal winter in these parts.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We're getting the first batch of rain now. More of that and wind later. Lots of tornadoes spawning off. Could be an interesting night.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got a couple inches of very fluffy snow here each of the past couple of nights. Neither time has it been enough to justify my landscaping crew sending out their plow trucks but they came both nights... around 4:00 a.m... with the squeakiest plows in their fleet.

Planit

Cyburbian
Lots of rain yesterday with a few road wash overs. Most of the bad damage stayed south of us.

Big thunder, so I guess we'll have snow in 7 - 10 days (according to the oldwives telling their tale)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior was lamenting recently 'man, we aren't going to get a single snow day this year!' I felt compelled to point out that when I was a kid we only got snow days for extreme winter weather. Like if you got 20" of snow, and most years you got none or maybe one or two snow days at most. Hell, nowadays they close the schools - and I am not making this up - if it's too cold! They never once cancelled school for that reason my entire school career!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Junior was lamenting recently 'man, we aren't going to get a single snow day this year!' I felt compelled to point out that when I was a kid we only got snow days for extreme winter weather. Like if you got 20" of snow, and most years you got none or maybe one or two snow days at most. Hell, nowadays they close the schools - and I am not making this up - if it's too cold! They never once cancelled school for that reason my entire school career!
I can remember one time when I was in junior high or maybe 9th grade (so nearly 30 years ago now) when they cancelled school for us for a day or two because of the cold. I can distinctly remember it because earlier in the week it was cold enough that my mom let me wait in the house and try to look out the side window to see if I could watch for the school bus then when I saw it I could quickly sprint out the door, through the yard, and down the driveway to the bus stop instead of just standing outside at the end of the driveway and waiting for the bus in the cold for 10 minutes like I normally would.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can remember one time when I was in junior high or maybe 9th grade (so nearly 30 years ago now) when they cancelled school for us for a day or two because of the cold. I can distinctly remember it because earlier in the week it was cold enough that my mom let me wait in the house and try to look out the side window to see if I could watch for the school bus then when I saw it I could quickly sprint out the door, through the yard, and down the driveway to the bus stop instead of just standing outside at the end of the driveway and waiting for the bus in the cold for 10 minutes like I normally would.
Back when I was a lad, they used to search the school walking paths for frozen corpses at the end of the school day. Closing due to the cold indeed, harrumph!
But then again, I served in the Old Corps (which conveniently ended the day before you joined).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Back when I was a lad, they used to search the school walking paths for frozen corpses at the end of the school day. Closing due to the cold indeed, harrumph!
But then again, I served in the Old Corps (which conveniently ended the day before you joined).
It sounds like it prepared you well for your time at the Chosin.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It sounds like it prepared you well for your time at the Chosin.
We used to have an expression in the barracks "Back in 'Nam....." Someone would use this phrase when calling someone out - who clearly was too young to have ever served at that time - for making a statement blatantly intended to make oneself sound like more of a Badass than they were. For example, someone might be going on about how at their last command Top told everyone on duty section they had to field day continually for the next 24 hours and this person told Top to stick it, then someone might say "So Bill....back in Nam did you have to frag the butterbars when they got too full of themselves?"

TOFB

Cyburbian
I think in my school days we had about 7-8 snow days total . . . many years none. In 9th grade we had two days off in a row for a 17" inch blizzard - - unprecedented.

Last year the schools shut down and we were advised to stay home and take a vacation day for -33F/-54WC - - - probably a wise move.

Planit

Cyburbian
For about 2 hours or more on Saturday afternoon it was snowing, but not sticking.
In Sunday afternoon it was 58 and sunny, so I grilled dinner.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had a few inches of fresh snow early Saturday morning so I took my daughters over to the golf course across the street to go sledding. We haven't had many opportunities to get out there this season. I need to dig out my snowshoes and get back over there.