• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Well that's a smart sled dog then.
No, she's not that bright. Let me give you an example: she's laying around all day doing nothing, so I suggested why not do something useful and complete our taxes. I gave her all the receipts, w-2's and 1099's she would need. Well this dummy decides NOT to itemize with a 1040A and instead goes with a 1040EZ form. I took one look at it when she finished and realized she would have gypped us out or $750 in medical deductions! Not so bright.

Planit

Cyburbian
No, she's not that bright. Let me give you an example: she's laying around all day doing nothing, so I suggested why not do something useful and complete our taxes. I gave her all the receipts, w-2's and 1099's she would need. Well this dummy decides NOT to itemize with a 1040A and instead goes with a 1040EZ form. I took one look at it when she finished and realized she would have gypped us out or $750 in medical deductions! Not so bright.

Oh I get it now. She just wanted the EZ way out.
She probably ate the tax return too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Snow day today. I have absolutely no idea why. It snowed maybe two inches last night. The temps are in the 20's. I think the school district was feeling cheated that they'd gotten no snow days yet this winter and were concerned there'd be no more opportunities before spring.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's a balmy 11 degrees, but there's almost no wind, so it's a warm 11 here as well!

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
It's been raining the past two days here and going up the mid 60s today. We turned on the A/C yesterday as it was stifling in the house. I guess I'm truly a southerner now to be turning on the air in February.

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a heavy dusting here yesterday afternoon. The schools panicked and they were closed for the entire day & today is a 3 hour delay for possible black ice.

The thing was that the snow didn't start until 2:30 (schools release at 2:40). The temperature was hovering around 34 and the roads were just wet.

Work is on a 2 hour delay this morning.

I understand there was more snow down east between Raleigh & the coast.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
5" to 8" of snow in the forecast starting late tonight and into tomorrow. If it's anything like the previously forecasted storm, we'll end up with about an inch.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
About 2" of snow at home overnight and maybe an 1" at my office but we did get this text from the school district last night:

I texted "STOP" but they don't seem to have canceled the snowday.

FWIW, it had stopped snowing by the time I woke up around 5:00 a.m. but in the last hour it seems to have picked back up and the forecast is still calling for a bunch more all day long.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They were predicting 6-9" of snow yesterday. Color me completely unsurprised when we got 2-3" instead.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The snow tapered off yesterday morning after my post but then picked back up pretty heavily after lunch. It took me about 18 minutes to get to work yesterday and it usually takes about 22 minutes to get home but yesterday's evening commute was nearly an hour. There were multiple spin-outs, a 3-car accident, 2 cars in various ditches, and a tractor-trailer that was stuck in the middle of the main road because it couldn't get traction to go up the one hill on my route. All of this over the course of about 9 miles.

It ended up snowing well into the night before finally stopping around midnight or so (I think we maybe got about 4" or 5" total but it's very heavy wet snow) but the wind picked up and the temps were just right that the roads were pretty icy this morning thanks to snow blowing across the paved surfaces. I went for a run this morning and the narrow residential streets downtown and around the schools were a complete mess and I when I finished up, I noticed I received a text mid-run from the district that schools are closed again today.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It snowed a fine but heavy snow steadily throughout the day yesterday. We got less that 6" total, so they kept the schools open.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Well, we in Western New York State, and especially the western Southern Tier (Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Allegany Counties) have been wondering where winter was because it's been warm (for us) and not very snowy at all. Well, winter has found us. Everyone who lives between Route 20A and the PA border from Lake Erie to the eastern borders of Allegany and Wyoming Counties are under a blizzard warning until some time tomorrow afternoon/evening. Everybody else is under a winter storm warning that eventually is supposed to become a winter weather advisory by tomorrow morning. It's mostly because of the high winds, but here in the So Tier we will also be graced with lake effect snow, which is really unpredictable: if the snow band sets up over your house, you might get a foot of snow overnight while five miles away there might be none or only a dusting. "Favored" areas in WNY are expected to get between 1 and 2 feet of snow before the storm's done on Saturday while the rest of us get about 5.

Of course, it could be worse. The areas east of Lake Ontario are in for 2 or 3 feet of snow -- unless they're really "favored" and get more. :eek:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We got about 2 inches of snow overnight and it was generally a light cold and easily shoveled snow.

It was a pretty nice 'freshening', actually.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been a pretty mild winter here in Metro Detroit. I was outside yesterday evening and noticed that the tulips and hyacinths are already popping up. I didn't notice and crocuses or daffodils yet. I did also see these in one of the gardens for the first time:

I had never seen these in my yard before so I looked them up and I believe they are winter aconite. I'll have to get out there as soon as I get home today while the sun is still out and see if they are actually blooming during the daylight hours.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mid 70s for the high today, overcast, slight chance of rain here in the north central ATL 'burbs...I think we're about to enter The Pollening.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Headed to the upper 70s today here in the ATL, and the pine pollen bomb hasn't completely let go yet - already got some windows open.

Planit

Cyburbian
Low/mid 80s. Clear skis. Light breeze. Working in the lawn weather.

Everything is turning yellow + this Coronavirus stuff.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Oh. Without the requisite emoji I didn't know you were kidding. Either that or in my advanced age I just don't pick up on things like I used to.