• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
Temps will get up into the mid-80s this afternoon here in the ATL (die, Covid-19, die!). On the flip side, the pollen count today is close to 6,000...yellow pine pollen clouds everywhere.

kms

Cyburbian
There’s a tornado warning in the PA counties west of me, and the adjacent counties in WV and OH.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
There’s a tornado warning in the PA counties west of me, and the adjacent counties in WV and OH.
It rained like the dickens here in my part of NE OH. It looks nice and fresh in the neighborhood now and it’s about 64F at the moment. Though it’s forecasted to drop into the 40s by the end of the day.

kms

Cyburbian
We had several strong and intense storms yesterday. A man cleared debris away from a storm drain and the rush of water pulled him into the pipe. He didn’t make it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was sunny with temps in the mid 60s yesterday morning but it was pretty windy. We went for a nice long walk but my oldest daughter is starting to get bored with our "walks to nowhere" as she calls them.

When we got home her and my wife made some brownies and opened up some of the windows in the house and when they were in the kitchen her friend and her family rode their bikes up in our driveway so my daughter got to talk to her through the window for a few minutes so that was a nice diversion.

In the afternoon it got windy enough that it knocked over the really heavy adirondack chairs on our front porch, trash cans were rolling up and down the street, etc. I went for a walk around the block before dinner and the porto-john outside of the house being built up the street had gotten knocked over. :sick:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was sunny with temps in the mid 60s yesterday morning but it was pretty windy. We went for a nice long walk but my oldest daughter is starting to get bored with our "walks to nowhere" as she calls them.

When we got home her and my wife made some brownies and opened up some of the windows in the house and when they were in the kitchen her friend and her family rode their bikes up in our driveway so my daughter got to talk to her through the window for a few minutes so that was a nice diversion.

In the afternoon it got windy enough that it knocked over the really heavy adirondack chairs on our front porch, trash cans were rolling up and down the street, etc. I went for a walk around the block before dinner and the porto-john outside of the house being built up the street had gotten knocked over. :sick:
It was sunny and hit 90 at my house. The pollen was insane though.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Great weekend, then storms and a cold front rolled in. Rain overnight and this morning, more predicted for later.

We can't absorb the moisture. The ground is saturated, so any more just means flooding.

The pollen count is down this morning, though!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Saturday night a EF-2 went through the town next door

Path Length 5.2 mi
Max Width 575 yd

Five homes lost at least portions of their roof, and at least one home lost some of its second story walls. Dozens of other homes received moderate to major damage

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Cold front moved in quickly this morning. Temp has dropped 20 degrees since midmorning.

Rain included, so more ponding/overflowing puddles and mud.

Pollen count down for a bit!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
So far this month, Louisville has recorded two overnight lows in the 70s. The April average overnight low is 47. Louisville typically sees a total of 15 days in April with daytime highs in the 70s.

The humidity today also is stifling. A cold front is supposed to come through tonight and blow out the humidity and usher in lows in the 30s.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
It's pleasant outside right now. However, this afternoon should hit around 92. And then this weekend is back to the upper 60s.

While it's nice to have sunshine instead of the seemingly unrelenting rain, being limited in outdoor time in nice weather is a downer.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We got hammered by strong straight line winds/storm (and a couple weak tornados) last night at about 11:30p. The cleanup in my area is ongoing today. Lots of downed trees and damaged roofs. No major damage or loss of life, thankfully.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
They are forecasting enhanced risk of severe storms between 7-10 pm

TOFB

Cyburbian
They are forecasting enhanced risk of severe storms between 7-10 pm
We had 2.5" hail 2 miles to the west, north and east of us last night. We got none. While it is sunny and 75 degrees right now, same forecast today. 45 degrees tomorrow.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Mid 60s and sunny here right now with temps in the low 40s tomorrow and Friday. After that, the forecast for the next week is in the mid 40s to low 50s most days. There are some days with snow and freezing rain in the forecast too. Late March through most of April is always my least favorite time of year here in the Great Lakes - it will be perfect one day and just blah (that's a technical meteorological term) for a stretch of days.

I got 8 yards of mulch delivered yesterday and hope to get it all spread through the flowerbeds before Thursday when it's supposed to be coldest.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had 2.5" hail 2 miles to the west, north and east of us last night. We got none. While it is sunny and 75 degrees right now, same forecast today. 45 degrees tomorrow.
We had one inch hail briefly last night

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Well, we hit almost 80 yesterday, and will have a high of around 40 on Monday. So much for biking for the next week.

kms

Cyburbian
There was a tornado in the northern part of my county overnight. Pittsburgh International Airport reported a record breaking 75 mph gust of wind.

The storm woke me for a while, but I turned my back to the window and went back to sleep.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It is 36F right now in NE OH and snowing.

Today's date is April 6, 2020.

That is all.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Heavy rain early this morning knocked the pollen count down to a manageable level - might actually be able to open some windows this afternoon.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Over the last hour or so it's been alternating ever few minutes between sunny (but chilly) and calm to windy with rain coming down in sheets (but still sunny) to hail with no wind and then back to sunny.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's sunny and I did some work outside as part of my stay at home thing.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I walked my dog in snowflakes this am (about 8:30 am) and in a serious snow shower about 4 pm that got worse after I got home. Snow is sticking to the grass, and we're expecting anywhere between 2 and 4 inches by noon tomorrow. There's a winter weather advisory out for my county until tomorrow afternoon.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was snowing pretty hard while we were eating dinner last night, but nothing was sticking.

This morning it was about 34° but pretty sunny. I went for a run and it felt like I was running into a steady wind the entire time, no matter which direction I was headed.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We had about 1 inch of snow on the ground this morning and 35F.

One April 10th.

Gah.

Planit

Cyburbian
Big winds and rain this morning about 4:00 am & woke everyone up. A tree came down across the side road, but nothing at our house except a few branches and debris (thank goodness).

Didn't check the rain gauge but it's probably full now.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Big winds and rain this morning about 4:00 am & woke everyone up. A tree came down across the side road, but nothing at our house except a few branches and debris (thank goodness).
Couple of tornado warnings here between 2 and 3 am (or so I'm told), but nothing happened. The yard looks relatively unscathed. I slept through the whole thing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was pretty nice over the weekend with temps in the upper 50s or low 60s since Friday but it's supposed to in the low 40s all this week. They're forecasting heavy storms coming through later today and their looking at maybe 24" of snow in parts on Michigan's UP.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Somewhat calm right now in NE OH, but this afternoon is supposed to be extreme high winds and thunderstorms.

It might be another doozy.

TOFB

Cyburbian
For a not-too-bad winter, we got our first measurable snow on October 20, and got 3+ inches last night. More expected tomorrow.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Chilly this morning in the ATL, head up to a high around 60. More importantly, the pine pollen appears to be stopping.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Well after Sunday's storms, we cooled off. It was in the upper 40's on the drive into work this morning with a high of 66 degrees. For mid April, I'll take and enjoy it while I can.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I actually measured 4.5 inches in a shady spot. 40 degrees and a crystal blue sky.