• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Salmissra

Cyburbian
High today mid 60's.

We've already hit it and are headed down with a cold front, but hey - no snow!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It snowed ~3" last night and it's still snowing.
It started snowing here around 8:00 a.m. and hasn't let up. It's big fluffy wet flakes and they've just now started to actually accumulate on the ground. I think we're only expecting about an inch or so. Tomorrow it's supposed to be around 55.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been snowing off and on this morning. Just now I looked out the window next to me and couldn't see the house across the street through all the snow blowing around.

I went for a run around 6:00 a.m. this morning and for a few minutes it was freezing rain pretty hard. It was stinging my face and eyes, thankfully it only lasted a couple of minutes.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We've been getting wild swings in the weather. It was snowing a couple days ago, yesterday was in the low 50s, today is very very windy. I'm glad I tied down the greenhouse securely this year

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's friggin' snowing outside. Wind gusts of ... well, eyeballing it, probably 40 MPH / 60 KPH. Okay, it's fucking snowing outside.

There's only been maybe six or seven sunny days under quarantine. Otherwise, it's been overcast, cold, and wet for well over a month.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There's only been maybe six or seven sunny days under quarantine. Otherwise, it's been overcast, cold, and wet for well over a month.

We've had roughly the same weather pattern over the stay-at-home period. I've been trying to use the crappy weather as a reminder to my wife that we should permanently move somewhere with more warm, sunny weather. She hasn't budged.

Reactions: Dan

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Rain again today.

While I agree that the weather has been like a PMSing woman without her Midol, around here that means the smell of wet earth, flooding, and general greyness are keeping people inside. And therefore it's quiet outside and I can hear the neighbor's dog bark at the mailman/delivery people. Usually, there's enough activity like lawn companies or kids biking on the street that I can't hear the dog.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
It's friggin' snowing outside. Wind gusts of ... well, eyeballing it, probably 40 MPH / 60 KPH. Okay, it's fucking snowing outside.

Same here. Cold with relentless winds for over two weeks. And no end in sight. It seems like each April is more miserable than the last with the virus just exasperating all the misery.

• Sad

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's. Never. Going. To. End. Third day of SNOW in a row.

spring_in_upstate_new_york.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Today marks the first time this year where there are no days with highs only in the 40s in the 10-day forecast. There is one day with a low of 51°, but everything else is about 55°+ and none of the lows in the forecast are below freezing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was sunny with temps in the high 70s all weekend here - absolutely perfect outside! Yesterday I spend an hour laying in the hammock, drinking a beer, and listening to Wilco. The forecast for this week shows highs in the upper 40s to low 50s. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the forecast is wrong.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Summer is upon us. We are bouncing between the 70's and 80's and the humidity is back in force. I got my 7 mile walk yesterday but I was starting to feel it.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Low 60s and driving rain in the ATL currently. At least we're not going to get freezing temperatures this weekend.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Storms last night, but not so bad that I couldn't sleep.

Today it's so windy my porch rockers were blown over. But it's high 60's/low 70's today with sun, so that's a plus in my book!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Storms last night, but not so bad that I couldn't sleep.

Today it's so windy my porch rockers were blown over. But it's high 60's/low 70's today with sun, so that's a plus in my book!
The hail just missed us. I had a lot of friends posting FB videos of varying sizes of hail. We had fairly heavy rain for a while, and just a few small hailstones. You can hear them mostly at the end of this video... but just barely. Just west of us (like a mile or two) got pounded.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's snowing.

It's May 9th.

View attachment 48305

I took this picture yesterday. Today's no different, so it's not like this is deceptive or anything.

It snowed here on the 9th as well pretty hard for a while. We drove out to my parents' house to take them some stuff and see my mom for Mother's Day and her birthday and it was snowing hard enough while we were driving that it was near white out conditions for a bit. The ground was warm enough that nothing was really sticking though. We had taken chalk with us to their house and my kids were going to decorate their driveway but after a few minutes, everybody was complaining about their fingers being too cold.

That evening I went outside around 9:30 p.m. to cover up the grill that I had forgotten about and it was probably 55° and easily the warmest it had been all day.

Sunday the temps were in the upper 50s and low 60s all day but it never really felt like it was that warm. I went outside to grill some steaks for dinner around 5:00 p.m. and the thermometer said it was 62° outside. A few minutes after I got the veggies on the grill it suddenly started hailing, hard, and it began pouring rain on me a few minutes after that. I stood under the eaves while the steaks and veggies cooked and I think the temps dropped 15° during that time.

On my run this morning it was back in the high 20s with a few snowflakes flying by. Thankfully the sun is out now. Temps are supposed to climb into the 70s by the end of the week.

DVD

Cyburbian
We had some stuff fall from the sky. It was drops of water. Very confusing.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Headed up to 80 degrees this afternoon - might actually be nice enough to eat dinner on the screened porch tonight.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It rained enough Sunday and Monday that water started dripping from one of the can lights in our dining room last night. That only happens after periods of prolonged rain (like hours and hours and hours) with a steady wind. This is the first time it's leaked in probably 6 or 7 years. Thankfully it only seems to leak for a few minutes when it does. I've never been able to pinpoint where exactly it's coming in from, but I suspect somewhere around the chimney.

It was still sprinkling on me on my run this morning. There was a stretch of path that runs along a creek. Usually there is a good 3 or 4 feet of grass between the creek and the path but today the path was completely flooded with water about 6" deep.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We are starting to get in the 80's on a regular basis ourselves.
It's a bit cooler today - we had a squall line blow through late yesterday afternoon that brought a cold front with it. Looks like we'll be back up to the low 80s by Friday, though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's about 65° and sunny, which after our crappy, cooler than average summer, is apparently warm enough for my 90-year-old neighbor to sit outside in his backyard in his underpants to catch some rays.

• Wow
Reactions: kms

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Anybody watch American Experience
MR. TORNADO

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday's temps got up into the 90s and it's supposed to be in the mid to upper-80s today. There is a nice breeze and no humidity though so it's been pretty nice. There must have been some storms with straight line winds that came through last night. I heard nothing at our house (though as long as there's no thunder, I'll sleep through it) but when I went on my run this morning there was a 4 or 5 block strech in the city next door with a lot of large tree limbs down and I could hear the hum of some generators running.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We're reached the 90s for consistent temps. Must be early summer in Texas.

The only change to our routine is that the dog doesn't get an afternoon walk. While the 90s are bearable for humans, the permanent fur coat on the dog means even just around the block is a hot time for her. She doesn't like the extreme heat, so . . . we just don't do the afternoon walk with her.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Already hot & muggy out there.

Okay it's June - time for summer I reckon.
I am kind of enjoying it. Earlier this week my sister in Chicago sent me a pic of her car thermometer... 102...

I am just curious if the storms are going to kick up this afternoon.