• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
Stay dry WYP!
I know you've seen worse there, but...humidity & heat index will not be fun this week.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We've had a few really nice days here. Temps in the upper 70s/low 80s with almost no humidity. Today's high is supposed to be in the upper 70s, tomorrow is supposed to be 93°, and then back to the low 80s on Wednesday and low 70s to round out the week.

The pollen, on the other hand, has been horrendous. It's like when I lived in NC and everything outside would be yellowish-green because of all the pollen in April or May. Friday evening I was moving some stuff around in the yard and knocked the pillow off of the hammock and there was a big puff of pollen rising up from where it hit the ground. Saturday evening we were sitting out in the backyard after dinner and a stiff breeze suddenly kicked up and we literally see a massive yellowish cloud of pollen and dust rising up from the other side of the neighbor's house and floating into our yard and engulfing everything. It was very thick and reminded me of the napalm scene from Apocalypse Now. I don't ever remember it being this bad here.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Chistobal is the 3rd tropical depression to hit Iowa in 150 years. Moderate rain, a little gusty, but humid in the upper 70's. Kind of cool.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I went out to run at 6:30 this morning and it was already 78° with 85% humidity. It felt like I was swimming through the air it was so muggy. There was also a pretty stiff wind. Cristobal is quite a ways further west of us but I think we were feeling the very outer bands of it. It feels and smells like it's going to storm here, sort of like how it felt leading up to tropical storms when I lived in NC.

Planit

Cyburbian
From Monday afternoon to Thursday afternoon we had 3.5" of rain.

From Thursday night to Friday morning, we've had 3" of rain.

I woke up @ 2:45 am with it coming down in buckets, by 4:00 am it was letting up but the thunder & lightening was louder. I think it actually stopped raining about 5:30.

(Yes, I've basically been awake since 2:45, with a couple of 20 minute naps)

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I believe we are now at our 10th straight day of 90°+ temps. One more day and we will tie our record of consecutive high temps above 90° set some 60 years ago. Looking at the forecast, we should top out around 93° tomorrow and 95° on Thursday. Friday will be close, but we're currently forecast only to get up to 89° so it's like a cold front moving in!

DVD

Cyburbian
112 today, 117 for the weekend. We've hit the hot months and we're getting those high humidity readings of 12%.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We sure could use a rainy day or two. I wouldn't mind. I don't think we've had measurable rain here since maybe early-mid June.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We sure could use a rainy day or two. I wouldn't mind. I don't think we've had measurable rain here since maybe early-mid June.
Same thing here on this side of the state. I'm thanking the relatively cool, wet spring for keeping my front yard from being completely brown and crunchy like it normally is by now. If we don't get some good rain in the next few days though, it won't be long before it's toast.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
From WTForecast. Dear Mother Nature,, please don't run the F*cking humidifier with the f*ucking heater. Please and thank you. Pretty much describes the summers where I live.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ Here too lately. We finally had a bit of rain yesterday evening and it only succeeded in making things more hot and humid. For the first time in about 2 weeks, tomorrow is only supposed to get into the mid-80s instead of up in the 90s.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
^ Here too lately. We finally had a bit of rain yesterday evening and it only succeeded in making things more hot and humid. For the first time in about 2 weeks, tomorrow is only supposed to get into the mid-80s instead of up in the 90s.
I've got a friend who lives in the Charlvoix area and he has been telling me about it. Sorry if my sympathy lacks because that's my weather for 5-6 months.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My Jeep has been parked in the sunniest part of the driveway (instead of the garage like normal) for the past week or so and I just went to move it so my wife could get her car out. The thermometer in the Jeep said 111°.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was supposed to possibly get up to 100 today. It's only 93 at the moment, though.

DVD

Cyburbian
Couple more days to Saturday. It's supposed to be record breaking, somewhere above 117. It's only 104 right now so today won't be so bad.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
After 11+ years in our house, I've finally realized the 3 short horn blasts I occasionally hear in the afternoons or evenings outside is a lightning alert from the country club around the corner.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My "Weather Guy" is saying possible record heat for much of the whole country the last two weeks of July.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It started raining around 4:45 a.m. and there's still a bit of drizzle even now. It's probably not enough, but we needed this.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It started raining around 4:45 a.m. and there's still a bit of drizzle even now. It's probably not enough, but we needed this.
According to the radar, there's some rain for us on the horizon. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle out before it gets here.

It was very hot and humid on my run this morning and I was sitting in a chair outside drinking some water while cooling down afterwards and suddenly I felt a cool breeze and what felt like a drop in the humidity. Maybe the impending rain will actually bring some more pleasant weather.

TOFB

Cyburbian
After 11+ years in our house, I've finally realized the 3 short horn blasts I occasionally hear in the afternoons or evenings outside is a lightning alert from the country club around the corner.
Can only think of this:
1594390237913.png

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The rain made it here. I think "torrential" would be a good way to describe it.

Fortunately I came in from eating lunch on the patio a few minutes before the rain really started coming down. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to put down the patio umbrella and it seems to have been sucked up and blown away by the wind. Hopefully I'll be able to find it once the rain subsides a bit.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Well, the umbrella managed to travel about 150 yards, over our fence, through the treeline, across the neighbor's driveway, over their fence and through their backyard before coming to a rest in their pool. It did thankfully manage to miss the cars in their driveway but did break a couple of the bars in the the umbrella so it's toast. I really liked that umbrella too!

Oh well. The neighbors on the other side have a patio umbrella that has lights inside of it. Maybe I need an upgrade!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Couple more days to Saturday. It's supposed to be record breaking, somewhere above 117. It's only 104 right now so today won't be so bad.
Aren't you in Phoenix? I heard the predicted overnight low is supposed to be 92F Sunday. That is absolutely horrifying.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Well, the umbrella managed to travel about 150 yards, over our fence, through the treeline, across the neighbor's driveway, over their fence and through their backyard before coming to a rest in their pool. It did thankfully manage to miss the cars in their driveway but did break a couple of the bars in the the umbrella so it's toast. I really liked that umbrella too!

Oh well. The neighbors on the other side have a patio umbrella that has lights inside of it. Maybe I need an upgrade!
For the first time in this house, I brought the garbage cans, light lawn chairs and patio umbrella into the garage before the pending storm. Good idea . . .

0700 PM TSTM WND GST 1 NNW MOUNT JOY 41.63N 90.56W
07/11/2020 E90 MPH SCOTT IA NWS EMPLOYEE

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
For the first time in this house, I brought the garbage cans, light lawn chairs and patio umbrella into the garage before the pending storm. Good idea . . .

0700 PM TSTM WND GST 1 NNW MOUNT JOY 41.63N 90.56W
07/11/2020 E90 MPH SCOTT IA NWS EMPLOYEE
I don't know what our wind gusts got up to (probably not quite 90 mph though) but the storm came and went pretty fast. My oldest and I went out for a walk Friday after dinner and there were a lot of large tree limbs down and I noticed some huge trees down on my run yesterday morning. Our lights flickered a few times but thankfully we never lost power (we are in a lucky spot in our neighborhood where we almost never lose power) but there were still tens of thousands of homes in the area without.

The storm managed to finally push out a lot of the heat and humidity for a few days but looking at the long term forecast, the heat will return soon.

Saturday morning we went up to the beach to watch the sailboats start the Port Huron to Mackinaw boat race. The waves at the beach were easily 3' and washing over our dock and sending a lot of spray up and over the seawall. We still played on the beach and in the waves though. I think all of our bathing suits had about a pound of sand in them.

DVD

Cyburbian
Aren't you in Phoenix? I heard the predicted overnight low is supposed to be 92F Sunday. That is absolutely horrifying.
The water in my pool is probably around 92, but we're over our heat wave.

The courtyard mister was working overtime for cocktail hour so now I have to clean the nozzles. Hard water gets them eventually.

DVD

Cyburbian
Do yourself a favor and look at the Phoenix forecast. You'll feel a little cooler after that.

Planit

Cyburbian
So it's looking like there will be 2 tropical storms / hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend, Monday & Tuesday. One headed for Louisiana & one up the west coast of Florida.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So it's looking like there will be 2 tropical storms / hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend, Monday & Tuesday. One headed for Louisiana & one up the west coast of Florida.
Stuck in the middle with you. It's 2020, so I fully expect them to combine into one mega storm.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I went for a walk this morning and temps were in the 40s. It almost made me want to turn back and go get my gloves. Almost.

It's supposed to be up to the mid 70s today and around 80° tomorrow before we dip back down into the 50s for the following week.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I love the weather this time of year. Days when the highs are around 70 and the nights get down to maybe 50ish. After the zoning board meeting last night I spent a half hour sitting in the cool air alone on the front porch drinking a Shiner Oktoberfest and looking at the night sky and listening to the night sounds.