• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NEVERENDING ∞ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We're supposed to dip into the 70's starting tomorrow through Thursday. Night time temps will be in the 60's. I'll actually be able to open in the windows in the car and at home.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Interesting how MA an RI have higher record temps than states like TX or FL

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Interesting how MA an RI have higher record temps than states like TX or FL

Yeah, I noticed that. Maybe Texas has had so many heat waves that this one didn't crack the Top 5. In fact, I barely noticed how hot New England was because all you've been hearing about is the West these days.

I think it says a lot when Arkansas has the coolest summer of all the states (relatively speaking)

Here is the data from last summer. It was noticeably cooler and wetter in many places but some areas were almost as hot. Arkansas again had one of the coolest summers.

Temperature Ranks 2019-03 Summer.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl is upset that school went to 'online only' today because of TS Zeta. I said be thankful you're not in New Orleans, which didn't exactly make her feel better.

Rain should end by noon & it will be quite breezy all day.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Zeta blew through here in the early morning hours - yard is trashed, a phone line from the street to the house is down, and I haven't checked the basement yet...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Zeta blew through here in the early morning hours - yard is trashed, a phone line from the street to the house is down, and I haven't checked the basement yet...
I don't know if we getting the outer, outer bands of Zeta, but it's raining, raining, raining here in NE OH today.

Good thing I did this last weekend:
meme_gutters-full.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Girl is upset that school went to 'online only' today because of TS Zeta. I said be thankful you're not in New Orleans, which didn't exactly make her feel better.

Was she upset that they didn't have the day off completely, or was she upset that she didn't go into school physically?

After about day 1 or 2 of school this fall, my daughter and I were sitting on the porch eating ice cream and it suddenly dawned on her that she might not have any snow days this year because of the online capabilities. She wasn't happy.

Big Owl

Cyburbian

My youngest was upset that today was a remote learning day. She was disappointed that she didn't get to take some sort of state mandated pre-test and she wouldn't see her friends till next week. She also came to the conclusion that remote learning has likely killed the likelihood of "snow days".

We are getting a lot of wind. There have been a number of power outages in the area.zeta outage.PNG

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^She likes to be at school & this was one of her 2 days a week.

Just talked to her, the power is out at the house so she can't do on line school either. She said she was going to take a nap.

Bubba

Cyburbian

Basement is dry. We're apparently within the 5% of my 'hood that currently has power - yikes.

bureaucrat#3

The storm went through around 1 am last night. I've got a few small branches down in my yard, but nothing major. A few streets in the city lost power which was better than our neighboring city and the county. Both city schools are in session today. The county shut their system down and said no remote learning either due to power outages.

Its almost 80 and humid, but one of the radio stations switched to 24/7 Christmas music this week... so that's happening.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The storm went through around 1 am last night. I've got a few small branches down in my yard, but nothing major. A few streets in the city lost power which was better than our neighboring city and the county. Both city schools are in session today. The county shut their system down and said no remote learning either due to power outages.

Its almost 80 and humid, but one of the radio stations switched to 24/7 Christmas music this week... so that's happening.
Don't let Hink see that. if he does he'll be trying to find the station.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Temps were in the mid-30s on my run this morning. I saw the first few snowflakes of the season, though nowhere near enough to have any accumulation.

Planit

Cyburbian
Can you believe how Hurricane Eta went from a TS to a Cat.4 hurricane in 18 hours!
And its the strongest "greek" named storm (after Delta this year)...
And it might do a loop to enter the Gulf of Mexico late next week.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had the day off of work yesterday and temps were in the low 60s. It was a gorgeous day! I cleaned the gutters, put away a bunch of lawn chairs and other outdoor items, raked the leaves out of the flower beds, and generally spent a bunch of time outdoors. It's supposed to be pretty nice over the next few days.

If that nice weather pans out into the weekend, I'm putting up my outdoor Christmas lights!

TOFB

Cyburbian
I took a couple hours off yesterday afternoon to do some yard work in the gorgeous weather.

Spent most of the time a) looking for our cat and b) coaxing her out from underneath the neighbor's porch after she got her ass handed to her in a fight with a squirrel.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I took a couple hours off yesterday afternoon to do some yard work in the gorgeous weather.

Spent most of the time a) looking for our cat and b) coaxing her out from underneath the neighbor's porch after she got her ass handed to her in a fight with a squirrel.
Hey, no shame for the cat. Squirrels can be viscous in a fight. My birth mom had cat that got tore up by a squirrel. Evidently the cat picked the wrong squirrel to get in a fight with.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Freakish weather yesterday. Was sunny and got up to almost 70...in November!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Highs in the lower 70s all weekend (and that's supposed to continue through tomorrow). I used the unseasonably warm weather to get my outdoor Christmas lights up on Saturday then yesterday I took my youngest out to my parents' farm so she could run around in the fields (she specifically said she was wanted to go run in the big field) and explore around in the woods.

Next Sunday is my dad's birthday and he told me he wanted bagels and lox from a specific place near me so we brought those and had lunch on the porch. The porch was facing south and the sun was beating down on us so he brought out his little radio with a digital thermometer to show that the temps on the porch would reach up into the 80s.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It's still summer here, the 8th month of it. It's supposed to be in the 70's and 80's this week. On the upside, the leaves are starting the change.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This weekend the weather was unreal. If I was blindfolded I would have guessed it was maybe mid-September out.

Planit

Cyburbian
We were in the NC mountains yesterday in shorts & t-shirts.
This is November. That's just plain weird.

kms

Cyburbian
I went to a cookout Saturday and took a bike ride yesterday. I wore shorts and a summer shirt yesterday. I love this weather.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I knocked off a couple of hours early today with a throbbing headache and shoulder pain. Weather guy says old people may be sensitive with the rapid pressure drop. OK

Planit

Cyburbian
We had about 6" of rain over the last 2 days. Flash flooding in certain areas & a few bridges with washover.

It was raining hard when the phone rang @ 7:00 am. Caller ID said it was the school district. As the message played, all I could hear was The Girl saying "No. No. No. Damnit No."

School was cancelled for the day. Because they only go in school 2 days a week & weather/holiday/work day issues, she's only been in school 1 day in 4 weeks.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm glad I harvested the last outliers of lettuce and spinach remaining in my garden on Monday. I've got maybe enough for some tacos tonight or salad for two. We a had a hard killing frost last night that would almost certainly have ruined them.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Lows overnight were in the 40s, headed up to maybe a high of 60 today. Bright and sunny out there, though - gives me a wonderfully clear view of all the leaves falling. :grimace: