• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Winds around 40mph most of Sunday with gusts over 60mph. Our power never flickered but I kept hearing from people I know in the region that they were losing power.

Fast forward to 4:00 a.m. when my oldest woke us up screaming that she went blind but she quickly calmed down and realized we had just lost power. It stayed pretty windy until around noon or so and then finally calmed down. Temps were in the 40s all day and we never got our power back until around 4:30. Thankfully we had the gas fireplaces.

My kids survived the day without power pretty well. The only real complaint was that I couldn't make the pot roast I had been planning.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's cooled down very quickly. It was 36F today, last week there were a couple of days in the high 60s. There were a couple of high wind days but it's calmer now. I brought the palm tree and lemon tree inside last week to overwinter. We also had 10 trees cut down in the back yard last week, a couple of them were in bad shape and likely would have fallen in a good storm.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Updated description
Had not seen this in my area in awhile -

Thursday
Red Flag Warning This Morning through Sunset...

Strong and gusty south to southwest winds, critically low relative humidity, and drying fuel conditions will promote rapid fire growth.
Any fire that starts could quickly spread out of control.
There should be no burning today.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
BGMSnowfallAnalysisPublic.png

Bubba

Cyburbian
Clear, sunny and cold here this morning, but headed up to the low 50s this afternoon. The forecasts for Christmas Day have been bouncing around, seemingly by the hour you choose to check them - everything from sunny and decent temps to cold with three inches of snow...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Stick-to-the-trees snow with big, fluffy flakes. 30°F / -1°C.

IMG_5297.JPG

Reactions: kms

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Snow is in the forecast for tomorrow morning.

There is a theory that if there is thunder and lighting in the winter, it will snow within 10 days. Irony is there was thunder and lighting yesterday morning...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Snow is in the forecast for tomorrow morning.

There is a theory that if there is thunder and lighting in the winter, it will snow within 10 days. Irony is there was thunder and lighting yesterday morning...

Even better is Thunder Snow! I've experienced it twice and it was amazing/slightly scary and beautiful all at the same time.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Even better is Thunder Snow! I've experienced it twice and it was amazing/slightly scary and beautiful all at the same time.

I remember getting thundersnow one time here in Detroit about a decade ago. It was pretty cool. Every winter I hope we get it again but we haven't since then. :(

We have had a couple of times where it's been cold enough (like close to -30º F) that you could actually hear the ground cracking. When that happens, the sound is sort of like a very-localized earthquake.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We haven't had thundersnow in quite a while. I kinda wish we'd get some soon.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We got thundersnow on MLK Day 1994 and a record 25" of snow. We were one of the lead stories on CNN that morning. Then the Northridge earthquake hit and nobody heard anything more about us. The next night the temps went down to a wicked record -25F. Rather unusual for these parts.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We got thundersnow on MLK Day 1994 and a record 25" of snow. We were one of the lead stories on CNN that morning. Then the Northridge earthquake hit and nobody heard anything more about us. The next night the temps went down to a wicked record -25F. Rather unusual for these parts.
Yikes, I don't remember hearing about this.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We got an inch on the grass, zero stuck on the roads.

They transitioned all my kids into "virtual learning day" and have effectively killed off snow days.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They transitioned all my kids into "virtual learning day" and have effectively killed off snow days.
I was thinking about this the other day. We haven't had any big snowstorms yet this winter but if/when we do I don't see how the school district could justify a snow day for the secondary (virtual learning) students. Granted the elementary kids are in-person so I could see them getting a snow day.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I was thinking about this the other day. We haven't had any big snowstorms yet this winter but if/when we do I don't see how the school district could justify a snow day for the secondary (virtual learning) students. Granted the elementary kids are in-person so I could see them getting a snow day.

This happened in December in Jefferson County, West Virginia. Just across the Potomac from where I grew up and lived for a long time. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Dear Jefferson County Schools Community,

For generations, families have greeted the first snow day of the year with joy. It is a time of renewed wonder at all the beautiful things that each season holds. A reminder of how fleeting a childhood can be. An opportunity to make some memories with your family that you hold on to for life. For all of these reasons and many more, Jefferson County Schools will be completely closed for tomorrow, Dec. 16, in honor of the 1st snow day of the year. Closed for students closed for virtual … closed for staff. It has been a year of seemingly endless loss and the stress of trying to make up for that loss. For just a moment, we can all let go of the worry of making up for the many things we missed by making sure this is one thing our kids won’t lose this year. So please, enjoy a day of sledding and hot chocolate and cozy fires. Take pictures of your kids in snow hats they will outgrow by next year and read books that you have wanted to lose yourself in, but haven’t had the time. We will return to the serious and urgent business of growing up on Thursday, but for tomorrow build a snowman.

Sincerely,

Bondy Shay Gibson,

Ed.D.Superintendent

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
2020 was one of the hottest years on record for most of the country, including many states where it was the 2nd hottest year ever. Once again, Arkansas appears to be the "cool" spot for the country.

Statewide Avg. Temperature Ranks 2020.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a couple inches of snow Saturday about 9:00 pm. Roads were clear on Sunday morning and 95% of all snow gone before kickoff.

It was nice to see falling.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We had a couple inches of snow Saturday about 9:00 pm. Roads were clear on Sunday morning and 95% of all snow gone before kickoff.
The northside of the ATL got a wintry mix out of that system - the slush that built up from the snow and sleet between 6 and 8 PM was quickly wiped out by the rain that followed.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
They are talking ice storm here mid-week. Been there, done that. Not a fan at all.

kms

Cyburbian
We got about 4" of snow overnight and it's still falling. Our road crew usually has the roads cleared by now, and they arent keeping up with this. That means it's really bad past the edges of town.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well...at least the sun is shining through the clouds today.

meme_frozenJack.jpg

Reactions: JNA

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They're calling for about 4-7" of snow today. It's the middle of February, so I guess that's to be expected.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Shoveling took about 2 hours. 4°F this morning. My internet is down but at least we have power, unlike several of my friends.

Planit

Cyburbian
Power went out about 7:20 this morning but it was not because of weather...a car took out a pole.

Here its just wet, like standing water in the yard wet.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I've thawed out my outdoor faucets with a hairdryer twice now. I've resorted to just letting them run at a trickle. Faucet covers at 4°F are little more than a symbolic gesture.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This cries out for a meme. You know like the memes showing a plastic lawn chair that's tipped over following a 2.8 "earthquake" in some place like North Carolina that reads "WE WILL REBUILD!"

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My cousin lives just outside of Dallas, but grew up in Detroit. She posted that this is the most snow that she has seen since she moved south.