• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My cousin lives just outside of Dallas, but grew up in Detroit. She posted that this is the most snow that she has seen since she moved south.
Yeah, I got a cousin that lives in the DFW area that grew up near GR but moved down there 20 years ago. Said what would be an unremarkable weather event here is a catastrophe there, owing to a combined lack of preparation, equipment and experience.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yeah, I got a cousin that lives in the DFW area that grew up near GR but moved down there 20 years ago. Said what would be an unremarkable weather event here is a catastrophe there, owing to a combined lack of preparation, equipment and experience.
That is what I have discovered here... and we get at least one snow a year. I can't fathom what it would be like in Dallas.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Dallas is better prepared for ice, because we get that more often, than snow accumulation. We get black ice, icy overpasses, and ice bridges every year, but some years it's once and done. Other years, we may freeze twice. Rarely does it stay so cold that we don't even see 32 degrees for days on end. That's the issue right now - people don't know how to handle more than a couple nights of freezing temps.

We have no idea what to do with snow that doesn't melt quickly.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Copied from a former neighbor's FB post:
You transplants that are new to Texas, are about to experience “Texas Winter”. This is 6 or 7 days of cold, maybe some ice and snow. The weatherman will threaten snow. It may snow, it may not and if the weatherman says 2 inches it could be 10 or it could be 1/2”. It doesn’t matter how much snow it is, we’ll all freak out because we don’t see snow often.
The threat of snow (or ice) from the weatherman is your prompt to head to the grocery store and buy milk, eggs and bread. It doesn’t matter if you need these items. It’s just what we do. Everyone in town will be there.
You’ll also need to make a mad dash for faucet covers and finding them and getting out of the store will be like an episode of the hunger games. You’re in the redneck district.
Don’t look for a sled. You won’t find one. In the rare chance we get enough ice or snow to sled grab some cardboard or a trash can lid and go find the nearest hill. Yes, we know it’s not a hill. You live in the flatland, just go with it. You’ll be alarmed by the fact that you’re “sledding” towards a bar ditch, fence, or maybe into a farm to market road. Just go with it. You’ll be fine.
We don’t have the equipment to handle the winter and weather. The roads will be a mess and even though the state has been telling you for a week they’re ready, they’re not and it won’t work. Just stay home if you can and if you can’t just come to terms with the fact that nobody here knows how to drive in snow and ice.
Whatever you do, DO NOT talk about snow tires.
If you happen to slide off the road or get stuck, turn your flashers on, take a deep breath and wait. Two guys in a four-wheel drive truck will be along in no time to offer assistance. Don’t try to help them, they live for this stuff, and will do what they can to get you back on the road. If either one of them screams “hey y’all watch this” just get back and get your phone out and start recording, you’ll probably have a viral video. Also of note, when they offer you beer and deer sticks, don’t be rude, take them and smile.
No matter what you do, don’t talk about how they did it back home in any of these scenarios. Nobody cares. You live in Texas now, Texans know they live in the greatest state in the country and it’s our way or the highway.
When we act like we’re going to die and start to complain about the 7 days of winter just shut up, we’re serious and we don’t care how much you love it. We don’t.
You’ll be back in shorts and flip-flops in a week to ten days and it’ll be nice until right around Easter.
Texas “second winter” will be 2 or 3 days and will hit right around Easter, usually the week before or the week after. This will hit right around the time you plant flowers and a garden. We know you’re not from around here when we see you’ve planted flowers before Easter and before the “second winter” has hit.
This is why all the people at the nursery don’t sound like us when you’re shopping for plants. We know better.
During second winter it’ll go from 70 to 25 and you’ll experience all four seasons in one day. This too shall pass, get used to it and when second winter is over you can enjoy the 3-4 weeks of “spring” before summer gets here and it’ll melt your face off hot until sometime around Halloween.
God bless Texas!!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
...and infrastructure. For instance residential plumbing codes ignore deep freeze conditions. Many neighborhoods don't have natural gas so electric heat is the only option and the grid is not designed with enough capacity to handle such low temps. So even for us yankees who moved south, this is not a gimme.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Power went out at my home at about 2 AM and hasn't turned back on since. We huddled in our bathroom, warmest room in the house, and stuffed the tub with blankets. At 2 AM the temp was 68, by the time we left at 7:30 it was 50, and when I went back this afternoon to check on the pipes and see if the power came back on the temp was just under 40. I'm fortunate to have in-laws less than a mile away that did not lose power, otherwise we'd be scrambling to find a hotel that can accommodate a 1-year old and dogs.

There are a few other folks on my block I am very worried about. The temperatures are going to drop again this evening and I don't know what options are going to be available for the folks who haven't had power since late last night and don't have a gas burning heat option.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
They're calling for about 4-7" of snow today. It's the middle of February, so I guess that's to be expected.

We ended with about 8" over here in our neighborhood overnight, this is on top of the 2" we got yesterday morning and the ~6" that was already on the ground leading up to the weekend.. It had been a pretty light winter in terms of snow but now I don't think I've seen the grass in about 3 weeks.

I walked to Starbucks this morning and it was early enough that nobody had cleared their sidewalks and only the main street I cross had been plowed. After the first block or so I seriously considered turning around and heading back home to get my snowshoes because I thought it would have been silly to roll up to the coffee shop with them. On yesterday morning's run there were no tire tracks on our street yet but there were a pair of ski tracks so somebody (or a couple) had decided to go for an early morning cross country ski trek through the neighborhood.

That is what I have discovered here... and we get at least one snow a year. I can't fathom what it would be like in Dallas.

When I lived down there I recall in the winter of '01 we had gotten an inch of snow in Jacksonville and around the coast on the Monday night of MLK Day. The schools were closed on that following Tuesday and the base gave everybody an extra 36 hours off as well to help keep fewer people on the roads. Closer to Raleigh they had more like 6" and then the temps stayed just low enough that the snow and ice wasn't melting and of course the cities and counties didn't have the infrastructure to remove it. I remember watching on the news and seeing the lists of school closures every morning: it seemed like all of the schools in the counties from around Orange or Wake County all the way over to around Duplin and up to the VA border were closed well into the following week.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I usually enjoy LOLling at the people in places like Texas when they freak out over some cold temps and a dusting of snow but it's definitely concerning when I see the sustained low temps and lack of power in so many areas.

Not being used to driving in poor conditions or even a southern city not investing in snow/ice removal is one thing but major utilities being unprepared to keep the juice flowing and the lights on is something totally different, especially when these companies (whether they are public or private) have teams of meteorologists, economists, and modelers on staff. So either those trained professionals were incorrect in their predictions, or more likely, there were people above them who blew off their advice.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We ended with about 8" over here in our neighborhood overnight, this is on top of the 2" we got yesterday morning and the ~6" that was already on the ground leading up to the weekend.. It had been a pretty light winter in terms of snow but now I don't think I've seen the grass in about 3 weeks.
There's a good 16" on the ground here. Our GSD doggo, has a double coat of fur and doesn't really mind the cold air temps, but hates the deep snow every time she has to go potty.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There's a good 16" on the ground here. Our GSD doggo, has a double coat of fur and doesn't really mind the cold air temps, but hates the deep snow every time she has to go potty in the deep snow.

I was outside playing with my youngest yesterday afternoon and I could hear a shovel scraping in the neighbor's backyard. I looked over and saw the dad shoveling off a patch on their back patio and in the yard. I have to imagine it's for their dogs.

There is a house closer to downtown that I run past all the time. I can tell they have a heated driveway and over the past week, I realized they actually have a large section of the ground under their astroturf lawn heated as well. I wonder if that was done for dogs...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
And you have some better knowledge of driving in the white stuff than some of your neighbors.
It's funny, even up here where we get six or more feet of snow every year, that first time of the season there's ice/snow it's like everyone forgets how to drive on it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Talked with my sister in Chicago this morning.... She said they got a foot in the City and with the bitter cold weather it is causing a mess. They are lighting the commuter line tracks on fire to warm them up, but the snow kept putting the fires out.

(On a site note, given the history of the great Chicago Fire, I find it ironic that they light the tracks on fire).

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Our campus is closed except for essential business (we are WFH since spring 2020 already). Half my office is without power. A couple are also without internet. Two are under a boil water notice. I know of one who has left home to go to a family because of medical needs.

I am feeling really meh about working right now. I should be more productive since I actually can work - I have power and internet. However, I'm lacking motivation. Cold weather sucks.

More snow is expected overnight. It will build up over the snow/ice mix that's already on the ground. If it was all just snow, I'd be fine, but I hate dealing with ice.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mid 20s and still frosty in the ATL. The roads through my hood appear to be passable (we stayed in the mid-40s while it rained yesterday), although traffic earlier this morning was noticeably lighter. The frost actually looks pretty neat on the magnolias in my backyard.

DVD

Cyburbian
71 today. Phoenix looks kind of nice now doesn't it!

Mom's in San Antonio. Her pipes froze and she's not expecting decent weather until Saturday.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We got about 1/2" sleet yesterday then it changed over and we got about 4" of powdery snow. Side streets are challenging, main roads were fine at 7:50 this a.m. My little Mazda 3 doesn't much care for climbing even gentle slopes with ice.

DVD

Cyburbian
1613500475699.png

Also, Iowa is colder than the surface of Mars https://www.wsls.com/weather/2019/0...-than-some-places-in-the-northern-us-tuesday/.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
In the low 20s and have about 5 inches on the ground.

Easy-peasy for my region...especially for my 1.5 mile commute.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Time to load up the minivans with snow shovels and drive to Texas. I bet I could make 100% profit. Easy.

snow-shovels-testing-batch-lowres-.jpg

Pro tip: snow shovels are useful for yard and house cleaning activities other than snow removal. I use them for leaf removal in the Fall and as a supersized dust pan when I sweep out my garage. I have six snow shovels in my garage right now.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Time to load up the minivans with snow shovels and drive to Texas. I bet I could make 100% profit. Easy.

Pro tip: snow shovels are useful for yard and house cleaning activities other than snow removal. I use them for leaf removal in the Fall and as a supersized dust pan when I sweep out my garage. I have six snow shovels in my garage right now.

I use my snow shovel for moving mulch in the spring when I get it delivered.

TOFB

Cyburbian
As a regular snowblower is not practical for my property, I broke down and got one of these. Works pretty well.
Joe.jpg

And don't discount the value of one of these.
scoop.jpg

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
TOFB - I like the snow 'whacker'.

It's basically a modified weed whacker with a snow throwing rotor.

Nice.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
True story - the folks at the sewage treatment plant know when sweet corn is in season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the field trip to the city of Detroit's main sewage treatment plant was by far the most interesting field trip I ever went on.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
We had the worst one day snowfall total in over 100 years. 14.5" total. Even worse than the Blizzard of '78 which has been the watermark for bad blizzards for over 40 years. Well, that record was beaten yesterday, by .5 inches. Plus the Blizzard of '78 was spread out over four days. This event happened in barely 12 hours.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

By the time you get here the snow will be melted.