• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

kms

Cyburbian
Schools around here are closing early today due to the threat of storms with hail and tornados. Like some others here, the pollen is unreal. My car even turned yellow over the weekend as it sat in an airport parking garage.
My daughter told me that her school is closing early because of tornado watches.

Planit

Cyburbian
I think the bad stuff is going to stay south and east of us at the moment.

Watching some of the videos from yesterday was really something. I really don't want to see that in real life.

WYP - you guys good?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

WMO Hurricane Committee retires tropical cyclone names and ends the use of Greek alphabet​

Supplemental list of tropical cyclone names​

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1616093497562.png

Reactions: kms

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We got lucky and had almost nothing yesterday. 2 hours north of us had some damage, but it was much less than expected.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been very dry here over the past month or two (dry enough that brush fires have become a concern in parts of the state) but we finally got quite a bit of rain overnight. It's amazing how everything looks sooo much more green outside today. Now if only we could get those warmer temps to return...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's SNOWING outside now.

Eff me. No, really, it's snowing.

motherfucking snowing now.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm tempted to roll the various scattered "What's the weather like?" threads into this one. Whatcha' think?

Also, to stay topical, cold and overcast. 41°F / 5°C. Miserable.

sad_kitty.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm tempted to roll the various scattered "What's the weather like?" threads into this one. Whatcha' think?

View attachment 51201
Nah, back in 2003 we needed thread consolidation to avoid confusion as new threads were popping up daily frequently with same/similar themes. In 2021 I'm okay with users starting a new thread of their own if it will promote discussion, even if another thread with similar content was started only a few months earlier. We can manage the traffic fine and even link to older threads if it will help round out discussion.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
They forecast the "S" word - SNOW

still a 4 letter word that begins with "S"

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Beautiful morning for a dog walk!

Too bad the peaceful atmosphere was ruined by gardeners with leaf blowers.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had a dusting of snow yesterday afternoon. No evidence of it this morning.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our forecast of 1" to 4" turned out to be just a dusting as well and it was all gone by lunchtime.

176210254_10104646272454936_3860256967538277510_n.jpg

I have a friend in Windsor, Ontario (which is about 20 miles south of us) and they ended up with about 5 inches 12.7cm. My parents, who are a bit northeast of us and out in the country got a couple inches. I'll blame our dusting on the urban heat island.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Looking out the window, it appears we're getting another dusting now.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The ATL got what should be its last bit of cold weather (for the season) overnight - temps were still in the mid-30s at sunrise today.

Planit

Cyburbian
Freeze warnings this morning with 30 degrees.

We'll be in the high 70s again tomorrow.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I wouldn't count in it. Remember the May 8th 1992 snowfall to hit North Carolina? It snowed in northern Georgia too, though not Atlanta. Still a May snow event anywhere in Georgia has to be unprecedented.
Looking at a calendar, I'm about 99% sure I was back in south Georgia that day and oblivious to it snowing in north Georgia. Snow on the morning of May 7 that year would have been a different story.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We've had a few nice warm days so far this spring (including a few 80º+ days in April) but we've been well below average in terms of temps over the past couple of weeks. We should consistently be in the low-to-mid 60s this time of year during the day but instead we've been in the upper-40s and lower-50s. My lawn seems to be loving the cooler temps but I'm definitely ready for some heat and humidity.

It looks like things are slooooowwwlllyyy going to start warming up beginning Thursday.

Planit

Cyburbian
Today's high temp is projected to be 75.
Tomorrow's high temp is projected to be 55.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Rain.

More rain.

Flooding potential.

More rain.

And I have to go to a City Council meeting tonight.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Keep me away from any place on earth with a high heat index. Hot is bad enough, but when you add humidity to the mix bad quickly becomes intolerable.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have mixed feelings about the drought in MI. On the one hand tall grass/weeds complaints are way down, but on the other I have had to water my veggie garden like 57 of the last 60 days.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have mixed feelings about the drought in MI. On the one hand tall grass/weeds complaints are way down, but on the other I have had to water my veggie garden like 57 of the last 60 days.

I didn't even realize we were in a drought here in Michigan. It hasn't been exceptionally rainy the past few months but it didn't seem very dry either (my yard looks pretty nice and I've never watered it). I wonder if it's noticeably dryer further west or north in the state than here in the SE part.

On the topic of rain - we had a bit yesterday.

It was threatening rain all afternoon and it began sprinkling as I was packing up my bag and shutting my computer just before 5:00 p.m. yesterday. As I walked through the lobby doors to the outside, the heavens opened up and the rain was coming down in some of the heaviest I'd ever seen. Just a few minutes/miles later I was navigating my Jeep through flooded neighborhoods and fording water in the road up over the door sill of my Jeep (that already sits an inch or two above the standard Wrangler). There were vehicles stalled out in 4 or 5 different spots and stuck in the road (or washed haphazardly away to the shoulders) with water halfway up their doors.

I was trying to find some data from the NWS or newspapers but I wouldn't be surprised if we got 5 or 6 inches of rain in less than an hour. Not that much rain in the grand scheme of things but definitely more than what the drains could handle that quickly.

By around 6:30 p.m. or so the rain was mostly gone and the sun was coming back out. I went for a run after dinner and headed to a local park to run up and down the sledding hill but afterwards I wished I realized I should have ran on the trail that follows the river through town as it's always fun to see how high that segment gets and how fast the water runs after a big rain.