• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
We're under a tornado watch for another 30 minutes. According to the radar, all the 'activity' is west of us though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had a round of storms move through quickly late yesterday afternoon that knocked out power to 600k households in the state and then we had another round that came through from round 2:00 a.m. until maybe 6:00ish this morning and we're now at about 700k without power.

Looking at the outage map in Metro Detroit, it looks like our neighborhood is one of the few without losses but everything to the east and south of us looks affected. I didn't notice much in the way of trees down on my run this morning but I could hear the hum of the generators and there was a lot of flooding out there.

IIRC, at its peak there were nearly 850k households without power from the storms from a week ago today.

On my run Sunday morning I went through another neighborhood and could still hear plenty of generators running. One of the local tennis and swim clubs were allowing members without power to set up tents on their grounds so at least the kids could be "camping out" and there were shower and dining facilities available.

Yesterday we invited my daughter's friend and her parents over for dinner and some time away from their house and neighborhood that still didn't have power. We got a text from them this morning that power on their block finally came back on around 6:30 a.m. today... only about 160 hours from when they initially lost power! Yikes! :oops:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's still summer and will be for a while longer. The warm weather will likely continue into early part of September, but sometime around mid September we'll feel a disturbance in the Force and note that a seasonal change is beginning. Maybe it'll be a cool morning or an outlier maple tree with a few leaves starting to yellow, but you'll someone silently register the change is definitely coming.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
It's still summer and will be for a while longer. The warm weather will likely continue into early part of September, but sometime around mid September we'll feel a disturbance in the Force and note that a seasonal change is beginning. Maybe it'll be a cool morning or an outlier maple tree with a few leaves starting to yellow, but you'll someone silently register the change is definitely coming.
I predict this will be the hottest September on record for Ohio. Not sure about Michigan, because of the UP, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's in the Top 5.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I predict this will be the hottest September on record for Ohio. Not sure about Michigan, because of the UP, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's in the Top 5.

It honestly didn't feel all that extraordinarily hot here in SE Michigan this year. Yes, we had a week or two of really hot weather, but that's nothing new. I wouldn't be surprised though if we still had one of the warmest summers on record because I'm sure it probably got slightly warmer earlier in the year than it normally would and we still have days in the forecast with temps expected in the mid-to-upper 80s. I imagine it's the summer weather starting earlier and lasting longer that will make a bigger difference in the long run.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This morning when I walked outside there was a certain crispness in the air. The thought actually entered my mind "wonder if I should maybe wear a jacket?" Of course I didn't, but am recording this to document a psychological phenomenon. On the drive in to work the thermometer in the car registered 52 degrees F. Looking on my phone now, I find a picture taken of me grilling in the back yard this past April. I specifically recall the temperature because I wondered if the ambient temp was such that it might slightly slow the cooking time. In the photo I am wearing shorts, a tee shirt, and sandals. The temperature at that time was 48 degrees.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We are on the "no coat" side of 57 degrees in the AM. In the Spring we will be on the "coat" side of 57 degrees. I think it is just mental for me, as if you are used to not wearing a coat, you can manage a bit colder, but if you are always wearing a coat, you just continue to wear it.

PS. I cannot wait for Fall...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Having a constantly complaining middle schooler has presented a new problem with this transitional weather: they complain that it's too cold in the morning on the way to school but if they want to take a light jacket or hoodie they complain in the afternoon that it's too hot or it makes their backpack too heavy if they stuff it in there. Is there anything a kid won't complain about?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Raining today too. Maybe that's good for the seeds in the garden I sowed on Sunday, but maybe it's too much too late.