• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
An unusual springtime cold snap in FL. It was in the mid '40's and rainy in the panhandle this morning; luckily, it warmed up a bit as we got back to central FL.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SPRING? WHAT SPRING?

We just got 7" of wet heavy snow. Thunderstorms on the way tonight, then 4+ more inches of snow expected tomorrow.

So much for my campground opening Friday :r:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Chet.....I thought about you and the other Wisconsin Cyburbian residents after seeing the weather reports for your part of the world. Here in NW Ohio it was snowing like a bitxx this morning but the temp was right at 32F to 34F so it did not stick on the ground.

Of course, you know what all of this means? Hot summer.....so when it is all over, the weather dudes can say the temperature for the year was "average". Remember this weather when the sidewalks in downtown Milwaukee are hot enough to fry eggs.

Bear

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Wow... El Niño went out fast... Equatorial Pacific is already showing strong negative anomalies (and thus making an inverse El Niño, a.k.a. La Niña). Why do I mention it? besides that it probably means that Chile will most likely experience a drought if it continues, it also means that Australia and New Zealand may also get more rain... don't know about the US... but I think there are some minor influences...

Queen B

Cyburbian
Yes Skel it does affect us.

Currently torrential rains pouring up from New Mexico are training across KS. While a strong northerly front is sweeping down from Canada. We are expecting a foot of snow today. They have already closed schools.
I am sick so I wasn't going to work anyway.:-D

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Chet.....I thought about you and the other Wisconsin Cyburbian residents after seeing the weather reports for your part of the world. Here in NW Ohio it was snowing like a bitxx this morning but the temp was right at 32F to 34F so it did not stick on the ground.

Of course, you know what all of this means? Hot summer.....so when it is all over, the weather dudes can say the temperature for the year was "average". Remember this weather when the sidewalks in downtown Milwaukee are hot enough to fry eggs.

Bear

And today it is gorgeous out and all the snow melted. Woo Hoo!

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
Sunday: Winds 25 to 30 knots, gusting to 40. Waves 3 to 4 feet.
Monday: Winds 30 knots, gusting to 45. Waves 4 to 5 feet. Showers likely.

:-c

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Okay, now we have snow on the ground from this evil Nor'easter. This is absolutely terrible weather for April.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The evil Nor'easter has caused roads to flood, uni to be cancelled, and my daughter's district also cancelled school today. The power is flicking on and off this morning...it's going to be a long day cooped up in the house. I only hope things get better tomorrow evening for my flight to South Carolina.

biscuit

Cyburbian
It's 70 outside this afternoon so I thought I'd bike up to my favorite coffee shop and work on a paper. My posting in this thread shows exactly how much work I'm getting done. :r:

Tosspot

Cyburbian
It's 70 outside this afternoon so I thought I'd bike up to my favorite coffee shop and work on a paper. My posting in this thread shows exactly how much work I'm getting done. :r:

WiFi can actually be a hinderance. I can relate.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wind blowing so hard it bent/knocked over several recent transplants to the garden!:-@ :-@ :-{ :(

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It's 84 degrees and sunny.
clear.GIF
Woo-hoo!!! I know it won't last, but I am still enjoying this hint of summer. We had gin & tonics and chips & salsa on the porch this weekend. :)

zman

Cyburbian
Windy, rainy, with snow, thunder, lightning and tornadoes? What is going on.

Thunder snow, with a side of tornadoes? :-o

"Someone" is coming -- look busy. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
For the second time in a week, central Florida is blanketed by smoke from the huge wildfire in southeast Georgia! Unbelieveable. :-o

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Overcast and a bit on the cool side but not too bad considering the rain earlier in the week.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Perfect weather on the panhandle today. Warm temps (low 80's), a crystal clear sky, light winds, and low humidity. A round of golf this morning, home by 1:00, and an afternoon kicked backed by the pool (the water is up to 74 degrees), sipping beer. It don't get much better than that.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Deadly tornados hit last night. It was on the ground for over 100 miles and three hours. I called my daughters house at 2:30 to give them the warning that it was just about to hit Ellsworth. Just then it lifted. Thank God. They have 7 confirmed dead as of this time. It took the whole town of Greensburg,KS. My prayers are with the former residents. They have evacuated the whole town.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
They are now reporting the Greensburg, KS tornado was a EF5. serious :-c :-o

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
There is a front off the Carolinas that is supposed to move over Florida in the next several days. Word is that it might develop into a tropical storm. Hurricane season doesn't start until June 1!! In the meantime, there are already 10-15 foot waves and gusty winds on the east coast; there go the beaches again......:r:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Smoke from the fires in the southeast has reached the panhandle making for an ugly afternoon. And the forecast says when the inversion layer sets in tonight, it will get worse.

We need rain!!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Its shaping up to be a beautiful weekend for camping at the trailer. 50's at night, 70's by day. Perfect for nekkid campfires! :-D

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today where I work I have seen sun, rain, hard rain, and fog. It was weird.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We've been in a severe drought so I can't really complain about the thunderstorm we are having, but holy cow, I was leaving the grocery store and got caught in a huge hailstorm. Managed to find cover in the drive-thru lane of the second bank I tried but had to let the front of my car get slammed to let a little car in behind me.

See, there are nice people: a guy in an Expedition in the next bank lane grabbed towels and big rubbermaid container tops out of the back of his SUV and was covering all the hoods and trunks protruding from under the canopy.:)

zman

Cyburbian
A creepy eastern wind blew my bedroom door shut this morning. For those not framiliar with the high plains, normally the wind comes from the west. Needless to say, we're expecting big rains in Northern Colo. this afternoon.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a beautiful day outside....sunny and 70 forecasted today. Maybe I will go walk on the beach during my lunch hour.

natski

Cyburbian
We have RAIN!!!!

not only did the city get rain- but all the farmers in the west of the state did too!

Thank you weather gods! :p;):-D:-D:-D:-D:b:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rain came here last night which helped quell the wildfire...yes there was a wildfire in NJ :-c

Next up....AC shopping cuz electricity is included in my rent. What's that you say? Not particularly green of me? At least I won't be roasting!

zman

Cyburbian
The baseball game I am going to tonight, Rockies/Reds, is forcing me to dress for November-ish weather. First of June and we expect 50 degrees tonight. Weird.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Been very hot and dry here for most of a month. Forecast calls for 40% chance of thunder-boomers Saturday and Sunday. My yard and garden could stand some free water.:-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here in NW Ohio we also have been hot and dry for about a month. We usually have a few 90F and above days during the course of a summer. Some years we have NO 90F and above days. This year, we have already had about 4 of those scorchers and we have also had a slew of 85F to 89F days.

And June is just beginning. :-c

Looks like a hot and dry summer is in the offing. Not exactly my favorite.

There are pockets of rain and thunderstorms in our area today (Sunday) but they are very scattered. The temps are supposed to drop back to the mid-70Fs range for the first part of the week.....and be back to 90F temps by the end of the week.

Parched Lawn Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
HURRICANES - RETURN PERIOD MAP

HEADLINE: In a Busy Season, a Return Engagement?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/weekinreview/03basicA.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

HIGHLIGHT:
While predictions are just that, predictions, historical data can offer perspective. The National Hurricane Center in Miami used such data to calculate “return periods” for hurricanes along the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts. Forecasters estimated how often, on average, a major hurricane of Category 3 strength or greater would pass within 75 miles of selected coastal communities.
The map is very interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/06/03/weekinreview/03basics.html
but it does not go north of Virginia Beach, VA, because the return period is greater than 36 years ?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's mercifully cooler today given my lack of A/C. It's been rather toasty this past week here in NJ, supposed to rain today and tomorrow and then back to the heat. At least I work at the beach and can go there on my lunch :D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We were out of town yesterday when the eastern edge of a tropical storm blew through. My bell pepper plants look good so they obviously got some rain, but they were covered with pine needles. So I guess there was a bit of wind here, too.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's 90 today and windy as all heck. Storm warnings for this evening - tornadic storms, 2" diameter hail and 75mph winds expected. Good thing I'm not heading to the camper for the weekend. :r:

zman

Cyburbian
We had 80s, then yesterday 45 mph winds and cold. Feels like fall.
Today 60 degrees. This weekend, 85.

Something weird is going on round here... :-o

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Speaking Of Climate Change.....

As the climate has changed (a tad bit or a whole lot, depending on POV) one thing I have noticed is that the northern Great Lakes areas seem to have more violent thunderstorms and more tornado watches and warnings. This afternoon the weather radar for the upper midwest (central Wisconsin through the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan) is filled with reds and yellows.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Under a Tornado Watch here in Northern Illinois. Today, the Storms Prediction Center predicted a HIGH risk of severe weather for Northern Illinois and Wisconsin...I can't remember the last time that happened.

Large hail, damaging winds, and tornadoes in the forecast this evening. :-c

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The National Weather Service's national watch/warning map has multiple tornado watches stretching from the UP to the Red River that continue from 10 pm to 4 am.

zman

Cyburbian
We set a low temperature record along Colorado's Front Range this morning. Temps as low as 30f! A little chilly this morning. Let's hope we have a warm cocktail hour tonight. ;)

Planit

Cyburbian
Hottest temperatures so far this year - supposed to get up to 96 :-c
Grass is all nice and brown, but we are watering the tomato plant and various flowers every other evening.
True summer special going on now for the past couple weeks...hot, chance of rain.

Planit

Cyburbian
There is water falling from the sky! Haven't seen this for a long time. They say its something called 'rain' - it sure is interesting to watch.

Bubba

Cyburbian
There is water falling from the sky! Haven't seen this for a long time. They say its something called 'rain' - it sure is interesting to watch.

That front is supposed to hit Atlanta this afternoon (strange front in that it's moving east to west), so we might get some of that "rain" as well.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I spent all weekend cleaning up three acres of hell, my in-laws, from a severe thundersorm/small tornado. 11 trees down, including a 60 foot oak that fell on the house, many others damaged. They are lucky to be alive.