• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I called my brother a little bit ago to tell him a tornado was possibly heading his way. Luckily his son, who is an EMT, had also called so they are ready. The bad thing about living in FL is that we don't have basements to hide in when a tornado hits. I don't know why they keep hitting around my brother, he's not in a house trailer, a known tornado attractor.

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
We had a tornado in the area not too long ago. I came home, turned on the TV, and saw the tornado warning. I thought, "hmm, warnings are only when a tornado's actually been sighted, right?" So I turn on the NOAA weather radio, and the automated voice is going bonkers about radar indications of a tornado, and rotation confirmed by spotters.

We didn't worry about tornado activity here until an F4 tornado drove right down main street in La Plata. Now instead of just running a little crawl across the TV screen, they'll break in with live, constant news coverage, etc. A tornado touch-down was also the first (and only) time I've seen the Emergency Alert System used for anything other than a test here. It's actually pretty freaky, to have the EAS, the NOAA alert radio, other radios, and pagers all going off at once with a warning. I was pretty sure World War 3 had started. Yegads.

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
Holy cow! The forecast high for tomorrow, July 23, is 72 degrees!

I might be sick tomorrow. Cough cough. ;)

zman

Cyburbian
Too hot here... everyday that passes is one more day closer to Fall and Winter... (and football and hockey and turkey);)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had a really nice weekend, mid-80s without too much humidity. This morning I woke up to dreary skies with lots of liquid sunshine coming down.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Early August in NW Ohio.....it continues to be very dry. Many of the counties in the area are in "moderate drought" status. The only days in the last couple months with rain were days that Katie and this Bear were supposed to be camping. Ack!

Finally expecting some thunder-bumpers tonight and Sunday. Certainly hope so. It is so dry.
______

"Woodstock" (the film and the music) paraphrase moment.....

"Hey, if we think really hard, maybe we can START the rain! Yes. rain! Yes, rain! Yes, rain!"

Cue Santana.

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It has been extremely hot and humid here in Illinois the past couple weeks. Highs around 90. And today the dewpoint was a steamy 76 degrees.

Had a lot of rain last night, and a chance of rain pretty much every day this week.

I think this is the first year the grass has been green all summer in a long time.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Damnit, can't I watch the television for more than five minutes without getting a "(screaming klaxon sound) STORMCENTER EIGHT ACCUCAST SEVERE WEATHER ALERT : A THUNDERSTORM WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES: CUYAHOGA. THIS HAS BEEN A STORMCENTER EIGHT ACCUCAST SEVERE WEATHER ALERT (screaming klaxon sound)"

Never during a commercial, of course.

Planning Fool

Cyburbian
Damnit, can't I watch the television for more than five minutes without getting a "(screaming klaxon sound) STORMCENTER EIGHT ACCUCAST SEVERE WEATHER ALERT : A THUNDERSTORM WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES: CUYAHOGA. THIS HAS BEEN A STORMCENTER EIGHT ACCUCAST SEVERE WEATHER ALERT (screaming klaxon sound)" :-$

Never during a commercial, of course.

Cause they know commercials are when we go to refill our drinks, put our plate in the sink, etc. :-$ If they frustrate us enough while we're watching our favorite shows...they message has got to sink in, right? :(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Louisville set records yesterday for the warmest low temperature recorded on 7 August (81F) and hottest (101F). More of same expected through tomorrow, at least. You know it's bad when the forecast calls for weekend highs in the low 90s and you think "wow, it's cooling off!":-o

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Last week down at the Jersey Shore off the ocean breeze was very comfortable at night. :)

Now I am back in the HOT Midwest. :(

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
It's crazy hot this week. Like being in a sauna :r:

Heat index here has been over 110 degrees F the last couple of days and is forecast to continue for the next couple of days.

Must be nice; I get home and ZG is sitting by the pool, "It's been sooo hot."

The pool does cool us off. :h:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heat index here has been over 110 degrees F the last couple of days and is forecast to continue for the next couple of days.

Must be nice; I get home and ZG is sitting by the pool, "It's been sooo hot."

The pool does cool us off. :h:

No pool here. Cheap uni bastards.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We had a tornado warning here yesterday. They made us all go in the basement at work. It looked ominous on the radar, but I don't think there was ever a touchdown.

It's supposed to be finally dry for once...tomorrow I think.

Richmond Jake

I might as well be in hell here tonight. From the NWS:

Aug 9, 7:53 pm CDT

Light Rain

86°F (30°C)
Humidity: 83 %
Wind Speed: SW 3 MPH
Heat Index: 101°F (38°C)

jmac

Cyburbian
Wow.... those are some wild clouds. Bet that was a real sight in person.

The same front moved through Pittsburgh yesterday but I was too busy trying to keep water out of the basement to look at the clouds. :(

Queen B

Cyburbian
Last edited by a moderator:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's raining like a mofo here today. Nice departure from the icky sticky heat.

Thats what it looked like in Pittsburgh yesterday too, it was insane. I was riding the bus in the morning and there was water lapping up in the step wells when we drove through a low intersection. We lost a couple of bridges and officially we got over 6 inches of rain.

Richmond Jake

Current weather on the panhandle.... :-c

Mostly Cloudy
85°F (29°C)
Humidity: 88 %
Wind Speed: W 6 MPH
Barometer: 29.89" (1012.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 81°F (27°C)
Heat Index: 101°F (38°C)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Forecast
Today - 96, Sunday - 99, Monday 96, Tuesday - 99, Wednesday - 99

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a gorgeous 71F as I sit outside typing this post....expected 80F today. Mid to high 80's forecasted for the next five days :-D

Queen B

Cyburbian
Not been out, not going out if I can help it. 103F
It has been that way for days now and does not look like it will change.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:-c :-o It is 103 without the heat index.
Heat Advisory until 9 PM. :p

zman

Cyburbian
We have cooled a bit here, but the rain is back. Seems like the days I pick to go on the roof to check the leak, the rain comes.

Not that I am scared of rain, but the famous Colorado lightning is back this summer... I hate lightning. :-c

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
People here are getting wood over the tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico and another storm with the potential for major hurricane near the Caribbean that should get shot in Texas' direction... We had 17" of rain in July already, so the ground in pretty saturated. Any rain we get pretty much means instant flash flood.:-| Seems like rain is feast or famine around here: never a normal year and always drought or flood.

This latest round is Karl Rove's fault for coming back to Texas. ;):p

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The lawn looks like grain ready for harvest: a beautiful golden color. At least it doesn't need to be mowed;-)

Record high temperature yesterday: 103F -- beat the old record set in 1888 by a whopping six degrees.

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
Forecasters are reporting sky today, with a 91% chance of atmosphere. It may precipitate, or it may not, and there will be a temperature. The sun rose at some point, and will set when it gets around to it, unless it doesn't.

Me, I don't know about any of it, because I've been stuck in the windowless sub-basement all morning. The whole city could be wiped out in a nuclear blast, and the only clue would be the lights flickering for a second before the generator kicked on. :r:

Planit

Cyburbian
Well let's see now, it's been 23 straight days without any recordable rain fall here in the Old North State (North Carolina). Grass is brown and crunchy. Our cool weather resulted in a high of 93 degrees. Yesterday it hit 101 which means at least 8 or more days over the century mark in the last month. Thank goodness today its only 98 so far.

Hey Texas, send us some of the sky fallen water!!! Pretty Please!

Forecasters are reporting sky today, with a 91% chance of atmosphere. It may precipitate, or it may not, and there will be a temperature. The sun rose at some point, and will set when it gets around to it, unless it doesn't.

Me, I don't know about any of it, because I've been stuck in the windowless sub-basement all morning. The whole city could be wiped out in a nuclear blast, and the only clue would be the lights flickering for a second before the generator kicked on. :r:

It's quite overcast outside. Are we experiencing some type of residual effect of Hurricane Dean? Or are we too far away?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Are we experiencing some type of residual effect of Hurricane Dean? Or are we too far away?

You're seeing the residual effects of a tropical storm that blew through to W. Texas and then headed north. No Dean effects for any of us yet.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
HEAT WAVE

From the NWS Paduch as of Aug 20:
90 degrees and above - 21 consecutive days through August 19.
95 degrees and above - 14 consecutive days through and including August 16.
100 degrees - 4 days (the record is 23 days in 1936).
104 degrees on August 15... (Hottest temperature since July 13, 1966).

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just An Average Year

Heavy rains continue to pummel the NW Ohio countryside. Drought conditions were the name of the game for the first seven months of the year. Now we have just about made up the shortfall, with day after day of rain.

When it all shakes out, we will look back at this year as "average".

On my way home this afternoon all the usual low-lying areas of western Lucas County were flooded. Some roads are closed, some houses have water in them.

Nothing like the heavy rains that pured through the upper midwest, though.

Bear

Bubba

Cyburbian
The official high in the ATL yesterday was 104. The highest ever officially recorded temp in Atlanta is 105.

Oh, and we need rain.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We set a new record here in Louisville with 22 straight days above 90F, including eight other records, and tied several more. Last week we hit 105F. Monday's temps only got to 88F, but we're back on the boiler again, as today will break 100F and Friday may reach 106F. Those are ambient, btw, not heat-indexed temps.

It's been a sweltering-hot August.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Heavy rains continue to pummel the NW Ohio countryside.
Nothing like the heavy rains that pured through the upper midwest, though.
Bear

Obviously, predicting the weather is not a strength. :-c

NW Ohio has been in the national news for the last two days, related to the massive flooding in Findlay and Ottawa. In Findlay it appears that the flooding has impacted at least 70% of the buildings. What a mess.

I-75 was closed for a while, because of a flooded roadway. One of the nation's busiest highways was closed because of a stream that is normally about 20 feet wide, Riley Creek. This Bear did a canoe trip on Riley Creek, back in the 1970s, going from Bluffton to Pandora. On the way we were chased by slow-moving cows who waded through rapids to get the somewhat-inebriated canoeists. We had to mooooooooooove quickly to escape the adventerous Holsteins. (What was our hurry? They were cows and cud only move slow.)

:-c

True weather random, with the usual "remember when" shoved down your somewhat suspecting throats. :)

What the hey.....weather needs to be more than a fat guy with a screen behind him pointing to Kansas and saying "Cold front right here in Devner."

Bear

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Chicagoland got slammed by massive thunderstorms yesterday. Real nice. :r:

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Chicagoland slammed by massive thunderstorms yesterday. Real nice. :r:
We got sheared here about 40 minutes later. Our neighbors lost a 70' maple in their back yard (and narrowly missed our fence):-|

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Much of Wisconsin has had record rainfalls for the month. It hasnt stopped raining since last friday. Over 6 counties are disaster areas, damage in the double-digit millions.

Tresmo

Cyburbian
We had a heat index of 125 a week or two ago. I'm enjoying today's 99 degree HI. I love walking out my front door into a wall of humidity. :p

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Yeah, flooding everywhere. The tornado sirens went off here yesterday, but not a whole lot of damage out where I am right now. But there's trees and power lines down all over the north side and northern burbs. You would've thought we had a blizzard with all the news coverage and school closings scrolling across the bottom of the screen. I guess 300,000 people are without power cause of the storms.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Chicagoland got slammed by massive thunderstorms yesterday. Real nice. :r:

It was sunny when I left the apartment yesterday so I stupidly left the window open...got home to find water half way across the room and all over some of my books. The thing is when it had rained before it had never come in so I wasn't too worried. But yesterday's storm has to have been one of the most poweful I've ever seen.

Bubba

Cyburbian
What is this rain of which y'all speak???

The official high in the ATL yesterday was 104. The highest ever officially recorded temp in Atlanta is 105.

Oh, and we need rain.

Note to the Rain Gods - three minutes of rain once every six days ain't getting it done.

Thanks,

Bubba

Jeff

Cyburbian
i was in the middle of a small tornado in upstate NY last weekend. it was wild, lifted my gas grill up about 5' and completely destroyed 2 pop up tents we hahd going.