• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Note to the Rain Gods - three minutes of rain once every six days ain't getting it done.

Thanks,

Bubba
Dear Bubba(s),

I would be happy to send you all the water you want. I've got too much of it right now.

Sincerely,
Chicagoland

Bubba

Cyburbian
Dear Bubba(s),

I would be happy to send you all the water you want. I've got too much of it right now.

Sincerely,
Chicagoland

Dear Chicagoland et al.,

We'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks in advance,

The Chattahoochee Watershed

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
So I blow out of work early today (I earned it, no comments from the peanut gallery, please), because the weather we perfect downtown. But I arrive at our suburban ranch house 7 minutes from work to overcast skies, thunder, and lightning. The best laid plans..... :-{

Perhaps a night-time dip in the pool. :)

zman

Cyburbian
One of those Colorado days occurring...

Had the heat on this morning and will have the Air Conditioner on in the afternoon.

Of course, this is minor because I am speaking of the HVAC in my truck. The true Colorado days are when the heat/air cond. combo must occur in the house.

tsc

Cyburbian
freaking muggy.... OMG...my glasses totally fog up outside. This bites.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Lancaster County, PA it was wicked hot and wicked humid outside...and we were outside all day.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Note to the Rain Gods - three minutes of rain once every six days ain't getting it done.

Thanks,

Bubba

Dear Bubba(s),

Sincerely,
Chicagoland

Rain Gods, mendleman, Chicagoland, et al.,

Thanks for cooperating this weekend - keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Bubba

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Long, Hot Summer

Weather tidbit from Toledo, OH.....

Average number of 90F or higher days in a summer....12.

The number (so far) in 2007.....22.

Obviously, we are the NEW Louisville. ;)
_____

This Bear.....not a fan of 90F weather.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
2007 heat wave
Longest streak on record: Through and including August 29th, there were 31 consecutive days at or above 90.
This surpassed the previous record streak of 27 days ending on July 29, 1936

Through and including August 16, there were 14 consecutive days of highs of 95 or above there.
The previous record was 12 days in July of both 1983 and 1936.

There were 6 days with highs of at least 100 degrees. The last summer we reached 100 degrees was in 1995, when there were 4 such days. In 1988, there were 7 such days. The record is 23 days in 1936. August 15...104 degrees (Hottest temperature since July 13, 1966...and 1 degree shy of monthly record for August.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Give It Up For Autumn

Woo-hoo! Last week we had a 90F day, with high humidity. It was followed by some mid-80F days, with continued high humidity.

Then the front rolled through.

Winds today out of the NW, very strong. Temps in the upper 60F range. Weekend temps look to be below-normal, with some overnights near 35F.

I love this weather !!!

BTW.....If any of you have ever been on a Great Lake when gale-force winds are creating 7-to-10 foot waves, you know what a ride you can have.

Lake Erie's shallowness mixed with gale force winds creates monster waves, with not a lot of space beteen each wave, especially if the winds are from the north, northwest, or northeast. Really can be scary for smaller boats (18' to 26').

Gale force winds from the south and southwest create waves with a lot more spacing. Smaller boats don't have as much trouble, because it is if they are on a hilly road.

Bear

johnelsden1

In Boston on Friday Sept 8, record-tying hi temp of 95 tying that high on that date in 1882 - the oldest records from Boston

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Woo-hoo! Last week we had a 90F day, with high humidity. It was followed by some mid-80F days, with continued high humidity.

Then the front rolled through.

Winds today out of the NW, very strong. Temps in the upper 60F range. Weekend temps look to be below-normal, with some overnights near 35F.

I love this weather !!!

BTW.....If any of you have ever been on a Great Lake when gale-force winds are creating 7-to-10 foot waves, you know what a ride you can have.

Lake Erie's shallowness mixed with gale force winds creates monster waves, with not a lot of space beteen each wave, especially if the winds are from the north, northwest, or northeast. Really can be scary for smaller boats (18' to 26').

Gale force winds from the south and southwest create waves with a lot more spacing. Smaller boats don't have as much trouble, because it is if they are on a hilly road.

Bear

Yeah, this time of year is great. It was in the mid-40s when I woke up this morning.

So today, I put away the cargo shorts and busted out the jeans and sweatshirt for the first time of the season.

Won't be long before frost...although I hope we can still get a few 70s in before that.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Yeah, this time of year is great. It was in the mid-40s when I woke up this morning.

So today, I put away the cargo shorts and busted out the jeans and sweatshirt for the first time of the season.

Won't be long before frost...although I hope we can still get a few 70s in before that.

Looking at the 2 week forecast from Accuweather.com (always wonderfully accurate :r:) it looks like it will generally be in the 70s and 80s for the most part with the exception of this weekend. The last few weeks have just been way too hot. Barrely needed a sheet to sleep with and sweat would be rolling off me when eating dinner. Much more enjoyable to eat now.

Richmond Jake

Damn!! The Weather Channel assigned Jim Cantore to Pensacola. That's too close for comfort given the projected path of this storm. :-o

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
7 days in the 90's this month.
90 forecast for sunday and monday.

Will summer end ?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Is it just me, or does it seem like it's harder for meterologists to predict weather in the spring and the fall? I've noticed that what they say in the 10-day forecasts is often completely different from what they say in today's forecast. Like, I think today was supposed to be in the low 80s. I wake up this morning and it's in the low 60s and is only supposed to reach 71, if that.

It makes it harder to plan and dress for the weather, particularly in the northern tier of the country. I guess it's beause it's such a transitional season. One day it could be 80, the next day it could be 50.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Is it just me, or does it seem like it's harder for meterologists to predict weather in the spring and the fall? I've noticed that what they say in the 10-day forecasts is often completely different from what they say in today's forecast. Like, I think today was supposed to be in the low 80s. I wake up this morning and it's in the low 60s and is only supposed to reach 71, if that.

It makes it harder to plan and dress for the weather, particularly in the northern tier of the country. I guess it's beause it's such a transitional season. One day it could be 80, the next day it could be 50.

Around here it's been easy: Just post a 10-day outlook with highs in the 90s, lows in the 70s, with clear skies. Since early-July, it's been about that day after day after day. Louisville set four individual records in September -- which ended up the third hottest September since record-keeping started. And, it doesn't look like we'll get a break until Monday the 8th.

Did I mention I'm sick and tired of summer?:-(

zman

Cyburbian
The peaks now have snow on them! I was greeted with a fantastic view on the drive in this morning.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Gedunker......Plop this Bear in the same boat, very tired of summer and the hot and humid weather.

Not quite as warm as those in the Ohio Valley, but we have been WAY above normal for northern Ohio. Since September 1st we have had almost 20 days at or above 80F.....and a few 90F days.

The next few days? More of the same, with temps approaching the 90F range.

Bah, humbug !!!

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
NWS just issued the second tornado watch of the day, which runs until 11pm.
First one was between 3 - 8 am.

cololi

Cyburbian
The peaks now have snow on them! I was greeted with a fantastic view on the drive in this morning.

Our peaks have up to 3 feet of snow and I have managed three ski days so far, It just dumped 20+ inches in the mountains, with a bigger storm for this weekend. Life is good.

jmac

Cyburbian
Our peaks have up to 3 feet of snow and I have managed three ski days so far, It just dumped 20+ inches in the mountains, with a bigger storm for this weekend. Life is good.
This is the time of year when I start the webcam checks of your local resorts. I become sickeningly jealous and stop doing so by mid-November. :)

Enjoy it!

Richmond Jake

everyone in Florida in here okay?
We're okay here but the weather has been nasty. The rain gauges are not working at the airport or the air base. Unofficial reports have rainfall totals between 6 and 7 inches over the past 48 hours and it's still raining heavily. Yesterday, we had at least two funnel clouds just off shore. This morning I woke up to a nearly full pool. If this keeps up, it'll overflow (won't be the first time).

We need to get out of the house this morning to pick up the wedding cake and beverages for tomorrow. We gonna get wet.

graciela

Cyburbian
Send the rain this way! We need it really really really really badly. I think we will be rationing before the end of the year!

TOFB

Cyburbian
We got hit with 50 mph winds driving rain and hail last night, getting ready to walk on the field with our son on Senior Night.

The rose survived. . .

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It's been unseasonably warm here in upstate NY all week. It was 67 degrees when I woke up this morning. I haven't needed anything more than a light jacket when walking the dog -- unusual for mid-October.

Last night the spring peepers were peeping... they must be very confused. :-o

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Looks like the Tornado WARNINGS are lining up along the Ohio River already. Hope you and Gedunker stay safe.

Yep, we went under warnings three separate times last night. Our Council even canceled their meeting (they do have a shred of common sense, after all:-D). Louisville had a fair amount of wind damage, but for the most part, we dodged a bullet.

We got close to two inches of rain, but we're still about 8+ inches in deficit. Supposed to be in the low 80s Sunday.:-c

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
At about 1:00 AM on Friday a tornado warning sounded for Williams County (one county west of my county, Fulton). There was no damage, but just a bit west of there, in northeastern Indiana, the small town of Napanee suffered considerable damage. Initial reports indicated that some of the manufacturing plants that manufacture campers and/or motor homes were totally destroyed.

I did a Google Maps search of Napanee and the resolution is such that you can see the manufacturing plants before the damage, with many campers and/or motor homes lined all around the buildings.

As Chairman of my distribution center's Workplace Emergency Plan (WEP) Committee I often use photos of industrial plant damage to illustrate what CAN happen when a large-scale tornado hits a facility that you would think would not blow down in any kind of wind.

When that Williams County warning sounded I took the puppy outside for awhile. The temperature was in the mid-70F range.....really warm and windy. By Noon on Friday, after the front moved through, the temperature was in the mid-50F range, and still windy.

But Sunday, back to near-80F.

A strange October.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The storms thursday night tracted to the south and southeast of my fair city.

zman

Cyburbian
22 beautiful degrees this morning on the High Plains. Winter and cold are COMING! :-D:-D:-D

Planit

Cyburbian
There's no water in my lake

The 2007 drought in the southeast has been quite severe. Coupled with the fact that it did no rain, we had temps over 100 for about three weeks which drastically increased the evaporation rates. It's been reported that Atlanta, Columbia, and Charlotte regions have about 90 days of water left, and someone at work told me that a town in Tenn just "ran of out water."

Several towns in our region have had to "sink" or extension their water intakes. It's common no to see grass growing under dokcs where there used to be water and boats sitting on the mud. There are strict fines for watering your grass, washing your car and other non-essential water use.

Here's a link to some pictures of our region (Charlotte, NC).

> http://www.catawbariverkeeper.org/News/2007%20Drought v2.pdf

We're finally getting alittle rain, but it ain't much.

graciela

Cyburbian
The drought is terrible here. I honestly believe that we will run out of water before Christmas. I don't know what will happen then.

What really annoys me are the people with their heads up their arse that insist upon continuing to waste water. Oh yeah, and those morons that are screaming about the Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee. It is not just about mussels. People in Florida and Alabama have a right to the Chattahoochee's water too!

Bubba

Cyburbian
The drought is terrible here. I honestly believe that we will run out of water before Christmas. I don't know what will happen then.

What really annoys me are the people with their heads up their arse that insist upon continuing to waste water. Oh yeah, and those morons that are screaming about the Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee. It is not just about mussels. People in Florida and Alabama have a right to the Chattahoochee's water too!

Granted - but they should also be under mandatory watering restrictions if they're going to continue to oppose any reduction in the releases from Lanier and Allatoona.

graciela

Cyburbian
Very true Bubba. I guess I am a bit jaded by the media's coverage of the Lake Lanier situation.

I guess technically, GA could lay claim to all of the Chattahoochee's water since the headwaters are in NE GA.:-c

I bet the tubing sucked in Helen this year.:p

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Found this interesting -

UM Weather's newly-expanded WeatherCams page provides access to over 800 weather cameras across North America, the largest list on the web! Click on the links below and travel to your favorite city or resort. If you find a cam that we haven't listed, drop us a line and we'll add it to the list!

http://cirrus.sprl.umich.edu/wxnet/wxcam.html

Richmond Jake

It's been chilly here the past couple of mornings (mid-40s to upper-30s). So we broke out the slippers before walking across the white tile floors.

DSC00942_3_.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
SAW
Now that was a blatant slipper picture posting if I ever saw one. :-D ;) :p

Richmond Jake

Timely!!!

It's getting cool in the evenings here on the panhandle (dare I suggest it's hot tub weather? :-D ), and what does the UPS guy delivery this evening? A pair of red and white plaid flannel sleep pants embroidered with the SF 49ers logo ZG ordered for me!! Sweet!!

(Don't ask her to post any pics :-c .)