• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Sorry mods, too late to edit the last post. Please merge with above.

And ya'll think I dream this stuff up?? I'll be sleeping warm and toasty tonight.

DSC00992_2_.JPG

natski

Cyburbian
The drought is terrible here. I honestly believe that we will run out of water before Christmas. I don't know what will happen then.

What really annoys me are the people with their heads up their arse that insist upon continuing to waste water. Oh yeah, and those morons that are screaming about the Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee. It is not just about mussels. People in Florida and Alabama have a right to the Chattahoochee's water too!

Do you guys have water restrictions? We have been in drought for years and years- i seriously cant remember when we havent been on water restrictions... ok like 5 years or so- but thats a long time!

graciela

Cyburbian
I believe that we have the strongest watering restrictions in the state. A state rep jumped the mayor's case about it saying that it is hurting the "green industry" and putting people out of business.

The mayor did a great job of defending the watering restrictions. I believe the response was along the lines of us being beyond conservation and into drought management which means NO outdoor watering.

I think it is odd that is is legal for people to draw up to 100,000 gallons of water a day out of the river if it runs through their property. Some people here are doing that to water their lawns.:-@

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, the first snowfall of the season is falling over much of the Upper Midwest this evening. After fog and a cold "November rain" all this week, it has finally changed over to snow. They're only predicting a slushy inch or two in my neck of the woods, but it is still always amazing to watch the first snowfall of the season. Luckily, the changeover to snow also didn't happen until well after the afternoon rush here in Chicagoland.

Richmond Jake

Our weather alert radio went off at about 2:30 this morning and a second time a few minutes later because of severe thunderstorms in the region. Couldn't get back to sleep so I got out of bed at 3:30. No sense in tossing and turning and keeping the roommate awake, too.
Over an inch of rain during the past 3 hours and it's still falling. It's going to be a long day.
Is it :b: time yet?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's overcast but a balmy 63F outside. Nice after the cold start of the week which brought some slushy snow. I made hot buttered rum mix last night so it will be a Bacardi kind of afternoon until the turkey comes out of the oven.

donk

Cyburbian
First day of winter, sleety snowy crap weather. waiting for public transit was not fun.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It looks like a major winter storm is going to be developing this weekend across the Upper Midwest. Anywhere from 6 to 18 inches of snow can be expected across northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, and northern Michigan, while a mix of snow and ice is expected in Iowa, southern Wisconsin, northern Illinois, and southern Michigan. They're talking ice accumulations of up to a half inch in many areas. :-c Be careful out there folks!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It looks like a major winter storm is going to be developing this weekend across the Upper Midwest. Anywhere from 6 to 18 inches of snow can be expected across northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, and northern Michigan, while a mix of snow and ice is expected in Iowa, southern Wisconsin, northern Illinois, and southern Michigan. They're talking ice accumulations of up to a half inch in many areas. :-c Be careful out there folks!

In Milwaukee, we're expecting 2" - 5" of snow followed by freezing rain. I'm 2 blocks from Lake Michigan so we'll probably get more rain than anything. Still, I'm hunkering down. If I go anywhere, it'll be on the bus.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Looks like the bulk of this first major winter storm of the 2007-2008 season is going to miss NW Ohio. We will probably get an inch or two of snow, followed by some freezing rain or sleet, followed by temperatures warming overnight. The Sunday forecast is for near 50F....with rain.

It was a bit "niply" this morning. I took Molly (the Golden Retriever puppy) out about 6:00 AM. It was about 12F.
_____

I do get a kick out of the reaction by folks when any kind of winter event is in the forecast. The grocery stores fill-up with near-panic buyers.

Get a life, people. It's not a blizzard. (At least, not around these here parts.)
_____

My friends live in Houghton Lake, in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan. They are expecting about a half-foot of snow.

Bear

TOFB

Cyburbian
Front Line Report

I made it back from the gig no problem last night 2:00 am. Wife and boy stranded in Ames. Roads nearly impassible, barely made it to the store for beer. Go Mizzu!

Pic is out the front door, don't know how it will look but it is damn icy.

Attachments

• DSCF0048.jpg
    DSCF0048.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 100

Richmond Jake

Here on the panhandle, winds are calm and it's 72 degrees F under sunny skies. :)

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Was snowing, now sleeting here in Chicago. Forecast calls for freezing rain later on and warns of power outages possibly lasting several days. Just what I need when I have final papers due next week.:-c

SGB

Cyburbian
It looks like a major winter storm is going to be developing this weekend across the Upper Midwest. Anywhere from 6 to 18 inches of snow can be expected across northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, and northern Michigan, while a mix of snow and ice is expected in Iowa, southern Wisconsin, northern Illinois, and southern Michigan.

By the time this system reaches the Champlain-Adirondack Biosphere Reserve on Sunday evening into Monday, the NWS is currently saying we'll get 8 - 14" of the wet heavy stuff.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's cold here but nothing falling from the sky...yet. My daughter is at the stadium watching the championship high school football game. I declined to sit outside and freeze my arse off.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Yeah, so there's a sheet of ice out there everywhere. I couldn't even open my car door. Gonna have to try using some hot water tomorrow.

I was out driving with my roommate during the height of the storm and it was pretty treacherous. We almost got hit by a utility truck who ran a red light, and saw several cars off the road, including a jack-knifed truck. And it doesn't look to get any better as it's supposed to remain freezing. I would have rather had a foot of snow than half an inch of ice.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
By the time this system reaches the Champlain-Adirondack Biosphere Reserve on Sunday evening into Monday, the NWS is currently saying we'll get 8 - 14" of the wet heavy stuff.

Keep that wet heavy stuff up north! :-D We've got the first snow of the season here. The forecast calls for just a few inches by Monday afternoon, but we'll see. My neighborhood is on a hill and we sometimes get snow when neighborhoods two miles away get rain.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
all the schools in the area are closed. lots of pile-ups on the way to work. my car made it to work but it looks like i might be walking home at the end of the day.

we're smack dab in the middle of this:

us_roc_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
all the schools in the area are closed. lots of pile-ups on the way to work. my car made it to work but it looks like i might be walking home at the end of the day.

I am further south in NJ and it's not looking good for me or my 40 mile commute home. On the way here from where I live it was raining ice pellets which turned to sleet closer to the shore where I work. I predict that we are going to call it a day early around here. Saturday is supposed to be a doozy.

zman

Cyburbian
Snow this past weekend.

Snow earlier this week.

Snow tonight.

This is unlike the weather in Northern Colorado, as the snow comes and then usually melts away quickly. We've been too cold for the melting recently, and have received back-to-back-to-back snow falls to make this winter lover a very happy guy!

Captain Worley

Cyburbian
While you guys are slogging thru the ice and snow, I'm sitting on the porch in shorts as record highs are being set.

Oh, and it FINALLY looks like we might get some rain this weekend, but I suspect the weatherliars are yanking our chain.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
OK I have a question for the weather wise here as I have all my adult life lived along the East or South East of our wonderful nation.

Do any of your weather folks ever get it right where you are? It seems to be the rule that the weather jokers (even weather.gov) get it very wrong.

They call for maybe a dusting of snow after the rush hour and we get 4 inches going like mad at 7am Yes that makes for a LOVELY DC area commute let me tell you.

Or they go crazy with all these high numbers, cancel school in advance and not a cloud shows up. I'm not kidding I can recount more than once living in GSO NC when they would predict doom and you would wake up the morning after to find not a cloud in the sky.

I feel bad for the DOT folks who cant seem to get it right due to the screwy weather folks.

Is this an East coast thing? Is something with our geography off that makes knowing if its going to rain/snow/even have clouds so hard?

zman

Cyburbian
OK I have a question for the weather wise here as I have all my adult life lived along the East or South East of our wonderful nation.

Do any of your weather folks ever get it right where you are? It seems to be the rule that the weather jokers (even weather.gov) get it very wrong.

They call for maybe a dusting of snow after the rush hour and we get 4 inches going like mad at 7am Yes that makes for a LOVELY DC area commute let me tell you.

Or they go crazy with all these high numbers, cancel school in advance and not a cloud shows up. I'm not kidding I can recount more than once living in GSO NC when they would predict doom and you would wake up the morning after to find not a cloud in the sky.

I feel bad for the DOT folks who cant seem to get it right due to the screwy weather folks.

Is this an East coast thing? Is something with our geography off that makes knowing if its going to rain/snow/even have clouds so hard?

The weather in Colorado is known to change by the minute, so it is very hard to predict here. I think that the forcasters here are pretty accurate, but the weather reports we get are very Denver-centric (or the Skiing/Mountain reports), we I live north of the Denver, the forecast can be drastically different. I almost wish I could get the Cheyenne, WY TV report becuase that may be closer to us than Denver.

We're getting our first real snow of the season - they're predicting 4-6" in the course of this afternoon. We have booked a carriage ride through the local "lights in teh park" display with teh kids and ILs, so it should be Beeeeeautiful!

PG - i never ever pay attention to weather forcasts beyond what's happening that day.

graciela

Cyburbian
If we get anything, it is usually a crappy ice storm. I have not seen real snow in a few years. When my brother lived in Albany he really enjoyed my winter visits because I thought using a snowblower was so much fun.:p

Sunday will be a neat day for me since I will be at my Mom's house and they are predicting snow flurries. That is better than nothing!:-D

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"

I am guessing this is just a geographical issue. Our weather people tend to hit the mark about 85% of the time. Granted, when it rains it rains, and here on the west coast (specifically california) our weather is pretty much predictable accept during the summer along the coast when some days it is just socked in with costal fog that doesn't life up. Usually the weather people will be off on the amount of snow or rain, but they did predict it rained or snowed right? It also helps to have such a predictable summer. I guess it just all depends on your climate.

zman

Cyburbian
I would reckon forecasting in Phoenix would be easy.

Summer: HOT!

Winter: WARM!

With a predictable monsoon season to boot.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I've been reading the NWS discussion for my metro about the storm that's predicted for this weekend. It's actually pretty interesting reading about "the models in agreement" or "models all over the place". I'm amazed that the TV weather folks are calling for mostly rain, but the NWS is looking more like a significant snowfall.

(Around here, a significant snowfall is anything above oh, say, 3":-D)

SGB

Cyburbian
We're getting our first real snow of the season - they're predicting 4-6" in the course of this afternoon.

Send more of that white stuff up the Northway a bit, will ya? :-D

We're only supposed to get 2-4" of snow. :r:

Queen B

Cyburbian
We are just about shut down here in the midwest. Huge ice storm passed through. People have been without electric for days with no end in sight. It has been warmer today but tonight it will refreeze.

The school my husband works for has been closed since Tuesday and they have already called school for tomorrow because all the food has gone bad. They will have to get power and then get food before they can start again.

We were without power here at work for a couple hours today. They went out and bought in lunch. Figure we might as well eat if were just standing around with nothing to do.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Sorry to say.... I was sunning by the pool Monday and yesterday, in 80 d. weather. :-$ Supposed to turn ugly this weekend, though, with some big storms Sat nite and then a drop into the 30's in the mornings. Darn.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The commute home wasn't too bad although there are a lot of ice coated trees and it is continuing to rain. The temp is supposed to drop in the wee hours so I imagine it will be pretty slick in the morning.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Just somewhat cold and windy here in Chicago. I could go for some snow right now. If its going to be cold it may as well snow. I don't have a car or own a house so not much of a bother for me.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Snow In The Forecast

Here in NW Ohio we don't get all that much snow in an average year. And it is a rare event, indeed, to have a snowfall that exceeds 10 inches.

NW Ohio's forecast for Saturday and Sunday is a total accumulation of 8-12 inches. We shall see what really happens.

I went out to the garage very early this morning and did some clean-up work.....making the garage an available shelter for Katie and her Honda. :) I am such a nice guy. ;-)

As for the 10-inch-plus snowfalls in this area......maybe once every 5 years or so.
_____

Ya wanna see da real snow dere.....go ta da YooPee. Lots of dat snow already fallin' on da ground. Already 82" inches in Eagle Harbor. Check out dis great link dere.....

http://www.eagleharborweb.net/

Happy shoveling !!!

Bear Having Heart Attack & Never Heard From Again

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Just somewhat cold and windy here in Chicago. I could go for some snow right now. If its going to be cold it may as well snow. I don't have a car or own a house so not much of a bother for me.

Well, you got it. It's already snowed a couple inches up near me, and the whole Chicago area is supposed to get about 3-6 inches of snow this weekend, with greater amounts farther south. Hopefully this will cover up some of that ugly ice.

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
They say we're supposed to dodge the bullet here, but I don't know. My knees and hips are absolutely killing me, which means snow, and lots of it.

donk

Cyburbian
Waiting for a big snow dump to happen. They are calling for 8-12 inches, I'll believe it when I see it, we have about 1 on the ground now.

Queen B

Cyburbian
So we were just about to make head way from the ice storm and then the snow came in. We had 9 inches on the hot tub by 11AM. But we did manage to get out and do a bit of shopping after digging out.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Everybody Sing: The Weather Outside Is Frightful

Hello Cyburbians! Outside my back window, prime viewing location from my computer desk, the snow is falling and blowing. Not too heavy, actually. Here in the Swanton, OH, area I would guess at 5 inches of snow, with a thin layer of ice in the middle (from a warm blast about 3:00 AM......where is my beach umbrella?) is on the cold ground. We expect another 3 inches or so in the next few hours, and it will start to taper off.
_____

Because my home is relatively close to the Toledo Express Airport.....and because that airport is very busy at night because of the huge parcel distribution facility located there (because of long runways, but that's another story).....we usually hear the big lugging jumbos struggling to gain altitude as they takeoff from TOL. This morning I heard what I first thought was jet noise......but it was "thundersnow".

Yes, once in a while certain areas of the country get to enjoy some thundersnow......Great Lakes area is prime, although the actual thundersnow events happen very seldom.

Number of different causal factors......the local weather dude on the tube says our batch was caused by warmer air aloft.
_____

Our Golden Retriever puppy (not so small, anymore) was enjoying her first deeper snow. Hopping around, biting the snow. Molly was having fun......and Katie will scold me :)-c:p:-$:a::-D) when she sees the snow that Molly brought inside, when I brought her in.

:)

Bear Not Making A Snow Angel (How Do You Make A Snow Devil?)

donk

Cyburbian
The weather man was right, it is nice snow storm out there.

Odd thing is we are getting thunder claps every once in awhile, I assume it is really humid out there.

Guess I'll go out shortly and do a quick shovel of the sidewalk (Be nice clear your ice)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I finished studying at 3am and when I emerged from the school building it was a mix of sleet and snow which had begun to stick but the sand/salt trucks weren't out yet. It was very pretty out. The temperature keeps alternating between the high 20s and low 40s so nothing significant has stuck to the ground over the last week.

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
Well, all we got was rain, not snow. My joints aren't that good of a predictor after all. Guess I'm just arthritic. :p

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, here's the report from the far northwest burbs of Chicago:
I got out the yardstick and measured about 5 inches of new snow on the garbage can and patio table. The snowpack is about 7 or 8 inches, with many drifts as high as a foot. The snow is very light and fluffy, which means it's blowing and drifting quite a bit.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
In my part of the Ohio River Valley -
Sat was mostly rain with temps in the mid 30's
Sun morning a mixture of snow and ice covering everything; afternoon with the sun out roads are dry.
but the wind chill = 17 degrees. brrrrr!

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
IP, Detroit is the same way. We were told by local news to expect 15 inches. I don't know if its typical local media hype, or if we were lucky.

I'd like to get more salt (thought I had more left over from last year) but the local streets are still in bad shape. I'll look later on.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
IP, Detroit is the same way. We were told by local news to expect 15 inches. I don't know if its typical local media hype, or if we were lucky.

I'd like to get more salt (thought I had more left over from last year) but the local streets are still in bad shape. I'll look later on.

I guess we were the opposite then, since they sort of downplayed the storm here in Chicagoland. We were only expecting about 2-4 inches at most, when in reality, most of the area saw 5-6 inches, with widespread reports of 8-12 inches across the southern suburbs and south side of the city.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I will never understand how people up north bitch about us in hurricane land. How we can live here, drive up insurance etc. Hurricanes are hit or miss. You got your year with 'canes and your years without. Now, up north every year, you got your ice storms/blizzards/huge freaking winter fuel bills/ even tornadoes are pretty much a given. Why is that OK?