• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I will never understand how people up north bitch about us in hurricane land. How we can live here, drive up insurance etc. Hurricanes are hit or miss. You got your year with 'canes and your years without. Now, up north every year, you got your ice storms/blizzards/huge freaking winter fuel bills/ even tornadoes are pretty much a given. Why is that OK?

Because every winter storm doesn't cause $5 billion in damage like every tropical storm seems to do nowadays. And more people are moving in droves to Hurricane-prone areas instead of to the snowbelt anyways.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Windy and bitter cold here today. And my SIL is flying in from AZ this afternoon... boy, is she in for a shock! :-o

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
As we slide into the 4-day weekend the temperatures here in NW Ohio are already in the lower 40F range. Expecting southerly winds and temps near 50F later today. Rain will start tonight and continue into Sunday morning. Then the mercury starts to slide and the rain will eventually change to snow......but not a lot.

The warm temps, the rain.....should melt most of the snow from last weekend. That snow is all brown and dirty, any-hoo. The new dusting might just give us a picture pretty white Christmas. (Calling Bing.....)

Eagle Harbor, MI, in the Upper Peninsula has had 58 inches of snow in December. I need more snow to fall in that locale.....I am in a contest and picked 80 inches as the December snowfall total. Winner gets a pastie! Woo-hoo!

Bear

zman

Cyburbian
Clear and dry here at my house. This snow lover was teased yesterday as it snowed like hell in Cheyenne, WY and then snowed more in Denver; but last night my area of the state (between the afore mentioned cities) was left dry and windy. :-@

Oh well, more a coming, and it still looks really snowy (on the ground, that is...) here for Christmas.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Hey Z, We are gettin' it!:-D
Got the grandkids snowed in with us. My evil plan has worked!;):-D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, we got a lovely few inches of snowfall here in Chicagoland. It's been snowing since about 3pm New Year's Eve and it's still coming down. The snowfall has been pretty light, but it has been ongoing. We'll probably get about 3-6 inches out of the system, depending where you are in the metro area.

This event was completely unforcasted and came as quite a surprise.

Before this event, December 2007 was already in the record books as one of the Top 10 snowiest Decembers in Chicago and Rockford. This snow event will likely boost this past December up a few notches in the rankings.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How is this for cold, 11 degrees F (-12 C) w/ a windchill of -4 (-20 C).

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
AIB Jaxspra post in the Random thread
Closest Tornado Watch to me is either Mt Vernon, Ill (I-64 & I-57) or Carbondale, Ill.
in effect until 5 am.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
OK, it is early January but earlier today/yesterday, it was 65 degrees in Chicago with a tornado watch covering the whole area and stretching into southern Wisconsin. Tornadoes were sighted near Harvard, IL and Kenosha, WI. :-o

If this isn't weird, I don't know what is. I must say I quite enjoyed the mild weather though.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
supposed to be in the 60s in Upstate NY today. lovely spring weather, too bad it is 4 months too early! :-o

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If this isn't weird, I don't know what is. I must say I quite enjoyed the mild weather though.

Yeah, it seems we might occasionally get a thaw in late Jan. for a couple of days where the temps get into the upper 40's, but nothing like this. Every local weather record was broken yesterday when it got up to 61!

cch

Cyburbian
Yesterday's tornado in northern Illinois took out some homes and businesses about 6 miles from my house. Then it kept going on up into the Kenosha, WI area. Freaky, for this to happen in Jan.
Thankfully, nobody was killed, although there were a few injuries, and one person critical, according to the local news.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
supposed to be in the 60s in Upstate NY today. lovely spring weather, too bad it is 4 months too early! :-o

Ditto here in the eastern part of the state. I actually opened the sunroof in my car! The warm weather melted all the snow in my driveway and a lot of what's on the ground, too... resulting in a soggy mess. :r:

Of course, these warm temperatures aren't expected to be around for the weekend, when I actually have time to spend outdoors. :-(

Iron Ring

Cyburbian
Not exactly 'weather' related, but definitely a 'mother nature is in charge' moment... We just had a death at our local ski resort due to an avalanche. In-bounds on a marked trail... It was in an alpine bowl and a double black diamond trail, but the ski patrol had cleared it and had been doing avalanche control before it was opened. Obviously an investigation is underway, but probably just a freak event.

Scary thought given that I go the the same spot on a regular basis. The poor guy was in his early 20s and had apparently left his friends to go for "one last run"...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado Watch until 9 pm
Tornado Warning next 20 min.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It is snowing. :-D
We are under a Snow Advisory for 1-3 inches. :r:

craines

Cyburbian
Low 70's during the day upper 40's at night...........burr might have throw an extra blankee on the bed or god forbid turn the heat up a skoush.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The snow in Georgia was falling yesterday afternoon as far south as Forsyth (80 or so miles below Atlanta). The level of panic that a few snowflakes can cause around here never ceases to amuse me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There is no weather occurring here right now.

Planit

Cyburbian
We have snow, about 4-5 inches of the white stuff then turned to rain. I got to work ( about 20 south of the house) and they had about an inch, maybe 2 with most of it now slush due to the rain.

Alot of these people can't drive too :-{

zman

Cyburbian
-8 degrees on the hike into work this morning.

Way better than 97 degrees.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I'm happy as long as the temperature in Dallas is in positive double digits. Above and below that just isn't right.

zman

Cyburbian
9 degrees on the morning commute (forgot my touque, it was COLD)

20 degrees on the lunch commute (brought my touque, it was nice).

It snowed enough over lunch to disguise the icy patches vs. cleared sidewalk so it proved treacherous.

Since I work for the town, should I report all the lazy people that haven't shoveled their walks?>

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It got down to -5 last night near me.

The temperature's not supposed to get out of the single digits today. Currently, at noon, it is 0 degrees. Today's forecast high: 3 degrees. Tonight's forecast low: -8. Tomorrow's forecast high: 10. Much of the Upper Midwest is under a wind chill advisory, with wind chills 20-25 degrees below zero for much of the weekend.

Yep, it's officially winter.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Down along the Ohio River -
Current windchill is 2, at least it is sunny.
The forecast for tonight is 7.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Its down to 58 degrees inside my apartment. I know my windows let in a lot of cold air. Its normally around 70 but I can't seem to heat it up at all.

Veloise

Cyburbian
"There's no such thing as bad weather. Just inadequate clothing."

--bicycle club saying

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Storm front just passed through -
were under a Tornado Watch;
in three hr period the temp dropped from 59 to 28;
current wind speed 29 mph w/ gust to 50+;
listening to fire/police dispatch there are many wires and trees down.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
I hope all you Minnesotans and Wisconsiners have your wool underroos on. I heard it dropped so 50 degrees in 9 hours yesterday...one place in Wisconsin went from 43 to -5. :-c:-| And today, wind chill should make it feel like -44. That's just ridiculous.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Yeah, it went from near 50 to 0 here in a matter of hours across Northern Illinois as well.

At one point, at the same time, it was 3 degrees in Clinton, IA and 50 degrees in South Bend, IN.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Preliminary Damage Report from yesterdays storm front passage -

EF 2 Tornado with 2 fatalities that were in a mobile home.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
NWS has confirmed touchdown of an EF1 Tornado with winds of 105 mph over a 17-mile stretch in the southern part of downtown Louisville. The tornado touched down a total of 4 times and caused significant damage although no fatalities.

A smaller EF1 touched down in the county next door causing a tree to fall on a mobile home, killing the occupant.

Much, much too close for comfort, if you ask me.:-x

SGB

Cyburbian
ice storm '08

We've got an ice storm arriving this morning in the NE New York and western New England region. Up to 1/2 inch of icing expected this afternoon.

And here I am at the office, 50 miles from home with no ice skates to get home with. :r:

johnelsden1

The weatherman said sunny today with increasing darkness tonight..............same for tomorrow.........and they get paid for guessing!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Anyone know what the Groundhog is supposed to do tomorrow? I'd like to at least get some ice in Austin this year but I doubt it will happen.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Blizzard Of 1978

Last week was the 30th anniversary of the "Blizzard of 1978". This massive storm smashed into the lower Great Lakes (especially northern Ohio and southern Michigan) in late January, 1978. Because this storm was OUR "storm of the century", the anniversary received quite a bit of airplay and newpaper coverage.

Not sure if this record remains.....the storm produced the lowest barometric pressure reading ever recorded in the "lower 48 states" (reading taken at Cleveland). In 1978 the forecasting was much less accurate and much less sophisticated. Two major fronts merged over northern Ohio, creating the intense conditions.

Temperatures were in the mid-30s and it was raining when the storm entered NW Ohio. Temps quickly dropped and the winds climbed to a steady 60+ mph. Winds on western Lake Erie were gusting at 120 mph. The 16-inch snowfall was totally horizontal, because of the wind.

Quite a few people died in the storm, mostly those who were stranded in cars and trucks and tried to find shelter. A rural person died in their own yard.....couldn't find the farm house after milking the cows. The President sent in soldiers to help clear the roads.

This Bear was living in suburban Perrysburg. We lost power for a few days but did not lose our heat.

After that storm the Toledo area had a quite normal winter, with no more major snow or wind. The "Blizzard of 1978" is a storm that older folks in NW Ohio measure the severity of a winter.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:-o So this is winter ?
60 + degrees w/ a thunderstorm at 5:30 am. :-c

Bubba

Cyburbian
Death toll from last night's storms and tornadoes up to 45. Yikes. The leading edge of the front is just starting to push into the Atlanta area.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
How well does your community's TV stations cover severe weather ?

Very well. Anytime it snows over 5 inches, or everytime there's a heat wave, or an arctic blast, or a severe thunderstorm, or a flood, it's always top story, and the coverage typically lasts at least 5-10 minutes. Sometimes, even when it's very windy, that'll make top story.

Last August, we had a very strong line of thunderstorms move through, and the afternoon news broadcast from 4-5pm was almost entirely on the storms.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
I know the answer to this question, scientifically, but it still boggles my mind that it can be -40º in Minnesota yesterday while it's a balmy 78º and sunny down here in Texas. I love the Sun Belt.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Tornado watch since noon. RJ just said the severe weather will hit in about 5 min, and it has started with an increase in wind. Is it just me, or does this specific time frame stuff make other people anxious, cuz half the time, very little happens? Last week we got the big ass weather radio alert about severe weather, with "damaging winds", etc at whatever time, and we had 20 min of rain and it was over. "The severe weather will be over bayou redneck at 8:20 p.m., bayou panhandle at 8:25..."

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
the wind is whistling like a freight train off the harbor against my office window, the rain turns to ice then snow and back again is hitting my office window so hard it's as if it's telling me to get out of here

a storm from the northwest is meeting a storm from the south and they are not getting along -

town hall just closed so that's why I am online during the day, btw -

be careful driving everyone - ;-)